Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Truga posted:

i think your proton settings got reset somehow. go into steam settings, compatibility tab, and "Enable Steam Play for all other titles"

proton experimental is usually safe to select here and on the off-chance a game doesn't work you can set a different version in per-game settings

Oh, wow thanks! This did it, and I probably never would have fixed this on my own because it's in the developers tab on my deck for some reason and I never would have gone in there if I didn't know I looking for someone I couldn't find anywhere else (enable steam play). Not sure how I even disabled that in the first place but you saved my week for sure. Thanks again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Insanite posted:

Got Dave the Diver. It owns and runs well on the Deck, which I guess was not the case earlier in its release.

It does regularly involve rapidly moving the left joystick L <-> R, though, which can be difficult depending on how I'm positioned and also makes me fear that I'm sapping life from the joystick prematurely.

Is there a good way to map a paddle button to do a sort of L <-> R turbo thing? I've found some community bindings that claim to do this (generally L->R turbo at 75-100), but they don't seem to work. :\

I’m going to be buying this game soon so I’m interested in a fix too!

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
trip report: New Vegas works very well using Proton Beta

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

tango alpha delta posted:

trip report: New Vegas works very well using Proton Beta
Heck yes, NV was my first Deck game too. I've played through it like six times since it came out, and having it on this platform feels wild.

Be sure to check out the free Aperture Desk Job. It took me way too long to remember that existed, and it's a nice introduction to the platform.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Medullah posted:

Yeah when my deck is in desktop mode I can't connect period, and when I connect in Steam mode as soon as I swap to desktop mode it disconnects me. I'll try out anydesk.

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but when you switch to desktop mode, do you have the desktop mode version of Steam running? Just out of curiosity; the general recommendation I always heard was that anydesk was superior overall.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Olesh posted:

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but when you switch to desktop mode, do you have the desktop mode version of Steam running? Just out of curiosity; the general recommendation I always heard was that anydesk was superior overall.
Yes, the steam client comes up because it maps some controls to mouse and mouse buttons. It also provides a keyboard overlay with Steam + X.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Insanite posted:

Got Dave the Diver. It owns and runs well on the Deck, which I guess was not the case earlier in its release.

It does regularly involve rapidly moving the left joystick L <-> R, though, which can be difficult depending on how I'm positioned and also makes me fear that I'm sapping life from the joystick prematurely.

Is there a good way to map a paddle button to do a sort of L <-> R turbo thing? I've found some community bindings that claim to do this (generally L->R turbo at 75-100), but they don't seem to work. :\

I asked the same thing and apparently there is a user control mapping you can install that puts the wiggle and rotate of the harpoons on the back buttons. I haven't had time to figure out how to find and install that though.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Insanite posted:

Not a turbo, but I made the left trackpad output left joystick, and brushing back and forth on that at least made me happy that I wasn't jackin' my joystick around.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Vic posted:

Yeah everyone remembers the time their first time with a Deck.

Huffed that vent

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

bus hustler posted:

Sorry this is probably the most basic question ever but... which one is recommended to buy? My kid is 1 and I'm finally out of the "haha you can NEVER play a game" land & I'm about to start a work from home job. Seems like a great time to buy.

Is the top end one a waste? With the sale it's very enticing over the middle tier... but I'm skeptical of that just being psychology.

Is one trash-tier or not a good value or anything like that?

A few years down the road, but it's nice having the Deck when it's the kid's TV time. Also

Humongous Entertainment Pack
Metamorphabet
A Little to the Left

have been fun together.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

RandolphCarter posted:

The first thing I did with my deck was put it next to my switch and laugh at the size of the thing

Yeah, Switch too tiny now. Strong, big gamers like us want the Deck.

Atoramos posted:

A few years down the road, but it's nice having the Deck when it's the kid's TV time.

You may also want to look at the different Lego licensed games (Marvel, Hobbit, Batman, etc) since they all have local co-op.

Speaking of, wish I had someone to play this IRL, KeyWe, funny co-op puzzle game with kiwi birds.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 10, 2023

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Saoshyant posted:

Yeah, Switch too tiny now. Strong, big gamers like us want the Deck.

