Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Ash Crimson posted:

Surely not???

Probably not - they're just flinging names around & I noticed [redacted] was trending on the theme.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

https://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/KB/2023/1618.html

So whoever it is the BBC knew and were about to announce and then sack them. Also specifies offences against a number of women to so rather rules out graham

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

A bit of confetti was the least of osbornes worries today after that email. Im delighted his wedding day turned into dogshit

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mega Comrade posted:

I don't believe in capital punishment. If you genuingly wish the guy to be set of fire then you're a loving psychopath.

If only we were nicer to people responsible for mass death :(

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Skarsnik posted:

https://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/KB/2023/1618.html

So whoever it is the BBC knew and were about to announce and then sack them. Also specifies offences against a number of women to so rather rules out graham

honestly thank goodness

my mum would be beside herself if graham turned out to be a nonce

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
frankly osborne should feel extremely loving relieved it's only confetti and i hope he and everyone else who has served in government for the last 13 years do not feel a moment's peace for the rest of their lives

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think that most of us would be reasonably satisfied with Osborne getting carted off to The Hague. Absent that being a realistic possibility, though, you are absolutely going to get people hungering for more direct and feasible forms of justice.

I am certainly not calling for the assassinations of senior political figures (hi, mods!), but the unfortunate reality is that if you want vigilante violence against your country's elite to lose its popular appeal, you're going to have to provide some other effective, reliable means by which they can be held to account for vast and heinous human rights abuses. This is especially relevant in the current political climate, where all major players appear to be determined to reduce their public appeal as much as possible while removing any meaningful, useful official systems of accountability, and while I again do not endorse or encourage political assassination as a tactic, I can't help but grimly wonder which one of these chuckleheads is going to get themselves capped first.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

It's just so depressing that the people like Osbourne and those around him, who may as well have infinity money, influence and zero responsibility compared to the rest of us seem to live such a shallow, bitter, hateful existence.

It's not even really saucy or surprising. It's just sad and dull. They're all like that too, they do nothing of interest with their money, they have no imagination, no joy, barely any love. It's just misery and backstabbing and hate.

I'm not sorry for them, they can all go gently caress off, but it's just going to happen again with Starmer and Labour in power once they're cemented and stop acting like nervous children caught at the cookie jar.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1677804718356066305?s=20

There really will be no change under the Starmer party.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The most likely outcome is that Starmer's Labour actively cracks down on left-leaning councils because they "want" to make Labour "seen as a party of governance" when what they actually want to do is be Tories controlling the supposed left-leaning party.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Every once in a while it sinks in how truly hosed Labour has become and reading that headline was one such moment for me.

Ugh.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Shagger Osbornes confetti has absolutely annoyed all the right people.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Rachel Reeves is such a Tory cosplayer that even if they found buckets of money just lying around, she'd probably burn it all so that she could act out her fantasy of watching poor people die cold, sick and homeless.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://archive.is/7mZlk

Govt has zero ability to think through the consequences of its own laws.

So will they blame the EU? "But the EU-derived version applied in the UK" or realize that as ever the UK has been overzealous with its interpretation of EU laws (my go to example being CONDAM regulations introduced back in the 90s*)

Torygraph:

quote:

Jeremy Hunt denied bank account by Monzo
Chancellor is among multiple politicians to have accounts denied and cards cancelled because of 'disproportionate' money laundering rules

Jeremy Hunt is among the politicians who have been denied a bank account because of the “completely disproportionate” application of money laundering rules, The Telegraph can reveal.

Mr Hunt told colleagues in recent months that his application for an account was turned down by Monzo, an online bank, before he was appointed Chancellor.

Mr Hunt suspected that regulations covering “politically exposed persons” (PEPs) were responsible for the decision, although banks generally do not confirm this to those affected by the rules.

Parliamentarians have warned that the regulations are resulting in their own bank accounts, and those of their children, being closed.

‘Outrageous burdens’
It can also be revealed that a string of peers, including Lord Clarke of Nottingham - one of Mr Hunt’s predecessors as chancellor - have had their credit cards cancelled because of what they believe to be an overzealous application of the rules by American Express.

