Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Slightly off topic but it seems like a lot of people try to write mass battle rules for TTRPGS

Has anyone here EVER ran it before? How'd it go?

Sorry, are you asking for any specific system I somehow missed?

I'm nowdays running PENDRAGON 5th Edition and naturally with iths campaign has a battle system. It's...needlessly complicated but can be usable if you just go step-by-step. Sadly it's also a lot more involved than one would like. One can even expand the system with the Book of Battles, which makes it ....very complicated and not really that fun to run, honestly, not to mention more dice rolling for randomness. At least now I know exactly which of the young, middle-aged and old kinsmen of my player knights have died and to which exact saxon arrow. 6E promised something with more panache and a greater focus on "feel of battle and big moments" but I've yet to get the starter set to actually evaluate it.

I've also previously ran big battles in REIGN. That was quick, efficient, and strangely clinical because of how it resolves a lot with its diffcult-to-determine-dice results. But the players loved the mechanism.
I've run a Pathfinder-style mass battle system based on older 3E battle rules I don't exactly remember how. That was a clusterfuck. Felt like the rules were definitely not made for that.
Have run a "larger space skirmish" in Traveller. Mostly a tell-affair, because the rules for the game itself don't really give you anything. Maybe one of the additional books does, but those I had certainly not. Kinda wonky and details-intensive, again needlessly complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Mr.Misfit posted:

Sorry, are you asking for any specific system I somehow missed?

I'm nowdays running PENDRAGON 5th Edition and naturally with iths campaign has a battle system. It's...needlessly complicated but can be usable if you just go step-by-step. Sadly it's also a lot more involved than one would like. One can even expand the system with the Book of Battles, which makes it ....very complicated and not really that fun to run, honestly, not to mention more dice rolling for randomness. At least now I know exactly which of the young, middle-aged and old kinsmen of my player knights have died and to which exact saxon arrow. 6E promised something with more panache and a greater focus on "feel of battle and big moments" but I've yet to get the starter set to actually evaluate it.

I've also previously ran big battles in REIGN. That was quick, efficient, and strangely clinical because of how it resolves a lot with its diffcult-to-determine-dice results. But the players loved the mechanism.
I've run a Pathfinder-style mass battle system based on older 3E battle rules I don't exactly remember how. That was a clusterfuck. Felt like the rules were definitely not made for that.
Have run a "larger space skirmish" in Traveller. Mostly a tell-affair, because the rules for the game itself don't really give you anything. Maybe one of the additional books does, but those I had certainly not. Kinda wonky and details-intensive, again needlessly complicated.

I've run quite a few myself and it always comes down to what particular sort of abstraction you're going for that makes it fun or terrible. Usually anything that begins to approach skirmish minis rules turns into a slog because that's not what the game was for to begin with and the base rules of most RPGs aren't all that great to begin with.

Decipher's Lord of the Rings RPG had a pretty okay idea where there are three tiers of being into a battle which determine how hard it is for the heroic individual actions of your PCs to affect the outcome, with a commensurate increase in the peril they face. It still dealt with force numbers and modifiers based on troop types, but that was all there for the GM and any player who specifically wanted to be into that stuff, and was still pretty simple all told.

Surprisingly MERP, the predecessor Middle-earth RPG, had a similar system where the battle as a whole boiled down to opposing Resistance Rolls which was the pretty simple core resolution system for virtually everything that wasn't regular combat or skill checks.

I've run a few in Green Ronin's Game of Thrones system which were okay, but the system is definitely in serious tension between how abstract it wants to be but then piling on a ton of fiddly extras. It's similar to the above examples with PCs having special status and having a sort of mini battle of their own wrapped inside the larger clash.

I ran a huge battle end-to-end in the Exalted 2e mass combat system, which even back then in the depths of my love for that game quickly revealed itself to be a big mistake. What a dogshit system.

I've run a few battles of varying scale and complexity in the old WEG D6 system which wasn't the worst experience but like the rest of the system it just sort peters out into extremely predictable masses of too many d6s when you get much past the "beginner" levels of dice ratings.

I ran a couple battles in D&D3 or 3.5 and recall not being too disappointed but I was a dumb person with no taste at the time (more so than now anyway) and it was 20 years ago so I probably have no reliable memory of the experience.

I ran a MechWarrior game with a few skirmishes in it but that just meant it was a great excuse to play Battletech for the rest of the night. This was also over 20 years ago.

I think I participated in a mass battle thing in AD&D2 in the early 90s, but was bored to hell and back just like all my other experiences with AD&D.

