Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OK now I feel like I'm going insane because I definitely remember one of the selling points of digital being that you could get on-demand programming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
You might be thinking of the Freeview app that does this but that's via internet connection. Freeview itself is just live TV

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah all the “on demand” poo poo on sky/virgin also requires you have an internet connection, because it’s just streaming.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Speaking of the BBC, probably two years ago I was all in favour of just making the licence a tax related to house size or on broadband, whatever, even though I haven't had a license in 7 years
I've completely changed my mind on that now, I've soured so much on the beep I don't want any of my money paying for any of it.

It's complete spite talking here, my politics should mean I'm in favour of a publicly funded broadcaster, I just loving hate the Bbc these days. More so than sky or itv, they are worse in some ways but because the BBC should be better, it annoys me much more it isn't.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Mega Comrade posted:

Speaking of the BBC, probably two years ago I was all in favour of just making the licence a tax related to house size or on broadband, whatever, even though I haven't had a license in 7 years
I've completely changed my mind on that now, I've soured so much on the beep I don't want any of my money paying for any of it.

It's complete spite talking here, my politics should mean I'm in favour of a publicly funded broadcaster, I just loving hate the Bbc these days. More so than sky or itv, they are worse in some ways but because the BBC should be better, it annoys me much more it isn't.

I think there is a case for separating BBC so called news and current affairs from BBC drama and non- political documentaries. They do commission some excellent stuff eg from Attenborough but their current affairs is essentially establishment propaganda and their idea of balance completely screwed. Not sure if there would be a way of separating the two that wouldn't cost significantly more.

I think your feeling about the BBC "it should be better" is akin to the Labour Party should be better but it isn't.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

You might be thinking of the Freeview app that does this but that's via internet connection. Freeview itself is just live TV
No, various wikipedia articles mention streaming and interactive services and I'm too dumb to understand the engineering speak around it. It's frustrating though because google is being loving useless and all searches for more detail assume i'm either talking about internet services or i'm trying to buy a set top box.

From what I recall they were poo poo and barely anything was available (and it's possible I'm conflating it with early Virgin Media cable), but maybe that's a limitation of the technology rather than (as I must have assumed at the time) that they didn't make good use of the service. Probably more likely I heard "Interactive TV" at the time and got overexcited.

Regardless, I have always hated TV schedules. My parents keep telling me to set aside some time on x night to watch a show they think is good and I just can't imagine blocking out my entire night like that for the TV, that seems deranged behaviour to me.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I think there is a case for separating BBC so called news and current affairs from BBC drama and non- political documentaries. They do commission some excellent stuff eg from Attenborough but their current affairs is essentially establishment propaganda and their idea of balance completely screwed. Not sure if there would be a way of separating the two that wouldn't cost significantly more.

I think your feeling about the BBC "it should be better" is akin to the Labour Party should be better but it isn't.

Besides the nature shows, BBC have never provided much for me personally. But I always considered it a service of good for the country. But now it's pumping out a lot of the same rubbish the other channels do and it's current affair stuff is awful.

I guess I've got some friends who still highly rate cbbc

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

No, various wikipedia articles mention streaming and interactive services and I'm too dumb to understand the engineering speak around it. It's frustrating though because google is being loving useless and all searches for more detail assume i'm either talking about internet services or i'm trying to buy a set top box.

From what I recall they were poo poo and barely anything was available (and it's possible I'm conflating it with early Virgin Media cable), but maybe that's a limitation of the technology rather than (as I must have assumed at the time) that they didn't make good use of the service. Probably more likely I heard "Interactive TV" at the time and got overexcited.

Regardless, I have always hated TV schedules. My parents keep telling me to set aside some time on x night to watch a show they think is good and I just can't imagine blocking out my entire night like that for the TV, that seems deranged behaviour to me.

You might be conflating a few things - during the big switchover campaign virgin/sky/bt all took the opportunity to advertise products that were already digital, which would have included some catch-up poo poo (via broadband connection).

They were listed alongside freeview as options in most of the official “where can I get some of that there digital telly?” guides.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jul 8, 2023

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

They were listed alongside freeview as options in most of the official “where can I get some of that there digital telly?” guides.
Yeah that's probably it. I hate finding out I've been walking around with wrong information in my head, because it means all the other info built on that foundation is also wrong.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Mega Comrade posted:

The BBC in principle should be good, but it's been corrupted so much that more people essentially wanna defund it. The alternative being bullshit like GB News.