Lord Clarke, who was chancellor under John Major, said he had suddenly faced onerous demands by American Express to provide documentation and financial information despite having held a credit card with the firm for decades.

The former MP said: “I decided that I could not be bothered with such outrageous burdens being placed on me. Having had my card from some time in the 1970s, I have allowed them to cancel it.”

Lord McFall of Alcluith, the Lord Speaker, wrote a year ago to Nikhil Rathi, the managing director of the Financial Conduct Authority, relaying peers’ concerns about the effect of the regulations on members of the Lords and their families.

The relevant regulations derive from a global initiative to help root out corruption in regimes across the world and require banks to carry out enhanced checks on PEPs such as politicians, diplomats, army chiefs and even royals.

But the EU-derived version applied in the UK failed to take account of a qualification recommended by the inter-government Financial Action Task Force, that only those in a “higher risk business relationship” should be subject to the checks - as opposed to parliamentarians with run-of-the-mill savings and investments.

etc

source: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/07/08/jeremy-hunt-denied-bank-account-american-express-monzo/

*CONDAM - The Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 1994 - UK created an entire industry out of this. A couple of colleagues attended a training session of some sort back in the day in Brussels or somewhere like that and one of the guys responsible for drafting the EU regulation said "we can't believe what the UK has done with what was supposed to be 2 sides of A4".

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jul 9, 2023

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1677804718356066305?s=20

There really will be no change under the Starmer party.

I’m actually looking forward to seeing their next manifesto now, because what is even left to put in it?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Soricidus posted:

I’m actually looking forward to seeing their next manifesto now, because what is even left to put in it?

TOUGH ON CRIME

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1677932051792625664?t=Wu-lkGJQUa0jcjQ3kozu1A&s=19

The Virgin Milliband versus a different kind of Virgin Starmer

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
An Adult In Every Room

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
How much money laundering are MPs doing that their accounts keep getting flagged?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Random Youtube comments say its Stephen Nolan being the NI BBC presenter.
He's 'on extended holiday' atm, and yesterday transferred his production company shares to a betting company.
But gently caress knows, hes being investigated for his finances anyway so could be just that.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jul 9, 2023

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

happyhippy posted:

Random Youtube comments say its Stephen Nolan being the NI BBC presenter.
He's 'on extended holiday' atm, and yesterday transferred his production company shares to betting company.
But gently caress knows, hes being investigated for his finances anyway so could be just that.

Just googled him and he looks like a more lecherous Jabba the Hutt crossed with :frog:, so by the powers of nonce phrenology it's definitely him

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Soricidus posted:

Tory Austerity v4.0.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Soricidus posted:

just more and more pressure on renters, the young (<45 years old) and now mortgage holders, until something pops…

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
"Hoping we'll make things better? eat poo poo"

quote:

False hope is worse than no hope. Labour won’t make promises it can’t keep.
Tory mismanagement of public finances will make the party’s task difficult if it wins power, and that is why we won’t pledge what we can’t deliver on.

Wes Streeting
x

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

I mean we've talked recently about how much death Osborne is responsible for during his tenure in government, I really don't think it's too much. I would in fact take the position that the appropriate punishment could not be enacted within a human lifetime.

I'm reminded of the scene in Babylon 5 where Morden asks Vir what he wants. Vir, who was in the main considered to be a jellyfish and far too nice to be in politics, replies that he wanted to live long enough to see Morden executed and his head placed on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations. This was shocking enough even before it later came out that the Centauri practice execution by vivisection and so Vir was basically saying "I want you to be tortured to death and I want to watch".