The way my whole hands fit around it, palm to finger-tip. The warmth. I love Deck.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

How do I make it so that cloud saves don't change settings between PC and Steam Deck?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I believe it's up to the game if the settings get captured in the Steam cloud saves or not, so I don't exactly know if there IS a way

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TraderStav posted:

Huffed that vent

Get the decksmell while you can

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Bioshock remastered at 60 fps runs for 4 hours at 10 watts. That’s crazy.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

tuyop posted:

Omg I just saw on Reddit that the left trackpad is a circular scroll like an old iPod! I had no idea and just kind of gave up using it and dragged the scrollbar like a nerd!

What no way

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Detective No. 27 posted:

How do I make it so that cloud saves don't change settings between PC and Steam Deck?

It's per game basis, though most games I've played are smart to only carry over non-display setting stuff.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
monkey island kept crashing on me and i had no idea why since the log was empty. turned out it was because it saved 2560x1600 to steam cloud and i'm on 2560x1440 now

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Detective No. 27 posted:

Squiggle posted:

I believe it's up to the game if the settings get captured in the Steam cloud saves or not, so I don't exactly know if there IS a way
If you're certain that the game in question handles settings outside of Steam Cloud and are able to find the ini file, you could try to get up a sync through SyncThing or something similar. I'd just suggest making a backup of the files on both PC and Deck first, just in case.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Why isn’t FSR just enabled on every game by default? This poo poo is magic.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Cause there's bad FSR Implementations

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
It's Summer Bezos Fest over on Amazon, no super compelling deals on 2230 SSDs that I can find (a sweet discount on SHARKSPEED ones that.. end up costing more than the Corsair MP600 line) but if you want a smoking 15% off some JSAUX stuff or better on more general PC/gaming peripherals (I'm getting a mouse and some simracing poo poo I think) today is one of the days of all time.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Good time to grab an extra 45w charger (or two). My fiancé bought me a knockoff dock and it works pretty good so I need a power brick for it now. Still don’t quite “get” the need for a dock but for playing simpler games on the TV it’s neat, I guess.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Snackula posted:

It's Summer Bezos Fest over on Amazon, no super compelling deals on 2230 SSDs that I can find (a sweet discount on SHARKSPEED ones that.. end up costing more than the Corsair MP600 line) but if you want a smoking 15% off some JSAUX stuff or better on more general PC/gaming peripherals (I'm getting a mouse and some simracing poo poo I think) today is one of the days of all time.

join usssss

Also microSD cards always go hella cheap during these Amazon sales, so a good time to play the Amazon SD card lottery for some cheap storage. The Samsung 256gb cards are £13 right now. You can find some faster 512 U3 class cards for £40 too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The deck really needs another USB-C port on the bottom, so you can set it in a dock like the switch. Also it needs two USB-C ports because if one breaks the whole system is junk

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Beve Stuscemi posted:

The deck really needs another USB-C port on the bottom, so you can set it in a dock like the switch. Also it needs two USB-C ports because if one breaks the whole system is junk

:hai: There’s a lot that the Deck could learn from the perfect console: The Nintendo Switch. :hai:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Probably because some games have FSR2.0 implementations built in, and it's better to use that than the FSR1.0 the Deck uses. Also 2D games generally look better with one of the other scaling options IMO. Also also there's a (slight, but sometimes noticeable) performance hit for using FSR and they probably didn't want to assume that everyone would want to use the most expensive option all the time.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

:hai: There’s a lot that the Deck could learn from the perfect console: The Nintendo Switch. :hai:
I can't find the second USB-C port on my Switch, can you help me find it?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Does anyone have any recommendations for good retro (or retro-styled) games they like to play on the Deck?

So far, I've played:

Dig Dug
Galaga (:swoon: I forgot how much I loved this game)
Pac Man
Pac Man Deluxe Championship Edition Super holy crap whoa

And I'm aware of the Atari 50th Anniversary thingy, I'll get that sometime. Last week, I was at an arcade with my sons and they had their equivalent of a Playchoice 10, and it had Pac Man, Ms Pac Man, Donkey Kong 1-Jr-3, Dig Dug, Galaga, Galaxian, and maybe a few others. I dropped more credits into that than I expected and it really gave me an itch for classic retro games.

I also have the Contra, Castlevania and Mega Man collections.

