Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

my guess is the census definition of urban does not match the common use of the term

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

now listen if you live in a suburb 20 minutes outside of seattle that means you’re a rural american

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Rectal Death Adept posted:

They need to adopt the greatest education system in the world where you borrow 10 times that for worse outcomes

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

euphronius posted:

my guess is the census definition of urban does not match the common use of the term

yeah just like the bayou fishing village I grew up in called itself a "city."

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I grew up in an actual rural area(a notable event at my high school was a kid crashing the school tractor into the school manure pile), and no one drove this horseshit.

Tiny brains, tiny dicks, fragile egos, and lovely marketing explains 100% of lifted truck purchases.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

euphronius posted:

there's a similar consistency issue with the definition of "work" regarding truck use

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
every time bike chat comes up some moron in the replies will say "well you can't move a couch with a bike can you?"

well gently caress you buddy the pickups these days can't fit a couch either

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

UMAD '69 cum laude

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My grandpa was a carpenter and he had a big ol ancient tractor that it wouldn't shock me to learn he'd built out of random junk laying around and a big van (that may have been built out of the parts he didn't use for the tractor). I can only imagine what his reaction to modern trucks would be.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

My guess is that a lot of people are delusional about their lifestyles and where they live

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My guess is that a lot of people are delusional about their lifestyles and where they live
It's this. My dad has been one of those fuckin' weirdos that has owned an F-150 or a Silverado for as long as I can remember despite being a pediatric dentist and living in a seven figure house in the burbs.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

I have a lawn. That makes me an self-sufficient yeoman dependent on no one.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Abner Assington posted:

It's this. My dad has been one of those fuckin' weirdos that has owned an F-150 or a Silverado for as long as I can remember despite being a pediatric dentist and living in a seven figure house in the burbs.

He probably bought lumber one time so

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

mine lawn is not thine own, I am euphoric

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

so what you're all saying is that xeriscaping is praxis

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

if you live in a place that needs to water lawns, yes

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Chad Sexington posted:

https://twitter.com/cbfplr/status/1385081742290300932

I used to pull a trailer for work and it amuses me that I used the truck bed and hitch more in a day than some people use theirs in a year. Just spending $50000 for the privilege of sitting really high and getting terrible mileage.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Abner Assington posted:

At this point F150s are just for the market segment that thinks it would be gay to drive a BMW.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Anecdotally around here, the car lots are almost completely loving barren. They've all resorted to shifting what stock they do have to the front of their lot to try and mask the fact that the rest of their concrete lot is empty. Because I live in East Rural Cardependent Fuckton, I need to buy a new car and there's basically nothing available. I may need to go to a major city several hours' drive away just to find something.

Yeah, they are completely empty around here too. When I bought in 2020 the lots were way more full and even then what I had to do was do some test drives to figure out what car I wanted and then do a build on the company website of what options/color/trim I was going with and then wait 3 months for the dealer to find one that matched. At least they gave me a loaner in the meantime. I imagine that it's worse now with longer lead times or just straight up the dealer not being able to think they'll ever find that car and not being willing to do a deal on anything they don't already have.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

WrasslorMonkey posted:

Alls I know is the flash-like game I still play runs better in Chrome and Opera. This computer is like 8 years old though.

S'up Opera Buddy. I assume we're the only two users left in the world.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Abner Assington posted:

Peepaw had a “farm” (as a hobby that he financed by selling insurance) so driving a big lifted truck reminds me of muh roots.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

many people are contradicting me by agreeing with me. This is the way of the internet.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
But if I don't drive a truck everywhere constantly then the one or maybe two times a year I actually need it I'll need to rent it from Menards!!!!

I've never understood the appeal beyond a facile read of "oh no I'm real worried about my dick size/that I'm maybe gay or something"

They feel like poo poo to drive, suck to park, guzzle fuel, and are harder to actually load than ever since the beds are really high now to make you feel like a real man or whatever

Unfortunately there's a perverse incentive for manufacturers to make and sell as many of them as possible due to the fact that they can option a loving f150 up to 150k now or something and the margins are crazy on a package like that. Of course this wouldn't mean anything if there wasn't a bunch of dipshits lining up to buy one to cart themselves around so chicken or egg I dunno

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Greatbacon posted:

At this point F150s are just for the market segment that thinks it would be gay to drive a BMW.

I only know one person who owns a truck and I've carried more 2x4s and sheets of drywall in an old 3-series than he has in like ten years of F150 ownership (many vs. zero)

also that car used to go offroad every day because my driveway is a piece of poo poo :cool:

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Thoguh posted:

S'up Opera Buddy. I assume we're the only two users left in the world.

