Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

rickiep00h posted:

If this isn't the end of the Twins season I'll be surprised.

Like, yes, the Orioles are Good this year. But we've been getting fuckin shelled lately, and our bats *still* haven't woken up.

Unless there's some kind of ASB renaissance, we're gonna get shown up by the Guards AGAIN.

It's extremely weird that the best two Orioles teams I've ever seen since 97 have pitching staffs (staves?) entirely comprised of "some dudes"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

sharknado slashfic posted:

It's extremely weird that the best two Orioles teams I've ever seen since 97 have pitching staffs (staves?) entirely comprised of "some dudes"

I'm trying to think of who the 2012 Orioles had in their rotation. Arrieta and Hammel were still in Baltimore, I'm pretty sure ... Chris Tillman? Wei-Yin Chen?

Man, that was a fun team to watch.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bradish is low key really impressive this year and I feel like he goes completely under the radar.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1678164616403116037

PHEW! They found the guy who's fault it is!!!

All it took was the Chicago Cubs taking a series in NY.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

How much IL time has that lineup had, on top of the Yankees' top prospects like Volpe, Oswaldo Cabrera, and Oswald Peraza not doing anything at the plate? I'm not a Yankee fan but that would piss me off if I were that coach.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The MLB Draft just started and we now know the #1 pick

https://twitter.com/JonathanMayo/status/1678179810533597186?s=20

I believe Keith Law said as much earlier this week that this was what would happen

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

How much IL time has that lineup had, on top of the Yankees' top prospects like Volpe, Oswaldo Cabrera, and Oswald Peraza not doing anything at the plate? I'm not a Yankee fan but that would piss me off if I were that coach.

Someone’s gotta take the blame and it sure isn’t Cashman or Boone

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

RCarr posted:

Someone’s gotta take the blame and it sure isn’t Cashman or Boone
They are both very good at avoiding blame. Cashman in particular since he is the one with actual power.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

FlamingLiberal posted:

They are both very good at avoiding blame. Cashman in particular since he is the one with actual power.

Yep, but also,
https://twitter.com/RiverAveBlues/status/1678169469569445889?s=20

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

FlamingLiberal posted:

Peraza has been in AAA pretty much all year despite raking there while Donaldson does nothing/hurts himself making outs.

Hitting coaches are always the first ones on the block and also probably the least actually impactful but let's see who they bring in to replace Lawson (who was the hitting coordinator for the entire minor league system when all of the top prospects had offensive explosions!)

That dude thinking Hal "I don't understand why the fans are upset" Steinbrenner issued an ultimatum is incredible brain work on display.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Inspector_666 posted:

Hitting coaches are always the first ones on the block and also probably the least actually impactful but let's see who they bring in to replace Lawson (who was the hitting coordinator for the entire minor league system when all of the top prospects had offensive explosions!)

Might as well make Austin Wells the hitting coach, though, if he was able to point to something wrong with Volpe's swing that Lawson could not. Alternatively, just make a plate of Chicken Parm the hitting coach, it'll probably have similar results.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

FlamingLiberal posted:

I believe Keith Law said as much earlier this week that this was what would happen

I would bitch that the Tigers took a HS outfielder with Langford still on the board, but Riley Greene is working out much better than Torkelson so far, so who knows.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ozymandius1024 posted:

I would bitch that the Tigers took a HS outfielder with Langford still on the board, but Riley Greene is working out much better than Torkelson so far, so who knows.
I guess the idea is that Clark has a higher ceiling and they can just spend any savings on later picks.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I guess the idea is that Clark has a higher ceiling and they can just spend any savings on later picks.
We'll see but Clark's reportedly very, very interested in going 1:1 and may actually require an overslot to keep him from going to school and trying again while he hauls in sponsor money

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Paracaidas posted:

We'll see but Clark's reportedly very, very interested in going 1:1 and may actually require an overslot to keep him from going to school and trying again while he hauls in sponsor money
From what I understand a lot of this is discussed before the draft so I would imagine that if they felt like he was going to ask for overslot they would have just taken Langford

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
not draft thread

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

elentar posted:

the Rockies feeding yet another pitcher into the mile high maw
Yeah I'm very surprised to see that

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Pungry posted:

Mariners end the stretch before the all star break taking 7 of 10 from the Rays, Astros, and Giants and are back over .500. It's a good sign from the team, I am a bit worried it's a little late considering how many teams they have to step over to take a wild card spot. Pitching has been back to being excellent and the offense has been okay enough, including a huge 7 run comeback versus the Rays in this stretch.

We should grab Ohtani for the rest of the season

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I love the Shaw pick

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Timby posted:

I'm trying to think of who the 2012 Orioles had in their rotation. Arrieta and Hammel were still in Baltimore, I'm pretty sure ... Chris Tillman? Wei-Yin Chen?

Man, that was a fun team to watch.

Yeah bad Arrieta, Hammel, Tillman, Chen, Miguel Gonzalez, Joe Saunders, and Randy Wolf.

