Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Xaris posted:

become a traffic calming vigilante and install a roundabout at 2am

get brought up on terrorism charges and banished to gitmo with the atlanta forest defenders :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Xaris posted:

become a traffic calming vigilante and install a roundabout at 2am

The city put up these barricades in the middle of a residential street with signs to slow down and residential traffic only during the pandemic and took them down after a few months the cowards.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
my favorite thing about car culture is that if you park a shipping container sized SUV on the street no one cares, but if you put an actual shipping container there everyone starts bitching about how you're making public roads your own personal property :rolleyes:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
they should close all roads to personal vehicles between the hours of 7am to 10am, and from 4pm to 6pm. stop using a car to commute to work

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Is that what those loving things are? I see them all the time in Santa Monica and thought they were doing mapping for a street view thing, they're absolutely covered in sensors and cameras, but I guess that makes sense it's a robot car.

Stereotype posted:

they should close all roads to personal vehicles between the hours of 7am to 10am, and from 4pm to 6pm. stop using a car to commute to work

They do this for the roads people use as shortcuts near freeways here.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Stereotype posted:

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

A toll is a usage fee and all usage fees are regressive. Make trucks pay because they do all the wear and tear on the roads. You could drive a million Honda Fits across a short stretch of highway and it would be fine.

usage fees are fine if they punish car users

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

A toll is a usage fee and all usage fees are regressive. Make trucks pay because they do all the wear and tear on the roads. You could drive a million Honda Fits across a short stretch of highway and it would be fine.

Counterpoint: Destroy all cars, demolish all roads

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gradenko_2000 posted:

stop using a car to commute to work

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Palladium posted:

gradenko_2000 posted:

stop using a car to commute to work

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Stereotype posted:

my favorite thing about car culture is that if you park a shipping container sized SUV on the street no one cares, but if you put an actual shipping container there everyone starts bitching about how you're making public roads your own personal property :rolleyes:

if you put a car in a shipping container on the street, as long as you pretend to wire up small-scale explosive charges on the end, people think it's about to be a scene from the newest fast and furious movie

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Caring about gas prices is so funny to me. Oh you are going to drive across town to save 10 cents a gallon? Buddy I wouldn't cross the street. I have no idea how much it costs I just fill up once a month or whatever

Like theres whole apps of which the purpose is to find deals on gas but the idea of going out of my way to do so is ludicrous. I have friends that drive so much they save hundreds of dollars a year using some stupid app that makes them drive to a random gas station to fill up. Maybe sell the SUV and get a Prius if you care that much

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Just thinking about hearing someone brag they saved $500 this year on gas because they spent like $7,000 on it total but got a discount for wasting a ton of time

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
One time I went to breakfast with some extended family and my cousin scolded his wife for getting tea instead of water since it was more expensive. He had just bought like a $20,000 motorcycle

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

heated game moment posted:

Caring about gas prices is so funny to me. Oh you are going to drive across town to save 10 cents a gallon? Buddy I wouldn't cross the street. I have no idea how much it costs I just fill up once a month or whatever

Like theres whole apps of which the purpose is to find deals on gas but the idea of going out of my way to do so is ludicrous. I have friends that drive so much they save hundreds of dollars a year using some stupid app that makes them drive to a random gas station to fill up. Maybe sell the SUV and get a Prius if you care that much

drove past a Sheetz on July 4th that had a line out the lot, blocking a lane of traffic for quite a ways, cuz they were selling gas for $1.776/gal

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

my bony fealty posted:

drove past a Sheetz on July 4th that had a line out the lot, blocking a lane of traffic for quite a ways, cuz they were selling gas for $1.776/gal

somebody calculate the fuel consumption of the line idling lol

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
America loving owns. We had decades of dirt-cheap credit and energy and just wasted it all on garbage lmao. Monumental bag fumbling

We didn't even get nice roads out of it lol

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Palladium posted:

somebody calculate the fuel consumption of the line idling lol

I didn't see it but a local paper says some locations had cops come in to direct traffic because the lines were loving up the normal flow so much. incredible country.

supposed picture of a blocked lane lmao

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I dunno, it looks like the car lineups are popular, lots of people in them. Well, more car than people, but yknow

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
I've saved thousands on gas by not buying any in the last 10 years. Works p well

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

heated game moment posted:

America loving owns. We had decades of dirt-cheap credit and energy and just wasted it all on garbage lmao. Monumental bag fumbling

We didn't even get nice roads out of it lol

we didnt get nice anything out of it lol

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Puppy Burner posted:

I've saved thousands on gas by not buying any in the last 10 years. Works p well

lol I was about to make this joke. I spend maybe like $50-$100 a year on gas because I never drive

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020
i buy gas often because im forced to drive. at least i drive a spark.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Dixon Chisholm posted:

i buy gas often because im forced to drive. at least i drive a spark.

My brother lives in rural PA and has to commute long distances and he loves that car. Also they don’t sell it in the US anymore

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

I used to get petrol at costco but every day there is a long long queue for fuel even though unleaded is only 1p a litre cheaper than the other petrol station on the same plot of land. there's never a queue there so I consider it a 30p fastpass.

costco is such a scam. I'd cancel my membership if my membership wasn't a photocopy of the barcode on someone else's card

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Just utterly depressing replies

https://twitter.com/CP24/status/1677637535629967360?t=kkmot8kIO88mCAC9Jh9MKw&s=19

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Harik posted:

Yeah. China is (in)famous for building subway lines to empty fields and the usual suspects keep mocking them for it but if you check back later whoops all massive dense buildings and a huge ridership.
Wait, are you telling me that it is easier to build underground infrastructure before you build high-rise buildings? Woah

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

it is, but it's a risk we simply cannot take in the US

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
They did that in the new Honolulu light rail system…..it also doesn’t connect anything significant (goes from a field to a stadium), is elevated with no escalators, and much slower than international standards.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Harik posted:

Yeah. China is (in)famous for building subway lines to empty fields and the usual suspects keep mocking them for it but if you check back later whoops all massive dense buildings and a huge ridership.

you could do this in america and even keep the usual insanely corrupt real estate grift going by letting developers pick which empty field to put a subway station in but we don't have the will to even do that :smith:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Clark Nova posted:

you could do this in america and even keep the usual insanely corrupt real estate grift going by letting developers pick which empty field to put a subway station in but we don't have the will to even do that :smith:

america: hmm i wonder how the perfidous orientals are able to build rail at 5% of our per distance cost when they don't almost spend an entire PLA budget at keeping their troops homeless

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Stereotype posted:

this drives me nuts actually. I live next to a small industrial park and a bunch of companies park their trucks on the street. it’s doubly insulting that businesses get free on street parking.

around the corner from me for the longest time there were two pickup trucks with small boats on trailers parked on the road for ages. tons of cars that have been parked for ages that probably don’t even run anymore. if you have a car or cars you just get unlimited storage space on the side of the road.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

leftist heap posted:

this drives me nuts actually. I live next to a small industrial park and a bunch of companies park their trucks on the street. it’s doubly insulting that businesses get free on street parking.

around the corner from me for the longest time there were two pickup trucks with small boats on trailers parked on the road for ages. tons of cars that have been parked for ages that probably don’t even run anymore. if you have a car or cars you just get unlimited storage space on the side of the road.

in my city you get 72 hours and then if it gets reported it gets towed away.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

https://twitter.com/BBCLookNorth/status/1677397106615525384

let's read the news article about this

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
That hair salon should be using high viz barber capes.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

"diversey beach" ??
(loads up google maps, place where diversey beach is shown)

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

life's a beach and then you drive

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

diversity beach (cars and boats)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica