Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

BadOptics posted:

Omfg is that a MLK quote to enhance the optics of selling war material.

Yeah why not, I'm sure if MLK were alive today he'd...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

VoicesCanBe posted:

Given how the NATO meeting has gone thus far, they might as well be the same thing

if anything the nafo meeting was more dignified

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

ДОЛГАРЕVА 🇷🇺 posted:

My article was published on RT about what is happening on the flanks of Artemovsk. Just a few days ago, when Kleshcheyevka was being handed over in a telegram, I visited Artemovsk itself and west of Kleshcheyevka at the positions of the 1st motorized rifle battalion of the 4th Brigade of the 2nd AK and Storm Z. Read about how things really are in my report. https://russian.rt.com/ussr/article/1173025-artyomovsk-flangi-kontrnastuplenie
(from t.me/dolgarevaanna/4175, via tgsa)

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Orange Devil posted:

Yeah why not, I'm sure if MLK were alive today he'd...

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The western bourgeois project undermined itself by isolating pariah states and allowing them to develop their own national bourgeois. That ship sailed a decade ago. What we're talking about is something even more ideological, and stupid.

it's not so much stupid as increasingly desperate. it's the same ideology, the same trajectory, only further along and following a hugely destabilizing exogenous shock. they can't just outlast the pariah states anymore, they need to realize the end of history before history ends them.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Orange Devil posted:

Yeah uhh I dunno how to say this nicely but my guy when it comes down to it you are a tool of the western ruling class and they will expend you without a second thought. Which is what they are doing to everyone (volunteered or pressganged into) Ukrainian service right now.

They don't give a gently caress about your life. Not mine either, but you voluntarily made it easier for them to use yours all the way up if they think they can gain something from it.

The King and his soldiers are bound by a sacred oath, as Defender of the Faith and King of Canada.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

Nix Panicus posted:

Wait, I thought they already had training arrangements for UA pilots and were quibbling over who was going to supply the F-16s. Are they just now signing a memorandum to someday set up a school, with the question of the F-16s themselves still unsettled?

Are they planning for the Spring '24 offensive?

Yeah, that statement talks only about training, not about real aircrafts sent to Ukraine.
This NATO keeps on giving loads of laughs, all those clowns doing round-tables, meetings, hugging each other.
Putin is right: we are indeed the Empire of Lies. :smith:

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Suicide bombing is an objectively successful method because it yanks your k/d ratio way up and you can ruin some important assets. In this case they're sticking their own asses out to bait Russian artillery into destroying assets that can be rebuilt with a shovel, and they're only killing themselves.

It's ok, Russia lost all its shovels in Bakhmut.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Vomik posted:

when Ukraine loses suddenly the entire nato command will be filled exclusively with the losing generals of Ukraine

Well of course they'll know how to beat Russia the next time

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Apparently you can just call up a Taxi to Bakhmut.

So you can probably like get an equivalent of an Uber guy to drive you over a shovel if you're really desperate for one.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I wonder how long until someone seriously puts forth the idea that Ukraine should be given dirty bombs to use on their own soil as area denial weapons, and its ok if Ukraine uses them because they have the sovereign right and anything that ends the war faster is good and permissible

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

well how are things ??

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
We've already broken the Forbidden Weapon norm and went whole-hog for a philosophical defense of any kind of weapon, so why not? Hell, give them our old chemical and bio weapon stockpiles while we're at it.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Turtle Watch posted:

mlmp08 made a Nazi gimmick account of themselves to prove they could make a Nazi gimmick account of others if they wanted to

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

lmfao

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Nothus posted:

We've already broken the Forbidden Weapon norm and went whole-hog for a philosophical defense of any kind of weapon, so why not? Hell, give them our old chemical and bio weapon stockpiles while we're at it.

Too late. Chemical weapons all gone.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Turtle Watch posted:

mlmp08 made a Nazi gimmick account of themselves to prove they could make a Nazi gimmick account of others if they wanted to

lmfao

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Turtle Watch posted:

lmfao

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Turtle Watch posted:

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Turtle Watch posted:

:owned:

speng31b
May 8, 2010

l m a o

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Frosted Flake posted:

Of course I’m pretty sure that until 1992 the plan was still to nuke West Germany anyway.

I’m not seeing that mentioned at all with Poland or the Baltics, which is kinda weird if NATO perceived a real, defensive, threat.

