Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

gbs-related immunodeficiency

lol goddamn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yagami...

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Hey next time the brigade heads out could you guys swing by my place and help me move some stuff? It'll only take a minute

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

however it was marketed to them as safe and i cant blame people for assuming that something that they were told was safe was safe. dudes in dying third world villages probably look at us taking a plane trip the same way we look at rich guys taking a submarine trip so its weird to act like youre morally pure.

A plane trip and a submarine trip are, literally, atmospheres apart

The kid is a victim of his dad but the dad was incredibly dumb

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Why do they need a second thread for something that already happened and is resolved...?

they got a few more jokes they're workshopping and would like feedback affirmation.

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Why do they need a second thread for something that already happened and is resolved...?

Idk it's like when the Doobie thing happened and the og thread was funny+goldmined and then goons kept making new Doobie threads and posted PILED HIGH and PLUM GAVE OUT a million times.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Heath posted:

What is the context of this

stolefald was the first gbs mod to respond to me about that bad post, probed it, then aard varkman replied and hit it with the ban. peggy edson and tarquinn also sent really nice, quick pms but had been beaten to the punch

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

yeah, judgement has been going some weird places. ngl, i cannot wait for the new ichiban and kiryu stuff, but gently caress, please make one side quest in each getting to pick on yagami.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Grab Im Moor posted:

Idk it's like when the Doobie thing happened and the og thread was funny+goldmined and then goons kept making new Doobie threads and posted PILED HIGH and PLUM GAVE OUT a million times.

And if you tried to make them shut up about it you'd wake up to some american cheese toadstools and the same memes regurgitated in a dew-covered thread

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

A plane trip and a submarine trip are, literally, atmospheres apart

The kid is a victim of his dad but the dad was incredibly dumb
i dont mean physically i just mean in terms of cost/possibility for the person

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

when I reregged I went to check out GBS and one of the first threads was about a like 20 year old kid either drowning or getting mauled by a shark and the thread was full of people analyzing the video and wave patterns to discuss how this kid died

yeah that thread is hosed up

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Grab Im Moor posted:

I don't think I ever understood the logic behind the Doobie's Dog House thing. Was the timeline like:

-Bad kickstarter mock thread found a kickstarter for some doofus in Alabama who wanted to sell hot dogs
-People laugh at it
-Some mania seizes a portion of people who gas themselves up on this actually being "epic" and everyone gets talked into funding the guy
-Doofus is a doofus with his little hot dog stand, eventually runs out of money and shop closes?

Was the humor just in how the guy squandered all that money he was given?

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

when I reregged I went to check out GBS and one of the first threads was about a like 20 year old kid either drowning or getting mauled by a shark and the thread was full of people analyzing the video and wave patterns to discuss how this kid died

It's the Everest thread in fast forward, and it sucks even more.

womb with a view posted:

Hey next time the brigade heads out could you guys swing by my place and help me move some stuff? It'll only take a minute

Requesting brigade alerts to know when it is time to post

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

I don't think I ever understood the logic behind the Doobie's Dog House thing. Was the timeline like:

-Bad kickstarter mock thread found a kickstarter for some doofus in Alabama who wanted to sell hot dogs
-People laugh at it
-Some mania seizes a portion of people who gas themselves up on this actually being "epic" and everyone gets talked into funding the guy
-Doofus is a doofus with his little hot dog stand, eventually runs out of money and shop closes?

Was the humor just in how the guy squandered all that money he was given?

gbs superstar noni made a post like he was Don Draper and a ton of goons went all misty eyed and swore they would make this alabama man's dream come true.

later someone freely admits to donating $2k and having cancelled Christmas for his family with their approval to make the donation.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

pentyne posted:

later someone freely admits to donating $2k and having cancelled Christmas for his family with their approval to make the donation.

That's sad but also lmao

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So I was following the og thread for updates and it got goldmined like directly after the sub was confirmed as destroyed, but there wasn’t any real news about what happened yet, but they wanted to goldmine it asap and then another thread was made and people didn’t really post updates on it and the thread got lovely really fast. It made sense initially why the second thread was opened, but it basically became aimless bloodlust posting.

Edit: I don’t thin it’s fair to say it’s all aimless bloodlust posting, but there’s some of that and the thread did become sort of aimless because there’s just not been many updates and it seemed like there would be at the time.

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 10, 2023

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
my several paragraphs about why i didn't technically cancel christmas is getting me a lot of questions about why i didn't technically cancel christmas

DragonReach Ghost posted:

My son and wife agreed to forgo their xmas gifts for this, they thought it was worth more to do something for someone than to get something.

DragonReach Ghost posted:

As far as I recall, I am the only one who brought up Christmas stuff. Apparently some people just can not understand that people might actually prefer to give something to someone, or try to provide the means to a better life rather than get a new big screen TV, or the latest game console, whatever material item is your fancy.

I did not deprive my family of anything for Christmas, I make a good living and we made a CHOICE. We will still have a nice Christmas, even if it is just us sitting around building Lego sets. We don't tend to get wrapped up in the whole gift giving crap.

