Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well, it certainly looks like SAG-AFTRA is going to strike in a week’s time.

anonymous WGA member posted:

The writers have gone it alone on 7 out of 8 strikes and won each of them. We’ll get the deal we need this time as well, but we would welcome them on the line. The actors joining us would be as historic as in 1960, when concurrent strikes gave us health care and our pension. The WGA has long known that the studios give up nothing without a fight, which means walking, and it appears the SAG-AFTRA membership does now as well. The membership seems ready to walk the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Good. They're gonna need the help.

So disappointed that the director's guild didn't end up making a show for solidarity, and I was worried SAG would go the same way.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Honestly, this is amazing to hear. Seconding the disappointment in the Director's Guild, but I think both the Actors and Writers striking at the same time could do some real damage

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

You love to see it. God drat, labor finally remembering they have capital by the short ones is a sentiment that we all need to have forty years ago, but I'll settle for now.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/joerussotweets/status/1678053772965339137

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Thanks, Joe Russo

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Joe Russo is such a tryhard dork.

Edit: Hah, that's not the Marvel / Community Joe Russo.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

lmao what a bunch of babies

https://variety.com/2023/biz/news/sag-aftra-federal-mediators-amptp-1235667053/

this is how you know the strike is going to really hurt them. :devil:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Gotta love the classic anti-union language also: "There’s a strong feeling that a militant minority in the union is having outsize influence on the negotiating strategy, with no regard to the heavy toll that a strike would take on actors as well as other unions and myriad businesses that bank on production-related work. "

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Gaz-L posted:

Gotta love the classic anti-union language also: "There’s a strong feeling that a militant minority in the union is having outsize influence on the negotiating strategy, with no regard to the heavy toll that a strike would take on actors as well as other unions and myriad businesses that bank on production-related work. "

"Outside agitators"

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Shook.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gaz-L posted:

Variety has been blatantly in the tank for the AMPTP since about a month before the WGA went on strike, this isn't surprising.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

This is a really odd bit of info isn't it

quote:

In addition to the executives discussing efforts to bring in a federal mediator, talent agency chieftains including Ari Emanuel of WME , Bryan Lourd of CAA and UTA’s Jeremy Zimmer have reached out to SAG-AFTRA leaders in recent days to offer assistance that could stave off a second Hollywood work stoppage this summer.

The heads of *agencies* have reached out to SAG-AFTRA? Are they acting on behalf of the AMPTP? On behalf of themselves? They're in a really weird conflict of interest space here

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pinterest Mom posted:

The heads of *agencies* have reached out to SAG-AFTRA? Are they acting on behalf of the AMPTP? On behalf of themselves? They're in a really weird conflict of interest space here

If the unions are on strike, then contracts aren't getting signed for new jobs. If contracts aren't getting signed, then the agents aren't getting their sweet, sweet commissions.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Agents can go get hosed. I really wish the DGA had gone on strike too.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/sag-aftra-federal-mediation-contract-negotiations-1235533704/

SAG-AFTRA doesn't seem to be interested in taking the bait.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

That's incredible.

quote:

But in its statement on Monday, SAG-AFTRA threw cold water on what it described as a purposeful leak to Variety earlier in the day by what it claimed was “by the CEOs and their ‘anonymous sources’ before our negotiators were even told of the request for mediation.”

As if you needed any more proof that Variety is blatantly on the side of management in this.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

good on them

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
https://deadline.com/2023/07/writers-strike-hollywood-studios-deal-fight-wga-actors-1235434335/

quote:

Receiving positive feedback from Wall Street since the WGA went on strike May 2, Warner Bros Discovery, Apple, Netflix, Amazon, Disney, Paramount and others have become determined to “break the WGA,” as one studio exec blatantly put it.

To do so, the studios and the AMPTP believe that by October most writers will be running out of money after five months on the picket lines and no work.

“The endgame is to allow things to drag on until union members start losing their apartments and losing their houses,” a studio executive told Deadline. Acknowledging the cold-as-ice approach, several other sources reiterated the statement. One insider called it “a cruel but necessary evil.”

I hope bad things happen to these studio execs.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

beg for crumbs or starve

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"These guys are so poorly paid by us that they can't afford to strike for too long to complain about how poorly we pay them! There's no ironic twist or joke to this statement, I am just a monstrous, soulless piece of poo poo!"

