Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

is pepsi ok posted:

vivaldi is the best browser

Sounds Italian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

trevorreznik posted:

I went to Walmart today and parked my 99 Camry in a spot and got momentarily confused because I had like 4 feet extra spaceto one side. I thought a moment I had pulled in incorrectly then realized my car (not even a small one!) was just way smaller than parking sized for modern ultrabig vehicles.

I live in a conservative area where probably at least half the vehicles you see on the road are needlessly large trucks or suvs for personal travel and I still can't really get my work 250 into a normal parking space if I say wanna grab groceries or something on my way home. Width is fine in theory as long as you hit center of spot you won't be disturbing people parked on either side but if the aisles are narrow it can be real hard getting an angle to park between two existing cars. Length is the main problem though, this beast is a boat and is gonna stick out on one side or the other no matter how well I park it. Costco is about the only exception I've found but in general If I'm running errands after work I just park on the far side of a parking lot where I can pull through an empty space to get centered easily and leave the bed sticking a bit into the space I pulled through.

It's not a nice experience though and even though I get free gas and no one would really care if I ran errands in my work truck on the weekend I prefer driving my altima cause it makes you not have to think about that poo poo at all. I find it kind of bizarre people enjoy driving around these tanks in a general sense, the only convenience I feel like they really give is being able to see over other large vehicles in traffic but that's just a dumb arms race.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

PoundSand posted:

It's not a nice experience though and even though I get free gas and no one would really care if I ran errands in my work truck on the weekend I prefer driving my altima cause it makes you not have to think about that poo poo at all. I find it kind of bizarre people enjoy driving around these tanks in a general sense, the only convenience I feel like they really give is being able to see over other large vehicles in traffic but that's just a dumb arms race.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

No recovery, no recovery. You're the recovery.

https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1678215277807321088

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
my favorite browser is discord

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Third World Reagan posted:

my favorite browser is discord

Didn't know you were a mod

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

That is deflation.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Which won't be passed on of course.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Wow, Brave is sooo good! I downloaded it to try it out.
Started it up:

It blocked two ads before I even went to any website!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
just install firefox OP

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Xaris posted:

just install firefox OP

I hear that Firefox is woke now.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

wash bucket posted:

I hear that Firefox is woke now.

the dang world wide web went woke!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

more like world woke web

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

yup, it's Woke

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

the PFC Theory of All Discourse is Astroturfed

been sayin it

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
lol brave offers a tor mode and crypto wallet poo poo

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
i remember someone saying brave is the browser made by a chud so of course its c-spams browser of choice

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

what about iceweasel

er, icecat

Backcountry
Jan 16, 2009

is pepsi ok posted:

vivaldi is the best browser

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Wolfers sez: Tech layoffs didn't even happen, idiots!

https://twitter.com/JustinWolfers/status/1677319716438695936

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
i don't want to hand it to wolfers, but a lot of the "tech layoff" thing was just companies subbing out their most expensive employees for ones doing the same job for 1/2 to 1/4 the price.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

have tech companies even hit pre-COVID headcounts?
my impression is that we're talking about 50-100% headcount increase 2020-2022 and maybe a 10-20% drawback

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mola Yam posted:

i don't want to hand it to wolfers, but a lot of the "tech layoff" thing was just companies subbing out their most expensive employees for ones doing the same job for 1/2 to 1/4 the price.

that's why Wolfers was able to pull up that chart he uses to back up his claim: it makes no reference to the "quality" of the job being represented

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

i am harry posted:

this paragraph seems very anecdotal and that’s being polite but I’d love for it to be true because that would point to an engineering spirit amongst the poor to use the systems for good and a greater success rate than my anecdotal experiences

There was a lawyer in Eastern Kentucky that was basically bribing admin judges for SSDI hearings to get people on disability, all for a mere 25% cut of their SSDI earnings. Eventually he got caught and everyone he'd been representing had to re-apply for SSDI. Looks like the lawyer was sentenced to 27 years in jail although 15 of that was for fleeing the country before sentencing.

sullat has issued a correction as of 04:19 on Jul 10, 2023

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

sullat posted:

There was a lawyer in Eastern Kentucky that was basically bribing admin judges for SSDI hearings to get people on disability, all for a mere 25% cut of their SSDI earnings. Eventually he got caught and everyone he'd been representing had to re-apply for SSDI. Looks like the lawyer was sentenced to 27 years in jail although 15 of that was for fleeing the country before sentencing.

