Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think de Vries might be saved by how poo poo the AT is this year, maybe all the Red Bull concepts that didn't work got allocated to their balance sheet. Nobody sounded happy on the end of race team radio though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Do people think either of the Alfa Romeo drivers are going to be punished for driving the worst car on the grid or is this season just a wash?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Thanks Ants posted:

I think de Vries might be saved by how poo poo the AT is this year, maybe all the Red Bull concepts that didn't work got allocated to their balance sheet. Nobody sounded happy on the end of race team radio though.

chaos option: yuki gets the boot to have lawson take his seat

Bip Roberts posted:

Do people think either of the Alfa Romeo drivers are going to be punished for driving the worst car on the grid or is this season just a wash?

no reason to boot either, but i think zhou is going to get bounced around a bit and either wind up at a different team or as a reserve driver

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Phone posted:

DeVries is the one who is getting booted if that happens.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Again, some good racing behind Verstappen and McLaren has been a surprise. Let's see how it develops.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Frond posted:

DeVries is the one who is getting booted if that happens.

just pointing out that tsunoda's contract ends this year

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Bip Roberts posted:

I imagine it will be like 2021 Haas and they'll just roll forward with the same drivers

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels and Quid you might find this interesting - one of the guys who actually worked on this Middlebridge/Trussardi Benetton B186 said that it was a go until Jackie Oliver protested - evidently he was the one that blocked from running from Monza-Onwards in 1987 (Pirro would drive most rounds, Aguri Suzuki was to drive it in Suzuka.) Weird becuase I didn't think he had that much influence. Arrows wasn't even running official BMW engines - the upright units were badged as Megatrons.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

tony quidtana posted:

buddy khblam is the only one with a microsoft access database of my posts and everyone hates him because he likes max, nobody else cares to track that poo poo. the system works.

Yeah Alonso is not good at development at all. He's like Hamilton in that regard.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
If it was me in charge at Sauber ramping up to the Audi transition I'd really want to keep my hands free to make a play for any of the prestige drivers should they randomly come on the market so I'd be inclined to keep Bottas and Joe around rather than offering some solid midfield guy a contract that's then going to potentially prevent me from signing Sharl when he's done getting gaslit.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Frond posted:

Feels and Quid you might find this interesting - one of the guys who actually worked on this Middlebridge/Trussardi Benetton B186 said that it was a go until Jackie Oliver protested - evidently he was the one that blocked from running from Monza-Onwards in 1987 (Pirro would drive most rounds, Aguri Suzuki was to drive it in Suzuka.) Weird becuase I didn't think he had that much influence. Arrows wasn't even running official BMW engines - the upright units were badged as Megatrons.

Is Albon's Silverstone helmet meant to be a homage to that car or is it just a coincidence

https://www.williamsf1.com/posts/bb9137d8-b394-4e55-9607-abed13d3d455/in-photos-alex-albon-helmet-silverstone

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It’s funny that Théo Pourchaire is doing a second F2 season after finishing second last year. I guess maybe he could swap into Alfa Romeo?

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

daslog posted:

Are there betting odds for who the next red bull driver will be? A quick Google didn't turn up much

Guyaniel Incognitiardo

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Average Lettuce posted:

?? He finished ahead of Hamilton last year.

with Mercedes repeatedly screwing him on strategy calls and the car being poo poo which Hamilton is famous for phoning it in whenever that's the case. Stop listening to Stroke addled Brundle dude lmao

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Frond posted:

Yeah Alonso is not good at development at all. He's like Hamilton in that regard.

I would like to say that as an aside my track record on weighing in on things when I actually bother to pay attention has been fairly loving good. I was right that the Mclaren car was poo poo and the Honda engine was probably fine. I was right that the aero wasn't the issue that prevented passing it was the cooling/tires. I think my view that Binotto wasn't the lion's share of Ferrari's problem and its very firmly Jock Clear/the strategy team has been largely vindicated as well.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Phone posted:

no reason to boot either, but i think zhou is going to get bounced around a bit and either wind up at a different team or as a reserve driver

Bottas is clearly going the Kimi-checked-out route, and his salary is apparently still quite high (Can't blame him, get that bag Valt).
Zhou seems like a solid pair of hands, and China is a decent market for Audi. If given the choice ATM I'd let Big Valt retire at the end of his contract.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Frond posted:

I wish there was a book on the late years of the 80s BMW project because there's just a shitload of weird interesting little stories that I'd be interested to hear from an insider what the actual gently caress was going on at BMW at the time.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

tony quidtana posted:

I wish there was a book on the late years of the 80s BMW project because there's just a shitload of weird interesting little stories that I'd be interested to hear from an insider what the actual gently caress was going on at BMW at the time.

Toluene fumes are pretty potent.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Zedd posted:

Bottas is clearly going the Kimi-checked-out route, and his salary is apparently still quite high (Can't blame him, get that bag Valt).
Zhou seems like a solid pair of hands, and China is a decent market for Audi. If given the choice ATM I'd let Big Valt retire at the end of his contract.

Off the track, Bottas does seem useful for sponsors and such as “someone people have heard of” which the rookies can’t do.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
Couldn’t remember if it was Lawson that was caught using “gamer language” on a stream but it was Vips, who he replaced. Vips is now eyeing Indycar, which is very fitting for a edgelord (at best) rich kid.

Speaking of edgelords I think RPM looks too young to be a goon. I know there are younger people here but the SA community is probably over 30 on average.

