Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: dead gay comedy forums)

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

my dad posted:

Thank you for posting on the subject, you've piqued my curiosity and it's becoming something I'm interested in learning more about when I get the chance.

If you haven’t read it, Open Veins of Latin America is a pleasant way to dip your toe in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Dialectical materialism is just "the truth lies somewhere in the middle" aka Hegelian Radial Centrism (HRC)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

dead gay comedy forums posted:

It's due to the flux of eastern trade. Genoa and Venice were the main commercial hubs of Asiatic commodities through the Mediterranean, which is why merchant republics were a thing. Once the Turks take Constantinople, there's a huge upheaval on that system of trade, which is a primary motivator to why Italian capital goes to Iberia in droves: the Portuguese were developing tremendous nautical expertise through access of Arabic knowledges of math, astronomy and engineering, besides know-how in Atlantic seafaring. Thanks to that, they were able to establish trading posts along Northwestern Africa and colonize Madeira and Azores, where the first mercantile plantations were established. Genoa was already invested in Portuguese seafaring even before the Black Plague, but the fall of Byzantium brought an entire new level of financing.

As Portuguese efforts advance around Africa, alternative sources for those commodities prove to be a boon to Genoa, as the Mediterranean distribution system readjusts to the new Atlantic influx of trade. After reaching India, the commercial dividends of those journeys become truly spectacular, as the Ottomans can be entirely bypassed through the Atlantic trade. In that moment, places like Milan and Pisa were having a substantial development of manufacturing capabilities to service the Genoese part of the Mediterranean trading system, BUT THEN

Spain reached the Americas. The Burgundian Low Countries, which correspond to nowadays Belgium and most of the Netherlands, became Spanish by matter of succession. Antwerpen and Brugge had a deluge of gold and silver to their manufacturing base, which spread around further to places such as Amsterdam and Rotterdam. Through the Low Countries, two other nations that finally got their poo poo together and had something resembling a state started to get their cut of that gold: French guilds provided a huge portion of the industrial goods of the Spanish market, while English manufacturing - without having the advantage of the port of Calais anymore - seized a minor share, but compensated by having benefits with the Portuguese thanks to their long diplomatic history.

The Atlantic trade displaced the Mediterranean entirely and shifted the primary flow of capital northwards, in a very neat triangle between Belgium, France and England. It's no coincidence at all that the European powers to emerge were those three: France, in particular, had almost a century of guild expansion and organization of their manufacturing capability, outmatching any other country in the continent. It was Dutch manufacturing that provided Portugal with the means to process sugar in Brazil, with the required dividends being paid. The Iberian powers were so diseased with wealth that it took almost two centuries to realize how utterly compromised they had become and how much of that gold was directly put to the advantage of their adversaries, funding the expansion and development of their colonial enterprises and, later on, forming the basis of their properly industrial revolutions.

quoting for a new page

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Rotterdam wasn’t that major a factor back then. Amsterdam, Middelburg, Utrecht, Vlissingen, Hoorn, Den Haag, these are the places that drove the so-called golden age at least as much or significantly more.

It’s just that Rotterdam is the major harbor now and Zeeland and North-Holland North (everything north of Amsterdam) are backwaters nowadays.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

my dad posted:

Thank you for posting on the subject, you've piqued my curiosity and it's becoming something I'm interested in learning more about when I get the chance.

Thanks! Personally, I think historical formation is a very good topic within a "Marxist learning hobby", so to speak, because there is plenty of good reading all around and can be done by oneself at their own pace.

Orange Devil posted:

Rotterdam wasn’t that major a factor back then. Amsterdam, Middelburg, Utrecht, Vlissingen, Hoorn, Den Haag, these are the places that drove the so-called golden age at least as much or significantly more.

It’s just that Rotterdam is the major harbor now and Zeeland and North-Holland North (everything north of Amsterdam) are backwaters nowadays.

Thanks for the correction! I was recalling from the top of my head, got Rotterdam wrong probably because what you said.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Please tell me if you have anything on Class or Economic Trade in ancient Japan, preferably Pre-Edo, DGCF

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

classically most government work would be nonproductive or reproductive labour, meaning that it's not directly involved in the production of commodities from which profits can be readily extracted, but sets the stage for a system in which such production - and extraction - can take place. in most capitalist economies government employees are subject to pretty much the exact same market forces as private sector workers, because they're selling their labour on the same market and the whole point of this endeavour is to produce surplus value, which is difficult if your workforce can just take a comfortable and better-paid government job.

the non-profit sector is typically just some civil society group going into those same sectors for kicks, more or less. it's a weird one, but it generally doesn't produce value in the marxian sense.

