Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Cpt_Obvious posted:

How many times are you gonna go out on these batshit runs? Throwing your life on the line, watching your comrades die, for no gain. All guts, no glory. At some point, someone is going to figure out that they have a better chance of survival if they just refuse to go. Officers die all the time in the front lines, right? Russian snipers must be itching for the chance to shoot an officer. Is anybody really going to investigate one tiny bullet hole in an entire war?

Yeah well whoever said the Ukrainian strategy requires bravery is very correct. It's also correct that there is a very fine line, probably actually some overlap, between bravery and stupidity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Turtle Watch posted:

mlmp08 made a Nazi gimmick account of themselves to prove they could make a Nazi gimmick account of others if they wanted to

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

I need to see this confirmed by independent sources before I can accept that Turtle Watch was behind mlmp88

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

this was a false flag ban

thats right. the deep cspam state is covering for its own

Miles Blundell
May 7, 2023

by Pragmatica

Cpt_Obvious posted:

How many times are you gonna go out on these batshit runs? Throwing your life on the line, watching your comrades die, for no gain. All guts, no glory. At some point, someone is going to figure out that they have a better chance of survival if they just refuse to go. Officers die all the time in the front lines, right? Russian snipers must be itching for the chance to shoot an officer. Is anybody really going to investigate one tiny bullet hole in an entire war?

I honestly am starting to think that neoliberalism makes people so allergic to class consciousness that these people are never going to actually start fragging their officers, no matter how much it's in their best interest to do so.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

bedpan posted:

I need to see this confirmed by independent sources before I can accept that Turtle Watch was behind mlmp88

the admins posted the alt check evidence on discord https://discord.gg/52wAfvx1

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I'm not clicking that

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

KomradeX posted:

Lol remember yesterday with someone saying the Ukrianians kettled 50k Russian troops

I'm not even sure how people get an idea like this into their heads and then believe it, especially if they follow the conflict on a daily basis.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm not clicking that

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

kettles are not fully circular or globular.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Orange Devil posted:

Yeah well whoever said the Ukrainian strategy requires bravery is very correct. It's also correct that there is a very fine line, probably actually some overlap, between bravery and stupidity.

The Political framing of this a genocidal war against the untermensch is probably doing at least some of the work here. Not only is no sacrifice too great, but they're all cowards whose defeat is inevitable as well. In that way the Political insignia really are morale patches in the truest sense. It seems to be no small part of the glue keeping the Ukrainian Army together.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

VoicesCanBe posted:

I'm not even sure how people get an idea like this into their heads and then believe it, especially if they follow the conflict on a daily basis.

it's a couple of things.. part of the confusion is mistranslation / Ukrainian source tendency to report things that are hoped to happen in the future ("we are going to attack on the flanks and encircle Bakhmut") as things that are currently happening ("we are attacking on the flanks and have encircled Bakhmut")

It's also insane wishful thinking on the part of Ukraine supporters that the situation for Russia is much more dire than any actual evidence exists to support.. the idea that Russia is on their last leg, things are about to collapse across the entire front, Russia is pinned down / has no more reserves / is just struggling to survive with the forces they have on the line... meanwhile Russia is on the front foot at several points across the front and quite obviously has reserves to conduct offensive operations that are going on right now but this is ignored.

Probably doesn't help that the Ukrainians are claiming to kill 5+ Russians (10+ in some battles) for every Ukrainian soldier lost. These claims are taken completely uncritically as the gospel truth, and so if you believe that Russia has lost 200,000 soldiers killed since the start of June alot of the rest of claims make alot more sense.

Starsfan has issued a correction as of 18:46 on Jul 11, 2023

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

VoicesCanBe posted:

It was funny how quick people in this very thread were willing to beleive it. I remember being taken aback since I figured we wpuld have talked about Ukrianian gains around Bakmut so I immediately thought it was just cope. poo poo made up that someone will hear and never see the truth so they'll just be like how could Ukriane being loosing they just captured 50k troops

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

There were some pretty gnarly videos from the past few days showing that the Russians have identified this "mosquito" tactic, and simply started mining sections of their own trenches so that when they pull back and the Ukrainians dive in to get out of the artillery fire/minefield, they get blown up there as well.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
so has Nato vanquished russia at their summit or what.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Al-Saqr posted:

Seems like they vanquished Ukraine tbh.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

seems like they vanquished the idea that ukraine was being let in anytime soon

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

don't know about Russia but they sure had a lot to say about China!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Операция Z: Военкоры Русской Весны posted:

‼️🇺🇦🏴‍☠️ After the meat assaults at Orekhov, the fighters of the 47th brigade of the Armed Forces of Ukraine accuse "degenerates" from the command and write reports "I categorically disagree with the decisions on the use and development of the 47 Brigade," said Chief Sergeant Valery Markus on Twitter. He cannot influence the situation, therefore he considers it necessary to become a simple sergeant in order to be closer to the soldiers in battle. Markus accused the Higher Officer Corps of incompetence, and called the deputy commander of the brigade Ivan Shalamaga an "immoral degenerate." The 47th Brigade has been participating in the offensive on the Orekhovsky sector of the Zaporozhye front since the beginning of June and has suffered heavy losses in manpower and equipment. t.me/RVvoenkor
(from t.me/RVvoenkor/49091, via tgsa)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Eason the Fifth posted:

SPR-level posting brains here lmao

The thing that confuses me about this stuff is that you have to realize how incredibly owned you'd be if people found out.

