Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Related: https://www.axios.com/2023/07/10/unsold-electric-cars-are-piling-up-on-dealer-lots

Expensive EVs are about to get discounted, which is going to be great for the people with charging infrastructure and the means to buy them. Luxury cars and full size trucks have already seen discounts return, so we're heading towards a world where the price gap between the cheapest economy cars and expensive luxury vehicles is the smallest it's ever been.

Kind of like housing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8zOlpPUDCg

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Turtle Sandbox posted:

It's funny because chrome hasn't been fast for ages, those people talk about chrome like it's 2011.

Besides the tracking and ad-blocking, I went back to Firefox because Chrome is bloated as poo poo and would steal all my ram when I had a bunch of tabs open.

is pepsi ok posted:

don't forget the peace of mind of not having to worry if your neighbors all think you're gay because you drive a sedan.

I think I'd prefer my neighbors think I was gay.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Rectal Death Adept posted:

My dick is small enough I want a truck but I want one of those great 1990s nissan/toyota/ford pickups that look like toys in comparison to the 2020 mobile apartments on wheels.

A new one of those small older trucks would be great. I just don't want to have to contact a wizard to get ancient tomes at autozone to identify 30 year old unique parts that break or go digging through scrapyards for parts for the lost truck technology of balanced form and function.

Nissan still makes the Frontier

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

this just tracks with wages

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

this just tracks with wages

aren't single person households more expensive though.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

In Training posted:

yeah which is why it makes sense that they would increase when wages rise, hence the big rise post war, stalling out during reaganomics, then another lil' bump during the past few years (which probably also has a rise in multifamily households since the labor market broke in strange ways)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

In Training posted:

Yes but no one wants to commit to a lifelong commitment when financially unstable.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

yeah I think it’s showing people delaying starting a family

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

In Training posted:

euphronius posted:

yeah I think it’s showing people delaying starting a family

It's this. Medium/long term it's cheaper for me to live alone than to find someone to be my partner and potentially get them pregnant and then have to pay for 18 years of someone who's gonna die in the water wars

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
The one "legit" use of trucks I've seen pop up is truckbed camping, but it's pretty much entirely 90's and 00's long-beds with fiberglass toppers and a lot of woodworking done, sometimes with a small trailer. Demographic: retirees or would-be retirees who can't afford/are too unhip for #vanlife

e; it's inspiring to be homeless but still have to pay for terrible gas mileage

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
you can date, live together, and even marry without wanting to have kids this second.

I think it’s more a representative figure for the lack of community. Less personal connections, less couples.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Car Hater posted:

The one "legit" use of trucks I've seen pop up is truckbed camping, but it's pretty much entirely 90's and 00's long-beds with fiberglass toppers and a lot of woodworking done, sometimes with a small trailer. Demographic: retirees or would-be retirees who can't afford/are too unhip for #vanlife

e; it's inspiring to be homeless but still have to pay for terrible gas mileage

Truck campers are incredibly nice and not cheap. They're a connoisseur's camper option for people who want to get a little further away from giant RV hell while still camping comfy.

Look at this thing: https://www.lancecamper.com/truck-campers/1172/

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

PoundSand posted:

you can date, live together, and even marry without wanting to have kids this second.

I think it’s more a representative figure for the lack of community. Less personal connections, less couples.

Yeah but are you going to marry someone who is themselves financially precarious?

It's cruel and capricious to think that way, I readily recognize, but there's more to the mental calculus than "my income+their income/1 rent". It's "we have twice the chance of both being ruined by one unexpected medical expense" and "what if they lose their job and I have to carry them?" And even "what if I can find someone more well off to carry me out of poverty"

Those issues, when you are stable and secure, feel small, but, when you're on the edge already, they feel like death threats.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Twerk from Home posted:

Truck campers are incredibly nice and not cheap. They're a connoisseur's camper option for people who want to get a little further away from giant RV hell while still camping comfy.

Look at this thing: https://www.lancecamper.com/truck-campers/1172/

oh I've seen those at campgrounds but that is very much not what I meant

more like this, with varying degrees of quality depending on the owner's handiness: https://www.takethetruck.com/blog/truck-bed-camping

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Hopefully Toyota's rumoring about bringing back the Toyota Sout are true. I would love to get a small truck since the most that I do that is truck worthy is filling up the back with camping/biking/hiking/boating equipment.

Even a midsize truck right now is too big for what I do, and the amount of gas expenses for doing something a small hybrid truck could do makes me want to find another option to drive around.

Nice and hot piss has issued a correction as of 17:44 on Jul 10, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the jeep pickup seems like a nice size but of course it’s a jeep and probably not cheap

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I there have been multiple "out of nowhere" divorces in my circle in the last few years. Difficult times and some marriages couldn't hold up to the strain.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

ikanreed posted:

Yeah but are you going to marry someone who is themselves financially precarious?

It's cruel and capricious to think that way, I readily recognize, but there's more to the mental calculus than "my income+their income/1 rent". It's "we have twice the chance of both being ruined by one unexpected medical expense" and "what if they lose their job and I have to carry them?" And even "what if I can find someone more well off to carry me out of poverty"

Those issues, when you are stable and secure, feel small, but, when you're on the edge already, they feel like death threats.

Given that "marrying up" statistically doesn't happen very often, it wouldn't be surprising if people in precarious situations basically end up delaying relationships indefinitely by avoiding partners in similar situations.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

society rn is at the bottom, still trying to figure out food and shelter for everyone

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Why are goons automatically assuming that people living together are in a romantic relationship with each other? Have you guys never had roommates before?

If anything it just tells me that we're becoming more atomized

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lol that says sex is a need

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

But also that trend has been going on for a while and people have been talking about it and researching for a long time. It's probably not one thing and it's probably not purely a reflection of economic conditions. At least some of it is legitimate preference, some of it is it being more acceptable for women to live on their own instead of going from parents to husband, etc.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

NeonPunk posted:

Why are goons automatically assuming that people living together are in a romantic relationship with each other? Have you guys never had roommates before?

Oh yeah I just loving lust to go back to having roomies.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I was including people living with roommates as “living alone” . isn’t that what it means ?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

euphronius posted:

I was including people living with roommates as “living alone” . isn’t that what it means ?

Single person household.

And tbh, it's just simply a smart economical way to save on rent. But I do think it's just difficult to find someone that you can tolerate to live together, so folks are willing to pay hundreds more to live alone

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

NeonPunk posted:

2BRs are a lot harder to find, and the last few roommates I've had were complete disasters and I swore off having roommates permanently.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

NeonPunk posted:

raised by sitcoms

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

NeonPunk posted:

a couple can live in more or less the space as one person comfortable, roommates usually need additional rooms so while it’s cheaper it’s not quite the power of essentially cutting your rent in half.

ikanreed posted:

I can see people thinking about this when considering the next step to marriage/kids but I dunno if your average person would let this stop a relationship from progressing naturally in their 20’s/30’s, it just seems like there’s less of that in general.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

"Single-person household" is ambiguous, but roommates wouldn't usually be considered part of your household for most things. The trend is the same for people literally living with no one else in the same house, though, so it's kind of irrelevant which one that graph is actually showing.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
why would I get married and legally double my debt obligation?!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

PoundSand posted:

I can see people thinking about this when considering the next step to marriage/kids but I dunno if your average person would let this stop a relationship from progressing naturally in their 20’s/30’s, it just seems like there’s less of that in general.

I think you'd be surprised. People in their 20s and early 30s (lmao) are often struggling to maintain their independence while still having a lifestyle that isn't miserable. Becoming financially tied (even if you're not getting married) to someone with a lot of debt or just in a precarious income situation can seem really frightening.

I'm, uh, rapidly aging out of that particular group but 5-10 years ago I certainly knew people who viewed their relationships in this particular light despite not being particularly greedy or selfish in other ways. It can feel like a bad deal for both parties because no one wants to resent or be resented by their partner over financial issues. Dual-income households aren't really optional for most people and I think that fact is usually incredibly apparent by the time you're in your late 20s.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Paradoxish posted:

"Single-person household" is ambiguous, but roommates wouldn't usually be considered part of your household for most things. The trend is the same for people literally living with no one else in the same house, though, so it's kind of irrelevant which one that graph is actually showing.

Wait so you can have like 5 separate individual "household" in a single address?

That's stupid

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Koirhor posted:

why would I get married and legally double my debt obligation?!

You can't get married if nobody wants to be with you.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Get a minivan

You can do everything you can with a pickup but better and cheaper

Unless you need to haul around a boat or something then gently caress you nice cash fire you got there

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Oh man Herman Cain page

RIP pizza man

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Monkey Fracas posted:

Oh man Herman Cain page

RIP pizza man

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Monkey Fracas posted:

Oh man Herman Cain page

RIP pizza man

[pours out some marinara]

[dips breadstick into puddle]

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

Oh man Herman Cain page

RIP pizza man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

How did that deal go again? A 9 topping pizza with 9 garlic rolls for $9?