Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

smug jeebus posted:

It's what Texas deserves

people complain about californians, but the most awful transplants I've met here were a couple from boca raton. I thought it may just be an anomaly, but I went to their wedding and all of their guests there were just awful, annoying, petty people. I now assume everyone from that area of Florida is like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Morbus posted:

ah, but that means the nominal price of cars and homes will fall!

haha good one

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CmeYISne7U

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

shrike82 posted:

the irony is that china's aging much faster than the US - i think their median age passed the US recently

soon they will be bankrupt taking care of their olds

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

biceps crimes posted:

people complain about californians, but the most awful transplants I've met here were a couple from boca raton. I thought it may just be an anomaly, but I went to their wedding and all of their guests there were just awful, annoying, petty people. I now assume everyone from that area of Florida is like that

that's fair

that's more than fair

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

RadiRoot posted:

usa life expectancy number go down 🤣

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

biceps crimes posted:

can confirm that boca contains the absolute regressive dregs of society. it's all the folks who couldn't make it up north, moved south to be w their loaded parents, and managed to raise some kids and scrape together cash for a house. anyone outside the wildly lucky wealthy got forced out.

there's some dude that's still driving up and down A1A w a car decked out w trump signs

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I won't automatically assume you're a bad person just because you live in Florida, but I definitely will if you willingly move there.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

shrike82 posted:

the irony is that china's aging much faster than the US - i think their median age passed the US recently

not if you look at white people / non-immigrants. whites in america have a much, vastly, worse age pyramid

it's onlyt because of hispanic/latino immigrants that it's lower. which libs want to stop

also

RadiRoot posted:

usa life expectancy number go down 🤣

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Having been to Florida multiple times in my life I would infinitely rather live in the eastern Floridian coast than the western. The Tampa suburbs are among the worst places in America.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

not news, old. just thinking about billionaires dying

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Real hurthling! posted:

there is absolutely no way someone involved didn't nudge the scales here

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
it was me. I cut off the billionaires dick and then laughed about it

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
did his dick implode?

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
the latest chapo on male penis enlargement surgery was very sad. just hundreds, thousands, of dudes permanently disfiguring and breaking their dicks with Penuma implant surgery. some just filled with pus and constantly infected and forming voids

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

Thinkin' about that sub...

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

:glomp:

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Xaris posted:

the latest chapo on male penis enlargement surgery was very sad. just hundreds, thousands, of dudes permanently disfiguring and breaking their dicks with Penuma implant surgery. some just filled with pus and constantly infected and forming voids

hmm wish there was a reverse glomp

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Xaris posted:

the twist that the one guy has a perfectly average penis :shepface:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Penuma's a pretty good name lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

holefoods posted:

the twist that the one guy has a perfectly average penis :shepface:
i think it was the same guy who was 6-6.5 inch already and had kids already... like what the gently caress

american males are insanely hosed in the head. just a whole country full of elliot rodgers

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
honestly its so loving funny that people would want to get surgery to have a bigger flaccid dong

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

highly likely that if someone is seeing your flaccid dong that they want to see it even less than you don’t want them to see it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm pretty sure that a shitload of the people with complexes over their penis are at worst perfectly average. The actual size is an irrelevant detail when you got the sheer frothing insanity of toxic masculinity and everything tied up with it.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
my dick is the perfect size i've heard. for one billion dollars someone can have it though, i'd be fine with a smaller-than-wanted dick

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Deactivating Threads Means Meta Can Still Build Your Profile

quote:

Meta’s new copycat app, Threads, is amassing a huge number of user sign-ups, thanks to its integration with Instagram.

The Instagram-to-Threads link allowed users to make the process of joining a new social media platform a frictionless affair, even allowing users to bring over their follower base, which many observers feel was key at a time when, by various degrees, people have social media fatigue.

The case is the opposite if you want to leave. If you had chosen to sign up using your Instagram account, you’ll only be able to delete your Threads account if you also delete your Instagram account. It’s artificial friction employed by Meta to keep users on the platform – like an arrow you can’t pull out because of the barbs.

Meta is only giving users the ability to deactivate their account. The problem with merely deactivating an account is that Meta can continue to collect your data via third party websites, your device, and other Meta apps, among other ways, and connect all of that to your Threads profile.

Forbes described what Facebook calls “Off Facebook Activity” tracking as “a harmless sounding description for a nefarious ecosystem that embeds trackers behind third-party apps and websites as they profile users.”

Your Threads profile is built up even as it’s deactivated, ready to be served ads or content that the algorithm believes is best for you when you return.

As one expert, behavioral scientist and disinformation researcher from University of Maryland Caroline Orr Bueno, described it, the move feels like Meta keeping your Instagram account hostage, something which she has never heard of.

Orr Bueno also linked to a 2019 CNET article that reported how you were still being tracked even after you’ve deactivated, a practice that Facebook doesn’t explicitly explain, and which may be “deceptive.”

“It makes sense to deactivate your account if you’re trying to hide from people online because other users won’t see your profile, posts and previous comments. You’re essentially invisible to everyone on the social network. Except Facebook. It does nothing to prevent Facebook from collecting data on you,” CNET’s Alfred Ng wrote.

A Wired article compared what Meta’s Threads collects – based on Apple’s App Store privacy labels – to competitors like Twitter, Bluesky, Mastodon and others. Meta’s list of the data it collects is, by a mile, longer than any of the other services.

Seeing the comparisons were surprising in that we’re under the impression that almost any service we sign up for is going to collect our data, but Meta’s operations, just based on that comparison, is on another scale.

