Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

All that frustrating red tape. There's plenty of wealthy, single, American men looking to adopt a harem of Haitian children.

Maybe the US needs to empower the Catholic church in Haiti. The church helped rich US childless couples adopt Irish orphans in the 20th century for a large fee. Few records were kept or questions asked. A single man could come over saying he wanted to bring back a daughter for his barren wife. Who knows what happened once they left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The Catholic Church is surely doing some hosed up stuff in Haiti, but the Mormons are all over there too

quote:

ST. GEORGE –Today, Attorney General Sean Reyes, in partnership with the Governor’s Office, presented a gubernatorial declaration recognizing January as National Slavery and Human Trafficking Prevention Month and awarded several groups, including visiting Haitian dignitaries, that are working to combat human trafficking locally and globally.

“It’s critical that every American understands that human trafficking can be found in every community, robbing victims of innocence, dignity, and hope,” Reyes said. “It is indiscriminate in its predation of people of all backgrounds, regardless of wealth or station. The groups here today deserve our gratitude for protecting the liberty and worth of our innocent children and most vulnerable citizens.”

The Declaration for National Slavery and Human Trafficking designates January in Utah as the month to remember victims and commend all groups, individuals, and public servants for their diligent efforts to educate themselves, inspire others, rebuild lives, and to protect the inherent worth of each citizen and human being.

Notable among those honored was Haiti’s Attorney General, Clame Ocnam Dameus, his Chief of Staff, Jim Petiote, as well as their wives and several staff members, for their work combatting human trafficking in their home country. Ocnam and his team are visiting Utah due to their partnership with Reyes and Operation Underground Railroad to discuss efforts abroad.
https://archives.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archive/2018/01/09/apc-utah-honors-groups-fighting-human-trafficking/#.YoBOe4zMLZs

Ballard is super Mormon and so is most of the organization he runs

quote:

Ballard’s Mormon faith also heavily influences his work. “The other option was to face my maker one day and tell him why I didn’t do it,” he says of his decision to start combating crimes against children. Ballard insists that religious belief isn’t a requirement to join OUR but notes that the staff members often pray together. If someone isn’t “comfortable praying,” he says, “they’re not going to be comfortable working with us.” (In a February interview with LDS Living magazine, Ballard was more candid about his faith: He said he launched OUR after being instructed by God to “find the lost children.”)

Today, OUR has a full-time staff of 12 people and a stable of trained volunteers, most of them Mormon. They include former military and intelligence officers, nurses and Army medics, cops and martial arts instructors. From small offices in Salt Lake City, Dallas, and Anaheim, California, OUR has coordinated more than a dozen raids in Latin America and the Caribbean. It claims to have saved at least 250 trafficking victims, including 123—55 of whom were children— in three stings coordinated across Colombia last October.
https://foreignpolicy.com/2015/07/22/the-new-abolitionists-mexico-dominican-republic-human-trafficking-mormon-our/

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

What does the End Wokeness fella look like I wonder?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

This Cartegena talk reminds me of the Secret Service prostitution scandal in Cartegena. Now I don’t think there’s much to the scandal itself, just western men abusing sex workers like is unfortunately too common in places like that.

But it does make me think of the myth of the Secret Service as hyper-competent and amazing at their job, when I’m reality they’re frequently drunk or hung over at work and have a middling track record.

I find the hyping of the secret service an interesting one, because unlike other police, hyping them up doesn’t serve to keep the masses in line.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

reminds me voa just got in "trouble" for "propagandizing to the mothership"

quote:

quote:

Some of you may recall that Trump's appointee to run Voice of America was seen as attempting to deteriorate its editorial independence; an independent investigation was recently publicly released revealing how hard he'd gone in trying to purge the place. Topline findings:
Some interesting parts

quote:

The Smith-Mundt Act prohibitions apply only to USAGM and the State Department, not the White House. USAGM guidance states that, “USAGM broadcasters have an affirmative obligation to take all steps to ensure that U.S. audiences are not being targeted” by Agency content.102 The guidelines state that, “USAGM broadcasters have an affirmative obligation to take all steps to ensure that US audiences are not being targeted; for example, broadcasters must opt out of boosting content to audiences located in the U.S.”

