Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Oh man... I only just realized boss rush mode is from the start of the game (match session w/e) not the character. Wow. I may be a dumbass but even this dumbass can achieve that! Aether walker in the cube, LoD, Hoarder, and Stricken gems, worship gloves and Goldskin on merc. With a little luck and maybe a few tries this should be cake.

Speaking of luck, got the rift in under 2 minutes done with a perfect huge dense map. This season will soon be mine!

I've seen talk of an extra stash tab reward but can't find any evidence of that. Maybe I need to do the other seasonal challenges? (Stuff like let urzael bonk you 5 times before killing him).

After this it's echoing nightmare, gibbering gemstone, and getting more primal.

Also, I've always enjoyed the way stairs and ramps make frozen orb go up or down. Found out that if you get a speed pylon and displace a mob into the air (by running through them) you can sometimes fire your orb almost right up at the screen and for some reason it greatly amuses me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Boss Mode is one of those conquests that seems hard intuitively but is actually super easy. Best way to do it is to start in Act V where either Adria or Urzael are the bounty boss and work your way down. Any class with an infinite teleport will make quick work of it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

BRJurgis posted:

I've seen talk of an extra stash tab reward but can't find any evidence of that. Maybe I need to do the other seasonal challenges? (Stuff like let urzael bonk you 5 times before killing him).

You get the extra Stash Tab for completing the Conquerer tier of the Season Journey. That consists of:

T13 GR in under 5 minutes
GR 60 Solo
Defeat Azmodan in under 30 seconds
Defeat Greed on T13
Reforge a Legendary Item
One 50+ Augment
3 Gems to Rank 55
Complete Any 2 Conquests

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I got my angelic dragon. Also determined that since I'm on console, 350 stash capacity is just what I get full stop. No problem, now that I've done that who knows what I will accomplish!

The gems I use are all almost 90, so I've reached a point where my GR runs and gem upgrades will slow down. Might strategically ride the 100% upgrade chance rift level (+10 from gem level) and slowly go up rift by rift, but I could also just leave it on GR95 (still rather quick and easy) or even lower, and get EVERY gem to 80+. Or I could harden the gently caress up and try echoing nightmare. I also still lack the courage to fight malthael on t16 after nearly dying to him doing bounties in early torment awhile ago (albeit with far lesser build and gear). He just keeps coming at you and its hard to get him in the frozen orb kill zone. Plus he seems to do heavy damage and you can't bail and run away!

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

BRJurgis posted:

Oh man... I only just realized boss rush mode is from the start of the game (match session w/e) not the character. Wow. I may be a dumbass but even this dumbass can achieve that! Aether walker in the cube, LoD, Hoarder, and Stricken gems, worship gloves and Goldskin on merc. With a little luck and maybe a few tries this should be cake.

Are you playing console or PC? On PC it's very doable but on console it's very hard to accomplish solo. There are guides online to do it but it's a very very tight timer. All those long load times? That counts to you need to beat all bosses within 20 minutes of starting not 20 minutes of playable time.

Curses is similar because console spawns in fewer enemies so it's harder to reach 350 kills. Where it's pretty trivial to reach on PC.

I just did the 6 set dungeons over 2 characters. All 4 Necro ones are stupid easy.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

BRJurgis posted:

It's a reward for the completing the penultimate "Conqueror" rank.

The real challenge is finding six goddamn primals. I'm not really pushing right now because there's too many other games to play, but I've been short one primal for ages and keep jumping on to run 4-5 inventory fillups a day. Still missing the final one to finish the altar.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

gariig posted:

Are you playing console or PC? On PC it's very doable but on console it's very hard to accomplish solo. There are guides online to do it but it's a very very tight timer. All those long load times? That counts to you need to beat all bosses within 20 minutes of starting not 20 minutes of playable time.

Curses is similar because console spawns in fewer enemies so it's harder to reach 350 kills. Where it's pretty trivial to reach on PC.

I just did the 6 set dungeons over 2 characters. All 4 Necro ones are stupid easy.

Mailer posted:

It's a reward for the completing the penultimate "Conqueror" rank.

The real challenge is finding six goddamn primals. I'm not really pushing right now because there's too many other games to play, but I've been short one primal for ages and keep jumping on to run 4-5 inventory fillups a day. Still missing the final one to finish the altar.

Yes I'm on console. Got the boss rush done though, hell yeah aether walker + wormhole rune (infinity teleporting).

You mean if I complete all conquests? Or is finishing the altar the final accomplishment? Cuz I got the conquerer season journey rank completed, have the tiny angelic dragon to prove it. I could have a go at doing GR50 with different sets without much fuss I guess (I'd have to setup my necromancer for at least one tho). I have every wizard set item along with relevant legendaries. I compare after each run and then store the best salvage the rest, so much of it is ancient at this point.

