Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
This is why I stuck to TinyTIM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

SlimGoodbody posted:

Remember when Newsom threatened to nationalize them and then ultimately didn't do jack poo poo

Why can't we have a nationalized grid :(

Because PG&E operates as a shareholder owned for profit business. The shareholders being state worker retirement funds.

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
Burning flora and fauna at the altar of 2% at 62

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Speaking of state workers, SEIU saw their contract expire on July 1. SEIU is the largest of the public sector unions, at about 100,000 workers.

https://apple.news/A2WTJljQFTMWsEi6q-kEJrg

The State's only offer (which they've offered to others) is a 2% annual raise for 3 years, which SEIU rejected outright without a vote. My union (Scientists, now 3 years out of contract) brought the same offer to a vote early this year where it deservedly went down in flames.

Adding insult to injury, SEIU folks had a $240/month healthcare stipend which is now being taken away.

The vast majority of the 21 Bargaining Units are now out of contact.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Tacier posted:

Power for urban areas is usually generated a fair distance away, with the lines traveling through rural areas to get there. The neglected power lines in the rural Feather River Canyon that started the Camp Fire carry electricity to places as far away as Oakland. Just because the lines fail in rural areas doesn’t mean that’s where the power is going.

Yeah, LADWP has power plants in Phoenix (Palo Verde) and a coal power plant (Intermountain) in loving Utah. Hell, a fair amount of socal energy comes from oregon via the Pacific DC Intertie

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
Idk what the state is trying to do to its workers. Employees took a 10% pay cut during covid that lasted about 2 years, while California had a giant surplus. Now the state wants employees to pay an increased contribution to retirees’ healthcare, reduced stipend to pay for existing employees’ healthcare, and 2% per year salary increase over three years. While a ton of positions have been vacant for as long as memory serves. It’s bananas and I have no idea how it’s going to play out.

Highbrow Slick fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jul 8, 2023

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Given that state workers are not allowed to strike until the state themselves declare an impasse, I don't see why the state will ever bother discussing salary at all.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Interesting article looking at Brooke Jenkins’s first year as SF District Attorney. Basically she hasn’t had much measurable improvement over Chesa Boudin and in fact is worse in multiple areas.

Also, she dropped this great quote basically admitting her incompetence and being outmaneuvered by defense attorneys and partially blaming her lack of success on them….doing their jobs.

quote:

“In a statement, Jenkins also blamed defense attorneys for her office not having more to show for her prosecutions against drug dealers.

“As we have been taking a firmer stance against drug dealers, the defense bar, as expected, has shifted tactics,” Jenkins said. “They are turning straightforward cases into prolonged affairs that ultimately do not benefit their clients, clog the courts and fail to advance justice or public safety.”

The most hilarious outcome of this is her losing in ‘24 to Boudin

https://sfstandard.com/criminal-justice/brooke-jenkins-promise-end-drug-dealing/

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

quote:

“As we have been taking a firmer stance against drug dealers, the defense bar, as expected, has shifted tactics,” Jenkins said. “They are turning straightforward cases into prolonged affairs that ultimately do not benefit their clients, clog the courts and fail to advance justice or public safety.”

Translation: the whole system of DA's pumping their numbers by pressuring poor and minority non-violent drug offenders into plea bargains falls apart when the "firmer" terms you're offering are scarcely better than a guilty verdict and the charges you're try to pursue are so flimsy even overworked and understaffed public defenders will advise clients to fight them.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Sydin posted:

Translation: the whole system of DA's pumping their numbers by pressuring poor and minority non-violent drug offenders into plea bargains falls apart when the "firmer" terms you're offering are scarcely better than a guilty verdict and the charges you're try to pursue are so flimsy even overworked and understaffed public defenders will advise clients to fight them.

You hit the nail on the head and to piggy back onto what you said they are going a step further than that and charging drug users which is probably not going to end up well for them if they try to take those cases to trial while offering lovely plea deals.

quote:

Her office is also still unveiling new policies, which include charging drug users who are arrested more than once for possession, which stands in contrast to past years when charging people for having drugs or paraphernalia on them was not a priority.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Jaxyon posted:

I hear ya, but california does have a law about this!

