Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

So It Goes posted:

This is literally how Blasphemous is though? Like I mostly agree with the sentiment and liked Blasphemous’s lore and vibe because it is this. I couldn’t tell you the story in it, but it’s vibe and peppered bits here and there was great. It and Grime (and I suppose Hollow Knight as well) are the only games I’ve played attempting the souls style “lore” that I think pulled it off.

Not quite. Blasphemous relishes on taking control from the player to say “penitent one” + some dark souls fanfic nonsense that you have to mash through multiple times until you get control back.

Hollow Knight suffers from similar problems but not as bad. Hollow Knight’s issues stem from mostly just plain bad game design but is covered with the most beautiful artwork. I would easily recommend Blasphemous over Hollow knight, even with the lore issue.

I mash through the story of souls games too but I find them less intrusive as usually the only time the player loses control is during the rare cutscene and some initial dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I’m sorry the NPCs address your player character a few times

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

It's like literally one one thousandth of the experience. I think every mainline Mario game has more.

Is it the name that's throwing you off?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Manager Hoyden posted:

Is it the name that's throwing you off?

It definitely dampers the experience.

Manager Hoyden posted:

"El Penitente" is so much cooler though. Always play in Spanish.

Honestly that would have been better and I wish I saw this comment before I played.

Tortolia posted:

I’m sorry the NPCs address your player character a few times

Thank you for understanding my pain.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

No Dignity posted:

Ori is one I'll never understand, like if Thomas Kinkaid made an adaption of a Ghibli film, just really pandering schmaltz not even on the level of a Disney film, but people go crazy for it

Right up until the end of Will of the Wisps, where it decides to pivot to "and then everybody had a happy ending, except you specifically, Ori, because you're catdog Jesus now" which is the most tonal whiplash I've ever had playing one of these. Blind Forest tugged my heartstrings and made me tear up at the start, I'm easy to get misty-eyed over stuff like BF does, but WotW had what feels like a joke ending/bad ending that you'd normally only see for not collecting everything in a collectathon or something

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

"El Penitente" is so much cooler though. Always play in Spanish.

I hope they launch with spanish VA this time instead of needing to record it after launch. IIRC english VA was a crowdfunding goal for the original game so they were obligated to do it and didn’t have the resources to add spanish until after they got sales or something. although I thought most of the english VA was fine, with the (hilarious) exception of crisanta, who they improved in the same update that added spanish.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The Spanish audio track was universally well regarded and the first game was a big enough success that they didn’t have to crowdfund the sequel, so I’d be extremely surprised if they didn’t have it in the original release of 2.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Blasphemous is cool cause it’s Catholicism the game and even if it does share some aesthetic commonalities with Souls, the specifics couldn’t be more different.

Souls is basically Buddhism the game. They’re fuckin diametrically opposed in a ton of ways.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Not quite. Blasphemous relishes on taking control from the player to say “penitent one” + some dark souls fanfic nonsense that you have to mash through multiple times until you get control back.

Hollow Knight suffers from similar problems but not as bad. Hollow Knight’s issues stem from mostly just plain bad game design but is covered with the most beautiful artwork. I would easily recommend Blasphemous over Hollow knight, even with the lore issue.

I mash through the story of souls games too but I find them less intrusive as usually the only time the player loses control is during the rare cutscene and some initial dialogue.
I have never been more annoyed by someone I agree with.

Take it or leave it narrative is what defines these games. I’m a leave it kinda person, myself, and I find the paragraphs that people spew over it kinda silly, but I’m glad they have something they enjoy. You complaining about this is like complaining that books are made of paper or that spicy food is hot. It’s kinda wild, tbh. Sorry that small fractions of story in a story light game bother you I guess? lol

I’d be fine with metroidvanias never having story, fwiw. Gimme a place, a character that’s fun to control, and secrets to find and I’m good. But I’m not about to complain that developers tried to include narrative in their games either, especially when it’s backgrounded as your examples are.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

rofl at all the wrong and bad opinions

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I am playing through The Knight Witch and I have really been enjoying it, but in the 4th or 5th area (Forge whatever) things have really taken a turn. The bullet hell stuff is already pretty nuts, and so is expecting me to take my eyes off it on the regular so I can look to see what cards I can spend my insufficient mana on, but now with the addition of these eyeball tower things that I have to worry about, I don't think I can be bothered anymore. I like the game a lot but I am probably going to use cheats to finish it.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Martman posted:

rofl at all the wrong and bad opinions

some people don't need narrative motivation, all they need is a list that says "doodads 0/96 thingies 0/18 thingamajigs 0/5" and the ability to walk right