In general I would say most of the time mass battle systems in RPGs are kind of like "run a merchant empire" or "write a pamphlet that influences an entire nation" rules, in that they're tacked on due to some erroneous sense of obligation for one reason or another, which ends up making them disappointing to both most regular players and those who would actually really like a robust mass battle system.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

GURPS 3E had one but I don't remember much about it. I never used it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Can someone tell me if Zoophilia is enough of a thing on DND5E's playerbase to warrant BG3 involving bear loving?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The public reaction to that scene seems to suggest that this is a common trope in games of D&D, though one that I've personally never encountered at the table

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I think this is more of a Larian games thing than a strictly 5E thing. It's just usually in text descriptions rather than in a fully animated cutscene.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

The public reaction to that scene seems to suggest that this is a common trope in games of D&D, though one that I've personally never encountered at the table

it's certainly become a thing during 5e, the popular idea now seems to be that bards are the class that solely exists to gently caress everything from all the jokes and stories i've seen

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the youths have forsaken tradition (saying "attack the darkness")

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Plutonis posted:

Can someone tell me if Zoophilia is enough of a thing on DND5E's playerbase to warrant BG3 involving bear loving?

... I'm sorry, what?

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
it was something in the Baldur's gate trailer where a druid shapeshifts into a bear and has sex with a bard I think (I've only seen a small part of the trailer).

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Randalor posted:

... I'm sorry, what?

People seem to be getting horny for a dude that wildshapes into a bear, apparently. And from what little I've heard, is probably also a "bear" in the double-entendre sense. I don't... really feel like looking it up to be absolutely certain, though.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ah, so its basically BG3's writers making a bad joke with the term "bear", and not someone loving an actual bear? It's still creepy, but "bad double entendre" is still better than someone's... wait, you said someone ANIMATED this? What the everloving gently caress is wrong with nerds?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Randalor posted:

Ah, so its basically BG3's writers making a bad joke with the term "bear", and not someone loving an actual bear? It's still creepy, but "bad double entendre" is still better than someone's... wait, you said someone ANIMATED this? What the everloving gently caress is wrong with nerds?

No it’s an actual bear. The MC says they like it large then the Druid shifts into a bear animal and does it. They both have modeled and animated genitals.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
code:

https://twitter.com/vaughandavies97/status/1677361748658069516
This is the clip

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

code:
This is the clip

:pwn:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

code:

This is the clip

So... this was shown to people, as a selling point of the game, in a public event? Someone has a generous termination package stipulated in their contract and want to cash out there, didn't they? That's the only sane explanation I can come up with. Dunno if it was one of the writers, animators or the person in marketing responsible for collecting the material to be shown, but holy hell that's 3 layers of people who saw this and said "this is fine".

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Randalor posted:

So... this was shown to people, as a selling point of the game, in a public event? Someone has a generous termination package stipulated in their contract and want to cash out there, didn't they? That's the only sane explanation I can come up with. Dunno if it was one of the writers, animators or the person in marketing responsible for collecting the material to be shown, but holy hell that's 3 layers of people who saw this and said "this is fine".

Idk, I thought it was pretty funny

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Randalor posted:

I mean,

1. It largely worked, to get people talking about their game online.

2. This is like what Larian does. This is an M rated game, made by the same people who made Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2. This is extremely their sense of humor.

3. Could just be me, but I really really don't get the pearl clutching over this lol. Weird kink poo poo between two consenting adults :shrug:

edit:

I guess I'm kinda shocked WotC let this in, but it seems like they've been fairly handsoff?

Dexo fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 9, 2023

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Dexo posted:

I mean,

2. This is like what Larian does. This is an M rated game, made by the same people who made Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2. This is extremely their sense of humor.

3. Could just be me, but I really really don't get the pearl clutching over this lol. Weird kink poo poo between two consenting adults :shrug:

edit:

I guess I'm kinda shocked WotC let this in, but it seems like they've been fairly handsoff?

I didn't finish Divinity Original Sin 2, but I don't recall there being any animal loving in that game. I dunno, still seems weird.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

One of the first encounters in DOS2 involves your character being forced to make out with someone who pukes bugs into their mouth

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
This seems like a continuation of their general decision to market this game using the fun or evil paths that they know the large majority of their playerbase are never going to see. To try and show like the width of the decision trees they've made. As most people play boring goodie two-shoes characters. So like all of their marketing has been around like evil playthroughs and the goofy poo poo.

beeoi
Mar 4, 2012

Yeah, this is extremely on brand for Larian. They've been stuck on the "wacky monty python sketch/dark fantasy murder death sex cannibal cult" binary for their entire product line. As a result, they appeal to the two worst subcultures of the RPG sphere very effectively.

beeoi fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 9, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Dexo posted:

I mean,

edit:

I guess, it's more the "This is being associated with WotC/D&D" bit combined with them actually animating it that has me so surprised. If it was a text blurb in a Divinity game, yeah, okay, it's a nice joke on "bear"(hairy man)/"bear"(animal). The way its actually animated is tame/jokey up until the video cuts out, though it does raise some awkward questions about "what exactly qualifies as zoophilia" that really didn't need to be raised.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Randalor posted:

I guess, it's more the "This is being associated with WotC/D&D" bit combined with them actually animating it that has me so surprised. If it was a text blurb in a Divinity game, yeah, okay, it's a nice joke on "bear"(hairy man)/"bear"(animal). The way its actually animated is tame/jokey up until the video cuts out, though it does raise some awkward questions about "what exactly qualifies as zoophilia" that really didn't need to be raised.