And it doesn't have profiles so I actually use Opera, Opera Developer and Opera Beta, depending on the need. I also use Firefox and Chrome, though. I might have ditched Firefox because of the slowness in my game, but weirdly I found out the colors render differently in every browser, and I don't want to update the bot that plays my game when I'm AFK.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Chad Sexington posted:

I miss my Chevy Sonic I could fit 12ft of pvc pipe in that bad boy with just a half foot of it sticking out the front passenger window

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
My dick is small enough I want a truck but I want one of those great 1990s nissan/toyota/ford pickups that look like toys in comparison to the 2020 mobile apartments on wheels.

A new one of those small older trucks would be great. I just don't want to have to contact a wizard to get ancient tomes at autozone to identify 30 year old unique parts that break or go digging through scrapyards for parts for the lost truck technology of balanced form and function.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Rectal Death Adept posted:

My dick is small enough I want a truck but I want one of those great 1990s nissan/toyota/ford pickups that look like toys in comparison to the 2020 mobile apartments on wheels.

A new one of those small older trucks would be great. I just don't want to have to contact a wizard to get ancient tomes at autozone to identify 30 year old unique parts that break or go digging through scrapyards for parts for the lost truck technology of balanced form and function.

Ford makes one of those again now. the Maverick. It's insanely popular and you have to wait like a year to get one unless you're willing to pay thousands over MSRP.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Thoguh posted:

Ford makes one of those again now. the Maverick. It's insanely popular and you have to wait like a year to get one unless you're willing to pay thousands over MSRP.

Naw, the maverick is all cab, really fuel efficient, tiny bed, actually comfortable inside.

Those 80s or 90s compact trucks had horrible jump seats if they had more than a single bench at all, sucked down tons of gas, and had pretty long beds.

The Maverick is the truck built for America because the base model gets 42MPG city and it's built assuming that the owner will be regularly driving around 4 people.

Apr 7, 2003

Monkey Fracas posted:

But if I don't drive a truck everywhere constantly then the one or maybe two times a year I actually need it I'll need to rent it from Menards!!!!

I've never understood the appeal beyond a facile read of "oh no I'm real worried about my dick size/that I'm maybe gay or something"

They feel like poo poo to drive, suck to park, guzzle fuel, and are harder to actually load than ever since the beds are really high now to make you feel like a real man or whatever

The auto industry has one of the most advanced propaganda machines on the planet and 140 years of practice using it.

When it was pretty clear that big cars were on the way out and they couldn’t compete with the euros or Japanese manufacturers on small cars (remember the Chevy Citation?), they went whole hog on the (tariff protected) pickup truck as a family vehicle.

Apr 7, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Naw, the maverick is all cab, really fuel efficient, tiny bed, actually comfortable inside.

Those 80s or 90s compact trucks had horrible jump seats if they had more than a single bench at all, sucked down tons of gas, and had pretty long beds.

The Maverick is the truck built for America because the base model gets 42MPG city and it's built assuming that the owner will be regularly driving around 4 people.

The Maverick is a rebodied Ford Escape. If that gets people into what’s essentially a modern car instead of a ladder frame death truck I’m all for it.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Thoguh posted:

isn't there a more american solution like challenging a truckholder to a gun duel?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

The Maverick is a rebodied Ford Escape. If that gets people into what’s essentially a modern car instead of a ladder frame death truck I’m all for it.

Why is a Maverick Hybrid $23k but an Escape hybrid is $34k?

Apr 7, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Ask Ford. They’re both the C2 platform underneath. So is the Bronco Sport and the newest international Focus.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Twerk from Home posted:

There are a million reasons why this could be the case, but two vehicles sharing the same platform doesn't mean they're going to be in the same ballpark pricewise.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

as mentioned you can’t actually get a maverick for 23k

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Rochallor posted:

I used to pull a trailer for work and it amuses me that I used the truck bed and hitch more in a day than some people use theirs in a year. Just spending $50000 for the privilege of sitting really high and getting terrible mileage.

don't forget the peace of mind of not having to worry if your neighbors all think you're gay because you drive a sedan.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

There are a million reasons why this could be the case, but two vehicles sharing the same platform doesn't mean they're going to be in the same ballpark pricewise.

Sure, but the Maverick is larger, heavier and seems to have more "stuff". It gets even more confusing when you look at the non-hybrid engines because the Maverick gets the bigger, more expensive 2.0T that's otherwise in more premium vehicles, while the Escape gets the little global 3-cylinder.

Edit: I realize every engine is global now, but the 3 cylinder is absolutely for cost cutting.

Twerk from Home has issued a correction as of 15:42 on Jul 10, 2023

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

skybolt_1 posted:

I don't get this "slow launch time" as a talking point. Like I launch my browser once a week maybe, and on a machine that is about 4 years old it takes like a second and a half. It's not a metric I could see anyone caring about.

It's funny because chrome hasn't been fast for ages, those people talk about chrome like it's 2011.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002