Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

So not goons, then? :v:

Unless poo poo has changed dramatically (which it might have) being a weird goon shouldn't be a barrier to teaching private English lessons. It's just that the clientele would also be weird, socially inept people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Blah blah blah, cost of living, life in Asia, whatever insights.blog

Eat a bowl of cold soba, use the bidet to hose your butt, then soak in an onsen. #1 way to relax.

Bidet, onsen, and bath culture and designs needs to spread to the rest of the world!

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Wonton posted:

But Shinkansen ain’t cheap and once you are living in japan you rather fly LCC or to Neighboring countries instead of another city.
Uh what, domestic tourism is huge

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Living in Japan or any other country just means changing one set of problems for another.

Which set of problems are you more willing to put up with?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

the gooniest move of all is devoting 22 posts to something the OP didn't even say

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
You all got Twitter in my SA thread.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

olives black posted:

Japan's at the top of my list for places to relocate, and I just want to be on my best behavior since I'm from a country (U.S.) that's notorious for being... well, the U.S. :kiddo:

Knowing your posts?

If you or anyone else is looking to relocate to Japan of all places, because they think the US has become too entrenched in conservativism, then I have some real, real bad news for you.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zmcnulty posted:

the gooniest move of all is devoting 22 posts to something the OP didn't even say

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
The Knot hotel in Hiroshima is great- close proximity to the historical sites, nice reception area and lounge on the 14th floor with cool succulents in the windows, and affordable (sub-$100). Very good tempura at Suehiro a few minutes walk away, and the avocado-(real)wasabi appetizer was sublime.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Y’all this is the tourism/travel thread, if you want to argue about Japanese politics and living then take it elsewhere. Plenty of other places to have that slap fight. Knock it off.

totalnewbie posted:

Which set of problems are you more willing to put up with?

In my case, apparently mushi-atsui :v:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So after several of us getting up at 6am and having the Ghibli Park ticketing page crash on two of us who got good spots in the online queue and be sent to the back, we were able to get 2pm Grand Warehouse slots and nothing else.

Is there any reason to show up well before our ticket time, like outside of the ticketed areas are there things to do/see or mostly just some forested areas?

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

Is there any reason to show up well before our ticket time, like outside of the ticketed areas are there things to do/see or mostly just some forested areas?

There are some statues around the area but probably only takes 30 mins to wander around and see them all. The park surrounding it has some decent playgrounds but I don't think you mentioned bringing children. There is a ceramics museum at the next stop along the monorail line where you can get a pottery sculpting lesson in Japanese.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

teddust posted:

There are some statues around the area but probably only takes 30 mins to wander around and see them all. The park surrounding it has some decent playgrounds but I don't think you mentioned bringing children. There is a ceramics museum at the next stop along the monorail line where you can get a pottery sculpting lesson in Japanese.
Ohhh pottery sounds fun! Although our Japanese is pretty limited.

Good to know we don't need to arrive super early at least, a bit more time to get some sleep after a day trip to Naoshima the day before!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

slinkimalinki posted:

Unless poo poo has changed dramatically (which it might have) being a weird goon shouldn't be a barrier to teaching private English lessons. It's just that the clientele would also be weird, socially inept people.

Slink knows well

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Ohhh pottery sounds fun! Although our Japanese is pretty limited.

Good to know we don't need to arrive super early at least, a bit more time to get some sleep after a day trip to Naoshima the day before!

You are coming in on a Monday though, right. So the pottery place is closed. I'm sorry I'm trying to be helpful but failing in every way.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

So after several of us getting up at 6am and having the Ghibli Park ticketing page crash on two of us who got good spots in the online queue and be sent to the back, we were able to get 2pm Grand Warehouse slots and nothing else.

congrats ha!
I tried to get tickets. Logged on early. But by the time I got on, everything was nearly sold out. But specifically the days that we could make work. Oh well.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

It's kind of a blessing to not get tickets to most parks and many cafe events in Japan. None of them are really worth it relative to just doing other stuff. "Oh.. no.. the Pokemon Cafe is sold out. Oh... no.. they fully booked the Harry Potter Cafe."

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 10, 2023

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Shammypants posted:

It's kind of a blessing to not get tickets to most parks in Japan. None of them are really worth it relative to just doing other stuff.

I get that. I've been before and liked it a lot. I'm traveling with 3 girls from 8-14 tho. They would have loved it.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
They have a separate pool of tickets they provide to travel agencies to sell so you could always check there as well.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Does anyone have a favorite nice, modern atmosphere restaurant in Kyoto to recommend (6-15k/pp)? Big fan of outdoor / terrace / rooftop dining, but everything else I’ve found looks like it’s just a bar. Love fusion and creative modern food as a bonus. Cicon Rooftop looks perfect, with Mexican-Japanese fusion which seems like the best possible cuisine to me.