PhoenixFlaccus fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 10, 2023

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.

tony quidtana posted:

I would like to say that as an aside my track record on weighing in on things when I actually bother to pay attention has been fairly loving good. I was right that the Mclaren car was poo poo and the Honda engine was probably fine. I was right that the aero wasn't the issue that prevented passing it was the cooling/tires. I think my view that Binotto wasn't the lion's share of Ferrari's problem and its very firmly Jock Clear/the strategy team has been largely vindicated as well.
:jerkbag:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Excited for Danny Ric to make his triumphant return.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Residency Evil posted:

Excited for Danny Ric to make his triumphant return.
Going to be extra funny if Yuki has the measure of him.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

tony quidtana posted:

I knew I had something for this somewhere.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Zedd posted:

Going to be extra funny if Yuki has the measure of him.

I think Red Bull/Alpha Tauri would be fine with that, even happy. They just need some kind of point of reference for what the hell is going on at Alpha.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Personal Lucubrant posted:

I knew I had something for this somewhere.

Cry me a loving river lmao

Simplex posted:

I think Red Bull/Alpha Tauri would be fine with that, even happy. They just need some kind of point of reference for what the hell is going on at Alpha.

Ya I think what they really want is just to have an established driver to compare against prospects, except without having to pay the salary of an established driver which is why it's this constantly in flux shitshow

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

tony quidtana posted:

nah, this is already too much effort

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

tony quidtana posted:

Brabham still having to use the lay down version of the BMW engine in 1987 never made any sense to me.

De Cesaris’ record in that car will never be broken and it’s one of the weirdest records ever - 0 flagged finishes, 14 DNFs. And a podium at Spa to boot.

Frond fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 10, 2023

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

tony quidtana posted:

Making extremely obvious calls like "Binotto is not Ferrari's problem", "fire all of the Italians", and "the Honda engine is too unreliable to show how poo poo Eric Boullier is at his job" are not exactly prophetic takes that are lighting the F1 world on fire. Hell I've been banging on about Jock Clear needing the gallows since 2017, to the point where it's not even his fault anymore. Inaki Rueda was the head of strategy at Ferrari until Binotto got the boot, and now it's Ravin Jain.

Stick to your posting wheelhouse: a bunch of gibberish about MotoGP that nobody reads.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Frond posted:

Brabham still having to use the lay down version of the BMW engine in 1987 never made any sense to me.

De Cesaris’ record in that car will never be broken and it’s one of the weirdest records ever - 0 flagged finishes, 14 DNFs. And a podium at Spa to boot.

That always struck me as really bizarre considering Murray is on record as saying he figured out that the engine was the issue by the end of '86. Then on the flip side you have BMW getting mad at Benetton for playing around with the ECU program around the same period. It's very bizarre that BMW seemed to be working against itself at almost every turn

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

MustardFacial posted:

Making extremely obvious calls like "Binotto is not Ferrari's problem", "fire all of the Italians", and "the Honda engine is too unreliable to show how poo poo Eric Boullier is at his job" are not exactly prophetic takes that are lighting the F1 world on fire. Hell I've been banging on about Jock Clear needing the gallows since 2017, to the point where it's not even his fault anymore. Inaki Rueda was the head of strategy at Ferrari until Binotto got the boot, and now it's Ravin Jain.

Stick to your posting wheelhouse: a bunch of gibberish about MotoGP that nobody reads.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

tony quidtana posted:

That's a really weird name for a MotoGP rider. Is he Spanish? I bet he's Spanish. They're all Spanish.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
It wasn’t simply a matter of McLaren saying “our chassis is decent, and we’d be doing better with a different engine” it was McLaren saying “We’d be winning races if not for Honda.”

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

tony quidtana posted:

That always struck me as really bizarre considering Murray is on record as saying he figured out that the engine was the issue by the end of '86. Then on the flip side you have BMW getting mad at Benetton for playing around with the ECU program around the same period. It's very bizarre that BMW seemed to be working against itself at almost every turn

They sold the rights to the normal units to Megatron, that was the official reason they couldn’t use them. Never made a lick of sense to me.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I have at least 50 quid hot-takes saved that are so dramatically wrong that he should be proud he can find a way to make a statement on a mostly static sport that's always finding the foul line.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I do think a lot of what happened at BMW in the 80s played out the way it did because they were tied to Brabham and Murray was just so used to having to work with whatever bullshit Ecclestone scrounged up as resources that he never really pushed them for more. By mid way through 84 they really needed somebody to sit them down and say "look the inline 4 thing was a nice little novelty but the future very clearly is a twin turbo V6 and you need to build that" instead of Murray trying to compromise and ending up with an already on the limit engine turned sideways

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Khablam posted:

I have at least 50 quid hot-takes saved that are so dramatically wrong that he should be proud he can find a way to make a statement on a mostly static sport that's always finding the foul line.

khablam and his wrong takes emporium

Witeldram
Feb 22, 2022

I am a Ricciardo fan but I would be funny if he performs as, or even worse than, De Vries

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Ricciardo isn't getting back in a RBR.
At his experienced peak he was getting outclassed by Max.
He's very very likely to outperform Perez at the moment but he's also got an ego the size of Queensland so he'll either implode himself (again) or run into the back of Max (again) when his one idea of overtaking gets covered off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Khablam posted:

Please post one quid hot-take for every Ferrari strategy gently caress up so we can see them all in the next three races.