Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Propublica did an expose a few months ago about how companies like we buy ugly houses are built entirely around finding and taking advantage of the desperate, right down to trolling funeral notices and going after the newly widowed.

drat that’s especially awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

yea when my boyfriend died I got a bunch of solicitations to buy our house (that we didn’t even own)

pissed me the hell off. can’t imagine how much worse it is now in this market

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

PoundSand posted:

Why does this work anyways? Like if I were going to hypothetically sell to an obvious flipper couldn't I just do the cheap reno myself and pocket the higher sale price? Someone coming to you to buy your house like this is basically out in the open saying that they want to turn around and sell it for more than they will offer you. It'd be like having your own business and then hiring a boss to skim profits from you.

We get these texts all the time cause our neighborhood is hot but even if we were ever thinking of selling instead of just living here till we die on our cheap af mortgage I know we'd get way more from putting it on the market than just accepting a random person coming by hoping for an easy profit.

Most people don’t have the money for a “cheap” Reno which is still gonna run like $25k for a bathroom/kitchen/paint. And that’s if you know what you’re doing, which most people don’t

Other use cases are homes with sufficient code violations to render the home ineligible for traditional financing, greatly reducing the prospective buyer pool.

Finally, these people send out thousands of these letters/texts, eventually someone is gonna bite. High-pressure sales tactics do the rest. Once they have it under contract, they find an investor with cash to buy it for more, and then pocket the difference. It’s called “wholesaling”, and is the method by which YOU! can start making money in real estate without any cash of your own :smugdon:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I think it's to catch people who are desperate and/or in a tight spot.

Yeah, it has nothing to do with people being lazy. The people who fall for these offers need to sell right away for one reason or another, or they need money, and it honestly never occurred to them that their house could be money.

Actual flippers aren't going for the people with the knowledge/money/time to sell their home anywhere near market value. There's no profit in that, even for homes in relatively poor condition that legitimately need renovation work. Those homes will still end up selling for a lot on the open market, eventually. The scam artists are trying to catch people who are willing to sell for drastically below reasonable market value.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1677705466653073409?s=20

quote:

Marr added that the homeownership rate of Generation Z adults (age 18 to 27) has already surpassed the rate of Generation X (age 44 to 59) who owned homes when they were still in their 20s, a phenomenon also attributable to an older generation stepping in to help their kids become homeowners.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
the two generations

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

aaaaa

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Crusty Nutsack posted:

yea when my boyfriend died I got a bunch of solicitations to buy our house (that we didn’t even own)

pissed me the hell off. can’t imagine how much worse it is now in this market

:wtc: that's on up there with robbers following funeral notices bc they know the houses will be empty.

I'm so sorry you had to go thru that. :glomp:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

lmao, it's not boomers doing all-cash offers; it's investor groups.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

but also lmao if zoomers are outpacing millies in home ownership by age.

just lmao @ everything.

except assholes exploiting deaths to rob people, they can eat a dick.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The Propublica expose on We Buy Ugly Houses

https://www.propublica.org/article/ugly-truth-behind-we-buy-ugly-houses

quote:

Cory Evans was well-versed in the HomeVestors of America playbook when he arrived at a suburban Los Angeles home on Nov. 4, 2016. His franchise with the “We Buy Ugly Houses” company had executed more than 50 deals in the preceding two years. Patriot Holdings would soon become one of the company’s most successful franchises by following HomeVestors’ strategy of finding homeowners in desperate situations, then convincing them to sell quickly.

The homeowner, Corrine Casanova, had bought the three-bedroom Baldwin Park bungalow with her husband in 1961 and now owned it outright. After raising three children there, she was days away from leaving it for an assisted living facility and had called the number on a HomeVestors ad.

“I was wondering if I could get an estimate of the value of my home,” she told the woman who answered the phone. “My husband’s gone, so it’s just me now.”

Evans, who ran the business with three of his brothers, had developed a reputation among other franchisees in the area as a “hard closer.” Casanova’s house was paid off, giving Evans room to go low with his offer because there wasn’t a mortgage to settle. He calculated the profit he wanted to make and presented Casanova with a 10-page purchase agreement during the short visit to her house.

But Casanova was incapable of engaging in a complex negotiation. Although she was once a skilled bookkeeper and president of the local women’s club, dementia now carved into her short-term memory: A recent neurological assessment had found the 82-year-old was unable to say what year it was or name the city she was in. She routinely mistook her adult son for his uncle.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

good news for golden handcuffs but i say DOUBT

https://twitter.com/newslambert/status/1677753046204395520

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Willa Rogers posted:

lmao, it's not boomers doing all-cash offers; it's investor groups.

its both

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

2025?! what a timely solution!

and surely home prices won’t increase by a fuckton in the meanwhile

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

if a british communist pamphlet says so i'm in

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
"why build more homes when we can just occupy the alternate maze dimension of endless well-lit office space?" - says the USA

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
The Fed isn't going to admit that the US economy can't function without the free money life support until the economy actually goes off a cliff. We're probably not even at their intended terminal rate yet and substantial cuts aren't going to happen while they can still insist that the US economy is good and strong.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

There's some big cracks in the facade opening in this piece:

quote:

"There will be no return to the 3% rates we had during the pandemic," Bright MLS chief economist Lisa Sturtevant said in a statement Thursday. "Homebuyers have had to accept the ‘new normal’ of rates around 6.5% or even a little higher."

