Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Tesseraction posted:

Ooh nice, another Goan. Although as said previous I'm only half so stolen glory tbh.

Born there, but not Indian (though I think I could claim the nationality) - parents were doing the whole hippy thing. Did live there from age 3 to 9, and as we were full time residents went to school there unlike the rest of the European kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
I just had BBC News on in the background and I guess there was another part from the parent's statement doubling down yesterday. Yesterday they said they said an hour long meeting with the BBC and were mad they did nothing, but in the first version of The Sun coverage, they said the BBC never got in contact with them.

Also, that "the presenter is in our child's head" and that's why he issued a denial. Surely his lawyers would have looked at this properly too?

Whole thing seems loving weird but I feel like it's pointing more and more to "estranged parents wanted a bung" to my ear.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

As suggested, I do increasingly suspect that this is all a trans issue. It would explain the inconsistencies in the reported gender of the "young person", and I can very easily imagine that parents who are estranged from their child because they refuse to accept their gender transition would get 100% uncritical support from our transphobic press, especially when it means they can demonise a BBC figure who supported the transition in some way.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Yeah I’m leaning towards kid was on only fans, presenter was subscribing , parents found out and have been shaking him down for $$$ and it’s now gone tits up

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

With all the fever over the past few days, how do all the "BBC needs a long hard look at itself" types react if this turns out they were right in May to do bugger all with the complaint?

Oh they continue to double down because nothing matters? Sounds right.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Might not even be onlyfans, if they were transitioning and reaching out for community then it could have been a completely nonsexual "me 12 months ago vs me now" photo that was interpreted as sexual or grooming because transphobia rots your brain and is 99% based around sexual hangups.

https://twitter.com/SmonkingFags/status/1678199749663506432

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
I think it's fantastic that, not only did huw edwards donate muscle to a young trans man's bottom surgery, but that he sent pics of the choicest cuts to choose from, before sending the transphobe parents a turd wrapped in a welsh flag that was clearly labelled as such but, sadly for the parents, labelled exclusively in welsh

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Spangly A posted:

I think it's fantastic that, not only did huw edwards donate muscle to a young trans man's bottom surgery, but that he sent pics of the choicest cuts to choose from, before sending the transphobe parents a turd wrapped in a welsh flag that was clearly labelled as such but, sadly for the parents, labelled exclusively in welsh

This seems like the most practical interpretation of events to me.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The timing of all of this feels a little weaponised, and has taken the focus off of the Osborne email.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

fuctifino posted:

The timing of all of this feels a little weaponised, and has taken the focus off of the Osborne email.

It definitely feels coordinated but I don't think anyone expect the kid to lawyer up and respond and they'd just be able to go about it like normal. The second parental statement definitely feels like a scramble.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Betjeman posted:

Apparently calling a wood louse a pea bug is something only people from north-west Kent do.

A country of madmen tbh

haakman
May 5, 2011
Applied for a job via the google listing of jobs. Said 40-60k. Go for interview, nothing mentioned. Get offered. Contract says 25k. Dammit internet!

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Bobson Dugnutts

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NoneMoreNegative posted:

A country of madmen tbh

They have played us for absolute fools, etc.

No wonder you have so many names for them if there's a 150km long one just chilling there in the North Sea

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

kecske posted:

Bobson Dugnutts

She Bobs on my Dog until I Nutts

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A good two thirds of those sound like niche sectarian or factional slurs that gradually worked their way into English like Tory did.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

haakman posted:

Applied for a job via the google listing of jobs. Said 40-60k. Go for interview, nothing mentioned. Get offered. Contract says 25k. Dammit internet!

Was pay not discussed in the interview? Especially if the advert had a range listed.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Failed Imagineer posted:

They have played us for absolute fools, etc.

No wonder you have so many names for them if there's a 150km long one just chilling there in the North Sea

The great dogger bank slater.

Edit: North Sea Slater was right there... :negative:

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jul 11, 2023

haakman
May 5, 2011

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Was pay not discussed in the interview? Especially if the advert had a range listed.

Not at all. I think it may have just been a mistake when posting the job - I twigged when they were absolutely jumping to hire me despite applying after the cutoff. Note to self: check salary straight away.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

have you asked them why the offer is so low? lot of places will offer bottom of the band by default and it's up to you to go "erm, no, hang on"

a 35k difference does point towards it either being some kind of mistake or some insanely nebulous job role though

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

A country of madmen tbh

lol

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I can already tell that Crunchy Bats is a name with a horrifying origin. :gonk:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I can already tell that Crunchy Bats is a name with a horrifying origin. :gonk:

Ozzy Osbourne would like a word.

Meanwhile:

What an utterly disgraceful response from the Home Office.

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1678695244919984129?s=20

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Honestly all the twists in this story make the mum sound worse and worse. She showed up at the BBC to complain, they took her details and she never replied to them and then two months later she went to the Sun.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
What was the original source of the rear end pic, is it real or AI generated?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I want to try this Threads thing but it's only a phone app not a browser thing :(

I do most of my online yacking through the browser because phone keyboard does my head in & I have to retype everything 300 times because it insists on doing the letter or number next to the one I actually wanted, and wretched auto-correct. And also because I flick from proper work (spreadsheets, database etc, writing reports etc ) which can't be done properly on a phone without crippling your arms & the chatting.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I want to try this Threads thing but it's only a phone app not a browser thing :(

I do most of my online yacking through the browser because phone keyboard does my head in & I have to retype everything 300 times because it insists on doing the letter or number next to the one I actually wanted, and wretched auto-correct. And also because I flick from proper work (spreadsheets, database etc, writing reports etc ) which can't be done properly on a phone without crippling your arms & the chatting.

I'm a bit curious but the only thing I use my instagram account for is following interesting tattooists and I don't really want to yoke it into god-knows-what.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Note, Threads is currently available to people in the US and UK but not people in the EU.

Is this because of GDPR concerns?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

Note, Threads is currently available to people in the US and UK but not people in the EU.

Is this because of GDPR concerns?

Exactly that. It's a massive vaccuum for personal data.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

If you have an Instagram account you already have a threads account. That's kinda the big scandal. You don't really get a choice. It's how it took off so quickly. Shadow accounts were made for every insta account that you could already follow for threads.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Mebh posted:

If you have an Instagram account you already have a threads account. That's kinda the big scandal. You don't really get a choice. It's how it took off so quickly. Shadow accounts were made for every insta account that you could already follow for threads.
I'd made exactly one post on Instagram in the years I've had it, and now made exactly one post on Threads, so it's all balanced!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I hope it was to call zuck a shitebag

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

That's the giant marine isopod.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

haakman posted:

I would definitely query it. Either it's a mistake and you can get more money, or is a company of poor ethics. If it's the latter and you can afford to wait for another job, telling them you don't want to for a company you can't trust will at least be some level of satisfying.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1678754089167994882

Please please please

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Very accurate.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Found a conspiracy-style diagram that Paul Mason might understand about his attempts to be a Labour MP.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
UKMT Summer 2023 - Hugh Edwards arse is a myth

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

rachel "i don't look like a typical jew" *waves hand in front of nose*, riley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Someone was saying on twitter they wanted everyone to hurry up and choose whether we're all moving to Twitter But You Can't Swear or Twitter 2 But You Need An Invite.

I just want the admins to decide which one they're using for embeds, or work on a preview that uses the meta stuff on the header to create a thumbnail etc.