And I don't have little kids, my son is almost 20, he is quite capable of understanding and making the choice of donating what I would have spent on him to someone else.

Most of this response is not directed at Undead Unicorn, I'm just tired of the BS.

Part of the reason I gave as much to Wayne as I did, is because I grew up in Alabama, I lived about 20 minutes from Reform for while. I have lived in the big cities of Alabama and also some of the smallest. Little places like what his hot dog stand might become are important to those small towns. I've also been through a few tornadoes and know what it takes to rebuild from having a home and community blown away in the wind. At this point in time his hot dog dream only affects one family, if he can fulfill even half of the realistic things that have been brought up at one time or another in this thread it can be a lot more. High school kids might have a place to work and a chance to build up to something else, or it could be a hangout on Friday and Saturday nights. Or maybe, in a year or so the whole place will fold, but at least he tried to do something, and my egotistical, self congratulatory voice will know that we helped him try.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Imagining sitting Mrs ghost down and earnestly making my case that we should forego Christmas presents to donate to some hot dog guy off the internet

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

doobie asked for like 8k originally and got 14k or something crazy from goons so rather than follow through on his hot dog stand plan he decided to make it a full restaurant and after proceeding on his blueprint (a cartoon diner picture from an old coca cola ad) he found out he'd need to get a vent hood installed to make french fries, and he couldnt just serve chips, the coca cola picture had fries, so he asked goons for another 15k. that was where it really broke down and with every subsequent update, like the fact that he was a member of a ton of white supremacist facebook groups, had just bought a new boat, had stolen his initial pitch (the one that made goons fall in love with him) from a vegan website, etc etc, the posts by guys like noni and the goon who gave up his kids christmas presents to donate all that much funnier

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
if you want to see it play out live, the original post in the 2013 KS thread is where it started

Noni posted:

I think we've all been there, jobless with nothing but a bucket of hotdogs, a block of processed cheese, a van, an American flag, and a goddamn dream.

Or at least that was my initial impression. Since the campaign started, the guy has actually built his kitchen (look at the updates!), done some hotdog catering, set up his entire supply chain, and he appears to have his budget planned very well, albeit with the help of "How to Start a Hotdog Cart" eBooks. He's got a dream, man, and none of us and not even the devil himself is going to be able to stop him. Unlike a lot of crappy Kickstarters, I believe this is going to happen with or without our funding. This guy is Forrest Gump and his shrimping boat/hotdog stand might as well be built right next to the Field of Dreams. I don't mean to imply that he's an idiot, but that I admire his blind confidence and hotdog faith.

I come from Hipsterville where we only eat hotdogs ironically, as a joke, so that other people can look at us and say "Haha. That's hilarious. Let me take an Instagram of that. Imagine if you ate hotdogs and actually liked them." So this campaign touches me in ways both mystical and nostalgic. It makes me yearn for the days when I could eat bad food unironically and wear plaid because it's warm and because lumberjacks are cool, not because I'm trying to convey some dumb hidden message. Every time you eat a hotdog, you get to become a kid again for two minutes.

The hotdogs are hilarious, but I genuinely hate it when people get flak for "trying too hard." We badly need more people who try too hard. It's the most foolish insult to say, "I dislike you because I dislike effort." We are a generation of people who were told their entire lives by nurturing, caring, hippie parents they we are all geniuses. Every boy a wonderboy. Every child above average. But rare is a parent who doesn't care about test scores and IQs, but instead praises their kid only for trying and failing. Effort, man. Effort. That matters so much more than innate intelligence, than knowledge, than wit. You should try to do new things even when (hell, especially when) you think you will fail. This man is trying hard, with all his might, for an aspiration that isn't even lofty. It's humble man wanting for a reachable goal involving the most meager of foods in the tiniest of towns in the poorest of states.

Yeah, I'll be damned if I'm going to dislike a guy for trying too hard. It's apparent that he has turned to crowdfunding only because he has already put every spare dollar he owns into this business. I might not believe in the superior deliciousness of Doobie's hotdogs, but I want to believe in them. And I would eat one.

Another thing is that this appears to be a very small town where the median household income is 20 grand and the most prominent restaurant is a Subway. A hotdog stand, of all things, could affect real change there. It's a good story: The unfeeling internet hordes pulling together to fund a rural hotdog stand in Reform, Alabama. That is something I want to be part of. "Doobie's Dog House" is a name worthy of headlines. I want confused journalists to try to figure out what the gently caress happened, why it happened, and how they can possibly convey the idea of crowdfunding to their readers. It'll be like when CNN tries to explain memes. At the very least, this has the potential to make an entire town wonder about Something Awful. Someday, I would like to drive to Doobie's Dog House, eat a hotdog, and think of goons.

To finally answer your question about our motivations, it's definitely the third option. We are good and bad meats processed together and extruded as 6 foot tall tubes, both cynical and kind, complicated and salty. Goons are actual hotdogs. I pledged $25 for both entertainment and charity. If this works and there's a hungry Alabama goon who wants my hotdogs, they can have them. Just please take pictures so it's like a child sponsorship charity, only for meat tubes instead of impoverished children. If the Kickstarter fails, then I will have paid nothing and told a guy that I admire his efforts and his gumption.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

the sex ghost posted:

Imagining sitting Mrs ghost down and earnestly making my case that we should forego Christmas presents to donate to some hot dog guy off the internet

At the New Year’s Eve party working up the courage to tell them that it turns out the internet hotdog guy is racist.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

A hotdog stand, of all things, could affect real change there.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Meme Poker Party posted:

Good lord...

That is his chili cheese dog. It looks like someone sprayed explosive diarrhea over a hot dog and I'm pretty that's spray can cheese.

emgeejay posted:

What the hell happened here

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That DICK! posted:

doobie asked for like 8k originally and got 14k or something crazy from goons so rather than follow through on his hot dog stand plan he decided to make it a full restaurant and after proceeding on his blueprint (a cartoon diner picture from an old coca cola ad) he found out he'd need to get a vent hood installed to make french fries, and he couldnt just serve chips, the coca cola picture had fries, so he asked goons for another 15k. that was where it really broke down and with every subsequent update, like the fact that he was a member of a ton of white supremacist facebook groups, had just bought a new boat, had stolen his initial pitch (the one that made goons fall in love with him) from a vegan website, etc etc, the posts by guys like noni and the goon who gave up his kids christmas presents to donate all that much funnier

He actually couldn't open it as a hot dog stand, as he found out after getting the money that food carts were banned in his town, so the restaurant was his last resort.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

oh lol

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
The Doobie stuff is funny not so much because of Doobie making GBS threads the bed with his dreams of hot dog profits, but because there were a bunch of goons who truly believed in it.

Also, it generated this picture:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Please unban epic hamcat.

OP posted:

Imho, its pretty impressive that he managed to get banned in this modern GBS for basically no reason by the mod whwo wrote a 2000 word comparison ebtween world of war craft and the sa forums , but please unban him.

Noni posted:

I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT AND I'D DO IT AGAIN.

That's right. I banned him. Ooooooh yeah, and it feel so drat good to ban him. You guys should try this poo poo sometimes. Daaaaaaaaammmn. Getting high on banning the hamcat. I'm gonna ban that cat when he gets back and just sit back and let that poo poo soak into my brain and tingly my spinal cord. Feels good. Hamcat, rereg, dammit. I need a motherfucking fix.

What's nice when you smoke a hamcat is to let it post around 35 lovely threads and then BAM! Gas them all and light up that hamcat all in one big puff and get prepared for a trip to outer space: population Noni.

I can't help it guys. I'm addicted to banning that salty feline and can't be stopped. Hahahaha suck it.

Gonna sticky this thing. A big old hamcat head on a post as a warning.

there's a rich and storied tradition of some of the weirdest people on this dead gay(good) website being given mod powers in GBS

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
didnt he say he thought a black lady hacker broke into his home and stole his money cause there were kfc buckets strewn about his computer room

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Bogus Adventure posted:

The Doobie stuff is funny not so much because of Doobie making GBS threads the bed with his dreams of hot dog profits, but because there were a bunch of goons who truly believed in it.

it was funny when the second kickstarter failed doobie started doing threatening kermit the frog sipping tea puppetmaster memes at the frogdoggers

copy
Jul 26, 2007

pentyne posted:

my several paragraphs about why i didn't technically cancel christmas is getting me a lot of questions about why i didn't technically cancel christmas

lmfao

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

The Kins posted:

Which one's Diabetes, Games or YOSPOS?

games is diabetes. They're freakin' sweet!

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

grievously injured in a girlfriend-related event

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

qnqnx posted:

It's the Everest thread in fast forward, and it sucks even more.

Say what you want about the everest thread but it did inadvertently get me back to school to get a degree*

*associates but whatever

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

That DICK! posted:

it was funny when the second kickstarter failed doobie started doing threatening kermit the frog sipping tea puppetmaster memes at the frogdoggers

memes piled high, goon tears ice cold in the cup

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

...of SCIENCE! posted:

All this :spergin: is basically the TFR equivalent of "my five year-old could paint that!" levels not getting art.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

the sex ghost posted:

Didn’t it come out that he and his wife were outing gay people to their employers in an effort to get them fired? Shittier than your garden variety Alabama racism

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

pentyne posted:

if you want to see it play out live, the original post in the 2013 KS thread is where it started

Obviously I didn't read most of this but lol at comparing him to Forrest Gump who stole the idea from his dying friend Bubba and then later it's revealed hot dog guy stole the idea from some vegans or whatever

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Smh that a goon can't distinguish spray cheese from mustard.

Even if the color was close, why would you use spray cheese AND a Kraft Single together?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Did doughnut goon do anything crazy? Can't find his thread anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DaysBefore posted:

Did doughnut goon do anything crazy? Can't find his thread anymore

donut goon was goldmined after it was determined he was likely never going to make donuts and if he did he was welcome to start a new thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4012279

by the end it seemed more like OP was a compulsive hoarder who would not stop spending money on things convinced he could fix/repair them to make an effortless fortune