The only way it can really be a trusted source of information (as it's been pretending to be for years) is if it's completely depoliticised and independently operated by people totally unaffiliated with the government. Which basically won't happen.

In some fantasy universe the government is properly staffed with ministers representing the fields they used to work in (ie a headteacher becomes education minister), they then work with experienced education civil servants (maybe they're all ex teachers too) and they get to decide what educational poo poo goes out on the telly.

Not some Eton bellend who's bank account hit the 10million minimum threshold for "government job".

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Building an entire epistemological framework for reality based on the mechanics of Freeview tv

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/MittensOff/status/1677614451321700353

:allears:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
"I don't have anything against teachers or what their political views are...but hanging is too good for them!"

Edit: Love the pretend pub setting, Farage did that when he did his thing talking to posh twats about how the poors are uncouth and needed discipline.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jul 8, 2023

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/ScarletHowes/status/1677613305874063360

I'm seeing Jeremy Vine's name mentioned on twitter. The BBC say that the person involved has been taken off the schedules, so I guess whoever it is will be outed by their absence

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

It's also the Sun. So it could be completely made up.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
https://www.economist.com/britain/2023/07/06/britons-turn-into-borat-when-it-comes-to-health-housing-and-avocados

A somewhat silly article but,

quote:

Britain has low expectations. Treating a bare necessity as wanton decadence is common. Bog-standard housing developments are described as “luxury”. A redbrick, four-bed house in Lichfield, a cathedral city in the Midlands, is by no definition luxurious. Yet it is marketed that way and costs £400,000. Britain does not build luxury homes, it builds expensive ones.

Part of this is blissful ignorance. Britons sometimes seem unaware of how poor the country’s housing stock is compared with elsewhere.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

fuctifino posted:

I'm seeing Jeremy Vine's name mentioned on twitter. The BBC say that the person involved has been taken off the schedules, so I guess whoever it is will be outed by their absence

Not exactly laser focused on the one option are they

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

fuctifino posted:

It’s Graham Norton according to my sources

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Mega Comrade posted:

It's also the Sun. So it could be completely made up.

"big name in media is a wasteman" is the most believable thing they could print.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

NotJustANumber99 posted:

To be fair, it is the BBC

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I think we can rule out Waterman on the grounds of being dead

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

jeremy vine not appearing on jeremy vine wouldn't prove anything. he might be out for a bike ride.

and even if it was him, the vineverse is now self-sustaining, so there would be no upside.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Since the papers all have big lists of which TV personalities are nonces, maybe the could compare notes and just publish the names of everyone who they don't have dirt on? It would save us all some time rather than just coming out with a new scandal whenever there's a slow news day.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah all the “on demand” poo poo on sky/virgin also requires you have an internet connection, because it’s just streaming.

It's the kind of streaming that you can't get otherwise though. Yes there are online apps like Now TV but the selection is on an entirely different level.

Also there isn't that much difference between it and linear TV, in practice it's all streaming video with similar codecs.

e: Part of the reason for bigger selection is that you can put in a lot more DRM when you are doing the decryption on a closed box, also just licensing terms in general are better.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jul 8, 2023

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Lol There is a weird subset of Gammons who hate Chris Packham and are desperate for some kind of dirt on him.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

Lol There is a weird subset of Gammons who hate Chris Packham and are desperate for some kind of dirt on him.
Farmers and country types. They've spent the last few years tying dead crows to his property and trying to poison his dog because he occasionally draws attention to cruelty in livestock practices, and I think he protested the badger cull as well.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Would Packham have £35k throwaway money?
Norton def would have.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Private Speech posted:

It's the kind of streaming that you can't get otherwise though. Yes there are online apps like Now TV but the selection is on an entirely different level.

Also there isn't that much difference between it and linear TV, in practice it's all streaming video with similar codecs.

e: Part of the reason for bigger selection is that you can put in a lot more DRM when you are doing the decryption on a closed box, also just licensing terms in general are better.