It's like the internet posting version of taking out a massive loan to short a stock, only the prize you get for winning is really lame. And if you lose you go into, uh, poster reputation bankruptcy.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

They wish, but they want to open a new front in the indo-pacific

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

bedpan posted:

don't know about Russia but they sure had a lot to say about China!

One thing I always find hilarious regarding China is the constant western hysteria hyping them up as an existential threat to "freedom and democracy" and then you look at the propaganda coming out of the China side and its mostly "look at this adorable Panda eating bamboo!"

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Truga posted:

their currency is having a real bad time and eurobux would probably bring some stability

having money problems? surrendering fiscal policy to the germans will cure what ails ya!

speng31b
May 8, 2010

lol what the gently caress, i am getting random web ads for getting ukraine into nato that just link to the defense ministry of ukraine twitter

https://twitter.com/DefenceU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Morbus posted:

having money problems? surrendering fiscal policy to the germans will cure what ails ya!

hey i never said it'd help!
being perpetually bankrupt is a stable situation though

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Global thermonuclear war. Not if. When

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Touch grass, I say, angrily posting on the internet

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

The thing that confuses me about this stuff is that you have to realize how incredibly owned you'd be if people found out.

It's like the internet posting version of taking out a massive loan to short a stock, only the prize you get for winning is really lame. And if you lose you go into, uh, poster reputation bankruptcy.

wait, why is he owned? I mean he got outed by an admin but the whole thing was a joke. The only way he's 'owned' is if people don't know the whole joke with mlmp08. This wasn't actually a SPR false flag attempt. It was a joke that an admin ruined. It's not something anyone should do because you shouldn't be letting mlmp08 into your head in the first place but comeon.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ It's not nearly as bad as the SPR thing, but IMO it's still pretty embarrassing (and I don't think it's a very good way to mock mlmp specifically, given pretty much every other poster in GBS or D&D is way worse on that front - mlmp's main issue is just this weird sort of pseudo-objectivity mixed with an unwillingness to take clear positions)

The thing that I find some goofy about all this stuff with NATO giving weapons to Ukraine is that they're doing it in such a dumb and (presumably) ineffective way. Like they just give all these individual deliveries of stuff that is usually completely ineffective on its own. I feel like Ukraine probably would have gotten a lot more use out of all this stuff being given to it earlier in the war.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 19:00 on Jul 11, 2023

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

So the list of countries you think made the mlmp88 account is this?

Albania
Andorra
Austria
Belarus
Belgium
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Bulgaria
Croatia
Cyprus
Czech
Denmark
European Union
Estonia
Finland
France
Germany
Greece
Hungary
Iceland
Italy
Latvia
Liechtenstein
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Malta
Moldova
Monaco
Montenegro
Netherlands
North Macedonia
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Romania
Russia
San Marino
Serbia
Slovakia
Slovenia
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Ukraine
United Kingdom
Russia
United States

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

VoicesCanBe posted:

One thing I always find hilarious regarding China is the constant western hysteria hyping them up as an existential threat to "freedom and democracy" and then you look at the propaganda coming out of the China side and its mostly "look at this adorable Panda eating bamboo!"

This quadruple amputee is inspiring the nation by crying at his own wife giving birth, "husbands, love your wives!"

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Weird how many of you think there is some master strategy by the nato us western bourgeoisie to tighten their grip on power and victory against China when the reality is they are all just dipshits without a clue reacting day to day with the only goal being self preservation of their own individual power. The rich elites running the show are dumb as rocks, no need to pretend they are 5 steps ahead.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Asproigerosis posted:

Weird how many of you think there is some master strategy by the nato us western bourgeoisie to tighten their grip on power and victory against China when the reality is they are all just dipshits without a clue reacting day to day with the only goal being self preservation of their own individual power. The rich elites running the show are dumb as rocks, no need to pretend they are 5 steps ahead.

They are currently having a conference where they have panels talking about the need to curb China because nato sees them as an enemy state and for nato to gain control of the global south.

The master plan is to rerun the cold war playbook and create an indo-pacific nato with an article 5 while destabilizing the areas of the global south rich in rare earths.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

NATO confronting Xi Jinping

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

The Political framing of this a genocidal war against the untermensch is probably doing at least some of the work here. Not only is no sacrifice too great, but they're all cowards whose defeat is inevitable as well. In that way the Political insignia really are morale patches in the truest sense. It seems to be no small part of the glue keeping the Ukrainian Army together.

The confidence with which people are asserting this is a war of genocide against Ukraine so anything is permissible has always been extremely weird to me

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

Turtle Watch posted:

mlmp08 made a Nazi gimmick account of themselves to prove they could make a Nazi gimmick account of others if they wanted to

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

beautiful on so many levels

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Nix Panicus posted:

The confidence with which people are asserting this is a war of genocide against Ukraine so anything is permissible has always been extremely weird to me

You see there was a famine in the 1930s so therefore Russia and Russians lust for the blood of pure Ukrianians and always have and always will

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

nato should instead join forces with India and china to defeat the rogue nation of Pakistan

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Nix Panicus posted:

Putin has argued himself into a corner of "Ukraine is fake and gay, gently caress Lenin for making it" so I do kinda understand this perspective even if I don't think Russia as a whole is capable of doing it

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah it's a sad state of affairs when people don't even understand that there's a difference between them and the government that's out to kill them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Not So Fast posted:

Putin has argued himself into a corner of "Ukraine is fake and gay, gently caress Lenin for making it" so I do kinda understand this perspective even if I don't think Russia as a whole is capable of doing it

A 32 year old geopolitical entity is under attack! We must be willing to sacrifice any and every civilian to save it!