There was an American Greed episode about Eric Conn, even - pretty entertaining one although it pointing out that the overwhelming majority of the people he filed for legit should have gotten SSDI and that he was expediting the pain-in-the-rear end process by his bribery (since the administrative judges were approving it whereas in 99% of the jurisdictions they deny it and force appeals).

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

shrike82 posted:

my impression is that we're talking about 50-100% headcount increase 2020-2022 and maybe a 10-20% drawback

shrike is right. the 2020-onward hiring bonanza was genuinely insane

anyways i don't think there's been a lot of evidence that workers were getting replaced with cheaper. the layoffs are over because we're now in a p e r m a b u l l market with the latest hot web 3.0 nft crypto AI gold rush and 10 tech companies making up the whole SP500 in a jenga tower.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

It's still kinda loving me up that the S&P 500 transformed into a tech mutual fund. I really need to be paying more attention.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
higher end workers being laid off is the narrative in the valley and I also have support for that at my (valley) company; bizarrely it went top down first (c suite, aging expensive ultra-senior coders) before it ever became about trimming mid level fat.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Vox Nihili posted:

Wolfers sez: Tech layoffs didn't even happen, idiots!

https://twitter.com/JustinWolfers/status/1677319716438695936

I (very reluctantly) agree with the idiot.

My exposure is not to any of the big tech hubs or the really big tech companies, but my experience over the last year is just seeing a lot hiring. Like, a lot of it. Developers, IT, DevOps, everything.

I'm not looking for a job and I'm a contractor so my experience is a little different, but basically everyone I work for wants to hire me permanently and all I hear is that no one can find enough people. The tech layoff narrative feels extremely manufactured and strange.

Paradoxish has issued a correction as of 04:46 on Jul 10, 2023

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

yeah and tech is so big these days, there are entire niches that were untouched last year

my team recently hired a fresh grad from my alma mater and I was asking him what expectations are these days for fresh CS graduates from the program and he said 130K base

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

shrike82 posted:

yeah and tech is so big these days, there are entire niches that were untouched last year

my team recently hired a fresh grad from my alma mater and I was asking him what expectations are these days for fresh CS graduates from the program and he said 130K base

Lol, maybe in the Bay Area but that’s pretty absurd anywhere else. That’s about what I can get a sr. for in most markets.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Firefox for Android let's you install ad blockers so it's cool.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/theintercept/status/1677448738225156097?t=7G6qRYNH2xmqxkYQ6IqnDQ&s=19

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Paradoxish posted:

I (very reluctantly) agree with the idiot.

My exposure is not to any of the big tech hubs or the really big tech companies, but my experience over the last year is just seeing a lot hiring. Like, a lot of it. Developers, IT, DevOps, everything.

I'm not looking for a job and I'm a contractor so my experience is a little different, but basically everyone I work for wants to hire me permanently and all I hear is that no one can find enough people. The tech layoff narrative feels extremely manufactured and strange.

devops (actual dedicated devops and lumping the work on regular devs who don't care about it) and sales engineering positions are fine. senior and staff level engineering roles are dependent on various factors (tech stack, product market) so they may be semi fine, but wages are going to be reduced because companies have the upper hand.

product and marketing anything is absolutely not fine and junior roles of any kind straight up do not exist. the problem that lies therein is that there are a hell of a lot of those people. recruiters are hosed too, but they're also the most useless human beings on earth so i don't feel bad for them.

hiring processes are also at an all time low in general and companies have zero respect for anyone's time

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

shrike82 posted:

every previous two years in that chart has a 50-100% headcount increase

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pf. Hikikomoriarty posted:

every previous two years in that chart has a 50-100% headcount increase

unbelievably Malthusian outlook, I hope you get permabanned for this disgusting observation

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

triple sulk posted:

companies have zero respect for anyone's time

Well that one never changes

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Vox Nihili posted:

Well that one never changes

got me there. interviewing or even just trying to get interviewed is worse than ever though

read recruitinghell if you want to be sad

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

bidenomics ftw!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Huh, who could've ever predicted that the government would use its patriot-act powers in bad ways? Especially since I've been told that it's good to have the fbi monitor & censor social media.

quote:

The FBI has maintained that its “intent is not to ‘scrape’ or otherwise monitor individual social media activity,” instead insisting that it “seeks to identify an immediate alerting capability to better enable the FBI to quickly respond to ongoing national security and public safety-related incidents.”

A May report by The Intercept also revealed that the U.S. Marshals Service’s contract with Dataminr had the company relaying not only information about peaceful abortion rights protests, but also web content that had no apparent law enforcement relevance whatsoever, including criticism of the Met Gala and jokes about Donald Trump’s weight.