Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I do have to say, that it's nice, that there's a bit more young people watching wrestling again.

Most will disappear in 1-5 years, but a handful of them will eventually become sophisticated wrestling appreciators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Stall_19 posted:

https://twitter.com/BrandonThurston/status/1678512909075226625?t=NW7rrRrda0i2Send2oyg9g&s=19

wwe could not have chosen a better time to be on absolute fire than during this contract renewal season. These numbers they're getting is insane in 2023

Jesus Christ. That's when I thought the segment was really dragging on and was wondering when it was gonna get over.

I didn't see this until today. LA Knight has managed to get himself over by carrying himself like a star and getting a catchphrase/singalong the crowd can use.

Also note no Dunn camera cuts so it's super easy to watch everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPYk-rV6iUE

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I don't watch WWE but I like when the LA Knight says Yeah :)

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I usually have MST3K episodes on in the background when I'm doing hobby stuff like painting miniatures or post-processing a 3D print. It's familiar enough that I won't miss anything, but even so a joke will catch me and make me chuckle, even if I've heard it thousands of times before.

One of my favorite jokes that gets me is on blood waters "...give us a break"

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i thought la knight was great since he debuted in nxt, its not surprising hes getting over finally

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Dude's always had a ton of charisma. Eli Drake was great during that brief period when Corgan's NWA was good.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Cant believe a guy is getting over and all he had to do was steal every mannerism from both The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin at the same time

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Stall_19 posted:

https://twitter.com/BrandonThurston/status/1678512909075226625?t=NW7rrRrda0i2Send2oyg9g&s=19

wwe could not have chosen a better time to be on absolute fire than during this contract renewal season. These numbers they're getting is insane in 2023

roman's gonna beat bruno's reign

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Alaois posted:

Cant believe a guy is getting over and all he had to do was steal every mannerism from both The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin at the same time

dont be jealous or player hate in this thread

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Alaois posted:

Let's see if it goes better for him than Ken Anderson.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
I was at a brewery last summer and nxt was on a tv and one of my friends asked "hey, you like wrestling, do you watch this league" and i was so embarassed beyond belief

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Holy hell La Knight really does sound like the Rock.

He should beat Roman at Mania

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Plenty of people try and crib from The Rock and Stone Cold simultaneously but very few people make it work and somehow LA Knight has gotten the closest, so honestly, good for him.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Yeah with numbers like these I don't blame them for doing what they're doing currently. Seems like not only is it a big hit wit their audience but its growing it as well

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
A bunch of Rock's stuff was stolen from other guys, also. The roody poo candy rear end thing came from King Parsons, jabroni was an industry term before the Rock was out of grade school.

Complaining about gimmick theft in pro wrestling is silly. Every generation of guys cribs from the previous, there's been 3 Nature Boys. Hell if it weren't for gimmick/angle theft, Kevin Nash, who has been vocal about the comparison wouldn't have done nearly as well. WCW already hosed up with Hall & Nash once separate, I doubt them being bigger stars elsewhere would have made a difference.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 11, 2023

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

sleep with the vicious posted:

I was at a brewery last summer and nxt was on a tv and one of my friends asked "hey, you like wrestling, do you watch this league" and i was so embarassed beyond belief

Did you tell them "Only during the playoffs"?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
What's Cody Rhodes up to recently? All I know is he beat Dominik at the last pape

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

SG Bamboo posted:

YEEEEAAAHHHH

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

MorningMoon posted:

What's Cody Rhodes up to recently? All I know is he beat Dominik at the last pape

I'll give you one guess who he's dealing with again and I'll give you a hint:

His name rhymes with Smock Smesnar.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Vandar posted:

I'll give you one guess who he's dealing with again and I'll give you a hint:

His name rhymes with Smock Smesnar.

hahah love that Smesnar, hope C*dy heroically taps and cries

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
He’s finishing the story

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Cthulu Carl posted:

Did you tell them "Only during the playoffs"?

I said no and changed the topic as fast as i could, because it was during that period there was like a schoolgirl doll(?) Themed SuperstarTM on NXT and they all were laughing about it, and me being a wrestling nerd needs to be kept deep in the shadows full of shame like god intended

Dick Swiveller
Mar 2, 2011

Who was the last wrestler in the mens division in the WWE who the crowd were majority behind and this led not only to a big moment but also a sustained change in status of the wrestler to "this guy is a big deal"?

I say mens division because through grapevine poo poo I gather they're a little better at establishing women. Could be wrong on this.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Dick Swiveller posted:

Who was the last wrestler in the mens division in the WWE who the crowd were majority behind and this led not only to a big moment but also a sustained change in status of the wrestler to "this guy is a big deal"?

I say mens division because through grapevine poo poo I gather they're a little better at establishing women. Could be wrong on this.

Women in the WWE only get established in order to get fed to Charlotte, Ronda, or Bianca.

sleep with the vicious posted:

I said no and changed the topic as fast as i could, because it was during that period there was like a schoolgirl doll(?) Themed SuperstarTM on NXT and they all were laughing about it, and me being a wrestling nerd needs to be kept deep in the shadows full of shame like god intended

She was a Japanese schoolgirl who had an honest to god magic amulet that turned her into a magical girl when she made her entrance and it's just as awful as it sounds.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Roman's a draw brother. at least compared to all the other jobbers, geeks and olds on the roster.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

You’d hope so when the whole company is centered around making you look good.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The thing about "making Roman look good." is:

When he inevitably wins, the discourse isn't "Wow! Roman won! Look at how good and powerful and cool and good and handsome he is."
it's
"Yawn. Roman won. Again." or sometimes "Look at how badly WWE is treating {opponent}"

Which neither elevates the opponent, nor makes Roman look good.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Vandar posted:

Women in the WWE only get established in order to get fed to Charlotte, Ronda, or Bianca.

She was a Japanese schoolgirl who had an honest to god magic amulet that turned her into a magical girl when she made her entrance and it's just as awful as it sounds.

I like their version better, a doll that transforms into a real wrestler through magic has potential. Potential to sell a lot of dolls! :D

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

SG Bamboo posted:

The answer to having Roman go over The Rock at Mania has been in front of them the entire time.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

dromal phrenia posted:

I like their version better, a doll that transforms into a real wrestler through magic has potential. Potential to sell a lot of dolls! :D

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1424900356769828868

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love

apophenium posted:

I don't watch WWE but I like when the LA Knight says Yeah :)

I also like it when he says Yeah! :)

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

the sex ghost posted:

Yeah as in 'ples turn it off' lmao

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Stand Up For WWE

You monster, you've seen the demographics and know that would kill many of them.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

An Taoiseach posted:

I also like it when he says Yeah! :)

:yeah:

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello

Gavok posted:

"They like Sami, they like Kevin, one poster seems to LOVE the ugly neck tattoo man. What more do they want?”

From a few pages back I know I just wanted to say in this scenario Freakin is Poochie

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Rarity posted:

Somebody once told me Tony was gonna blow me
And the Elite would all poo poo the bed
Kenny looking like a clog got bitten for a dog
Mox will bleed out all the way till he's dead

Well the rating's dropping and it don't stop dropping
The numbers in freefall your promotion is flopping
Booking's nonsense there's no sense of fun
Just for the smarks that is really dumb
Too much to learn, the history
So where's all the vid recaps for me?
I'll never know, won't have a go
I'll never try watching the show

But wow, you got five stars, Omega and Ospreay
But wow, though you're not stars, you're getting buy rates
Time to work up North instead
Only real stars in the Fed

It's a cold world but Eddie doesn't matter
He's bundled up now, but still he gets fatter
Here's the Young Bucks, time for another botch
Judging by the time, you could set your watch
Are they really pushing the Dark Order?
Nothing on Earth could make us more boreder
It's a trashfire, a poo poo parade
That's the way I like it, drinking Hayterade

Only real stars

Somebody once asked is Maxwell on the for gas?
He needs to get himself out of this place
He'll say, "Yup", bidding war
The biggest thing in twenty twenty four
You can have Cody back in exchange

Well the rating's dropping and it don't stop dropping
The numbers in freefall your promotion is flopping
Booking's nonsense there's no sense of fun
Just for the smarks that is really dumb
Too much to learn, the history
So where's all the vid recaps for me?
I'll never know, won't have a go
I'll never try watching the show

I always enjoy a good “Casey at bat” joke. Thank you.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I think it’s a lot more simple. WWE has an extremely talented roster, they don’t have a Danielson, Okada, or Omega but they do have enough guys right under that level and the storylines are finally coherent, if a little simple.

They have lots of guys on top now and they’re all interacting with each other, no more feud islands and harsh divisions between the mid card and upper card. The Usos were always very popular with kids and they’ve grown into more adult oriented characters along with their fans, and say what you will about your bucks and FTRs but the Usos are a top level team who can work the gently caress out of a tag match, they are the backbone of this Bloodline poo poo. Solo has been a great addition and Heyman is there but not over exposed as he was with Lesnar.

It’s simple and it’s working, and I am entertained. AEW and WWE all have a lot to love right now, even if I currently prefer WWE’s direction its a good time to be a fan.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I hated that gimmick so loving much but apparently those dolls sold like crazy.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

dromal phrenia posted:

I hated that gimmick so loving much but apparently those dolls sold like crazy.

Well yeah kids love wwe and kids love dolls so make a wwe doll and bingo bango

Also creepy Alexa twitter people probably bought about a billion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Eat My Fuc posted:

they do have enough guys right under that level

Uhh you're gonna have to name those guys right under the level of Okada, Omega and Danielson.

Because holy gently caress

E: and I'm not saying all their workers are dog poo poo, of course they aren't. They hoarded all the western talent for a couple of decades, there's bound to be good workers in there that are just used and booked like poo poo. But "enough guys right under the level of two guys who have a credible claim as the greatest of all time" is a hell of a bar.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 11, 2023