Also Chris Davis in what is my second favorite game of all time :v:

Kilometers Davis posted:

Bradish is low key really impressive this year and I feel like he goes completely under the radar.

We were all excited for Bradish after his second half last season, unfortunately he was shaky early this season but he's got a lot of potential and been better recently. If Grayson Rodriguez could come up and actually be good it would be nice but I can't complain about much right now.

sharknado slashfic fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 10, 2023

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I love the Shaw pick

"Love" is a strong word but given the Cubs draft position and what was on the board, I think it's a solid pick. Shaw's bat should play in the majors and he's got surprising power to all fields, and plus speed on top. Even if there's no room for improvement on the arm he should be a solid 2B/OF.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Yeah they likely aren't willing to completely change how they do things which is what is needed at this point.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

FlamingLiberal posted:

Looking forward to Chicago Cub Shohei Ohtani hitting a devastating home run off him in the 2027 NL Wildcard game

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I would say he's overdue to be replaced given the lack of offensive production out of everyone nor named Judge for the last two and a half years or so but ultimately it may be meaningless. The roster is still full of holes

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah bad Arrieta, Hammel, Tillman, Chen, Miguel Gonzalez, Joe Saunders, and Randy Wolf.

Also Chris Davis in what is my second favorite game of all time :v:

I moved to Baltimore in October 2012 (actually literally the day Sandy hit). During my year there, I loved watching Crush Davis and Nelson CRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUZ absolutely murder baseballs. And there was Manny, and JJ Hardy, and Adam Jones, and Valencia, and Wieters ... they were just so much fun to watch, even though Dan Duquette was already beginning to destroy the team that Andy MacPhail built.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Blue Jays being 50-41 at the break feels like over and under achieving at the same time

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Rossy has been super salty lately and it is very funny. Someone on this putrid team has to show a little fire.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
How is everyone feeling about their squadron at the break

I am impressed by Atlanta's clearly sustainable offensive numbers and glad they have managed to win so many games even without one of their best pitchers available for a large chunk of time, but hopefully Jesse Chavez returns soon.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Spencer Strider is a very good baseball man and I hope he strikes out like fifty dudes next game. Also the Braves rule and are probably the best team I've ever seen play for Atlanta, I greatly look forward to being destroyed 3-1 in the NLDS by the Diamondbacks.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

LobsterMobster posted:

I am impressed by Atlanta's clearly sustainable offensive numbers and glad they have managed to win so many games even without one of their best pitchers available for a large chunk of time, but hopefully Jesse Chavez returns soon.

The Astros limp along but despite all the incredibly annoying poo poo going on this season w/r/t injuries and our owner being (surprise) a lovely GM, we're only 2 games back of the division, so, it could have been a lot worse.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

DeepDickPizza posted:

Rossy has been super salty lately and it is very funny. Someone on this putrid team has to show a little fire.

ross's seat is starting to get a little hot now that the ricketts family actually spent a little bit of money and they still suck.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

LobsterMobster posted:

the cubs are bad, thanks for asking

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
sure glad I'm not a lifelong Athletics fan and only have to be dissapointed by The Cubs

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
My children will be BACK, you'll all see

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

fast cars loose anus posted:

The Astros limp along but despite all the incredibly annoying poo poo going on this season w/r/t injuries and our owner being (surprise) a lovely GM, we're only 2 games back of the division, so, it could have been a lot worse.

The Stros are in prime position to be "the team no one wants to face" when the playoffs start despite not having the best record (although with the Rangers and Rays slipping that's not quite as absurd as it sounded a month ago). Hopefully Altuve and Yordan's obliques will remain unstrained for the rest of the season. They will need to address starting pitching somehow because 4/5 pitchers giving up early leads and forcing extra innings on the pen is not a recipe for success. Javier's issues being a mechanical thing that can be corrected over the ASB would be a large boost on its own.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

the cubs are bad, thanks for asking

They're not as bad as their record, so I'm predicting a better second half than the first

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

R.D. Mangles posted:

ross's seat is starting to get a little hot now that the ricketts family actually spent a little bit of money and they still suck.

Yeah, Ross only has another year left on his contract (with a club option for 2025; I don't recall seeing any details on what, if any, buyout there is), and I imagine he's feeling pressure from the front office to start showing results. His insane lineup management isn't doing him any favors, though. If the team doesn't sell and then the Cubs faceplant in the second half, then he's going to have a very awkward season-ending exit interview with Jed Hoyer.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
My favorite part about overreacting to the draft is seeing scouting reports on a dude that all say completely opposite things about their strengths and weaknesses.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

They're not as bad as their record, so I'm predicting a better second half than the first

Only the case if the don't sell, and that's not a given. I feel like the FO is going to have a really hard time justifying holding on to guys like Stroman or Bellinger who will absolutely bring back quality trade returns when they're seven games back of the division and the Reds appear to have no interest in slowing down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Shinjobi posted:

The Rangers are reverting into dookie