OCB uses a Spanish translation of VOA's best practices guide, which states that USAGM-funded journalists should “not attempt to reach audiences in the United States. This includes diaspora groups. There are no exceptions, even if the content is in a language other than English, or the groups or individuals are from countries which we reach overseas.” The guide also discusses requests from outside of USAGM to use Agency-funded content: “Ultimately, if it looks like the intent is to ignore the rules—i.e., if the goal is to influence U.S. opinion, or otherwise develop audiences within the United States—then the activity is prohibited.”

quote:

In late June 2020, CEO Pack took action to make government editorials more prominent on VOA's website and to ensure that VOA language services carried them. Given his statutory responsibility to ensure VOA adhered to its legal mandates—which include carrying U.S. government editorials explaining U.S. policy—his directive was within his authority.

How the directive was announced and implemented created friction and antipathy. VOA was not consulted or informed about the decision before USAGM issued a press release on June 24, announcing this directive. Similarly, the CEO's Office also did not give USAGM's Office of Policy—which supported making editorials more prominent— advance warning that a press release was forthcoming.

VOA had technical concerns with ensuring that government editorials were clearly distinguished from news content and did not have an opportunity to work through these concerns prior to CEO Pack's press release. The concerns extended not only to VOA's English-language site, but to dozens of VOA language service websites, as well as to automated feeds that distribute content over social media, such as Facebook Instant Articles. For well over a month, VOA language service content was not clearly distinguished from USAGM editorials on Facebook Instant Articles because both types of content went out over the same automated feed.

“All reputable news organizations keep clear, hard lines between their opinion work and their reporting,” one VOA employee wrote in August. “Without clear labeling and keeping these pieces separated from the social media accounts of our languages, we are deliberately blurring the line between opinion and news.” The VOA employee also raised the legitimate concern that this co-mingling of news with editorials raised the risk that Facebook, for instance, could begin treating government-funded VOA content like it treats state-controlled content from Russia (RT) and China (CCTV).

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I feel like restrictions on the US government operating media outlets domestically is mostly about protecting the profits of private media outlets

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Media's not even profitable anymore rich people are just willing to take a loss propagandizing to the masses

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1677825938481119232?t=nLi8A2G99gwzMxBPPmjxuQ&s=19

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I'm sure it's an isolated freak event, nothing more to see here

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
So the US military is involved in sex trafficking as well as drug smuggling. Makes sense when you look at the poor countries they operate in and have bases, are well known hot-spots for child sex tourism and sex trafficking.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm surprised for once it's not Fort Bragg.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Marenghi posted:

So the US military is involved in sex trafficking as well as drug smuggling. Makes sense when you look at the poor countries they operate in and have bases, are well known hot-spots for child sex tourism and sex trafficking.

Agreed. The US should immediately shutter all bases and withdraw all military personnel from Southern California.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

MonsieurChoc posted:

this girl was found alive, wouldn't that be a first for Bragg?

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

I remember the Afghanistan withdrawal, and Taliban fighters entering the compounds of US allied warlord to find drugs, weapons, money, obscene objects of wealth and “dancing boys.”

And we tried so hard to make them a democracy like us… they just couldn’t hack it.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Victor Vermis posted:

Agreed. The US should immediately shutter all bases and withdraw all military personnel

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

I remember the Afghanistan withdrawal, and Taliban fighters entering the compounds of US allied warlord to find drugs, weapons, money, obscene objects of wealth and “dancing boys.”

And we tried so hard to make them a democracy like us… they just couldn’t hack it.

Afghanistan became a human trafficking hot-spot with it growing every year since the US invaded. There were reports of PMCs organizing the trafficking of girls and women.

Kinda suspicious that after the US invades it becomes the source of international drugs smuggling and human trafficking rings.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Excuse me but it's now called Fort Liberty, so as to avoid celebrating America's troubled past.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

and the "dancing boys" got spun in some media as Afghan culture on the whole being 100% pedo and our poor boys just HAD to go along because of pc gone mad!!!

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
The war in Afghanistan and our poo poo rear end attempt at nation building pisses me off. We were there for over 20 years. We could have educated two loving generations into being pro-america and pro west and somehow we dicked that all up.