Unfortunately it's only decertified 53 cops so far, but we do have a list:

<list>

Torrance....not surprising and also LOL

I disliked the formatting of your list, so did my own.

code:
Alameda County SD:      	Javier Manzo
Cathedral City PD:      	Claudiu Murzea
Contra Costa County SD: 	Erick Anthony Rossi
Desert Hot Springs PD:  	Andrew Zamudio 
Fairfield PD:           	Camille Langi
Fort Bragg PD:          	Christopher K. Awad
Fresno County SO:       	Francisco Perez 
Kern County DA:         	David Wesley Hubbard 
Kern County SO:         	Brandon Michael Lawrence 
Los Angeles County SD:  	Jose L. Carranza, 
				Jim A. Devoe,
				Hiraudi Y. Lopez-Romero,
				Kevin J. Pacheco,
				Remin Felix N. Pineda,
				Armando R. Ramirez
Los Angeles PD:         	Luke Baxter Walden
Madera County SD:       	Jassiem Wills
Oakdale PD:             	Nicholas Stewart
				Phong Thanh Tran
Pittsburg PD:           	Patrick Berhan 
Redwood City PD:        	Shawn Patrick Nimau
Riverside County SD:    	Nicolas Nolten
Rohnert Park DPS:       	Joseph Huffaker
				Brendon Jacy Tatum
San Bernardino PD:      	Sonny Aguilera, 
				Fidel Ocampo-Rodarte
San Diego County SD:    	Jose A. Soto, 
				Allen Wereski,
				Cory D. Richey
San Diego PD: 			Cesar Alcantara
San Francisco PD: 		Davin Lyle Cole,
				Adam Eatia,
				Kevin Lyons,
				Kevin Sien
San Rafael PD: 			Daniel Lawrence Fink
Sanger PD: 			J. Deshawn Torrence
Sierra County SO: 		David Morris 
Sonoma County SO: 		Adam Marlowe
Stockton PD: 			Nicholas Bloed, 
Torrance PD: 			Christopher W. Allen-Young, 
				Omar Alonso,
				David Frederick Chandler,
				Anthony R. Chavez,
				Matthew Brian Concannon,
				Brian Keith Kawamoto,
				Joshua G Satterfield,
				Blake Williams,
Victor Valley College PD:	Robert Leander Seeley III
Whittier PD: 			Jose Angel Escobedo,
				Cynthia Lopez, 
				Salvador Murillo
Willits PD: 			Raymond D. Hendry

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Pinche Rudo posted:

Interesting article looking at Brooke Jenkins’s first year as SF District Attorney. Basically she hasn’t had much measurable improvement over Chesa Boudin and in fact is worse in multiple areas.

Also, she dropped this great quote basically admitting her incompetence and being outmaneuvered by defense attorneys and partially blaming her lack of success on them….doing their jobs.

The most hilarious outcome of this is her losing in ‘24 to Boudin

https://sfstandard.com/criminal-justice/brooke-jenkins-promise-end-drug-dealing/

lol "people are exercising their right to a jury trial" is a pretty wild thing to blame for your incompetence

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
Stanford graduate students vote to unionize.

the article posted:

Stanford University graduate students have voted to unionize after an election conducted through the National Labor Relations Board came back with over 90% support Thursday.

Katherine Whatley, a Ph.D. student at Stanford, said the labor of grad students often goes unnoticed.

“Whether it be working in the lab or in the classroom or doing research, giving presentations — all of that is labor,” Whatley told KQED. “So, we use the [term] Stanford Graduate Workers because we want to highlight the fact that we are workers, not only students, and that the work that we do, the labor that we do, is vital to Stanford as an institution.”

With the election results finalized, the union can now bargain with the university for a contract. In a statement, Stanford said it looks forward to working in good faith with the union.

later in the article posted:

The vote comes months after academic workers at the University of California walked off the job in the largest higher education strike in U.S. history, and is part of a wave of union drives among graduate workers nationwide. Graduate workers at Yale University, the University of Southern California and the University of Chicago all voted to unionize this year.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

How much does a Yale graduate worker make

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Hadlock posted:

How much does a Yale graduate worker make

quote:

All Ph.D. students receive a semi-monthly stipend payment to cover the basic cost of living in New Haven. The minimum annual stipend for the 2022-2023 academic year is $38,300.

hard to guess what this is on an hourly basis, but knowing that grad students tend to put in well in excess of 40 hours a week, it's even worse than you would assume at first glance

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Assuming they work around a two semester schedule so 2 x 5 months, that's about $30/hr @60 hrs/ wk or $23/hr @80 hrs a week which is honestly pretty fair given it's effectively a paid apprenticeship with a bunch of tax advantaged loans and other cost of living discounts and programs

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Working 80 hours a week is never fair

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Grad students, like all workers, should be fairly compensated and not be ground to the bone. Grad students unionizing and winning is a win for everyone.

enahs
Jan 1, 2010

Grow up.