This is from a few pages back, but would you happen to know how West Germany, and NATO in general, reacted to the US deploying 50 Davy Crocketts to Berlin because the Soviets asked an American general to carry ID if he expects to be afforded privileges of being an American general when out of uniform in and in a private car?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Turtle Watch posted:

oh no! that's our orc meme guy!

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

lmfao

But can we really know for sure? Thats just based on one guy's reporting. I think we still have to keep the possibility that mlmp made the account on the table

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

euphronius posted:

well how are things ??

quote:

"The enemy is trying to conduct a counter-offensive, we are cutting off the attempts. There is heavy artillery shelling, using multiple rocket launch systems. A counter-battery fight is being conducted against them. There are attempts by infantry, we cut those attempts off. We have artillery, too, and we're working with tanks. Our guys bit into the positions and are holding on tight, not letting the enemy through. They're trying to pass in small infantry groups, and with the use of small armored groups - on average a few combat vehicles supported by a tank, one or two. We respond to this. We are working,"

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Turtle Watch posted:

lmao

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
no one ever introduce mlmp08 to the idea of a cartesian demon

mlmp08 do NOT google it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

thanks

those Ukrainians are brave

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

This is from a few pages back, but would you happen to know how West Germany, and NATO in general, reacted to the US deploying 50 Davy Crocketts to Berlin because the Soviets asked an American general to carry ID if he expects to be afforded privileges of being an American general when out of uniform in and in a private car?

No, but how Bonn handled that is probably indicative of wider trends, keeping in mind German youth got more restive as time went on.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Turtle Watch posted:

SPR-level posting brains here lmao

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Turtle Watch posted:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Turtle Watch posted:

The candle that burns twice as bright, burns half as long...

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
pwned

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Ahahahaaaaa holy poo poo this thread

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Lol remember yesterday with someone saying the Ukrianians kettled 50k Russian troops

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

Under these conditions, our guys, together with Ukrainian commanders, developed the tactics of "mosquito" advance – continuous attacks on Russian positions by small tactical groups of Ukrainian infantry. The Russians, who are much more sensitive to losses in manpower, try to avoid close ("contact") battles and, when the Ukrainians go to their trenches, withdraw, leaving the artillery to destroy the enemy. This usually succeeds-Ukrainians die or retreat.

But this tactic has a positive effect. Several such attacks almost completely destroy the Russian position, and most often with their own fire, after which the Russians are forced to withdraw to a new line, where this tactic is repeated. This is how the Russians were pushed back three miles from the strategic position of Makarovka in two weeks. And this tactic is constantly being improved. Our people believe that, with the continued pace of such progress, in two weeks the Ukrainians will be able to overcome the Russian support zone and start storming their main line of defense, while maintaining the offensive potential of their strongest brigades. Perhaps this is what our Milli meant when he said yesterday about the ten weeks of the Ukrainian offensive.

I know I've already quoted and responded to this but I don't think anyone's really considering this tactic from the point of view of a soldier.

Imagine you're in the trenches and you are desperately low on ammunition and vehicles. You cannot feasibly engage the enemy because they are faster and have artillery cover, not to mention the loving minefields. So, your officer tells you to just run straight at them. Run across the minefield, run through the artillery barrage, through the overlapping fields of fire covered by snipers and tanks, and get to the fortifications that you're supposed to be assaulting.

Finally, after losing several of your closest friends in the world at this moment and maybe getting hosed up as well, you make it to the Russian trench.

Except there's nobody there.

The Russians have pulled back away from your advance, and they've started shelling their own trenches. So now you have to run home, back through the mines, back through the sniper fire and the tank fire. You've lost comrades and nearly died yourself possibly never having never seen a Russian you could fire upon. There is no glory to this fight, no way you could reconcile this as a constructive way to spend human lives. You haven't taken out a machine gun near or saved a bunch of captured allies or taken a key position. You've done literally nothing, nothing but gotten shot at and watched your friends die.

And you get home and your commander says "good job, you made the Russians blow up their own trench."

How many times are you gonna go out on these batshit runs? Throwing your life on the line, watching your comrades die, for no gain. All guts, no glory. At some point, someone is going to figure out that they have a better chance of survival if they just refuse to go. Officers die all the time in the front lines, right? Russian snipers must be itching for the chance to shoot an officer. Is anybody really going to investigate one tiny bullet hole in an entire war?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

KomradeX posted:

Lol remember yesterday with someone saying the Ukrianians kettled 5ok Russian troops

50,000 russians surrendered at Bakhmut!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Turtle Watch posted:

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
this was a false flag ban