Yeah the point was that you don’t get “on demand” content over normal OTA broadcast tv because that’s not how OTA tv works.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

yeah you get the “red button” extra stuff but it’s not really on demand like netflix

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah the red button poo poo is just tapping into the stuff already being delivered as part of the broadcast, it’s basically fancy teletext.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
The BBC Red Button is being phased out.
It won't work on newer TVs from now on.
Was just announced recently.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Farmers and country types. They've spent the last few years tying dead crows to his property and trying to poison his dog because he occasionally draws attention to cruelty in livestock practices, and I think he protested the badger cull as well.
Someone also blocked his gates with a land rover and set fire to it.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-60758144

The landed gentry and especially the shooting/hunting fraternity absolutely hate his guts.

happyhippy posted:

Would Packham have £35k throwaway money?
Norton def would have.
He did just win £90,000 in libel damages...

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 8, 2023

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

BBC had (and still have?) a bunch of freeview services for e.g. the Olympics which depend on running a fixed number of other video streams that you get switched between.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I think you’re thinking of Freeview+ which integrates streaming services like BBC iPlayer so you can scroll backwards through the schedules and watch a programme that was broadcast previously. It requires an internet connection though.

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
Edit: nm, Can't be arsed

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

happyhippy posted:

The BBC Red Button is being phased out.
It won't work on newer TVs from now on.
Was just announced recently.

That's news to me and I work in the industry. Announced where?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Private Speech posted:

There absolutely is because it's not about the codecs. On-demand television is unicast (your device makes a TCP/IP connection to a server and downloads the way anything else does on the regular internet). Linear is either multicast UDP over your ISP's private network or (still, for now) Digital Terrestrial Television coming over an aerial which doesn't require the internet at all. The fact that it's encapsulated in similar (not identical, linear uses Transport Streams that can encode multiple channels in one stream and re-broadcasts metadata regularly because DTT especially by its nature is not a reliable transport mechanism) ways isn't the big difference. The important bit here isn't so much how the video is encoded as in linear is obviously a one-way process - you don't get to choose what to watch on a given channel, but also how you implement the two varies quite a lot.

That's without getting into stuff like DASH which is how unicast can vary the quality of your stream depending on your internet connection so lowering your resolution if it has problems etc. Can't do that with linear, obviously.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Payndz posted:

I stayed with a relative overnight and this morning saw live TV for the first time in years. It was whatever the BBC's breakfast show is called, but I had to ask her "Is this ITV?" (Yes, I'm An Old and still think of ITV as the trashy downmarket channel.)

It had a story on the Liverpool woman who was randomly shot and killed by some shithead with a submachine gun, which is an objectively terrible thing. But the way it was presented was a cross between Simon Bates' Our Tune and the worst of Damian 'film a prop teddy bear in the wreckage' Day from Drop The Dead Donkey. Basically "let's get the family to pour their hearts out so we can selectively edit it for some good quotes", while taking them to Greece to 'revisit their last holiday together' - oh, and let's show a censored version of the CCTV footage of the shooting shown at the trial for the death-wankers. All with, like I said, Our Tune-style music in the background. It was both ghoulish and mawkish at the same time, and was immediately followed by chirpy presenters being happy and hyper about some loving trivial thing. Absolutely awful.

So glad I don't need a TV licence any more, because I'd be pissed off about paying for that poo poo.

Was getting my car serviced last week and while waiting a few hours i had to endure exactly the same, lucky i brought a kindle along to distract me.

The Simon Bates vibe is real, it's alive... and it's loving horrible! :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

feedmegin posted:

There absolutely is because it's not about the codecs. On-demand television is unicast (your device makes a TCP/IP connection to a server and downloads the way anything else does on the regular internet). Linear is either multicast UDP over your ISP's private network or (still, for now) Digital Terrestrial Television coming over an aerial which doesn't require the internet at all. The fact that it's encapsulated in similar (not identical, linear uses Transport Streams that can encode multiple channels in one stream and re-broadcasts metadata regularly because DTT especially by its nature is not a reliable transport mechanism) ways isn't the big difference. The important bit here isn't so much how the video is encoded as in linear is obviously a one-way process - you don't get to choose what to watch on a given channel, but also how you implement the two varies quite a lot.
No wait I remember this.

There was a whole thing around the analog TV shutdown era about turning the UHF spectrum into a 'super WiFi' or an on-demand service or similar, with the big sell being that UHF is a very good sweet spot for range, penetration, and bandwidth, but it was being poo poo all over by linear TV stations, and therefore the optimal utilization was garbage, with thousands of killowatts being used to blast poo poo that hardly anyone was watching at some times of the day.

So there was a brief period where things like WATCH were being proposed.

Instead I guess they just did 4G/5G where there are UHF frequency components and it is an active experience but then at the top of all the layer models you just click the Netflix app.