Hadlock posted:

Assuming they work around a two semester schedule so 2 x 5 months, that's about $30/hr @60 hrs/ wk or $23/hr @80 hrs a week which is honestly pretty fair given it's effectively a paid apprenticeship with a bunch of tax advantaged loans and other cost of living discounts and programs

Why do you count only 10 months here? Maybe some graduate students get months off between semesters, but all of the ones I met in grad school were still working when they weren't teaching. My stipend was significantly lower than the Yale minimum, and I and most of my cohort regularly worked multiple 60-80 hour weeks per month.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Hadlock posted:

You don't seem to be doing your time and a half calculations correctly. Also, when I was a grad student, my lab was only closed for the week between Christmas and New Year's. People often took one or two additional weeks off as well. We were expected to do 60 hours a week in the lab, 20 hours a week teaching/grading, and then whatever classes we had plus studying. It's an intense schedule that lots of people can not do, and results in huge dropout rates.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

enahs posted:

Why do you count only 10 months here?

from my post, "Assuming they work around a two semester schedule so 2 x 5 months" or did you mean "why do you assume only 10 months here?" to which the answer is merely "Assuming they work around a two semester schedule"

fermun posted:

You don't seem to be doing your time and a half calculations correctly.

Salary workers don't get time and a half

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Do you think the minimum stipend is per semester because how do you arrive at those dollar figures

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh whoops when he quoted the $38,300 the word "stipend" wrapped to the next line I assumed that 's' word was "salary" and we were dealing with actual facts

Still waiting on actual negotiated salary of a graduate worker

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

It's important that institutions never take a stance like "genocide is bad". Now get out there and crack some of my students' skulls.

fermun posted:

[W]hen I was a grad student... [w]e were expected to do 60 hours a week in the lab, 20 hours a week teaching/grading, and then whatever classes we had plus studying. It's an intense schedule that lots of people can not do, and results in huge dropout rates.

That's crazy. In my field (economics), graduate students work at most 20 hours per week as TAs and/or RAs. In my department, grad students are paid for 20 hours per week, but very rarely have to work anywhere close to that. I'd say my TAs work 5 hours per week on average, and my RAs maybe 10. They also receive stipends on top of their TA/RAships.

They obviously spend a lot more time working on problem sets (in the first two years) and working on their own research (from year three onward), but this shouldn't be counted as work for which they ought to be paid.

Things in your field might get fuzzy if the 60 hours per week in the lab results in coauthorships on journal articles. That's incredibly valuable for graduate students and should be viewed as part of their compensation. In my field, the present value of an article in a top journal is estimated to be in the six-figure range.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Hadlock posted:

Still waiting on actual negotiated salary of a graduate worker

negotiated? they take what they get and make it work (meaning, accumulate debt) or they drop out. thats why they're unionizing dude

e: also, a salary isn't an exemption. an exemption is an exemption. at least in california, if you're non-exempt and salaried you're owed overtime

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 11, 2023

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Hadlock posted:

from my post, "Assuming they work around a two semester schedule so 2 x 5 months" or did you mean "why do you assume only 10 months here?" to which the answer is merely "Assuming they work around a two semester schedule"

Salary workers don't get time and a half

Your only 10 months a year thing is still something I've never encountered for a graduate student.

Even still, 10 months is 43.5 weeks, rounding down to 43, that's 2580 hours @ 60 hours a week and 3440 hours @ 80 hours a week. 38300/2580= $14.84/hour, not $30, and 38300/3440 = $11.13/hour, not $23.

A more realistic number would be those hours worked for 43 weeks and then an additional 6-8 weeks at either 40 hours or 60 hours (because you don't need to teach/grade those 8 weeks), so let's assume 6 weeks as the smaller number, and add 6*40= 240 hours to the first worked hours and 6*60= 360 hours for the second figure and you get 38300/2820 = $13.58/hour and 38300/3800 = $10.08/hour

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

OMGVBFLOL posted:

negotiated? they take what they get and make it work (meaning, accumulate debt) or they drop out. thats why they're unionizing dude

e: also, a salary isn't an exemption. an exemption is an exemption. at least in california, if you're non-exempt and salaried you're owed overtime

from here

quote:

With the election results finalized, the union can now bargain with the university for a contract. In a statement, Stanford said it looks forward to working in good faith with the union.

