Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

CelticPredator posted:

Ok? I was not one of them lol. Am I not allowed to see a movie on a whim because I had a day off

CelticPredator posted:

The problem is ok you’re like drat I’m bored, I’m gonna go kill two hours to see the new Blockbuster and get there early but all the decent seats are taken so you go drat well can’t go to that.

So you go to another theater, snag a decent seat and sit down but gently caress your seat is squeaky, or the kids in front of you keep bouncing around, so you move over one and now some guys like “hey that’s my seat.”

It’s a pain man. I just wanna sit down and watch a movie

Boo hoo for you and your boredom. How can you possibly prevail?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lmfao deranged

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Boo hoo for you and your boredom. How can you possibly prevail?

Lol what

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

You doing ok, Grendels Dad?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/worldofreel/status/1678419404919275521

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m trying to figure out how my rants about my issues that affected me and me alone would warrant such anger.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

He whines that assigned seating is an inconvenience for him because it limits his freedom to go to the movies whenever and sit wherever. Like, yeah that's great if you can do that, but many people can't do that and he doesn't give a gently caress. I find that attitude infuriating.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

mcmagic posted:

not only that, (reserved seating is fine) but AMC in my area is up charging for the better locations in the middle of the theatre lol

Honestly insane that the debate has continued past this, which is basically a OHKO for the reserved seating defenders.

Grendels Dad posted:

He whines that assigned seating is an inconvenience for him because it limits his freedom to go to the movies whenever and sit wherever. Like, yeah that's great if you can do that, but many people can't do that and he doesn't give a gently caress. I find that attitude infuriating.

What are you even trying to say here? That it's classist to have days off or something?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I have a hundred dollars in my bank account right now lol

I am the upper class

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

What are you even trying to say here? That it's classist to have days off or something?

If you turn it into a class thing you still ignore the limitations that having a family puts on you. Poor families are still going to do worse at visiting the theater than poor old CP.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What do they have to do with me? I just wanted to see a movie on a random day and not be forced into sitting on squeaky chairs or last time a straight up broken chair.

Like the thing was mangled when I walked up to it.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Cate Blanchett is in Borderlands?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

What do they have to do with me? I just wanted to see a movie on a random day and not be forced into sitting on squeaky chairs or last time a straight up broken chair.

Like the thing was mangled when I walked up to it.

That's a problem with the lovely theater you go to, not with assigned seating.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Well, the better theater is smaller and the seats go quicker. So I’m left with the shittier theater.

I think it’s funny that the idea of being a movie fan and being bored and seeing a movie on a whim during time off is a weird notion, and complaining it’s hard to do that sometimes being something that is causing a fight is just a bit deranged.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

All of the theaters in my area have converted to the big recliner seats, which I do like, but there's something about the old fashion lovely folding theater seats that I miss sometimes. They just have a certain vibe that's missing with the new setup.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

Well, the better theater is smaller and the seats go quicker. So I’m left with the shittier theater.

I think it’s funny that the idea of being a movie fan and being bored and seeing a movie on a whim during time off is a weird notion, and complaining it’s hard to do that sometimes being something that is causing a fight is just a bit deranged.

The OP for this conversation was not the quality of the seats of the theater in your vicinity, dude.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The quality of the seats and the issues I’ve had come directly from my inability to walk into a theater 15 minutes early, on a whim, on a day off, and sit wherever is open.

I think you’re mad at something that has nothing to do with me.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Flying Zamboni posted:

All of the theaters in my area have converted to the big recliner seats, which I do like, but there's something about the old fashion lovely folding theater seats that I miss sometimes. They just have a certain vibe that's missing with the new setup.

The "I hope this seat survives the whole two hours" vibe

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Grendels Dad posted:

If you turn it into a class thing you still ignore the limitations that having a family puts on you. Poor families are still going to do worse at visiting the theater than poor old CP.

...huh?

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Azhais posted:

The "I hope this seat survives the whole two hours" vibe

Not a concern if you're seeing a good movie because then the only part of the seat you'll need is the edge.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

yeah it ended up not going into obnoxious. A bit long, I think an hour 55 was too much for two dudes in a weird room. But it really got a lot out of the listless eeriness of a poo poo apartment. And it's fun realizing that the beard guy is not only full of poo poo but also just smart enough to be incredibly stupid.

Grendels Dad posted:

The OP for this conversation was not the quality of the seats of the theater in your vicinity, dude.

It also wasn't about the plight of the working poor. Did assigned seating give you a kidney or something? What's going on here, what's your deal?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

It's still really hard to comprehend your argument. CP is stating a matter of personal preference and you're not only getting really angry about it framing it as an ethical argument, but you're also citing "poor families" as if assigned seating benefits them in some way that's apparently significant but totally vague. I guess it's nice to see if a popular showing has enough seats left for your kids when you buy the ticket?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

I guess it's nice to see if a popular showing has enough seats left for your kids when you buy the ticket?

As a matter of fact, it is.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

One the one hand I don’t think assigned seating is a big deal or should cause all these issues except in extremely specific circumstances (like, just randomly deciding to pop into the biggest movie released that week 5 minutes before a show is such a weird concept to me idk). On the other hand the idea that stating a preference on this issue is an example of disgusting privilege is one of the legitimately most insane things I’ve seen in this thread in long awhile so I say let’s see how far this train takes us lol

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gripweed posted:

You doing ok, Grendels Dad?

His son is terrorising the Danes and his wife is a ides æglecwif.

That gets to a man after a while.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

One the one hand I don’t think assigned seating is a big deal or should cause all these issues except in extremely specific circumstances (like, just randomly deciding to pop into the biggest movie released that week 5 minutes before a show is such a weird concept to me idk). On the other hand the idea that stating a preference on this issue is an example of disgusting privilege is one of the legitimately most insane things I’ve seen in this thread in long awhile so I say let’s see how far this train takes us lol

That's not the way it has been framed in this thread, so far, though. The arguments against assigned seating so far have amounted to a family being annoying because they arrived late looking for their seats, and CP wanting to change seats because his were squeaky.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Guy A. Person posted:

id like to get assigned seats (and a large popcorn)...

for this thread!!

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

for this thread!!

Catching up on replies after work like

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Can’t I change my seat if the very act of shuffling disrupts the film?

(Once I moved just to the front row for a better seat and then a family showed up and was like…hey that’s our seat. So I moved back to my mid seat lol)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i think i can thread the needle here:

going to the movies, reserved seating or not, is morally wrong

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

for this thread!!

:munch: <- me after rolling up 10 minutes late and sitting in the only non-broken/squeaky seat in the thread

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i think i can thread the needle here:

going to the movies, reserved seating or not, is morally wrong

That’s why I only see big studio blockbusters. It’s wrong from top to bottom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjoks83N5EM

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Pre-reserved seating: jump in a line (like the lower class) to wait an hour for two teens tell you they are holding the entire row for their group of friends.

Reserved seating: middle seats have been bought up for months since the initial announcement. Now you gotta sit on the side or back row (like the lower class).

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Broke: Seeing movies without picking a seat

Woke: Seeing a movie in a seat that you picked to be as far away from everyone else as possible

Bespoke: Having such bad taste in movies that you can literally sit anywhere because no-one else is seeing the same movies as you

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

As a matter of fact, it is.

You wanna respond to the rest of the post, or are you good?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Anecdotal, but I've never had an issue with assigned seating at the theaters near me. Maybe it's a skill issue for some of you? Lol.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just sometimes don’t wanna have a plan

That’s the way I do theme parks and it rules

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Assigned seating rules because it sucks having to show up to a theater unnecessarily early just in hopes of getting a good seat. And we've all done the "i'll stand in line for the popcorn, you go into the theater and find some good seats. I'll find you when I come in"

gently caress that. That poo poo sucks.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Bespoke: Having such bad taste in movies that you can literally sit anywhere because no-one else is seeing the same movies as you
This has happened to me more times than I'd like to admit.

CelticPredator posted:

I just sometimes don’t wanna have a plan
:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1678563367345172480?s=20