I really remember and enjoy the atmosphere of restaurants more than the food… which seems to be the opposite of traditional Japanese fine dining. The really fancy like Michelin type traditional cuisine places in Japan also seem entirely to have pretty basic interior atmospheres that focus exclusively on the food, even in places like the new Bulgari hotel in Tokyo.

Same question for Tokyo (esp Shibuya area) for outdoor / rooftop / terrace / good view dining, but there I haven’t looked as much so might be missing something obvious.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Check restaurants along the Kamogawa river, there'll be a bunch of rooftop style ones. I can't think of specific ones off the top of my head unfortunately.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I went to Cicon just after they opened, but whelp, just for the bar, so I can't comment on the food. For atmosphere though it's definitely gnarly.

In Tokyo, a handful of places we like:
Hacienda del Cielo
two rooms
TY Harbor
6th by Oriental Hotel
Namiki 667

You'll want reservations for any of those.

Because of the costs involved, restaurants of this sort are usually run by fairly large hospitality companies, so you can also click through their portfolios for other options.
https://www.global-dining.com/shoplist/ (Global Dining famously sued Tokyo government for 104 yen during COVID when ordered to reduce their operating hours... and won)
https://www.huge.co.jp/restaurant
https://www.mothersgroup.jp/shop/
https://www.tysons.jp/restaurant

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
For kyoto I liked Haafu

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Q9rWsznrP2xGEjNu8?g_st=ic

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

teddust posted:

You are coming in on a Monday though, right. So the pottery place is closed. I'm sorry I'm trying to be helpful but failing in every way.
No worries! We've hit a few "this place is closed on Monday, and this place is closed on Tuesday, but they're both in the same area and too far out of the way to justify by themselves" snags for other events. Just another excuse to have another return trip in a few years' time with some planned activities in the bag!

deong posted:

congrats ha!
I tried to get tickets. Logged on early. But by the time I got on, everything was nearly sold out. But specifically the days that we could make work. Oh well.
Somehow the process was even worse than trying to get Eurovision tickets on Ticketmaster! At least there it was just a slow and non-informative queue, rather than "Oh you hit the front of the queue but our site is messed up, so you have to go to the back of the queue."

Shammypants posted:

It's kind of a blessing to not get tickets to most parks and many cafe events in Japan. None of them are really worth it relative to just doing other stuff. "Oh.. no.. the Pokemon Cafe is sold out. Oh... no.. they fully booked the Harry Potter Cafe."
Yeah like honestly, a little part of me was thinking we could actually probably have a nicer time if we don't get in, but this was my partner's special birthday treat and she adores Ghibli movies so I have to try! If anything, this gives us more time to check out the Nagoya Science Museum that she seemed quite interested in.

I saw travel agencies had tickets a while back for the Park but it was only part of a full travel and hotel deal. If I remember right from a long time back, the Ghibli Museum in Tokyo was a bit easier to get a ticket via an agency for so I might pay the middleman tax just to take the stress and early mornings out of that!

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Wonton posted:

I agree with what saladman is saying, but I like to add one major difference about life in japan cities versus North America/Australias - japan is a lot less car depended and a lot easier (albeit still not cheap) getting around. The post ww2 suburbia with cul de sacs and lawn, is so expensive and excessive to maintain and you need to drive 15-25 minutes for each trip is crazy. Hey nice spacious bathrooms and space to spend the panedmic though!

This is more of a bias of tourists only visiting the major cities like Tokyo and Osaka and not needing a car and assuming the whole country must be like that. It'd be like someone visiting NY or Boston and saying the public transit is great in the United States and of course you don't need a car!

Once you leave the major cities, you may find yourself wanting a car very quickly and will have a very, very reduced quality of life without one.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Original_Z posted:

This is more of a bias of tourists only visiting the major cities like Tokyo and Osaka and not needing a car and assuming the whole country must be like that. It'd be like someone visiting NY or Boston and saying the public transit is great in the United States and of course you don't need a car!

Once you leave the major cities, you may find yourself wanting a car very quickly and will have a very, very reduced quality of life without one.

To be fair to Japan, mediocre public transport outside of major urban centers is pretty typical of countries whose names don’t start with a "Switz" and end with an "erland". Like regional public transport in Italy and France is also pretty lol bad. Even in Switzerland everyone ends up getting a car per household once they have children.

What the US (and many other parts of the Americas more generally) doesn’t have is a decent land-based intercity system either. Japan Honshu and California are basically the same size right? You can get from Hiroshima to Hakodate a lot more easily… although I guess then the problem is the price is so lol expensive you’re going to fly instead of take the train. But at least you can get between Osaka and Tokyo easily by train, which is not the case for getting from LA to SF.

The other big difference (at least for Europe, not sure if the case for small city Japan) is that I can do my grocery shopping and daily errands without using my car. Weekends would be boring and nights would be annoying without a car, but I only go with a car like once a month to buy heavier groceries, and on a normal basis can just stop on my way to/from work. I live in a town of 15k that is about 15 km from a city of 150k.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 11, 2023

Famine Poodle
Jul 16, 2011

I have seen all, I have heard all, I have forgotten all.
Hi thread!