I'll never get 350 kills on a chest tho, as far as I can tell. I know not all chests are the same, but i make sure poo poo spawns dead and I still haven't cracked higher than 200 or so even on the chests that seem more populous. Guides advocate seeking a certain chest in act 5, but I don't think frozen orb is the build for that. Maybe huge aoe archon (if it's even possible solo on console).

Honestly I don't know how to join a public game. I'm pretty sure I've been hosting them but nobody has ever joined.

Seriously, how do I join a game and interact with other players I'm not already friends with. I just assume everybody coordinates and nobody bothers with pub stuff.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I didn't know the magically appearing stash tabs were related to the challenges, so I just spent 30 minutes cursing at rock worms for the Tal Rasha set dungeon.

Not fun to play the game by minimap. I quit playing Dota a year ago and am still trying to keep clean :colbert:

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i wish heros of the storm had been a bit more popular because it was pretty fun for me as a casual moba. i never got into dota or league but it really clicked with me and i only went off it when they did that revamp with the monetisation

[quote="BRJurgis" post="533082167"]
Seriously, how do I join a game and interact with other players I'm not already friends with. I just assume everybody coordinates and nobody bothers with pub stuff.
[/quote

not near my switch atm but iirc theres just an option where you choose what kind of session you want like bounties or rifts or whatever and you can join a game and if nobody is playing on that difficulty in that type of session itll just start a single player one thats available to join. switch was dead past the first few weeks of a season though and it would only work if you had your internet set up to nat ports a and b though which for some reason my old router didnt want to do that

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 10, 2023

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Come back to hots, they don’t care about it anymore so they don’t change things.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
how are queue times? i could be convinced to pick it up while i wait for diablo 4 season 1 to kick off

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Heroes of the storm is still fun and rewarding. IMO ARAM is the best way to play solo, fast games low stakes and constant action. If you're not experienced enough with the roster to do ARAM, there's always quick match... but I think quick match benefits greatly from coordination and so you need to have a pre-made or get lucky with a cooperative rando team. Personally I can't stand drawn out qm games with an absurd team and no hope for success. Hard to play intentfully when you want it to end sooner rather than later. At least in ARAM you can just "pew pew".

Sometimes you'll join as a five man and do qm, and they're bad and/or don't work as a team. That's unfortunate, so either you enjoy their company and play anyway, or leave (or push for 5 man ARAM, that's what I do no matter what, but I just like ARAM).

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

how are queue times? i could be convinced to pick it up while i wait for diablo 4 season 1 to kick off

Real short, I rarely wait for more than a minute when playing ARAM, though I always queue with a buddy. If you don’t want to play aram, then it’s probably longer.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Halls of torment on steam. 4 dollars and it's Diablo 1 and vampire survivors had a baby. It's great on steam deck to boot.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

BRJurgis posted:

You mean if I complete all conquests? Or is finishing the altar the final accomplishment? Cuz I got the conquerer season journey rank completed, have the tiny angelic dragon to prove it.

It's been ages since I dorked around with the console UI but here's what the journey looks like on PC for the Conqueror rank with the +1 stash space clearly showing:

The Guardian (final) rank is where you get the pet, as shown here:

Unless they've gone weird on console then having the pet means you've already cleared Conqueror, which means you got the stash tab. The altar is technically not part of the season journey, but completing it (including the potions) gets you a new set of wings.

Suburban Dad posted:

Halls of torment on steam. 4 dollars and it's Diablo 1 and vampire survivors had a baby. It's great on steam deck to boot.

Seconded. It's a bit grindier than VS but it ticks all the boxes and costs nothing and it currently on sale on top of that.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Seems there is indeed no stash reward on console, PC only. I don't even have "tabs" you just have units of space you can upgrade with gold, up to 350 with no other restrictions.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

BRJurgis posted:

Seems there is indeed no stash reward on console, PC only. I don't even have "tabs" you just have units of space you can upgrade with gold, up to 350 with no other restrictions.

I'm a long-time console player and can confirm that there's no extra stash space above the 350 spots. It used to be 250, they increased to 350 maybe six or seven years ago, and it's been capped there ever since.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Finally got the courage to try echoing nightmare. First run I accidentally hit the conduit shrine first, and just ran around in a panic until I was overwhelmed. Second run was better, but I was so focused on dodging molten blasts and meteors I ticked out at 111.

It gets hairy in there! I could see one mistake ending me. I think I can pull off 125 though, just need concentration and nerves of steel. Don't think I'll ever find that gibbering gemstone though.

