Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I think I posted about this in another thread but I realized that the only reason I'm hyper-aware of this bug in particular is because I spent my elementary schooling in Michigan in the 90s when the whole state was trying unsuccessfully to stop them from invading. them and zebra mussels, instant state of readiness lol.

I can confirm, there was widespread panic over both of these in northwest lower Michigan in the same timeframe.

When the moths first arrived, I accidentally bumped into one on a tree and got some spines stuck in my like splinters. You can bet they were on my poo poo list quick after that. I also had a friend who stepped on a zebra mussel and cut their foot open badly, so they were feared as well.

It didn’t register until much later about the moth name being inappropriate, so I’m glad we’ve move on from that nickname.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

same in ny. it will say no rain and then when it starts raining they will update it to say rain all along or it will say rain and keep pushing it back an hour at a time until you go to bed and forget

I've noticed that being a thing when it's stupid humid out and rain just unpredictably materializes out of that vs how weather used to work in east to west pressure fronts.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
https://twitter.com/NateB_Panic/status/1677322259529170954?s=20

I thought this was a 7-14 day outlook but it's valid Jul 11. Still GFS but lmao

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Apex Rogers posted:

When the moths first arrived, I accidentally bumped into one on a tree and got some spines stuck in my like splinters. You can bet they were on my poo poo list quick after that. I also had a friend who stepped on a zebra mussel and cut their foot open badly, so they were feared as well.

I was sitting on a bus bench once under a tree that I didn't notice was infested they were falling all over me and under my shirt and I broke out in hives all over it was loving lame.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Perry Mason Jar posted:

https://twitter.com/NateB_Panic/status/1677322259529170954?s=20

I thought this was a 7-14 day outlook but it's valid Jul 11. Still GFS but lmao

They'll be fine, they just got a fresh delivery of water to keep themselves drenched and safe from the heat

https://twitter.com/cllrLisaScott/status/1677345689448087554

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

xiaoren posted:

Had tons of big ol' trees falling over in the storms this fall. The city's response was of course to remove them, and then cull some more. Looking forward to seeing how they fare the next storm!

This happened in my neighborhood over the 15 years I've been here. A big storm knocked down a bunch of trees, so everybody cleaned up and cut down other trees deemed sus. A few houses cut down all their trees. This directly exposed different trees to the wind and they blew down in the next big storm. Rinse, repeat, now there are a bunch of houses with dirt yards full of stumps

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

NeonPunk posted:

They'll be fine, they just got a fresh delivery of water to keep themselves drenched and safe from the heat

https://twitter.com/cllrLisaScott/status/1677345689448087554

:catstare:

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
the automobile is earth's dominant life form

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Hold on... Forecasts can change?

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
2 aggressive

Psycho Society has issued a correction as of 05:05 on Jul 8, 2023

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

SirPablo posted:

Hold on... Forecasts can change?

lmao if you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes

- Seattle proverb

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Lacrosse posted:

- Seattle proverb

several people told me this when I moved to Texas which is just so stupid. The forecast is always hot and sunny. it hardly ever changes. except when Pablo forecasts rain because lmao

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

TehSaurus posted:

several people told me this when I moved to Texas which is just so stupid. The forecast is always hot and sunny. it hardly ever changes. except when Pablo forecasts rain because lmao

when they say that in Texas they mean if you don’t like when it rains.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I’ve always found that the most reliable weather forecasts for both the short and long term come from the local NWS office.

You might not get hour-by-hour forecasts, but the general “hey here’s what to expect in our region for today/tomorrow/in the next week” information in the forecast discussions are hard to beat in terms of accuracy.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Lacrosse posted:

- Seattle proverb

as a MN transplant i found seattle weather remarkably stable

things are way more volatile in the midwest

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

summer number three of tropical weather in nyc. super humid, afternoon thunderstorms

totally normal

idgi it's july, that is normal?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Lacrosse posted:

- [my location in the midlatitudes] proverb

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

idgi it's july, that is normal?

No, shut the gently caress up it's a sign

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

right right, climate change not weather change. weather changes all the time. my bad

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Real hurthling! posted:

they should have pretended they were always called gypsum moths and gas lit us about how we made it racist colloquially.

Ahh, the Grumpy Cat strategy

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Lacrosse posted:

- Seattle proverb

in my experience no matter where you live people will say this and attribute it to where they live

everyone thinks they're in the one part of the world where abrupt weather changes happen

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Dog Case posted:

This happened in my neighborhood over the 15 years I've been here. A big storm knocked down a bunch of trees, so everybody cleaned up and cut down other trees deemed sus. A few houses cut down all their trees. This directly exposed different trees to the wind and they blew down in the next big storm. Rinse, repeat, now there are a bunch of houses with dirt yards full of stumps

there’s a hundred trees in my “yard” and people keep saying the wind is gonna bring them down but they’re all interlinked and shield each other and so they rarely fall

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
storm murdered a bunch of old pecan trees here, hate to see it.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

i am harry posted:

weather apps have become useless in Colorado as of late…they still tell you the weather but you can look at it one hour and an hour later get an entirely different forecast for the rest of the day and week

same in washington state. i even downloaded a different weather app a month ago cause apple weather seemed so unreliable. still bogus forecasts.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the weather is just pure chaos now. meteorologists have been made obsolete by climate change

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Stereotype posted:

the weather is just pure chaos now. meteorologists have been made obsolete by climate change

They're not obsolete, we can still burn them to keep warm during the winter.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Stereotype posted:

there’s a hundred trees in my “yard” and people keep saying the wind is gonna bring them down but they’re all interlinked and shield each other and so they rarely fall

one weird trick foresters love

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Stereotype posted:

it's like there's some sort of crisis in their modeling

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

redleader posted:

they should be penalized each time they miss. consequences are a loving must.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

mawarannahr posted:

same in washington state. i even downloaded a different weather app a month ago cause apple weather seemed so unreliable. still bogus forecasts.

I’ve been having good luck with Windy and rolling bones while looking at their multiple forecasts to compare and contrast.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

FlapYoJacks posted:

when they say that in Texas they mean if you don’t like when it rains.

you say that but many of them were explicit that it’s because “The weather changes so often”

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

TehSaurus posted:

you say that but many of them were explicit that it’s because “The weather changes so often”

When I look at Texas I just see hot and brown, but I'm sure somebody that lives there can see variation in the hot and brown that they could consider "changes"

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Dog Case posted:

When I look at Texas I just see hot and brown, but I'm sure somebody that lives there can see variation in the hot and brown that they could consider "changes"

hot and brown contrasts with the average resident of texas, who is ugly and white

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

redleader posted:

It's always 5G.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/5g-wireless-could-interfere-with-weather-forecasts/

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mawarannahr posted:

they should be penalized each time they miss. consequences are a loving must.

Spoken like a true italian

uber_stoat posted:

storm murdered a bunch of old pecan trees here, hate to see it.

loving rip, love pecans

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Lovely. loving up science so my fridge can phone home.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

quote:

Just where the FCC will go next with its Frontier Spectrum policy on 5G is unclear. According to the House Science Committee, it has already taken in almost $2 billion from 29 winning bidders for space on the 24 gigahertz band.

🤑

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

i am harry posted:

weather apps have become useless in Colorado as of late…they still tell you the weather but you can look at it one hour and an hour later get an entirely different forecast for the rest of the day and week

I was about to post this. In like 2017 it was pointed out that 5g operated at the same frequency as water detection for weather radar (if I’m remembering right). And that forecast accuracy would be reduced 30%(!) if they didn’t change the tech.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
lol i wonder which they're gonna choose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

forecasts have always had issues, nothing has changed, no big deal, why does anyone ever bother posting in this thread