Instead we did our damned best to make sure we're going to get attacked by these people for the next 60 god drat years.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

FunOne posted:

The war in Afghanistan and our poo poo rear end attempt at nation building pisses me off. We were there for over 20 years. We could have educated two loving generations into being pro-america and pro west and somehow we dicked that all up.

Instead we did our damned best to make sure we're going to get attacked by these people for the next 60 god drat years.

That's not very "next quarters profits" of you, you'll never hack it as the head of a military contracting company

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

FunOne posted:

Never Forget the time Mullah Omar sent 19 brave mujahideen to topple the towers with one of his signature Manhattan ambushes.

And it'll just keep happening because we never put the big brains in power who KNOW how to effectively nation build in a way that definitely isn't colonization.

Lots of lessons learned, folks.

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

Marenghi posted:

Afghanistan became a human trafficking hot-spot with it growing every year since the US invaded. There were reports of PMCs organizing the trafficking of girls and women.

Kinda suspicious that after the US invades it becomes the source of international drugs smuggling and human trafficking rings.

Most "normal" people don't remember that in 2002, Heroin deaths started surging again, just as we invaded Afghanistan. The Clinton admin actually did a somewhat decent job of making it hard to get Heroin in the late 90s, but the floodgates opened once we were in Afghanistan. Just like what happened during and after Vietnam. Weird how that happened. Ok 'll say it, The Bush family made lots of money from being middlemen in the drug trafficking world.

I Miss Snausages has issued a correction as of 00:12 on Jul 10, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

[Epstein] The Clinton admin actually did a somewhat decent job

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

mawarannahr posted:

[Epstein] The Clinton admin actually did a somewhat decent job

Just going by number of OD deaths from 1990-1999, number go down, cost of heroin go up. Don't worry, Rodger still got all the coke he needed.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Marenghi posted:

this just reminded me of that US naval base in Bahrain where an investigation found that like 10% of the sailors there owned a slave

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

FunOne posted:

Almost as if both the war on terror and 9/11 itself benefited a narrow band of the military industrial complex in a way that nation building wouldn’t.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Building a school doesn't show up in the quarterly GDP, but throwing a bunch of self destructive products into a poor neighborhood certainly does.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Q dorks are now flooding every single rolling stone article because of the bad review

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
The Roger Ebert dot com review where it's like "this might as well be a news article rather than a movie" brought the nutbags out too

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm sure Rolling Stone has always taken a strong stance and movies like th-

https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1303768381619924995?t=Rfi3VcUiplygD3MWCd8TBQ&s=19

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
new biolabs just dropped:

https://www.blackagendareport.com/index.php/new-wave-protests-begin-us-troops-enter-peru-train-armed-forces

cached copy of the page

quote:

New Wave of Protests Begin as US Troops Enter Perú to Train Armed Forces
Clau O'Brien Moscoso
14 Jun 2023

A Third Takeover of Lima is the next action planned in the mobilization against the coup government in Peru.

National Strike, Day 161

As the parliamentary coup against democratically elected president Pedro Castillo enters its sixth month, the people of Perú continue the protests and begin a new wave of coordinated actions throughout the country to prepare for a third Takeover of Lima in July. Despite the coup regime’s various attempts to stifle the uprising that began December 7th and has continued both in the capital city of Lima and in the outer provinces and regions, despite the Supreme Court ruling declaring protests are not a protected right and Congress trying to take Perú out of the InterAmerican Commission on Human Rights, the people have not stopped making their voices heard. With the entrance of hundreds of US military personnel starting on June 1st, it is yet to be seen what this deployment means for the movement and the people’s struggle for a plurinational and sovereign nation, but plans continue for a renewed wave of protests.

June 7th marked Flag Day in Perú as well the 6 month anniversary of the Boluarte/ Fujimori coup regime that claimed the lives of over 80 Peruvians during the uprising. Peruvians, particularly in the southern regions of Puno, Arequipa, and Apurímac raised the black and white Peruvian flag honoring those killed in the 6 months of dictatorship. Merchants in mercados throughout the country raised the black and white flag, the families of victims and others in places like Ayacucho, Junin and in Lima staged a “lavado” (wash) in public squares where they were washing flags in buckets of soap and water (to metaphorically get the blood of their slain children and other martyrs and abuses of this dictatorship off the flag), and continuous organizing towards the July 19th Third Takeover Of Lima where delegations of people from outer regions into Lima to demand the ouster of the Boularte regime, the closure of Congress, and justice for the victims, among other demands.