I'm planning on a Japan trip next year in late January or early February and have some flexibility but would like to start getting things booked. I really want to see the JoJo musical at the Imperial Theatre in Tokyo but there's no info yet other than "February."

Does anyone know typically how far in advance the Imperial releases exact dates to the public, how far in advance tickets are available to buy, and the best way for a foreigner to nab some?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I got accepted to live and work on some remote farms near Yasugi. I had NO plans to go to Japan a month ago, but now it's looking like i'll be there for 2 months. I'll be spending 1 month working and will have lodging and everything else taken care of by the org and then will be spending a month traveling. For now though I'm just trying to get my flight and train booked.

I need to be in Yasugi by Sept 5th, so I was looking at flying out of Portland, OR Sept 1 and arrive in Tokyo Sept 2nd that night, sleep over night and spend a day or two in Tokyo and take the Sunrise Izumo to Yasugi the night of Sept 3 or 4 (but leaves after midnight?).

JPRail says I can book a Nobi Nobi seat in advanced, and I'm planing on bringing my camping air pad anyway. There's no other way to upgrade to a private room unless I hope for some availability to upgrade at the station?

Just want to make sure this all looks correct. I'll have more questions, but literally got accepted yesterday to this program.

I guess also i don't need a 7 day JR pass, only a 1 day until I'm traveling around in oct. Trying to find just a one day over night train ticket.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 19, 2023

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Yeah it seems like you can only change your space after you get your pass at the station. I don't know how popular the route is so you might get lucky.

Anyway it seems like a cool trip and I hope you enjoy it!

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Farming is cool but watch out for the mosquitoes and giant fuckoff spiders and hornets

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I grew up in Kentucky. I am nails.

I might fly if I can't get a single one way ticket since it's probably on the same level price wise as a 7 day JR pass.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

cheese eats mouse posted:

I grew up in Kentucky. I am nails.

I might fly if I can't get a single one way ticket since it's probably on the same level price wise as a 7 day JR pass.

Asian giant hornets will surprise you.

There is no reason at all for you to be considering a JR pass. A single trip is not worth it and then October is when the price nearly doubles and makes them 100% useless unless you're planning to take a LOT of shinkansen trips.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 19, 2023

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

We’ve booked flights and hotels for the end of May and I’m still weighing up picking up the rail pass option even after the price increase.

I was gonna just pitch up in Osaka the whole time and travel out from there, but I decided to change it up and book the return flights from Tokyo so we’re gonna do the last week there while I hopefully get the tattoo appointment I’m still aiming to line up.

If Osaka->Tokyo one way was the only trip it’s obviously lol no, but we were already thinking about heading down to Hiroshima to see the peace museum and parks and if we’re doing that then maybe we could look at other places a little further out, and if we do that then maybe the pass isn’t such a bad idea depending on how many places we decide to hit.

What other big cities would be worth scouting out for things to see while we’re riding around if we were gonna just go balls out on the train for 7 days?

We’re mostly into looking around museums and parks and temples, we got out to Ushiku to see the daibutsu when we were in Tokyo and that was a big hit so if there’s anything else like that we ought to catch I’d be interested in knowing!

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Are you trying to get booked with Horimitsu? Jealous if you are.

Kyoto is famous for its pottery along with Hagi which is about 2 hours from Hiroshima. I’m biased though bc my trip focus will be on crafts

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Are you trying to get booked with Horimitsu? Jealous if you are.

Kyoto is famous for its pottery along with Hagi which is about 2 hours from Hiroshima. I’m biased though bc my trip focus will be on crafts

I sure am.

I got a yokai piece from Ganji at Tokyo Three Tides last trip, this time I wanna get one of Horimitsu’s tigers.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

History Comes Inside! posted:

I sure am.

I got a yokai piece from Ganji at Tokyo Three Tides last trip, this time I wanna get one of Horimitsu’s tigers.

We are also trying to get in last minute with him. I’d love a pottery tiger.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Have you considered a normal shinkansen/express ticket instead of the sleeper train? No need to reserve in advance, leaves frequently, costs around 21,000 yen. Maybe stop over in Osaka or Okayama on the way.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
How long are you going to be in Osaka? You could potentially use the 7 day and take a day trip almost every day. Exhausting but could definitely take you to some interesting places like kanazawa, fukui, hikone, etc. I wouldn't necessarily do that, preferring to stay overnight in those cities, but you could.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

We’re there for 2 weeks and that’s another point making me lean into the idea, we’d have a light week of nearby stuff and then a week of just going hard on transit to see some sights before hitting Tokyo and having another week to decompress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
How realistic are the train transfer times on Navitime? I only remember that Shinjuku station is a nightmare labyrinth but I can’t remember much of Shin Osaka station and I’ve never been to Nagoya station before.

I’m worried it might be cutting some transfers quite fine so I’m thinking I’ll need to manually plan out the transfer adding in a bunch of extra leeway for finding our way around.