Look up Block Grant funding and all will be revealed!:flashfact:

V. Illych L. posted:

re: your first point, the capitalist class is well-organised as a class, but it is not really capable of this kind of collective nefariousness or unity of purpose. capitalists are as locked in to this ride as the rest of us - if they falter in their extractive activity, they get eaten.

not to be rude, but what exactly do you think NATO and the IMF is?

BornAPoorBlkChild has issued a correction as of 08:39 on Jun 29, 2023

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
if capital was well organized as a class there wouldn't be a nato

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

indigi posted:

if capital was well organized as a class there wouldn't be a nato

Developing Nations would disagree with you vehemently

like, "to the point of a gun"-level of disagreement

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
NATO and the IMF are examples of capitalist class organization, they overlay class relations to smooth the process of exploitation without the hitches that would otherwise develop from intra class conflict as petty fiefdoms war against each other in the absence of some supranational authority, although that doesn't prevent that from happening anyway either via private means or public ones by far.

I think to distill what you're getting at, its a lot different to call a bunch of people with obscene money doing things similarly out of competition with each other than to believe it's all a well coordinated plan by men twirling moustaches and chuckling heartily, because that's what distinguishes the former reality from the latter conspiracy theory

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

Look up Block Grant funding and all will be revealed!:flashfact:

not to be rude, but what exactly do you think NATO and the IMF is?

institutions of empire, representing the interests of especially finance capital (and especially american finance capital) in the world

i do not believe that there's been an IMF board meeting where they calculate on the destruction of means of production involved in catastrophic climate change and then distribute a memo or something to the effect of "yeah we're loving the world but imagine the profits involved post-loving". that's too complicated - what the capitalist and imperial organisations can do is enforce certain principles or tendencies, such as the military enforcement of the US sphere of interest in europe or the incredibly skewed rules of financial play. this inevitably leads to environmental destruction, but it's not something we could theoretically convince the empire to stop doing because if it stops pushing us in that direction it's a violation of its core premise

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

not that they don't often have a similar impact in practice - for instance, the dogma of hyperbolic discounting of investment gains is to me completely mad and suicidal, but it is also very academically sound and typically enforced quite vigorously by e.g. the IMF, and entirely accepted among the bourgeois elite

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

V. Illych L. posted:

not that they don't often have a similar impact in practice - for instance, the dogma of hyperbolic discounting of investment gains is to me completely mad and suicidal, but it is also very academically sound and typically enforced quite vigorously by e.g. the IMF, and entirely accepted among the bourgeois elite

Can you expand on this a little bit? I'm curious where it comes up. I'm in a pension and we're often fighting the opposite tendency: to under-discount future pension costs, show a high "unfunded" liability, and use that to threaten closing/etc. the pension.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Developing Nations would disagree with you vehemently

like, "to the point of a gun"-level of disagreement

the developing nation of Russia

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

indigi posted:

the developing nation of Russia

there's more than one collaborative group of international bourgeoise and the groups compete with each other

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
which is why I specified one

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Please tell me if you have anything on Class or Economic Trade in ancient Japan, preferably Pre-Edo, DGCF

I can give it a look; somebody in the party ought to know a Japanese Marxist that did some quality work there.

(On that note, unfortunately, Japanese Marxism is something that we have comparatively very little knowledge of, while being a highly productive tradition. The two names that I know something about are Hajime Kawakami, a quality theoretician, and Katayama Sen, an internationalist militant that also went to help the Communist Party of Mexico and American communists too)

historicalmaterialism.org posted:

From its initial entry into the Japanese intellectual world in the late 1800s, Marxist analysis quickly came to constitute a vast and osmotic field that permeated all aspects of academic life, historical thought, forms of political organisation, and ways of analysing the social condition. Numerous examples testify to this, including the striking fact that the first Collected Works of Marx and Engels in the world was not published in German, Russian, French or English, but in Japanese, by Kaizōsha publishing house in 1932 in 35 volumes, overseen by Sakisaka Itsurō.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

dead gay comedy forums posted:

I can give it a look; somebody in the party ought to know a Japanese Marxist that did some quality work there.

