Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/stlouisfed/status/1678744760758968321?t=oOAFDtIpX8c5dsteqsrZmg&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Found it:

Bottom image is the signing of the 1901 Boxer Protocol, lol.

Those Chinese people are not in their 20s and 30s.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

The only reason they're mad at TikTok is because the US government isn't getting a slice of the data so they can more effectively monitor minorities and people with political opinions they don't like

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Orange Devil posted:

Dick insecurity to men is what anorexia/bulemia is to women.

Has nothing to do with any actually existing physical properties in 95%+ of all cases and is instead all about self-image, insecurity and/or trauma.

kinda like those dudes who inject synthol into their biceps and pecs until they look like ziploc bags full of water

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

just got charged 38 bucks for a small can of minwax spar urethane. local retail is a disaster

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Beached Whale posted:

The only reason they're mad at TikTok is because the US government isn't getting a slice of the data so they can more effectively monitor minorities and people with political opinions they don't like

I've posted about it before but in the same way that the US Huawei over security concerns because Huawei was pulling ahead of Intel / Qualcomm / Samsung, they hit TikTok over security concerns because TikTok was pulling ahead of Meta and other Western social media

it's the capitalist buying out the cops and having them bust up a rival rather than "compete fairly", on a global scale

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I thought palantir or some other notshady corp was maintaining the usa tiktok servers, did I dream that

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

double nine posted:

I thought palantir or some other notshady corp was maintaining the usa tiktok servers, did I dream that

TikTok moved all of its user data storage for the USA market to Oracle's cloud platform as of June 2022

that obviously has not stopped the government from scaremongering about it

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

oracle, that's the one.
pretty sure the alphabet companies have all the data they want

e: they don't have the algorighm which is commerical gold, I'm assuming that's what they want

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
That's the reason for moving it to oracle, yes

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

TikTok's super secret algorithm literally just shows you more of the stuff that you like watching. This is something that all of the American social media companies could easily do if they weren't run by silicon valley psychos with God complexes and didn't have 400 layers of useless middle managers who all want to put their stamp on the product.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

is pepsi ok posted:

TikTok's super secret algorithm literally just shows you more of the stuff that you like watching. This is something that all of the American social media companies could easily do if they weren't run by silicon valley psychos with God complexes and didn't have 400 layers of useless middle managers who all want to put their stamp on the product.

TikTok is fantastic for actually looking at content and seeing newer, interesting creators. American companies can't do this because they need to shove as much advertising and sponsored crap as possible into their services so they can juice the share price every quarter. It's really jarring to go from the limited amount of easily skippable ads on TikTok to something like Twitter which is a constant stream of crypto dude garbage.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

is pepsi ok posted:

there was a time when Twitter's "algorithm" was being leaked and it had all sorts of arcane bullshit like "replies are more valuable than likes" and "replies from people who don't already follow you are more valuable than replies from followers" and all that poo poo in an effort to "create engagement" or whatever the gently caress

compared to TikTok, which as far as I can tell maybe does attempt to throw you a curveball by showing a video that's only kinda-sorta related to what you already like (furniture restoration? how about electronics restoration? cute cats? how about cute dogs?), but it also backs the gently caress off if you don't like it

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Eric Cantonese posted:

Those Chinese people are not in their 20s and 30s.
Is that what people think when they see that? I always thought it was meant to illustrate a 30-50s/60-80s split (working age vs. retirement age)

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

double nine posted:

uhh palantir is the most shady and evil corp there is

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

just got charged 38 bucks for a small can of minwax spar urethane. local retail is a disaster

I've had to resort to mixing wood glue with sawdust for wood filler.

LIKE A PLEBE! wtf

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Knight posted:

Is that what people think when they see that? I always thought it was meant to illustrate a 30-50s/60-80s split (working age vs. retirement age)

I just brought that up because I think the original request was this...

SKULL.GIF posted:

Do you have that fantastic image from the Trump trade negotiations where the Western side is all geriatric boomers and silents, and the Chinese delegation is entirely sharp-looking 20- and 30-somethings?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

spacetoaster posted:

I've had to resort to mixing wood glue with sawdust for wood filler.

LIKE A PLEBE! wtf

i've been reduced to eating space toasters wood filler to survive!

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Zuck giving everyone a threads account is just straight up fraud right? he’s juicing the numbers so the stock goes up?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Jel Shaker posted:

Zuck giving everyone a threads account is just straight up fraud right? he’s juicing the numbers so the stock goes up?

oh most definitely

its also gonna share the same fate as g+ which did the same thing

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

I tried using g+ once and it was like trying to solve those puzzles in final fantasy 10

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

It was cool posting with the one dude that was in my email list and Gmail chat though

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Jel Shaker posted:

They aren't automatically being given threads accounts, you can just create a threads account/sign in with an instagram account

Think like signing into a site with your google account

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
yeah you still gotta opt in which l m a o at your dumb rear end if you do so

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Jel Shaker posted:

I saw a headline yesterday that was like "Threads shatters records with 100 million users signing up in the first month!", so yes

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1678681765681176578

nate still has it

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

If you have an instragram account and a threads account and deactivate the threads account why would you expect to stop being tracked by Meta? What additional tracking happens when you're on threads vs just instagram? I'm not sure I understand the "meta is holding your instagram hostage and then tracking you" framing to the article.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

its crazy how expensive furniture has gotten. even the humble IKEA has practically doubled their prices. and these things are made out of wood refuse and god knows what else

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

"Home sales always drop in the winter, spring and summer are prime house buying seasons."

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Eric Cantonese posted:

I just brought that up because I think the original request was this...

Sorry I misremembered the exact details of a photo where there's a huge age disparity.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

mistermojo posted:

its crazy how expensive furniture has gotten. even the humble IKEA has practically doubled their prices. and these things are made out of wood refuse and god knows what else

please think of the shareholders

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

Sorry I misremembered the exact details of a photo where there's a huge age disparity.

I accept your apology.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

shrike82 posted:

the irony is that china's aging much faster than the US - i think their median age passed the US recently

That won't lead to idiots in charge unless the melting brains ascend to power though, still has labor implications but you don't have to let your nations feinsteins hold power.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The geriatric leadership is very much a result of institutional decay moreso than a cause. Sure, a bunch of old drooling idiots in charge are going to make bad decisions, but the only way these ancient morons could have attained and maintained power is if the system is already broken.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

UKJeff posted:

Ah yes, those rich people are the worst. Not me though, I’m just an average Joe who travels to Italy and eats at Michelin restaurants.

Being rich was more fun when you didn't see people from Virginia in Italy, they even have the gall to not come off as very wealthy as well. Absurd.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

biceps crimes posted:

people complain about californians, but the most awful transplants I've met here were a couple from boca raton. I thought it may just be an anomaly, but I went to their wedding and all of their guests there were just awful, annoying, petty people. I now assume everyone from that area of Florida is like that

this is anti semitism

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

can you imagine how embarrassing it would be a professional poker player and lose to loving Nate Silver

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Maed posted:

uhh palantir is the most shady and evil corp there is

sarcasm doesn't translate well on the interweb

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

dxt posted:

can you imagine how embarrassing it would be a professional poker player and lose to loving Nate Silver

What a poker face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

PostNouveau posted:

What a poker face

bedroom eyes