Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

space kobold
Oct 3, 2009

redshirt posted:

Tapestries

sorry but that term is already in use

edit: i refuse to apologize for my page snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necroid
May 14, 2009

Nelson Mandingo posted:

:negative: I'm sorry. I'm so sorry but I couldn't exist alone with this.

lmao

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
https://youtube.com/shorts/pkJ0hw05qww?feature=share

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
20 million, I get a house by some lovely seaside property, make a little dock, get a boat with a crane to load and unload a small submarine, spend the rest of my life getting high under the sea and living off the interest of what is left. My brother in Christ has several orders of magnitude more money and never seems to do the slightest interesting thing with it.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Mulva posted:

20 million, I get a house by some lovely seaside property, make a little dock, get a boat with a crane to load and unload a small submarine, spend the rest of my life getting high under the sea and living off the interest of what is left. My brother in Christ has several orders of magnitude more money and never seems to do the slightest interesting thing with it.

bro built a worse subway for idiots lol

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Thank you

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

cyborg hybrid demigod

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

Like the build up to a big WWE wrestling event, I hope Zuck and Musk keep dunking on each other. Their fight should feel like a real grudge match.

Next step is Zuck dating Grimes.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
How is there no web site for threads? Do people not use computers anymore?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Withnail posted:

From what I've heard, it was released about a month ahead of schedule to take advantage of the Twitter collapse, so a bunch of stuff is unfinished.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Withnail posted:

It was launched a month earlier than planned.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Withnail posted:

What, and miss out on gathering all that data that you only get on smartphones??

Think about the shareholders, not yourself, you loving commie!!

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Withnail posted:

It's way harder to gather all of your personal info in a web browser than a phone app.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Instagram is barely functional on tablets, so I'm not surprised there's no website for threads. I'm sure it's gonna come by default on the Ktarian headset Zuck has been working on.

graynull fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 9, 2023

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Withnail posted:

Buddy, you're on a website for threads

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I know the metaverse chat was 5 pages back, but we are on a preferred vendor list for Facebook and they reached out to us to make some 3d content for it.

I say 'make', what they actually wanted was for us to package up old, unused projects and assets for them to reuse to build their metaverse. Every single person we spoke to had absolutely no idea about poly counts, optimisation, or interest in the idea of visual stylization. I don't think a single person on the metaverse team had used 3d software or understood the nuances of how 3d content was even created. Most people who play videogames with a passive interest in tech would have had a better understanding, it was such a bleak series of meetings.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Whenever I see a picture if Cybertruck my eyes immediately go to the tires to see if they are round.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

cubicle gangster posted:

I know the metaverse chat was 5 pages back, but we are on a preferred vendor list for Facebook and they reached out to us to make some 3d content for it.

I say 'make', what they actually wanted was for us to package up old, unused projects and assets for them to reuse to build their metaverse. Every single person we spoke to had absolutely no idea about poly counts, optimisation, or interest in the idea of visual stylization. I don't think a single person on the metaverse team had used 3d software or understood the nuances of how 3d content was even created. Most people who play videogames with a passive interest in tech would have had a better understanding, it was such a bleak series of meetings.

It might not have been important; metaverses tend to, inherently, have a lot of different artists uploading contributing content, and there's a lot of resulting kitbash from consumer-users sticking all the different pieces together. They probably meant send everything.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

cubicle gangster posted:

I have a friend who works on Horizon and he openly does not give a poo poo about the product and says most folks on the team feel the same. No one working on Horizon likes or cares about the product, they're just there to gather a massively inflated paycheck until the checks stop coming. If they can burn a whole working week failing to get your team the info you need to do your work, hey, that's a whole week of paycheck on a $300-500k salary. It's all gravy.

“For many of us, we don’t spend that much time in Horizon and our dogfooding dashboards show this pretty clearly,” he wrote to employees on September 15th. “Why is that? Why don’t we love the product we’ve built so much that we use it all the time? The simple truth is, if we don’t love it, how can we expect our users to love it?” https://www.theverge.com/2022/10/6/23391895/meta-facebook-horizon-worlds-vr-social-network-too-buggy-leaked-memo

This is why they don't have a web browser Threads interface. Hoovering up everyone's personal data and selling it to fascists is so profitable, they can pay people billions of dollars to sit around and do literally nothing, and still be one of the most valuable & profitabale companies in the world.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

ColdPie posted:

I have a friend who works on Horizon and he openly does not give a poo poo about the product and says most folks on the team feel the same. No one working on Horizon likes or cares about the product, they're just there to gather a massively inflated paycheck until the checks stop coming. If they can burn a whole working week failing to get your team the info you need to do your work, hey, that's a whole week of paycheck on a $300k salary. It's all gravy.

“For many of us, we don’t spend that much time in Horizon and our dogfooding dashboards show this pretty clearly,” he wrote to employees on September 15th. “Why is that? Why don’t we love the product we’ve built so much that we use it all the time? The simple truth is, if we don’t love it, how can we expect our users to love it?” https://www.theverge.com/2022/10/6/23391895/meta-facebook-horizon-worlds-vr-social-network-too-buggy-leaked-memo

This is why they don't have a web browser Threads interface. Hoovering up everyone's personal data and selling it to fascists is so profitable, they can pay people billions of dollars to sit around and do literally nothing, and still be one of the most valuable & profitabale companies in the world.

Do they need people who give a poo poo? They're missing a few things that would really make it a splash.

<========

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Waffle House posted:

Do they need people who give a poo poo? They're missing a few things that would really make it a splash.

<========

One of the reasons I hate Facebook so much is there's so many other good things those dollars and people could be doing. Imagine if we spent those billions every year on building out new nuclear plants to replace coal plants. Boom, massive dent in climate change. Maybe put some of these engineers to work on carbon capture. But no, Zuck wants to spend it all to pay talented engineers top wages to sit around at home and make first-year student games in Unity.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Waffle House posted:

They probably meant send everything.

It absolutley is critically important for a metaverse like the one they're trying to build to not be a horrible kitbash of poorly optimized assets.
If you're building a robust, clean platform, you really cannot work like that. It's one thing for vrchat to take any old poo poo in. Playstation home was very carefully curated with everything rebuilt for it.
Trust also that I'm not going into too much detail, but their complete lack of understanding how 3d works and is put together was on full show - consider my post vague, rather than detailed enough to be worthy of the benefit of the doubt.

The takeaway is that a lot of the staff working on a project which is mostly based on 3d models and content, do not understand how 3d models and assets work.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 9, 2023

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

ColdPie posted:

One of the reasons I hate Facebook so much is there's so many other good things those dollars and people could be doing. Imagine if we spent those billions every year on building out new nuclear plants to replace coal plants. Boom, massive dent in climate change. Maybe put some of these engineers to work on carbon capture. But no, Zuck wants to spend it all to pay talented engineers top wages to sit around at home and make first-year student games in Unity.

lkjdeflgkj;lkajdfs

cubicle gangster posted:

It absolutley is critically important for a metaverse like the one they're trying to build to not be a horrible kitbash of poorly optimized assets.
If you're building a robust, clean platform, you really cannot work like that. It's one thing for vrchat to take any old poo poo in. Playstation home was very carefully curated with everything rebuilt for it.
Trust also that I'm not going into too much detail, but their complete lack of understanding how 3d works and is put together was on full show - consider my post vague, rather than detailed enough to be worthy of the benefit of the doubt.

While of course it's possible, not all artists prefer to work at the same polycount, and not all styles are consistent. I myself am not very good, and my Blender workflow is nothing like that of a professional's. A cartoony style uses completely different visual technique from, say, a hard sci fi fully rendered scene, and not only is there absolutely at least one person who would bring, for example, a Magical Girl hammer into such a Hard Sci-Fi scene. I think you're thinking about a product rather than the actual market and people that would use it.

e: Consider the importance of an internal marketplace. Not everyone is going to be a pro, but some people would make livings selling things there, and grow their talent with their experience doing so. Those assets would, in some cases, be so popular that they show up everywhere in the world.

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 9, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

ColdPie posted:

That’s not how it works lol.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Waffle House posted:

. I think you're thinking about a product rather than the actual market and people that would use it.

No, I'm trying to be vague and say trust me that they don't understand. I don't know why you're assuming I don't know what I'm talking about just because I'm dancing around specifics. Nobody I spoke to on their side had more than 6 months experience even thinking about 3d.
We told them our poly counts range in the 100million up range and they said 'hm, sounds high but I think we can work with it'. Our projects take 12-18 hours to render an image of. The only way you're running our scenes in VR is if you start over from scratch using the old scene to reference.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 9, 2023

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

gschmidl posted:

A scrapist, threadophile, or "threado guy"

Well everyone, this is the post. We're all playing for second place now.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

cubicle gangster posted:

No, I'm trying to be vague and say trust me that they don't understand. I don't know why you're assuming I don't know what I'm talking about just because I'm dancing around specifics. We told them our poly counts range in the 100million up range and they said 'hm, sounds high but I think we can work with it'. Our projects take 12-18 hours to render an image of.

They must have liked y'all's style for some reason, but yeah that is a very high polycount for something that ideally has to be rendered over a few miliseconds in a room full *and made of* other objects, that contains other people chatting that have any hardware variance whatsoever, some of which might have like a GeForce 900 series or running on-chip graphics with no discrete.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Looking to hire climate engineers. Please submit your coding and I will hire the top 5 by volume.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Dial A For Awesome posted:

Like the build up to a big WWE wrestling event, I hope Zuck and Musk keep dunking on each other. Their fight should feel like a real grudge match.

Is that Zuck post real lmao

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dial A For Awesome posted:

"I've talked Grimes into renaming XF-Æ-12 to Billy."

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Is posting multiple threads crocheting?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Halisnacks posted:

I’d guess a fair number of people left Twitter for nothing in the months after Elon took over.

I agree that if someone stuck it out until now, July 2023, they are probably not the type who would leave without a replacement.

From what I understand it was less than 5% so nothing that really mattered

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Starbucks posted:

Is posting multiple threads crocheting?

Knitworking.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

considering Threads' numbers, did Bluesky gently caress up by doing the invite-only thing?

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

AndrewP posted:

considering Threads' numbers, did Bluesky gently caress up by doing the invite-only thing?
That and being a weird crypto scheme

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

AndrewP posted:

Bluesky hosed by not being a spin off of an established social media site.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

greatBigJerk posted:

Ooof, I didnt know his about Bluesky.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

greatBigJerk posted:

Whats that about?

I said come in! posted:

Ooof, I didnt know his about Bluesky.

What did you find out to confirm this for you?

Wee fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 9, 2023

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
in case you were wondering what Twitter is like today,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

AndrewP posted:

Well with Threads it was insanely easy to create an account; just open up your Instagram app. Bluesky has to start from, essentially, the bottom.