(On that note, unfortunately, Japanese Marxism is something that we have comparatively very little knowledge of, while being a highly productive tradition. The two names that I know something about are Hajime Kawakami, a quality theoretician, and Katayama Sen, an internationalist militant that also went to help the Communist Party of Mexico and American communists too)

don't forget the kuruma school, surely someone from there did some of the work being requested

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Can you expand on this a little bit? I'm curious where it comes up. I'm in a pension and we're often fighting the opposite tendency: to under-discount future pension costs, show a high "unfunded" liability, and use that to threaten closing/etc. the pension.

you know how all new infrastructure and housing is set to last for no more than ~40 years

also it is a shockingly large part of the reason for why our measures against environmental destruction are so piddling, because again most of the really bad poo poo was most of a lifetime away when the decisions were being made and at that time the opportunity cost was determined to be too high

see the controversy around the stern review, for instance

V. Illych L. has issued a correction as of 18:45 on Jun 29, 2023

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

V. Illych L. posted:

you know how all new infrastructure and housing is set to last for no more than ~40 years

also it is a shockingly large part of the reason for why our measures against environmental destruction are so piddling, because again most of the really bad poo poo was most of a lifetime away when the decisions were being made and at that time the opportunity cost was determined to be too high

see the controversy around the stern review, for instance

A lot of environmental economics is phony bullshit aside from assumed stuff like discount rate. There was a really enlightening article a year or two ago explaining how the most prominent guy in the field uses models like "Fairbanks GDP / mean temp in 2023 compared to Phoenix GDP / mean temp in 2023" to claim that climate change will have minimal economic impact, cause there's little relationship between mean temp and GDP today. Broadly I assume all cost benefit analyses are along these lines. Discount rate is probably one tool they use to accomplish "whatever the right person wants".

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
People make fun of physics with the spherical cow, but economics takes the cake for poorly thought out assumptions that can't possibly hold up.

I guess perfect information would be the spherical cow of economics.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/african_stream/status/1674300583317057536

👑

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

SorePotato posted:

Dialectical materialism is just "the truth lies somewhere in the middle" aka Hegelian Radial Centrism (HRC)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lol, I like this one. It's got a certain getfiscal panache.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

A lot of environmental economics is phony bullshit aside from assumed stuff like discount rate. There was a really enlightening article a year or two ago explaining how the most prominent guy in the field uses models like "Fairbanks GDP / mean temp in 2023 compared to Phoenix GDP / mean temp in 2023" to claim that climate change will have minimal economic impact, cause there's little relationship between mean temp and GDP today. Broadly I assume all cost benefit analyses are along these lines. Discount rate is probably one tool they use to accomplish "whatever the right person wants".

oh for sure, this is all superstructure, but economism is a very powerful ideology and discounting practices are a core and little-examined part of that ideology

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

kwame ture is the goat

i rewatch his 1972 lecture at howard pretty much yearly

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

croup coughfield posted:

hate this fuckin avi go post int he marxism thread i wanna give u this one back

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!

:dafuq:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

So what is the deal with this guy? Why do people think he was an op?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
who thinks stokely carmichael was an op?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Wasn't there some weird FBI connection that he had? Or did I get bamboozled?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Wasn't there some weird FBI connection that he had? Or did I get bamboozled?

Yeah the connection is that the FBI tried to ruin/end his life and he had to move to Africa

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Kwame Ture was such an op he was a high priority target for COINTELPRO lmao

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

HiroProtagonist posted:

kwame ture is the goat

i rewatch his 1972 lecture at howard pretty much yearly

drat this is good

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I don't think there's a single influential figure on the left where you can't one group or another that thinks that person is an op

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

https://philippinerevolution.nu/2023/06/21/a-transwoman-in-the-peoples-army/

“As an LGBT youth, our role is important in advancing the revolution. To change society’s perception, we need to transform society itself.”

—Ka Daisy, trans woman and red fighter of the NPA

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

A while ago I came across an examination of the nordic model within the american imperialist system, and I can't find it for the life of me.
This is a bit of a long shot but does anyone have good material on this matter?

It was a youtube interview with a scholar but articles are just as good if not better.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
norway has five million people. that's nobody. that's the nordic model: you have huge oil resources, no people, and it's cold.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

double nine posted:

A while ago I came across an examination of the nordic model within the american imperialist system, and I can't find it for the life of me.
This is a bit of a long shot but does anyone have good material on this matter?

It was a youtube interview with a scholar but articles are just as good if not better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ri20jd4iFk

If not this specefic interview, Torkil is still probably the scholar you want

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

webcams for christ posted:

incredible thread title rn

but don't worry guys: our boy Slavoj has some great ideas

link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine