Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Endorph posted:

I think 20 usd for an 80 hour rpg is a fair price

is SC much longer or something? i'm gonna be wrapping up FC in like less than 30 hours, probably closer to 20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arivia posted:

is SC much longer or something? i'm gonna be wrapping up FC in like less than 30 hours, probably closer to 20.
you could probably do sc in 45-50ish hours if you skipped all the side content but it is a fair bit longer than fc, yeah

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
if i didnt think the game was worth $25 i would simply not buy it at that price

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

I think 20 usd for an 80 hour rpg is a fair price

Sory it's old 10 bucks or less

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Me, paying 80$+ for the smt nocturne pc port…. Then 70$+ for etrian pc port…

I might be bad with money

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Endorph posted:

you could probably do sc in 45-50ish hours if you skipped all the side content but it is a fair bit longer than fc, yeah

Oh okay that makes more sense then. Thanks.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

StrixNebulosa posted:

Me, paying 80$+ for the smt nocturne pc port…. Then 70$+ for etrian pc port…

I might be bad with money

This was me with Soul Hackers 2. The deluxe edition.

There is a reason I'm still salty about that loving game.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

claw game handjob posted:

This was me with Soul Hackers 2. The deluxe edition.

There is a reason I'm still salty about that loving game.

Oh, there’s your problem, it wasn’t an old gane

(In all seriousness- I’m planning on playing it soon. What’s wrong with it?)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Very underbaked. Feels like they were given a hard limit to work with somewhere in development and when they hit it, the game was just shipped. Only two? dungeons in the game don't have clone forms and the finale is a real explosion at the asset factory made of disparate dungeon skins all in a row. If you don't have the "bonus campaign" DLC (which smacks heavily of cut content resold, based on the fact that it has more voice acting and a whole new tileset that's nowhere in the base game) one late game twist is only hinted at in maybe two scenes/five lines of dialogue tops.

Also the vast majority of your gameplay time is running the same three quests over and over (this sounds like exaggeration, it is not, it is absolutely not) in the same Soul Labyrinth skin for all of your party members between story events if you want them to pick up new passives. By halfway into the game these turn into teleporter mazes which the game's map is not equipped to handle.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I have been playing (grinding) in Neptunia and frankly the stockholm is so intense none of what you’re describing sounds bad. Good, actually. Idea Factory jank/asset reuse but SMT flavored, sign me up.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

People seem to be warmer on Soul Hackers 2 after it got a bunch of patches but I never went back. I also stupidly bought it day 1 then got too busy to play it at all lol.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I am also a Neptunia player and you know what, yeah, that'd be a good comparison. I was more mad that I was sold a sequel to one of my favorite spinoff SMTs and got something so sparse without warning. It sucks because it pitches a really interesting concept to begin with and then all of the wheels begin falling off a few hours in.

Also yes. The quality of life patch that came later was a real game changer.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I liked it because it's nice to play a fairly brainless dungeon crawler sometimes

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

My brain is broken because everytime "the Epstein foundation" comes up in Trails from Zero (which is alot so far) I lol.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 11, 2023

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I am also a Neptunia player and you know what, yeah, that'd be a good comparison. I was more mad that I was sold a sequel to one of my favorite spinoff SMTs and got something so sparse without warning. It sucks because it pitches a really interesting concept to begin with and then all of the wheels begin falling off a few hours in.

Also yes. The quality of life patch that came later was a real game changer.

That is completely valid. If I picked it up expecting the 3DS Soul Hackers and got something...yeah. Yeah I can feel that salt, it's deserved.

Luckily for me I preordered SMT5 and that was my preorder for the year, so I waited on Soul Hackers 2.

Which is, speaking of preorders, I am sincerely tempted by Crymachina just because I'm enjoying Crystar so much. It's a little simplistic but I only turn my brain on for puzzle games and Into the Storm these days.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
in mediocre VN root double there was some conspiracy theory about a group called "Q" which was really funny

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Too many people to quote individually, but thanks for the info on FE, I had no idea that so many of the games react to who's alive and who's dead. Even if it's not all big shifts or anything like that

One of these days I should force myself to play through one of them and not reload to get the full FE experience

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The Colonel posted:

feel like it was a very bad choice for fft to have any kind of perma death when on all levels it functions as something that only punishes you in the early game where you're way squishier and are far more limited for options to resurrect dead units, mechanically gives you no incentive to bother pushing on if any units do die because they're so high investment and you'll rarely get anyone who could even begin to replace them, doesnt matter in the later game where you have a dozen different ways to keep your units alive easily including auto potion and reraise, and dramatically ruins basically any writing involving a character who joins your party at any point because they don't have anything like supports or base conversations in fire emblem so mustadio and agrias go from characters you have consistent dialog with to barely existing even though agrias' main conflict isn't even close to resolved by then. it's like building up an ff party except conspicuously whenever any new party members join they become mute

FFT is def the product of multiple competing ideas. Perma death doesn't work for the game as it is but it's not hard to imagine a version of the game where it'd be sensible.

Agrias, Mustadio, and all the other Important Named Characters With Their Own Jobs is another weirdness. The game neatly transitions between being a game about training and gearing your own company of soldiers to being Ramza and Friends saving the day with their super jobs. Thunder God Cid rules, but also you don't really need to engage with the game after you get him.

The game has monster breeding, too, kind of! Fill your roster with chocobo's you'll never field! There's no real reason to engage with that system at all, but it's there!

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
theres a mild benefit to the monsters if you super duper care because some good stuff can only be reasonably gotten through poaching and its easier to tame something in the family you want and hope it rolls the kind that poaches into something good than fighting all those fights with no ability to run and hoping one shows up. its pretty easy to not care about that but that doesnt mean you dont get anything from it.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
murder your allies and make their blood into chic perfumes

or run a full dragon team with reis, I'm not your boss

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

My brain is broken because everytime "the Epstein foundation" comes up in Trails from Zero (which is alot so far) I lol.

me too I guess because, lol

A Sinister Rap
Oct 19, 2012
I dropped Soul Hackers 2 when they said that they were planning on patching it, but then I never went back. It's a shame because I was enjoying it enough despite it's flaws and I remember liking Ringo quite a bit, to the point I got frustrated that some people kept hyperfixating on one out of context line she has.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
had two bad runs of wiegraf before managing to land two punches with my ninja and kill him on turn one

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

A Sinister Rap posted:

I dropped Soul Hackers 2 when they said that they were planning on patching it, but then I never went back. It's a shame because I was enjoying it enough despite it's flaws and I remember liking Ringo quite a bit, to the point I got frustrated that some people kept hyperfixating on one out of context line she has.

I went back after it was patched and that doesn't change that you go from a large subway dungeon for chapter 2 into... a second, larger subway dungeon for chapter 3. Combined with the mind palaces all being the same poo poo endlessly it's just... boring. I wanted to like it, the cast is pretty good and I was liking the story and combat but ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Too much subway tunnel.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Colonel posted:

had two bad runs of wiegraf before managing to land two punches with my ninja and kill him on turn one

The FFT experience

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
So Atelier Ayesha is a good one to get if you haven't played any before? I am a JRPG noob, I have only really played Pokemon. The storyline sounds cute. Is it a decent remaster, the DX one on Steam? Is the time limit restrictive? Some reviews complain, some say the game is chill and there's no need to worry.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HopperUK posted:

So Atelier Ayesha is a good one to get if you haven't played any before? I am a JRPG noob, I have only really played Pokemon. The storyline sounds cute. Is it a decent remaster, the DX one on Steam? Is the time limit restrictive? Some reviews complain, some say the game is chill and there's no need to worry.

Yes, Ayesha is a great starting point. There is a time limit but unless the idea of a time limit gives you hives there is no reason to stress

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

HopperUK posted:

Yeah it's a great place to start. The time limit isn't too bad, and this is coming from someone who usually hates that kind of thing. I took a pretty leisurely pace and had way more than enough time to get through the main story.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

theres a mild benefit to the monsters if you super duper care because some good stuff can only be reasonably gotten through poaching and its easier to tame something in the family you want and hope it rolls the kind that poaches into something good than fighting all those fights with no ability to run and hoping one shows up. its pretty easy to not care about that but that doesnt mean you dont get anything from it.

That is nice and I am glad that breeding the cute teddy bears to butcher high tier gear from their slaughtered hides is a mechanic.

But just because a feature personal brings me joy does not necessarily mean that it's congruent with the rest of the game.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

HopperUK posted:

Yeah!! What Harrow said. Ayesha is a lot of fun.

If you're allergic to time limits at all, also consider Sophie as a starting point - that's my personal favorite.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the only atelier game id say has a particularly stringent time limit is totori

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

I went back after it was patched and that doesn't change that you go from a large subway dungeon for chapter 2 into... a second, larger subway dungeon for chapter 3. Combined with the mind palaces all being the same poo poo endlessly it's just... boring. I wanted to like it, the cast is pretty good and I was liking the story and combat but ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Too much subway tunnel.

And if you want all the games content, you have to do this all twice!

Seriously the side dungeons being mandatory for character skill progression and so tedious was just a terrible way to pad out the game.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Thanks for the advice friends! It looks super cute.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

HopperUK posted:

dx on pc can be slightly finnicky. fullscreen mode can cause bad graphical bugs. if you run it in windowed mode and save often though it should be mostly fine, and you can save just about whenever. there might be issues with the game loading assets, including text, in really slow, but that might vary by pc. if you run into it though there should be a patch on the steam community hub

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The Colonel posted:

dx on pc can be slightly finnicky. fullscreen mode can cause bad graphical bugs. if you run it in windowed mode and save often though it should be mostly fine, and you can save just about whenever. there might be issues with the game loading assets, including text, in really slow, but that might vary by pc. if you run into it though there should be a patch on the steam community hub

Ah ok gotcha. I usually play things windowed anyway for boring eyesight reasons. Cheers.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Very underbaked. Feels like they were given a hard limit to work with somewhere in development and when they hit it, the game was just shipped. Only two? dungeons in the game don't have clone forms and the finale is a real explosion at the asset factory made of disparate dungeon skins all in a row. If you don't have the "bonus campaign" DLC (which smacks heavily of cut content resold, based on the fact that it has more voice acting and a whole new tileset that's nowhere in the base game) one late game twist is only hinted at in maybe two scenes/five lines of dialogue tops.

Also the vast majority of your gameplay time is running the same three quests over and over (this sounds like exaggeration, it is not, it is absolutely not) in the same Soul Labyrinth skin for all of your party members between story events if you want them to pick up new passives. By halfway into the game these turn into teleporter mazes which the game's map is not equipped to handle.

There were a lot of red flags in the run up to release. I remember thinking, based on the footage they were showing, that either they were keeping most of the game under wraps because Atlus can be weird about story spoilers, or they were showing absolutely everything, and it turns out they were showing everything.

Schwarzwald posted:

The game has monster breeding, too, kind of! Fill your roster with chocobo's you'll never field! There's no real reason to engage with that system at all, but it's there!

One of the things I liked about Tactics Ogre Reborn was monsters are actually cool and useful and since your battle party is pretty big, you can afford to give a slot to a Dragon with Rampart Aura who does nothing but tank enemy attacks.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
to be absolutely fair, your party members having a skill tree dungeon isn't a terrible idea in and of itself, there's an interesting idea in that somewhere, it's the copy-paste aesthetic that really brings it down

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
at least if you kill the party monsters yourself you don't have to deal with them trying to guilt you when you kick them out.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
the monster breeding and poaching makes more sense in a version of the game where the endgame isnt ramza+4 unique units of your choice curbstomping because its a way to gain incremental advantage from your units. monsters in general get shafted by what fft is in practice because their niche as numerically powerful but 1-dimensional units is just unnecessary. you just dont need them lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
really wonder if an fft remaster would be another port of wotl with new sprites or they'd do the tactics ogre thing and wholly rebalance the game again. would be neat if they did a thing where you can choose between wotl and some weird new wotl redux thing, i'd play a version of wotl i can play in japanese and also not have the awful slowdown poo poo with cause nobody made a fix for the jp version that actually works