Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I bounced off Noroi big time, I feel like the only one who didn't like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

Cult is better than Noroi and tired with Occult B)

Cults my pick too. Love Neo

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I didn't like how Cult ended and felt the others ended better.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
They're all good is the thing

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Drunkboxer posted:

Hello new horror thread. Infinity Pool is good and Mia Goth is great.

She's incredible. Hell, may need a Mia Gothverse fighting game to compete with Patrick Wilson's.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

M_Sinistrari posted:

I think what happened with Dark Universe tanking hard was that the studio execs were impressively stupid in handling it. They were looking at the shared Marvel and DC films and were all 'oooh shiny!', and looked at League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and said 'we gotta plan!' which frankly sucked so hard it blew.
The thing is that the DC shared universe is a disaster too. There’s kind of no successful shared universe out there right now except Marvel. And Marvel only kind of set out to do this. They made a bunch of decent individual films first and then tried to make them all work together. Everyone else who set out to make a cinematic universe has repeatedly put the cart before the horse. The Dark Universe did promotional stuff and loaded the Mummy up with Easter eggs and cameos. But you gotta just make a movie or two people want to see first. Then you can build off that. But everyone wants their billion dollar toy first.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also the mid 2000s aesthetic and Shiraishi's documentary approach to found footage really lends itself well to squeezing the movies through the narrow pipe of modern streaming service compression algorithms

which is to say both movies were compression artifacted to gently caress but in a way that reminded me of being awake at 3 am on the weird side of youtube on my laptop

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The first time I watched cult it was such a lo res copy I thought the ectoplasmic worms looked like eye floaters which was such a cool idea to me. Ectoplasmic worms are dope too tho

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Noroi was the high mark for me out of the 4 that I watched. I'll probably watch more but I don't have the time commitment for the series

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Origami Dali posted:

I bounced off Noroi big time, I feel like the only one who didn't like it

i didn't like Noroi when i saw it last but i remember my reasons for not liking it and honestly they were kind of dumb

still absolutely confident Occult is better though

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Bogus Adventure posted:

She's incredible. Hell, may need a Mia Gothverse fighting game to compete with Patrick Wilson's.

She’s a really great face actor.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Drunkboxer posted:

She’s a really great face actor.

Definitely. Her final shot in Pearl is just amazing. She conveys so much in it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i just watched Infinity Pool today and thought it was pretty bad but Mia Goth was indeed great.

i also watched Evil Dead Rise last night which was similarly a pretty bad movie with one great performance (Alyssa Sutherland).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

She was an incredibly fun deadite. I gotta imagine that’s one of the more fun things to play.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

M_Sinistrari posted:

The Sinister films were okay enough. Buguul's look worked for the setting. But what really was standout for the films were the mini murder reels. When I was watching, I was more anticipating the next film mini than the main story. With Insidious, from what I've seen is just more compelling overall, the storyline revelations mesh rather than feel smooshed in, the characters come across organically fleshed out. I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing Red Door soon as there's room in the showings when I'm not working.

It's such a mixed bag living in a city that loves scary movies. It's great to see them do well, but dammit, I wanna see them on the big screen too.

The 8mm films were great, i wish they would’ve come up with a better wrap-around story to just keep making family snuff sequels

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Tomorrow's a great day for VOD releases

Influencer
Spoonful of Sugar
and We Might Hurt Each Other, which I brought up in my recent Chattanooga recap post but had no idea would be available so soon

Chris James 2 posted:

from Chattanooga I'd definitely suggest keeping an eye out for:
We Might Hurt Each Other (aka Pensive), a Lithuanian slasher

Also not horror but definitely also recommend checking out Asteroid City tomorrow :hellyeah:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Chris James 2 posted:

Tomorrow's a great day for VOD releases

Influencer
Spoonful of Sugar
and We Might Hurt Each Other, which I brought up in my recent Chattanooga recap post but had no idea would be available so soon

Also not horror but definitely also recommend checking out Asteroid City tomorrow :hellyeah:

Anymore information on the Lithuanian slasher?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Does the Darth Maul Insidious guy have a name?

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Opopanax posted:

The Man with the Fire in His Face

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Opopanax posted:

Lipstick face demon according to wikipedia

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

The 8mm films were great, i wish they would’ve come up with a better wrap-around story to just keep making family snuff sequels

the difference in quality and tone between the 8mm stuff, and the scenes with svengoolie and d'onofrio's hilarious exposition about him are so stark, it's like they're from different movies.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Phy posted:

Noroi was dope, holy poo poo. Loved the increasing sense of dread as absolutely everybody connected with the story disappeared, died, or disappeared then died

Occult was almost as good save for that goofy effects shot at the end.

The goofy effects shot at the end of Occult shows up again in many of Shiraishi's movies, and it's glorious.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Influencer is average at best but it gets props for having a good late title card

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

We Got Us A Bread posted:

The goofy effects shot at the end of Occult shows up again in many of Shiraishi's movies, and it's glorious.

Alright, alright, I'll get used to it!

Phy fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 11, 2023

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'll say it again there was a point in Occult where I was like "Where is this going , this isn't interesting", then the movie ramps up by about 10,000% and you can't look away.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Anymore information on the Lithuanian slasher?

I didn’t want to give too much away but basically a group of teens party in a remote location and mess around with statues nearby that ticks someone off and he kills them all. There’s a well done slaughter sequence in particular I think will surprise some

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Chris James 2 posted:

I didn’t want to give too much away but basically a group of teens party in a remote location and mess around with statues nearby that ticks someone off and he kills them all. There’s a well done slaughter sequence in particular I think will surprise some

I'll have to be on the look out for it

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Don't kink shame me

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Kind of reminds me of a terrible movie that I watched a while ago that I only watched because it had Nate Richert in it (the guy who played Harvey from the 90s Sabrina the Teenage Witch TV show) called Pinata: Survival Island, where an evil pinata starts killing people. It kill's nate's character by kicking him in the balls so hard it splits him in two which is delightfully stupid. Something I did appreciate though was they weren't JUST partying on the island, there was a kind of game where they were chained to each other and had to try to find underwear hidden around the island as part of a bachelor party so the characters had a Thing to do that wasn't just "Get drunk and have sex and get murdered" so that helped give some semblance of plot or characterisation.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It’s also Lithuania’s first slasher ever, which I didn’t even know when I watched it

https://twitter.com/ScreamboxTV/status/1678410737948012545?s=20

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

you hid the thread from me for 15 pages but you had to know I’d find it again!!
i got Netflix for the first time in ~5 years, around when stranger things s1 came out. what is good on here horror wise to watch this month? favorite castration scene is hard candy.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Here are the horror films with the highest rating averages on Letterboxd, out of the 184 horror films on Netflix.

Here are the horror films with the highest rating averages on Letterboxd, out of the 6,692 horror films on Tubi.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Chris James 2 posted:

It’s also Lithuania’s first slasher ever, which I didn’t even know when I watched it

https://twitter.com/ScreamboxTV/status/1678410737948012545?s=20

This is going to come in very handy for the challenge next Oct, I'm running out of countries I haven't used before

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Only The Ring remake but including

makes :japan:

But also check out He Never Died. A stretch to call it a horror movie, more supernatural drama with some light goop. I've never thought much of Henry Rollins as an actor but this role is perfect for his more wooden emotionless style.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

STAC Goat posted:

The thing is that the DC shared universe is a disaster too. There’s kind of no successful shared universe out there right now except Marvel. And Marvel only kind of set out to do this. They made a bunch of decent individual films first and then tried to make them all work together. Everyone else who set out to make a cinematic universe has repeatedly put the cart before the horse. The Dark Universe did promotional stuff and loaded the Mummy up with Easter eggs and cameos. But you gotta just make a movie or two people want to see first. Then you can build off that. But everyone wants their billion dollar toy first.

It comes across more as the execs got all 'new thing, gotta cash in' without really looking into where the superhero franchises were doing things right and where they were dropping the ball. I agree completely with you on there needs to be a film or two that are solid for the foundation, and too many are putting the cart before the horse. I still feel a Dark Universe is possible, but not with the current mindset with the studio executives.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

3rd row middle, Demon is a really cool atmospheric flick. Pacing is a bit off but the lead is stellar.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the other extended horror universe that kind of rocks is Benson and Moorhead

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I think for me it goes Occult > Noroi > Cult
Still need to finish Senritsu and figure where I put those, think I'm on The Most Terrifying Movie in History.

Just finished the short story so I'm about to give 1408 another try. I remember seeing it in theaters ages ago and just finding it mediocre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Takes No Damage posted:

But also check out He Never Died. A stretch to call it a horror movie, more supernatural drama with some light goop. I've never thought much of Henry Rollins as an actor but this role is perfect for his more wooden emotionless style.

i'll vouch for he never died. i don't know if it's very good but it sticks with me more than a bunch of other movies. it's a good and violent and not so serious time.