I personally like poring over weapon descriptions until my third eye opens and I finally understand what a long-dead civilization calls breakfast

E: and imo only interacting with story, ever, through speculating over cryptic notes (and never wanting to see dialogue expositing the story) is basically just practice for the bulletin board covered in pushpins and string that a terrified junior detective is gonna find one day

bawk fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 11, 2023

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I mean there's minimal story, and then there's Blasphemous. I can't think of a single metroidvania with less exposition or dialogue, and only a handful of games in other genres.

Old school arcade games maybe? Geometry Wars?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Guacamelee is on sale in the Steam Sale and is an awesome Metroidvania for anyone that cares.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

guppy posted:

I am playing through The Knight Witch and I have really been enjoying it, but in the 4th or 5th area (Forge whatever) things have really taken a turn. The bullet hell stuff is already pretty nuts, and so is expecting me to take my eyes off it on the regular so I can look to see what cards I can spend my insufficient mana on, but now with the addition of these eyeball tower things that I have to worry about, I don't think I can be bothered anymore. I like the game a lot but I am probably going to use cheats to finish it.

I was very dumb and didn't even realize that I was supposed to be putting something between myself and the eyes until I could literally no longer brute force it. I got the most mileage out of just stacking my deck with weapons and familiars. The spells were usually too situational to be worth it but extra firepower is always welcome. I also held a few shield cards and the 0-cost ones that generate mana and generally got on alright.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Manager Hoyden posted:

I mean there's minimal story, and then there's Blasphemous. I can't think of a single metroidvania with less exposition or dialogue, and only a handful of games in other genres.

Old school arcade games maybe? Geometry Wars?

It’s not apparent at first but eventually you realize The Miracle isn’t a big mystery or plot device - it’s just the background setting. For as fancy as it sounds it’s as pertinent to the proceedings as someone complaining that it’s gonna storm soon because their knee aches - it just is.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

SkeletonHero posted:

I was very dumb and didn't even realize that I was supposed to be putting something between myself and the eyes until I could literally no longer brute force it. I got the most mileage out of just stacking my deck with weapons and familiars. The spells were usually too situational to be worth it but extra firepower is always welcome. I also held a few shield cards and the 0-cost ones that generate mana and generally got on alright.

That works kind of but what worked for me (until I got fed up with it) was dashing when the circle turned white and big around me, that makes it miss.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Did I play an updated version of Blasphemous no one else played? There are frequent situations where controls are taken away from the player that the player has to mash the skip button. You have to turn in multiple quest items to progress that usually have NPCs spouting “penitent one”. Defeating bosses leads to cutscenes that drone on and on.

Starting to think people have forgotten how many times blasphemous forces the story to be front and center. Granted, it’s not a bad as anime games usually are but it is bad.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 11, 2023

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Tortolia posted:

It’s not apparent at first but eventually you realize The Miracle isn’t a big mystery or plot device - it’s just the background setting. For as fancy as it sounds it’s as pertinent to the proceedings as someone complaining that it’s gonna storm soon because their knee aches - it just is.

Yeah, I liked that part about Blasphemous as well. For all the hubbub about the Miracle and when/how/why it happened, the game is ultimately a cosmic horror story. The answer to all those questions is "none of that matters. this is all there is, now."

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Did I play an updated version of Blasphemous no one else played? There are frequent situations where controls are taken away from the player that the player has to mash the skip button. You have to turn in multiple quest items to progress that usually have NPCs spouting “penitent one”. Defeating bosses leads to cutscenes that drone on and on.

Starting to think people have forgotten how many times blasphemous forces the story to be front and center. Granted, it’s not a bad as anime games usually are but it is bad.
You actually don't have to mash the skip button. You can watch the art and listen to the dialogue and find that it is good and well executed

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Martman posted:

You actually don't have to mash the skip button. You can watch the art and listen to the dialogue and find that it is good and well executed

lol

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Death Stranding has more cutscene in the beginning of any mission than Blasphemous does at all. The spoken dialogue might fill a pocket catechism. It's lean as hell.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
forumban this guy back to d&d it was a good containment zone

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

lol, banned from d&d so you brought the same level of quality to this thread. lmao

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

bawk posted:

Death Stranding has more cutscene in the beginning of any mission than Blasphemous does at all. The spoken dialogue might fill a pocket catechism. It's lean as hell.

Why are we talking about Death Stranding? It isn’t even a metroidvania. Are you using it as another example of why games generally have bad stories?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Could you name a metroidvania with a good story, just so people know what the scale looks like?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Toki Tori 2+

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

i completely disagree with your statements, we disagree on fundamental parts of what makes good video games, story is important for things outside of snippets of text, *add to cart* *check out* *install* and furthermore,

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Manager Hoyden posted:

Could you name a metroidvania with a good story, just so people know what the scale looks like?

Environmental Station Alpha? Cave Story? Minimalist stuff that isn’t distracting or annoying is nice. Valdis Story sure isn’t, but it’s got good music which goes along way to make the anime god story tolerable.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

too bad Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is full of cringe dialog and interrupting your character. coulda have been a good game

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTR_buzPpmk

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
English Pope Escobar is a 1’000/10 performance and I won’t hear otherwise. Up there with Senator Armstrong for best final boss monologue of all time.
And just lmao at saying a game about exploring a giant platforming maze in 2D grid form designed around backtracking isn’t a metroidvania.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

galagazombie posted:

English Pope Escobar is a 1’000/10 performance and...

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Manager Hoyden posted:

I mean there's minimal story, and then there's Blasphemous. I can't think of a single metroidvania with less exposition or dialogue

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I like it when people call me Penitent One, with a descriptor at the end like “in Silence” or “full of Agony” Preferably in real life.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Tortolia posted:

Not in the final golden true ending, which was added in the the Wounds of Evertide update.

In other news: There is a good deal of story you have to stumble on in Blasphemous if you're going to 100% a run or whatever. If you think it's all edgy teenager stuff though, it sounds like you have the most surface level rear end readings of everything. It's not deep or impressive to call everything cringe.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

*gets to Bob-Omb Battlefield* ugh all this talking, now the Bob-Omb is talking to me, what is this War and Peace????

the elevators in Metroid Fusion would drive vbc crazy

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I don't understand lumping Hollow Knight into all of this. The game specifically does not make you engage with its story, it's all stuff for a completionist, and the unhappy ending you get for all that doesn't differ from the general aesthetic of the game; everything is hosed, and good luck fixing it.

As a game, Hollow Knight has some hard as gently caress places, but that is intentional, places like the Deep Nest are meant to freak you out and not really want to engage, the megaman spike pits are crawling bugs and so on. I'm not sure what anyone wants out of a game experience of exploration and wonderment, but Hollow Knight pretty much ticks every box on that check-list.

Hell, even Super Mario Brothers the Third has the "giant world" and that is just a bunch of nonsense thrown at you.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
That person just posts that way.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Kurui Reiten posted:

Not in the final golden true ending, which was added in the the Wounds of Evertide update.

In other news: There is a good deal of story you have to stumble on in Blasphemous if you're going to 100% a run or whatever. If you think it's all edgy teenager stuff though, it sounds like you have the most surface level rear end readings of everything. It's not deep or impressive to call everything cringe.

Sure but that doesn’t mean it isn’t cringe either. I’m not denouncing anyone for it. Like cringey poo poo all day. It’s not killing anyone. Lots of metroidvania games are cringey but the games are fun. No need for hostility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Blasphemous is best when it isn’t trying too hard to be dark souls. The lore and “penitent one” talk comes across as juvenile.

Honestly most games would improve tremendously if they had less “lore”.

Dang, I thought I was in the Unpopular Opinions thread for a moment. Most of Blasphemous's hook comes from the Catholicism dialed up to eleven, I take it you weren't raised in a place where it was omnipresent and colours everything.

I'm glad they're making a sequel, I'm sure it'll be mechanically better while keeping the right "lore", as you put it.

edit: Holy crap the thread got a burst of activity from this lol, super beaten.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 12, 2023