Yeah, but like it's only like functionally a magically enhanced step further than people who put on animal costumes with animal anatomically correct toys that people literally do IRL right now.

This is definitely not my ministry, but like most things it all comes down to the ability to legitimately consent, At that point what happens in their bedroom is their own business.

I probably wouldn't have put it in the advertising(it'd probably be funnier and more appreciated for the people into that stuff to come across naturally it without actually knowing it's an option until you dig deep enough in the dialogue decision trees.). But yeaaaah.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Dexo posted:

As most people play boring goodie two-shoes characters.

I was shocked to recently learn that 92% of the playerbase apparently went Paragon in the Mass Effect trilogy.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Colonel Cool posted:

I was shocked to recently learn that 92% of the playerbase apparently went Paragon in the Mass Effect trilogy.

Larian posted this like after the first EA patch lol.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Though if Wrath of the Righteous is any indication playing an undead wizard is significantly more popular than other evil choices.

edit:the BG3 is specifically during the early access when your character would be deleted each patch.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jul 9, 2023

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Also the worst crime of the Mass Effect players were that like some ungodly low amount of people played as Femshep. The superior Shepard.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Arivia posted:

it's certainly become a thing during 5e, the popular idea now seems to be that bards are the class that solely exists to gently caress everything from all the jokes and stories i've seen

Would it be a stretch to attribute this to the influence of Critical Role?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dexo posted:

Also the worst crime of the Mass Effect players were that like some ungodly low amount of people played as Femshep. The superior Shepard.

:hmmyes:

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Drone posted:

Would it be a stretch to attribute this to the influence of Critical Role?

Probably. Anecdotally I remember bard players acting like that for quite a while now.

beeoi
Mar 4, 2012

It is definitely not a Critical Role thing. I might have missed something since I've watched barely 12 episodes of CR but being noticeably horny was a thing the entire cast did and not just Scanlan the bard. It usually didn't go very far with NPCs and I don't recall anything verging on bestiality.

Besides that, it's something that can easily be tracked to way before the streaming period. Almost every DND webcomic has made a joke about it. Once people learn about the Charisma stat, a very common line of reasoning goes:

1. What does Charisma do (something no one has a straight answer to)
2. Could I feasily use Charisma to get NPCs to have sex with me (the answer to which varies, but is usually "it would probably help at least a little bit")
3. What class benefits the most from having high charisma and would be most suited to having sex with things. (Bard)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

The 2004 reboot of The Bard's Tale heavily leans on the Horny Bard trope, and considering how heavily that game was a pastiche it's likely the trope existed long before this.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If anything the Horny Bard can be overplayed and potentially dicey in certain situations

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

The original Baldur’s Gate (1998) had a honey bard party member, and Dandelion is very much that guy in the original Witcher novels (1990).

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

disposablewords posted:

People seem to be getting horny for a dude that wildshapes into a bear, apparently. And from what little I've heard, is probably also a "bear" in the double-entendre sense. I don't... really feel like looking it up to be absolutely certain, though.

It's less horny and more that it's kinda funny, tbh.

https://twitter.com/larianstudios/status/1677359150634868739

(And very, very optional. You have to explicitly consent multiple times to get this, you kinky little goblin.)

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
Bards are wandering poets and minstrels. Theyve been horny all throughout history, you dont even need fantasy tropes, not to mention contemporary musicians. The dude in the BG3 video might as well be fantasy Adam Levine.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Randalor posted:

Not really, the bear is just a shapeshifted person, theres no question about consent

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Colonel Cool posted:

Why? The writing for Paragon was much better; Renegade was a complete mish-mash of "Hard man making hard decisions", "moustache twirling villain", "World weary", and "troll". And some of the renegade choices were just bad; there was almost never a pure benefit to (non-interrupt) renegade options - and only one where I can think of a short term benefit in the whole of ME1 (killing the colonists). While the game incentivised locking you in one way or the other when only one way made sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

neonchameleon posted:

Renegade was a complete mish-mash of "Hard man making hard decisions", "moustache twirling villain", "World weary", and "troll".

Don’t forget “racist”.