Wired wrote, “Threads (Android, Apple) potentially collects a wide assortment of personal data that remains connected to you, based on the information available in Apple’s App Store, from your purchase history and physical address to your browsing history and health information.”

The app also collects what is labeled as “Sensitive information” which could include “your race, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, and religion as well as your biometric data.”

Not even TikTok collects as much, based on Apple’s privacy labels. YouTube has a long list too, but it doesn’t appear to collect sensitive information. Facebook and Instagram collect the same kind of data as Threads.

Go through Wired’s list, and nothing’s as extensive as what a Meta app collects. What does that tell us? A social media app can likely function without being so intrusive. Some people already have the attitude, “well, all my data is already out there anyway.” That maybe shouldn’t be the case, and that might only be a normalization because we’ve learned to accept that that’s how Meta and Google – surveillance capitalism’s two biggest giants – have done it.

On a related note, if all that data is with Facebook, what’s to stop it from sharing that data to be used against a user? In 2022, a mother and daughter in Nebraska in the US faced criminal charges for allegedly carrying out an illegal abortion. Their cause wasn’t helped by Facebook, which handed over data, including chat messages, when Nebraska police requested it through a warrant.

What this also tells us is that Threads is still a Meta app, working under the same algorithms and business models despite firm evidence of its harms. It’s just business as usual for Zuckerberg, who capitalized on Elon Musk’s, erm, creative destruction of Twitter.

Threads presents another “oil well” of data for Meta, with the Twitter-like app encouraging different behaviors from users, and hence, producing a set of different data points compared to Facebook and Instagram.

And that is extremely valuable for a surveillance capitalist magnate like Meta. Another source of data helps Meta create a more detailed version of user profiles that lead to more accurate targeted ads, which are therefore more valuable to advertisers, at the expense of our privacy.

Threads currently has no ads, but unsurprisingly, there are plans for that. Zuckerberg has expressed that he’d like to reach critical mass before deciding that this could be monetized.

At its current pace, not accounting for launch hype, Threads has the potential to reach that figure, amassing 100 million users in 5 days, and anyone who’s attached to their Instagram account, and made a Threads account on a whim or out of curiosity, are in for the ride, with no realistic choice to opt out.

Meta has said it’s looking to eventually give users a way to delete their Threads account without deleting their Instagram account. When might that come? Business-wise, only when they’re sure users are attached to Threads already.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

It’s absolutely amazing the amount of money rich people have still. I’m traveling around Italy and we went and did some shopping, there were ppl people walking around Rome carrying bags upon bags of Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Hermes etc and they were mostly Americans.

Now we’re in Amalfi coast and we went to a Michelin restaurant and sat next to a family of 6 from Virginia. We overheard they were staying at the most expensive hotel in Positano/Amalfi coast for three weeks and they do it every year. Grandpa kept saying they’d be back the next two weeks for dinner. The hotel is at least $4k a night per room so at least 2-3 rooms (grandparents + their family of 4). Outside of a very bling watch and a pair of LV loafers they didn’t come off as super rich.

Tax the loving rich already.

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

biceps crimes posted:

uninterrupted posted:

can confirm that boca contains the absolute regressive dregs of society. it's all the folks who couldn't make it up north, moved south to be w their loaded parents, and managed to raise some kids and scrape together cash for a house. anyone outside the wildly lucky wealthy got forced out.

there's some dude that's still driving up and down A1A w a car decked out w trump signs

we need to wall off the acela corridor so it can't spread to the rest of the country. people from the northeast are manageable in their natural habitat but turn into an invasive species let loose anywhere else

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

vox you need to see this its funny as hell!!!

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Stereotype posted:

my dick is the perfect size i've heard. for one billion dollars someone can have it though, i'd be fine with a smaller-than-wanted dick

https://mydickband.bandcamp.com/album/my-dicks-double-full-length-release?from=com-nr

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

Glumwheels posted:

It’s absolutely amazing the amount of money rich people have still. I’m traveling around Italy and we went and did some shopping, there were ppl people walking around Rome carrying bags upon bags of Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Hermes etc and they were mostly Americans.

Now we’re in Amalfi coast and we went to a Michelin restaurant and sat next to a family of 6 from Virginia. We overheard they were staying at the most expensive hotel in Positano/Amalfi coast for three weeks and they do it every year. Grandpa kept saying they’d be back the next two weeks for dinner. The hotel is at least $4k a night per room so at least 2-3 rooms (grandparents + their family of 4). Outside of a very bling watch and a pair of LV loafers they didn’t come off as super rich.

Ah yes, those rich people are the worst. Not me though, I’m just an average Joe who travels to Italy and eats at Michelin restaurants.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm pretty sure that a shitload of the people with complexes over their penis are at worst perfectly average. The actual size is an irrelevant detail when you got the sheer frothing insanity of toxic masculinity and everything tied up with it.

Dick insecurity to men is what anorexia/bulemia is to women.

Has nothing to do with any actually existing physical properties in 95%+ of all cases and is instead all about self-image, insecurity and/or trauma.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

UKJeff posted:

Ah yes, those rich people are the worst. Not me though, I’m just an average Joe who travels to Italy and eats at Michelin restaurants.

This your first time reading a Glumwheels post? The person is an anti-self awareness generator.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Lol

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

tax the roch? dont you know how much VAT they pay on those vacations?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Glumwheels posted:

lmfao

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

It's still a Zuckerberg joint, yes

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
so is shrike or Glumwheels richer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Orange Devil posted:

Dick insecurity to men is what anorexia/bulemia is to women.

Has nothing to do with any actually existing physical properties in 95%+ of all cases and is instead all about self-image, insecurity and/or trauma.

wow such thinphobic comments