Presumably the union will negotiate for some kind of payment, I'm not sure what else they would negotiate for, or what other purpose they planned on unionizing for. I thought they were negotiating for salary, per my previous comment mixing up salary and stipend

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

oh you meant like, waiting to see what they negotiate, as a union. i thought you were making up some office-brained alternate reality where graduate students individually negotiate the terms of their employment

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Lmao negotiating for a ton of poo poo as a graduate student. Not getting hosed by your advisor and committee, not doing a ton of extra un-paid work, having defined benefits not at the whims of tenured professors that don't get a poo poo about you. There is a tremendous amount of space to be gained in not being abused as a graduate student.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
It surprises me that university workers haven't been unionized since the early 20th century. Is this unique to the uni in question given it's history? Like there were never many commies there?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Union negotiations can include anything, I know, for example the Anchor Steam union discussed restoration of the old policy when the brewery was owned by the Maytags (of appliance fame) that everyone could have a free beer on their lunch break and would get a ham at Thanksgiving. I don't recall if they actually forced the issue on that one, but there's way more than salary that can be negotiated.

Oakland Martini posted:

That's crazy. In my field (economics), graduate students work at most 20 hours per week as TAs and/or RAs. In my department, grad students are paid for 20 hours per week, but very rarely have to work anywhere close to that. I'd say my TAs work 5 hours per week on average, and my RAs maybe 10. They also receive stipends on top of their TA/RAships.

They obviously spend a lot more time working on problem sets (in the first two years) and working on their own research (from year three onward), but this shouldn't be counted as work for which they ought to be paid.

Things in your field might get fuzzy if the 60 hours per week in the lab results in coauthorships on journal articles. That's incredibly valuable for graduate students and should be viewed as part of their compensation. In my field, the present value of an article in a top journal is estimated to be in the six-figure range.

If the school is getting grants for that research, then any research a graduate worker does should count as work for which they ought to be paid.

Ranter posted:

It surprises me that university workers haven't been unionized since the early 20th century. Is this unique to the uni in question given it's history? Like there were never many commies there?

University workers only really started getting unionized around the 1960s in the US when United Auto Workers kids started going to grad school and talked about how lovely it was, that's why most unionized universities are in the rust belt and are primarily organized under UAW. UAW has a surprisingly large membership percentage that are university workers.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

graduate students used to be virtually exclusively from rich families, and the few that weren't didn't take much to placate.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ranter posted:

Stanford owes much (most?) of its prominence due to cold war era military radio and radar research contracts, they were basically a DARPA research lab for most of the 20th century; this is well documented

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Hadlock posted:

are you a pinkerton or something?

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Grad students are poorly paid, but in principle they are also getting a degree, and being a grad student isn't something you do forever. The people really getting boned are the adjuncts.

Troutful
May 31, 2011

There's no need to turn it into a contest.

When I was a lab technician at a university, fresh out of college, I made over 50% more than what I currently earn as a graduate student in a STEM field, and I worked <45 hours per week as opposed to the 60ish hours/week I work now. I had pretty cushy benefits, too, including 26 paid vacation days and a generous retirement plan.

Now, the whole point of working as a lab tech was to support the graduate students and postdocs, so you can draw your own conclusions here about the value of their labor relative to mine.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

fermun posted:

Union negotiations can include anything, I know, for example the Anchor Steam union discussed restoration of the old policy when the brewery was owned by the Maytags (of appliance fame) that everyone could have a free beer on their lunch break and would get a ham at Thanksgiving. I don't recall if they actually forced the issue on that one, but there's way more than salary that can be negotiated.

Our contract had a Thanksgiving turkey at one point in the contract, which was difficult when we had 100 employees but a logistical nightmare when we swelled to 350 employees. About the only time I’ve agreed with the rest of management in a fight against the union was when we said no we’re going to count a gift card that’s enough to buy a turkey as a turkey. Someone in their leadership finally talked them out of taking it to arbitration.

I imagine a difficulty with grad students organizing is the built in turnover. It takes a good dude to put their neck on the line and try to organize their shop. Now imagine if they won’t even get to enjoy the eventual benefits. That combined with how competitive it is to get in anyway probably is why it hasn’t happened before.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Hadlock posted:

No science lab lets you have any of the breaks off lol. It's a full-time job. Only the humanities, who get their money from teaching, rather than lab work, get the summer/winter breaks off. But even when not teaching you're supposed to be writing full-time.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Spazzle posted:

Grad students are poorly paid, but in principle they are also getting a degree, and being a grad student isn't something you do forever. The people really getting boned are the adjuncts.

I mean, most jobs last less than the 5-6 years that grad students work in theirs (at best). It's absolutely a "real job" and should be paid as such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

fermun posted:

that everyone ... would get a ham at Thanksgiving

yknow my dad's work literally had this and i never really thought about it. kinda a weird perk