Anyone who overextended themselves betting on a rate pivot and refi is going to get owned.

quote:

"As many people continue working from home, close commutes are not drawing people back into cities," she said, adding: "Cities are not back, and may never be back in terms of attracting the same level of buyers."
"Back in 2018 or 2019, you would have said millennials would never move to the suburbs; it was all about back to the city, walkable neighborhoods, amenities," Marr said, adding: "But now that they're starting families and severing ties with the commute, there's less of a priority to have proximity to a city center. People are now valuing space, a home office, a yard.

RIP city cores. It's gonna be the 70's again.

Apr 7, 2003

City-loving millennials here have been moving to the suburbs eventually for as long as I’ve been paying attention. You can set a clock the instant they have kids.

When we were looking for a new place earlier this year, the majority of the houses we looked at had pictures of toddlers or other stuff saying they’d just had a kid. White people are terrified of city schools and if you don’t send your (white) kid to one of the suburban districts here people act like you’re abusing your kids.

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin
It’s normal to want to send your kids to the best schools

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm one of the few people I know hoping to move back into one of the big cities around 'kid time'

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Failson posted:

Portland prices may actually be going... Down?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1108-NE-Davis-St-Portland-OR-97232/53853891_zpid/

$539,000, 1000 sq ft. Buy it before it gets HGTV'd!

The room where the magic happens

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

City-loving millennials here have been moving to the suburbs eventually for as long as I’ve been paying attention. You can set a clock the instant they have kids.

When we were looking for a new place earlier this year, the majority of the houses we looked at had pictures of toddlers or other stuff saying they’d just had a kid. White people are terrified of city schools and if you don’t send your (white) kid to one of the suburban districts here people act like you’re abusing your kids.

you have so many stupid as gently caress opinions about poo poo you have zero clue about. it's sort of impressive.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
speaking of schools and housing, due to job relocation and school year starting in 1.5 months. we may have to rent short term in the school we want our kid in and then hopefully buy . the goal is to sell/buy and move by end of august lol across the state.(good fuckin luck)

tomorrow have final numbers on what we pre qualify for and meeting buying real estate agent.

living in an older home though has trained us in accepting bad wall paper or outdated kitchens since it’s nbd to change.

a lot of houses were seeing though seem to have too many step downs which is so silly.

to help clean the house for selling I got a steam cleaner and dang should have bought one long ago

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Nothus posted:

RIP city cores. It's gonna be the 70's again.

I don't see what the difference is between now and when these same articles were being written about Gen-X getting old and having kids. When part of Gen-X moved to the suburbs they were replaced by millenials and downsizing boomers. The same thing is going to happen with millenials just shifted over one generation.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

BULBASAUR posted:

The room where the magic happens

Hellraiser room

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

If we could just afford a two bedroom apartment and not have our rent jacked way up every other year we would have seriously considered raising kids in the city. It had nothing to do with making sure our daughter didn’t encounter any poors or browns at school. As a matter of fact there’s more of those in the suburb we wound up in since they’ve all been priced out of the city along with us.

Apr 7, 2003

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

you have so many stupid as gently caress opinions about poo poo you have zero clue about. it's sort of impressive.

You moved to send your kids to a white school district too, huh

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud has issued a correction as of 02:07 on Jul 10, 2023

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Weembles posted:

I don't see what the difference is between now and when these same articles were being written about Gen-X getting old and having kids. When part of Gen-X moved to the suburbs they were replaced by millenials and downsizing boomers. The same thing is going to happen with millenials just shifted over one generation.

yeah. also millennials seem to like living in the city core. even when they make babey.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ornery and Hornery posted:

yeah. also millennials seem to like living in the city core. even when they make babey.

that doesn't exactly disprove white flight when that directly coincided with the suburbs becoming much more diverse

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://reductress.com/post/nice-woman-buys-starter-home-that-five-generations-of-a-family-have-lived-and-died-in/

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

You moved to send your kids to a white school district too, huh

what

do you even have kids lmfao

Apr 7, 2003

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

what

do you even have kids lmfao

I didn’t state an opinion, I just said that millennials have been moving out to the suburbs for as long as they’ve been having kids. You got mad about that for some reason. Makes you think

Apr 7, 2003

It’s okay if you want Kayden and Brayden to go to school with people like them, no one is judging you.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

city versus suburb comes down to wanting an apartment or house imo

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

you post a shitload about kids and parents for someone who knows absolutely nothing about them. makes you think.

Apr 7, 2003

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

you post a shitload about kids and parents for someone who knows absolutely nothing about them. makes you think.

No one’s judging you for wanting to put your kids in de facto segregated schools. You told on yourself.

“Good schools” means “white schools” in the US and schools are more segregated now than they were in the seventies. The number one factor in your child’s education, as always, is parental involvement.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

what the gently caress are you talking about

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I stuck a mailbox on the place I'm moving to yesterday

i'm going to slap a house of the month plaque on my house too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

It came with the house, jealous?