Is Elevator Action Returns pretty good?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

Probably because some games have FSR2.0 implementations built in, and it's better to use that than the FSR1.0 the Deck uses. Also 2D games generally look better with one of the other scaling options IMO. Also also there's a (slight, but sometimes noticeable) performance hit for using FSR and they probably didn't want to assume that everyone would want to use the most expensive option all the time.

Also because in order for an upscaling algorithm to be useful you have to run the game below native resolution and plenty of games can run at full resolution on the Deck. And because the correct way to do upscaling is in the game itself, dynamically at runtime based on the current frame rate, and before the game's UI gets drawn.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If my Steam Deck’s USB C port broke I would simply solder in a new one.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It rules, definitely one of the first things I play whenever I find an emulation thing in front of me.

edit: as for Deck USB-C/docking wise I think Nintendo just have a patent for the way the Switch goes in its dock so everyone else gets to figure out some other weird way of doing it. It might just be the way the dock automagically disables the connected joycons and kicks the thing into high performance mode though, I'm not a lawyer all I know is there's drawings and diagrams of the Switch going in the dock in their Switch-related patents.

Snackula fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 11, 2023

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

The Deck gets linear (and nearest) upscaling "for free", but the other modes require spawning a vulkan async instance. Hardly a big deal, but if you're going to have one default for folks who otherwise don't care, linear makes sense from both a "it's less complicated" and user familiarity standpoint.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Snackula posted:

edit: as for Deck USB-C/docking wise I think Nintendo just have a patent for the way the Switch goes in its dock so everyone else gets to figure out some other weird way of doing it.
The OEM dock connector is definitely non-standard and quite specially designed to allow palming a Switch into it. Is it patented? Probably.

The bigger issue is that if you put the Deck's USB port on the bottom in such a way that it's "obvious" to make a dock that works the way the Switch's does, then people will do it, do a bad job of it, and now you have Decks with damaged USB ports. By putting the port on the top, everyone is going to make docks with a short cable which is much easier to design correctly.

Also, I pretty frequently play my Deck using a battery pack and having the cable come out the top instead of the bottom is definitely more convenient. That said, I wouldn't have complained if they put in two ports, one on the top and another on the bottom.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I agree, they should learn from the Vita. Still, multiple USB-C ports would be nice.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Heck yes, NV was my first Deck game too. I've played through it like six times since it came out, and having it on this platform feels wild.

Be sure to check out the free Aperture Desk Job. It took me way too long to remember that existed, and it's a nice introduction to the platform.

Vanilla New Vegas on the Deck or with some mods?

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Does anyone have any recommendations for good retro (or retro-styled) games they like to play on the Deck?

So far, I've played:

Dig Dug
Galaga (:swoon: I forgot how much I loved this game)
Pac Man
Pac Man Deluxe Championship Edition Super holy crap whoa

And I'm aware of the Atari 50th Anniversary thingy, I'll get that sometime. Last week, I was at an arcade with my sons and they had their equivalent of a Playchoice 10, and it had Pac Man, Ms Pac Man, Donkey Kong 1-Jr-3, Dig Dug, Galaga, Galaxian, and maybe a few others. I dropped more credits into that than I expected and it really gave me an itch for classic retro games.

I also have the Contra, Castlevania and Mega Man collections.

I've recently started making a bit of a pivot towards those types of games as well. Really love the idea of turning my Deck into a bit of a portable arcade machine.

I've come out of this sale with Huntdown, Cuphead, Metal Slug 3, Buck Up and Drive! and the Streets of Rage 4 DLC. Not all of those are an exact fit for what you're after or might be new/indie games rather than old classics, but they fit the "coin op style" space I've been looking for recently.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cuphead, while incredibly charming, extremely well-presented, and lovingly made, can go gently caress itself.

I love Contra. I love Gunstar Heroes. I hate playing Cuphead. It is frustratingly difficult.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
cuphead is a perfect game, one of the best of all time tbh, but you really have to be okay with losing 50 times in a row in a seemingly hopeless fight before you squeeze out a win. if you don't have this kind of brain it's definitely not for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Cuphead, while incredibly charming, extremely well-presented, and lovingly made, can go gently caress itself.

I love Contra. I love Gunstar Heroes. I hate playing Cuphead. It is frustratingly difficult.

counterpoint: the Cuica solo in Floral Fury :allears: