Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Shipon posted:

they make people worse drivers, since people just stare at the screen instead of actually looking back

In modern American SUVs you can't even see children behind the vehicle if you actually look back. Only the backup camera will show them.

Our idiotic cars would be even more idiotic without them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Vox Nihili posted:

In modern American SUVs you can't even see children behind the vehicle if you actually look back.

Or in front of them, at least with some of the big brodozer trucks.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
There's actually been some moves towards requiring cars to have front-facing cameras so that the driver can see what is in front of the car: https://usa.streetsblog.org/2022/08/17/senator-calls-on-feds-to-mandate-frontover-cameras-on-huge-cars-but-it-wont-save-enough-lives

More and more kids die every year as their parents run them over because you can't see what's in front of your giant SUV as you drive.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Total sum of truck bed contents over entire lifespan of truck: groceries, maybe a couch one time

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

about a month ago I was at the store and a woman was driving a truck so massive she couldn’t even reach the bed to put groceries in. she was parked next to the cart return and was standing on it to reach the bed

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
all the old men at work had a great laugh when they saw the hot young painter and her lifted f250. they were taking pictures of her getting in

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

There's actually been some moves towards requiring cars to have front-facing cameras so that the driver can see what is in front of the car: https://usa.streetsblog.org/2022/08/17/senator-calls-on-feds-to-mandate-frontover-cameras-on-huge-cars-but-it-wont-save-enough-lives

More and more kids die every year as their parents run them over because you can't see what's in front of your giant SUV as you drive.

the soviets used a normal sized car

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/nearcyan/status/1677500476856696832?t=4J9FFcQbgroWDgisdGS_jg&s=19
https://twitter.com/SebAaltonen/status/1677953740265881600?t=USQ4AXhpFXrCOBLYL1sPCg&s=19
https://twitter.com/ghost_motley/status/1678070544095227906?t=8euFLG0Ltz6EWy-qXFLMzQ&s=19

There's been a rash of these anti-Firefox posts lately and the PFC Theory of All Discourse is Astroturfed points to Google trying to convince people to stay with Chrome/Chromium while they prepare to stop adblockers in Chrome at the same time that they're about to make ads far more ubiquitous.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Shipon posted:

they make people worse drivers, since people just stare at the screen instead of actually looking back

Cross traffic alert and backup camera has saved me so much hassle as I back out onto a street with zero visibility due to other parked cars and people doing 2x the speed limit. My car’s rear end can detect other cars and it is fantastic.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I still daily drive Firefox and it starts up instantly. :confused:

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

There's been a rash of these anti-Firefox posts lately and the PFC Theory of All Discourse is Astroturfed points to Google trying to convince people to stay with Chrome/Chromium while they prepare to stop adblockers in Chrome at the same time that they're about to make ads far more ubiquitous.

I don't get this "slow launch time" as a talking point. Like I launch my browser once a week maybe, and on a machine that is about 4 years old it takes like a second and a half. It's not a metric I could see anyone caring about.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
ill never not use firefox, gently caress off google

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/nearcyan/status/1677500476856696832?t=4J9FFcQbgroWDgisdGS_jg&s=19
https://twitter.com/SebAaltonen/status/1677953740265881600?t=USQ4AXhpFXrCOBLYL1sPCg&s=19
https://twitter.com/ghost_motley/status/1678070544095227906?t=8euFLG0Ltz6EWy-qXFLMzQ&s=19

Alls I know is the flash-like game I still play runs better in Chrome and Opera. This computer is like 8 years old though.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

do you know what makes things run slow? loading 70000000 ads, which are how many there are on every webpage now

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

alarumklok posted:

do you know what makes things run slow? loading 70000000 ads, which are how many there are on every webpage now

yes this is entirely new and hasn't been the case since the 90's

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

yeah like 10 years ago chrome ran faster and used less ram, but over the years it has mysteriously gotten slower and more bloated, almost as if delivering optimum performance is not the project's main goal.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

what's entirely new is chrome killing their adblockers, so even if it had a speed advantage it sure as gently caress doesn't now

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

RandomBlue posted:

yes this is entirely new and hasn't been the case since the 90's

I wouldn't know either way because I haven't been on the web without an adblocker since 2004.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

gradenko_2000 posted:

i'm the "tabs too big" complaint

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
tabs too big

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Hmm...maybe the problem is that a single company controls so much of the web's modern architecture, including how a lot of people access the internet through their browser.

No; it's Firefox that's wrong!

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
I’ve been using Firefox since it was called Phoenix. I will never stop.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

holefoods posted:

about a month ago I was at the store and a woman was driving a truck so massive she couldn’t even reach the bed to put groceries in. she was parked next to the cart return and was standing on it to reach the bed

Just this morning some guy in a giant truck parked next to me at Lowes and couldn’t get out of his truck because it was too close to my car. He sat there for two or three minutes waiting for me to pull out, then he drove off to find another spot rather than shuffle over a bit. Lol

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Firefox defaults with tabs on top and u gotta do a bunch of scripting bs to put them on bottom it's bullshit!!!

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

cat botherer posted:

:smug: netscape or gtfo

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

From some statistics I've seen, give or take 40% of internet users are adblocking at some level at this point. How much of that is default settings on modern browsers and how much is extensions only browser makers will really know, but Google's right to be nervous. They could very easily kick off Browser Wars III the Browsening by shooting themselves in the foot this way.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

gradenko_2000 posted:

cat botherer posted:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

gradenko_2000 posted:

if there's one thing that everyone should learn is how easily discourse is manipulated (see also the eglin air force base study of social media) and whole thing fake. so probably

i personally did the Phoenix -> Firebird -> Firefox thing up until swapping to Chrome circa 2005 for about 15 years. then about 2 years ago I re-installed FF for the first time and ditched Chrome permanently because google is rapidly enshittifying itself and keeps saying they're going to ban adblockers with manifest 3. i decided to get ahead of the curve and try to get off as many google products as possible because the corp sucks rear end.

my take: firefox is good again now. no issues. also that bot is wrong about 80% of those things, they're all customizable to look exactly however you want. my tabs are very small. there's a few nice qol things from chrome i miss but not worth dealing with a google product. would recommend everyone abandon Chrome/gmail/etc ASAP

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Do No Evil

lmfao remember that??

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
for the past 6 years all of the cloud based ERP/TMS/ etc systems I’ve used require chrome . from a lay person point of view I don’t know how chrome/chromium can be challenged in the workplace.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Even Opera is based on Chromium lmao

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

not sure if desktop browsers matter in this day and age
mobile browsers are controlled by apple and google

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

sonatinas posted:

for the past 6 years all of the cloud based ERP/TMS/ etc systems I’ve used require chrome . from a lay person point of view I don’t know how chrome/chromium can be challenged in the workplace.

the same way internet explorer was

time, effort, and a company repeatedly shooting themselves in the foot as hard and as fast as possible

shrike82 posted:

not sure if desktop browsers matter in this day and age
mobile browsers are controlled by apple and google

Firefox Android exists and is good!

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

does Brave still make your computer mine some shitcoin like it used to? I’d rather give google all my data than mine a loving cryptocurrency with my browser

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Maed posted:

does Brave still make your computer mine some shitcoin like it used to? I’d rather give google all my data than mine a loving cryptocurrency with my browser

Yes. Which is probably why all the blue checks replying to those Firefox tweets are recommending it.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Just this morning some guy in a giant truck parked next to me at Lowes and couldn’t get out of his truck because it was too close to my car. He sat there for two or three minutes waiting for me to pull out, then he drove off to find another spot rather than shuffle over a bit. Lol

I went to Walmart today and parked my 99 Camry in a spot and got momentarily confused because I had like 4 feet extra spaceto one side. I thought a moment I had pulled in incorrectly then realized my car (not even a small one!) was just way smaller than parking sized for modern ultrabig vehicles.

Sadly their crumple zones will keep them super safe in accidents and I will simply get crushed

Willa Rogers posted:

:smug: netscape or gtfo

The first web browser I ever used was NCSA mosaic at the Illinois State Fair as a tween, and it was probably Marc andresseen himself showing it to me. We talked about how it was similar to gopher protocol

trevorreznik has issued a correction as of 02:24 on Jul 10, 2023

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

vivaldi is the best browser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

wash bucket posted:

Yes. Which is probably why all the blue checks replying to those Firefox tweets are recommending it.

even the OP of the Firefox tweet itself is pushing for Brave!

https://twitter.com/ghost_motley/status/1678075072794497025