As with much of this popular uprising, the southern region of Puno has provided leadership to the struggle. On May 30th, all of Puno observed a full strike (paro seco) that had all storefronts, hostels, and restaurants closed in observance of this decision made by Popular Assembly. Through various formations, both longstanding and newly formed in these past six months, popular assemblies have been converging throughout the regions and macro regions of the country to plan for the upcoming delegations heading to Lima, but also to plan more local actions like the strike on May 30th, and more importantly, what the demands of a popular, sovereign and plurinational constituent assembly should be. Other regions, like Arequipa, have also agreed to the Third Takeover of Lima for mid July while also planning local actions in the lead up to the mass march on the capital, according to Yasmani Cayo, presidente del Frente de Defensa del Avelino.

The Boluarte regime declared an additional 60 days of a State of Emergency for Puno in response to the planned protests. The next day would result in tense scenes in the city of Juliaca in Puno with police and mourners jostling to lower the flag at half mast, but no deadlier interactions reported. With this round of renewed protests and major mobilizations to the capital city of Lima, the mobilized masses have yet to face the brutality of what training the Peruvian Armed Forces are receiving from the additional 1,000 US military troops. As President of Cuba Miguel Diaz-Canel recently stated when asked about the entrance of US troops to Perú, “that is interference, that is aggression. A country that respects itself does not allow that. That is an attack against the sovereignty of a nation, it is to end self determination…Behind this, it shows the interest to assault and be present in the problems of our countries as an element of domination.”

As government contracts from the Department of Defense flood into Lima, particularly the Naval Medical Research Unit Six (NAMRU-6), the primary source of infectious diseases research in the Latin American region for the US Navy, it’s clear that the US is stationing itself further entrenched in Perú not only to help clamp down the popular uprising inside the country, but also as a threat to the region of what happens when the people elect a government promising to have the resources of the country benefit the masses.

Clau O'Brien Moscoso is an organizer with the Black Alliance for Peace in the Haiti/Americas Team. Originally from Barrios Altos, Lima, she grew up in New Jersey and now lives between both countries.

https://pdf.usaid.gov/pdf_docs/PBAAF347.pdf

gradenko_2000 has issued a correction as of 04:16 on Jul 10, 2023

multistability
Feb 15, 2014

https://en.mercopress.com/2023/07/10/guillain-barre-syndrome-health-emergency-declared-in-peru

Uh huh

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

misread that as US-NAMBLA lab

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Interesting, cspam also gets bouts of GBS occasionally. I hope they’re okay and don’t suffer too much from people lolling at russian infantry death videos

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

FunOne posted:

It's hard to make people like you when you turn the country into an opium farm and enslave children to harvest it and be prostitutes. Or they are vaporized by terror bombing. Just like Vietnam the only winning move is total genocide.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

FunOne posted:

in this context, i am especially glad the project failed lol

the only thing that could come anywhere close to making all that carnage and death worth it is if it has a direct hand in destroying empire.

Like, a propaganda coup would justify the unjustifiable. This country is dirt dogshit evil, it's good to hope for people to hate it.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

wow! I hate knowing this!

talking about peru but Afghanistan and any of it really

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

My working theory is that the name 'Obama' turns up in those docs in relation to P. Lumumba a bit too often for the DNC's comfort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

MonsieurChoc posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaGEmMCGLBU

Love that the concert is now a generic peace concert instead of one specifically supporting a leftist anti-colonialist government. Probably won't mention the thugs that tried to kill him were sent by the CIA either.
pretty sure I picked it up from this thread, but Marlon James's A Brief History of Seven Killings is a really good read that kind of spirals out from the Bob Marley assassination attempt into relationships between the US, Jamaica, the CIA, the drug trade, and all kinds of people involved at various levels. I felt like I needed a translation guide since almost all of the characters based on real people have their names changed, but once you pick up on one, you start recognizing others. It's a pretty big undertaking (almost 700 pages), but I thought it was a really interesting book, and I'd definitely recommend it if it sounds interesting to you.

ex: this guy is a pretty prominent character, and readers of this thread will probably be able to read between some of the lines on this short entry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lester_Lloyd_Coke