I think this is the position a lot of people are in with Osborne and the Tories. They are not evil, but the Tories are unspeakable monsters. And while as per Nietzsche we must take care not to become monsters ourselves in fighting them, you can only gaze into the abyss for so long.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

lol at what 'Labour sources' think will make Starmer look like a stone-cold badass:

https://twitter.com/adambienkov/status/1677933876344225796?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Labour is a party run by some of the thirstiest dickheads on the planet, right now.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Key quote

quote:

“[Starmer] thanked him for his presentation, but said he wasn’t interested in hope and change"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

josh04 posted:

Key quote

Lol lmao

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Being anti-hope is, in fact, official Labour policy:

https://twitter.com/observeruk/status/1677966085604376577?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Labour welcomes its new policy director, the Transformer Cyclonus

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lol

https://twitter.com/bierincognito/status/1677981551399772161?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jedit posted:

I'm reminded of the scene in Babylon 5 where Morden asks Vir what he wants. Vir, who was in the main considered to be a jellyfish and far too nice to be in politics, replies that he wanted to live long enough to see Morden executed and his head placed on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations. This was shocking enough even before it later came out that the Centauri practice execution by vivisection and so Vir was basically saying "I want you to be tortured to death and I want to watch".

I think this is the position a lot of people are in with Osborne and the Tories. They are not evil, but the Tories are unspeakable monsters. And while as per Nietzsche we must take care not to become monsters ourselves in fighting them, you can only gaze into the abyss for so long.

I hope that my wish for the Toriy leadership ( :guillotine: ) comes true, as it did for Vir. :allears:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Darth Walrus posted:

lol at what 'Labour sources' think will make Starmer look like a stone-cold badass:

https://twitter.com/adambienkov/status/1677933876344225796?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q
tough on trees, tough on the causes of trees

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Presumably as in “You had your wages stolen? Tough”

sinky posted:

"Hoping we'll make things better? eat poo poo"

x

This is what I just can’t get my head round.

“The Tories have brought our country to its knees by their mismanagement of public finances, and Labour is going to fix it by changing absolutely nothing”

Does it even make sense to him?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
It's bizarre how with an entire menagerie of Tory ghouls and creeps in Parliament, the MP who produces the most instinctive physical revulsion in me is Streeting. Maybe it's the BNP haircut, the fake Blair smile or the staring eyes (which the smile never reaches), but he radiates "you absolutely cannot trust this guy" insincerity at a flesh-crawling level.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Rachel "Pathetic & Tedious" Reeves

https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1677964524475887618?s=20

Meanwhile:

I'm quite shocked by this report re St Mungos. I remember them being a small homelessness charity based around Covent Garden years ago.

https://novaramedia.com/2023/06/21/striking-workers-say-homeless-charity-has-lost-its-way/

quote:

Striking Workers Say Homeless Charity Has Lost Its Way
‘It feels like senior management are trying to cause homelessness and destroy lives.’
by Polly Smythe
21 June 2023

The rapid expansion of highly paid senior management – from seven in 2013 to 32 now – means that funds flowing into the organisation are increasingly directed away from vulnerable clients and towards six-figure salaries. The spiralling of average pay for the charity’s Mungo’s chief executives – up from £107,000 to more than £189,000 – has riled frontline workers, who typically earn around £26,000.

Fontaine was recently asked by senior management to serve an eviction notice to a client in custody who’d fallen behind on their rent. They told Novara Media that they had also been asked to begin the rent recovery process preceding eviction against a client who had been placed in a medically induced coma.

Haddad isn’t the only member of the Home Office to join St Mungo’s. Sean Palmer, was hired this month as Director of Transformation, from the Home Office after a six-year stint at the department.

Workers pointed out that the appointment was particularly alarming given St Mungo’s shameful history with the Home Office. In 2018, the Guardian reported that the charity had shared information about migrant rough sleepers with the Home Office which in some cases led to deportations. St Mungo’s denied it at first, but a year later admitted it and apologised.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Isn't Keir's entire time as party leader a series of "actually, we're not gonna keep that promise we made"? It's like he thinks making a promise then saying you're not gonna keep it is somehow better than trying to keep your promise and not succeeding.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Radical hope is that this will somehow multiply to the point where on the eve of the general election Starmer just pulls a Walther pistol out of his suit pocket on live television and says "remember when I promised I'd never hurt you Wes?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm quite shocked by this report re St Mungos. I remember them being a small homelessness charity based around Covent Garden years ago.

https://novaramedia.com/2023/06/21/striking-workers-say-homeless-charity-has-lost-its-way/

Charities are no less vulnerable to corruption and graft than any institution