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Zaslev getting booed at that commencement was literally the nicest thing that could have happened to him . These people deserve worst things but I'll take getting booed whenever you show up in public

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

God. Sorry. This poo poo is so loving bleak. Deep down this is what all of our employers think

The best hope is this article invigorates every one and just brings them together.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Here's an interesting response. Basically in the hyper late-stage capitalism world they've created, they literally can't afford to let things go on long enough:

https://twitter.com/slack2thefuture/status/1678960256586776576

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
slack is overly optimistic about the potential consequences for the executives. these people prioritize union breaking above all else

the one catch I can see is that writers are already so used to deprivation and immiseration that starving them out might take longer than expected

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 12, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I dunno, I genuinely think the studios - along with all companies, basically - have shot themselves in the foot with training shareholders to only expect exponential growth.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Timby posted:

If the unions are on strike, then contracts aren't getting signed for new jobs. If contracts aren't getting signed, then the agents aren't getting their sweet, sweet commissions.
Oh yeah I know! But "these people, who nominally work *for* actors, coming in to mediate, seemingly on behalf of the people they're usually negotiating against", that's a dynamic that's uh. Challenging.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

IIRC, the big kefuffle in the last round of WGA negotiations was over the agencies getting entirely too chummy with the studios. So there's precedent for the big talent agencies siding with the studios over their clients.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

I dunno, I genuinely think the studios - along with all companies, basically - have shot themselves in the foot with training shareholders to only expect exponential growth.

No, they've shot the rest of us, in the back

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

howe_sam posted:

IIRC, the big kefuffle in the last round of WGA negotiations was over the agencies getting entirely too chummy with the studios. So there's precedent for the big talent agencies siding with the studios over their clients.

That wasn't WGA negos with the AMPTP, it was a separate issue altogether, writers negotiating with agencies. But yeah, you're right, and it had slipped my mind that the WGA went to war with the big agencies recently.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Here's an interesting response. Basically in the hyper late-stage capitalism world they've created, they literally can't afford to let things go on long enough:

https://twitter.com/slack2thefuture/status/1678960256586776576

Could you copy/paste for those of us who refuse to sign up for the bird site?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Could you copy/paste for those of us who refuse to sign up for the bird site?

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1678960256586776576.html

quote:

In the increasingly mega-merged and hedgefundified Hollywood, these companies live or die on their quarterly earnings reports. It only takes one bad quarter for their stock price to plunge, putting the company and the CEO’s job in jeopardy.

But their stock prices are holding steady, right? Right. For now. Because our industry is a pipeline that starts with writers. The TV and movies they’re releasing now are shows we started making for them 4-12 quarters ago. But what happens when that pipeline runs dry?
What happens is they run out of product. No new shows in streaming to drive and sustain subscribers. No new shows in broadcast and ad-supported to bring in ad revenue.

No shows, no money.

No money, bad earnings report.

Bad earnings report, bye-bye stock price. Bye-bye CEO.
After 70+ days with no writers to create their product for them, the pipeline is running dry.

Their stock price isn’t tanking yet. But if they don’t make a deal with us, it will.

And they know it.
If they make a deal soon, they might be able to weather it. Stretch out releases. Rush some new stuff through.

But the longer they keep us out, the longer that pipeline runs dry, the more unavoidable a catastrophic dip in new high-quality shows becomes.

And they know it.
So yeah, the studios are planting articles in the trades that make it sound like they’re so determined not to pay us the 0.02% of company revenues we’re asking for that they’re willing to hold out forever.

Bullshit.
I’m sure the AMPTP bosses would love to break our union. But they love their jobs more. They love money more. They can’t make that money without us.

And they know it.

Ignore the trades, walk the line, stand together, and win. #WGAStrong

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
the AMPTP's position is absolutely insane (this was also from twitter, but there's really nothing you need to know except the above context)

"yeah they'll probably starve and become homeless, then we've got those greedy writers!"

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

One studio exec lamented that if they were given the authority to "hunt writers for sport" then this whole strike would be "over in a jiffy."

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
"Just starve em out" seems like the least viable option and if successful would create even bigger problems in the near future and significantly larger problems in the far future

However if there's one thing billionaires hate more than organized labor, it's that one loving can in the middle of the road. They just gotta keep kicking it

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Remulak posted:

Goddamn nanny-era Fran Drescher was amazing as a writer/producer/actor but wow after (maybe) marrying the scumbag of the western work she started equivocating about a sag/aftra strike.

She went through some horrible poo poo, but she married one of the biggest assholes in the world that wasn’t Kirk Johnson.

Then last week she started equivocating before negotiations even started, what the hell?

Leave the goatman outta this!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

We already pay you too much. That's why none of you have more than a few months' savings!

Wait.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Someone sent me this article saying it says that the writers strike fund is out of money but I can’t find any evidence in the text that this is the case. I replied where does it say that and they told me to read it closely and that maybe I have a reading comprehension problem.

https://deadline.com/2023/05/entertainment-community-fund-financial-assistance-400-people-wga-strike-1235381313/

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
We'll see pretty soon if the studios are really digging in their heels - the networks have to plan for mid-season shows by August/September, and ABC isn't going to inspire many advertisers if their spring lineup is as uninspiring as their fall lineup is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Ccs posted:

Someone sent me this article saying it says that the writers strike fund is out of money but I can’t find any evidence in the text that this is the case. I replied where does it say that and they told me to read it closely and that maybe I have a reading comprehension problem.

https://deadline.com/2023/05/entertainment-community-fund-financial-assistance-400-people-wga-strike-1235381313/

If I had to guess they saw the part about the WGA taking 2 mil in donations and thought "They must be desperate if they're asking non-writers for money" Though no actual correlation exists