Pff
Aug 17, 2012

BRJurgis posted:

focused on dodging molten blasts

I don't know if it's obvious but those can be controlled by killing the generators on the perimeter. One less thing.

wonderboy
Aug 15, 2001
What is the secret of your power?
Angry Chicken enjoyers, time to PTR!

https://us.diablo3.blizzard.com/en-us/blog/23987087

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

They removed the need to do set dungeons! D3 devs should teach d4 devs that it's ok to let players have fun, lol

I am still hopeful the altar is permanent just for more checklist things to do. The new enemy affixes sound powerful on first glance, assuming you're playing on a difficulty where they don't explode instantly.

E: and now there's gonna be a Titan quest 2, what a day for arpgs

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 11, 2023

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

quote:

Demon slayers seeking to up the intensity of their journey through Sanctuary can try out the new Solo Self Found mode. In this mode, you’ll have only yourself to rely on to overcome the hordes from Hell. That’s right, it’s a single player experience.

That's how I've played the last few seasons anyway -- interested to see if there's anything different about this than just, you know, not grouping with other players.

Legit excited for the new season, though.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
What am I missing here, because that season looks absolutely boring. And this is supposedly the "final" one. :effort:

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
yes new d3 season I can't wait

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Im_Special posted:

What am I missing here, because that season looks absolutely boring. And this is supposedly the "final" one. :effort:

They said it wasn't going to be a big update like the current season. I'll reserve judgement until playing it but yeah it doesn't sound super crazy.

Also saw that the altar will return... After s29 when seasons go into maintenance mode and rotate.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Jfc, wish Blizzard wasn't a poor indie company and could make a post that wasn't eye murder on mobile.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
That paragon ceiling change is going to be wild. The 800 cap kinda stinks (though they might adjust it based on performance and feedback) but you can now dump all 200 points of each tab into a single stat. Having access to a single chunk of up to 40% CDR is insanity for uptime with how it stacks, especially if your class already has other similar options to synergize. Same deal with RCR, though it's much more niche.

SSF feels like too little, too late though. The separate leaderboards is good but the game is functionally dead and going into even more of a maintenance mode than it has been the past few years. Now that paragon is capped the only real downside is losing access to split bounties.

Still no word on how long they anticipate seasons being from now on.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I'm not sure the Paragon change is going to go over well…

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
Even if it's a fool's hope, I kinda hope that Blizz would alter (heh) or expand the Altar of Rites to include some of the themes from previous seasons. Some of them were really fun, and since we're going to an maintenance mode / endless rotation, why not just go loving crazy and let us be portable nukes

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Some good news about the Altar of Rites, sorta;

https://twitter.com/pezradar/status/1690055379869454336?s=46&t=COtF69ljartMgSBHuh8VKw

quote:

We know the community enjoyed the Season 28 mechanic but did want to note that the Altar of Rites from S28 will return permanently beginning in Season 30 (after this new season).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

This is gonna be a weird season, huge power decrease for most classes with the Paragon cap and no Altar of Rites until S30. Seems very skippable. I think 2000 is a much more reasonable max level given how quickly EXP rates scale in this game. 800 you can do in like two days.

My recommendation: Open up a 5th and 6th Paragon category and put stuff like Elemental Damage % / CC Duration / Damage Reduction / Healing from Orbs etc. in there. Gives players more greebles to sink their points into.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
it's gonna really hurt in season 29 to not have the pet perks and various other utility nodes :negative:

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Swilo posted:

it's gonna really hurt in season 29 to not have the pet perks and various other utility nodes :negative:

Yeah, agreed. I don't care as much about the power level buffs from it, though they were nice. But going without the utility, ugh. In general this season may well be a pass for me unless the pet is really amazing. Just nothing has hooked me yet looking at the PTR notes.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Oh man, I never even finished my altar. I never completed echoing nightmares, and never found that goddamn gibbering gemstone. Will my current seasonal characters retain my progress?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The altar will go away once the season ends, at least until S30, when it will become permanent.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Bummer. Guess its my own fault for being slow. Still can't help feeling dissapointed at the news, since I'm basically already seasonal solo self found HC (I do benefit from gems and mats in stash, but really only have one endgame level char anyway).

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
e. beaten, can't read

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 12, 2023

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

BRJurgis posted:

Oh man, I never even finished my altar. I never completed echoing nightmares, and never found that goddamn gibbering gemstone. Will my current seasonal characters retain my progress?

I managed to make one Staff for the altar and one to keep. I don’t ever want to set foot in that cave again.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Back in the day you had to make a Staff of Herding, Nightmarish Staff of Herding, Hellish Staff of Herding, and Infernal Staff of Herding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I tried hard, but could never find the one more primal I needed to finish the altar. Just lost interest at that point.