Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

The special thing that Luocha's signature LC enables is a higher field uptime thanks to the energy regeneration (in addition to the absurd base stats). I don't know if that uptime is going to help more than saving for a limited 5* DPS as the game seems to really favor the Carry / Support(Offensive) / Support(Debuff) / Defense unit compositions right now, and Luocha can solo a side as defense with QPQ and +12 relics. Some dedicated folks are making more hybridized compositions work (Dreamy being the obvious example) but having two hypercarry-capable DPS (or even just one for day to day) will make your life so much nicer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Fhqwhgads posted:

I have 37 special passes burning a hole in my pocket and I'm not sure if I should save them for the next banner or start pulling for a LC. Best I have for Luocha is Quid Pro Quo. I'm still newish so I don't have much in the way of characters or good LCs (going by what's on Pyrdwen for the characters I have so far).
If you're not willing and able to invest enough jade in the LC banner to force it, save it.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

Fhqwhgads posted:

I have 37 special passes burning a hole in my pocket and I'm not sure if I should save them for the next banner or start pulling for a LC. Best I have for Luocha is Quid Pro Quo. I'm still newish so I don't have much in the way of characters or good LCs (going by what's on Pyrdwen for the characters I have so far).

Imo pulling on the LC banner is the domain of whales.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Fhqwhgads posted:

Quid Pro Quo is good since he just wants to stack SPD anyway and it helps your team offensively. Even the 3* Abundance LC that advances your action after every turn (Multiplication) is very good for him for SP generation and refreshing his Talent faster. This early on in the game's life I wouldn't really advocate for pulling for LCs but that's doubly so for Abundance LCs, both because the free/budget options are more than good enough and because investing into a healer's LC is less impactful than investing into a damage dealer's.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Sounds good all around, I'll sit on them for now. Thanks!

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
An LC might be worth pulling on if it's general enough to be BiS for multiple characters. And the game's too new/there are too few characters for us to be able to gauge what 'general enough' means. Not to mention, Luocha's signature LC definitely seems very specific to him, at least given what we've seen so far.

This isn't an MMO or ARPG where you can turbogrind for the 'BiS' items. The only way to attain 'BiS' for all your characters is to fork over cold hard cash. Don't do it. And this is without knowing when or how quickly powercreep might be around the corner, or if there will be a character/playstyle/whatever you'll like more, etc.

My personal rule of thumb for LC banners is, if you have to wonder whether to pull, don't. When you'll eventually want to pull, you'll know. (The answer might be never, as is the case for me in Genshin!)

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Okay this is loving stupid lol. The second character in my party just disappears when I enter Echo of War, I've tried several times. Thank goodness you can still alt+F4 out of it without losing stamina.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

You can just give up as well

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

Okay this is loving stupid lol. The second character in my party just disappears when I enter Echo of War, I've tried several times. Thank goodness you can still alt+F4 out of it without losing stamina.

are they dead? they just completely disappear if you enter combat and they're dead

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

boredsatellite posted:

You can just give up as well

Good to know, didn't wanna try in case that hosed me.

someone awful. posted:

are they dead? they just completely disappear if you enter combat and they're dead

Nah, alive and well. I cleared all the wandering mobs in the area and Seele shows up then.
Edit: Alright, switched Bailu's spot with Seele and now it's good.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

facepalmolive posted:

I've seen Dreamy's guide and I wished more people touched up on how she functions as a sub-dps. (Is her DPS mostly tied to her ult or autoattack?) I think she's also insinuating that the EQE playstyle is more supportive? I'm not sure.

I think the answer is both. EQE means that every basic is double damage (at max level) and shreds toughness, and her ult is decently strong for a support. I think you need to play her with a slow ult uptime if you want to bring out her dps potential, or you need to ignore her personal damage for maximum support efficiency.

Honestly the more I play with Yukong the more I feel like I have to play around her. I'm not having a lot of fun with her right now. I think I'm just going to drop her.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

I appreciate them trying to differentiate her from the other multi-turn big-buffs sexy-fox support character, but "two character's turns" is a pretty harsh limitation to work around unless you are already running a team that is able to exploit the mechanic. And in that case, you're likely already running a leveled/geared Tingyun, so why even bother unless you're just really jonesing for a side of imaginary damage.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The supposed balance is that her stats literally don't matter for her buffs so in theory she is easier to build than an asta or tingyun

Or locked behind dupes hard

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I think Yukong just works best with specific characters. Maybe she's even made for future characters? Ironically she seems to be the first buffer who doesn't play well with Hunt characters, with the exception of Seele because her extra turns don't count as actual turns unlike every other character in the class.

The restriction of 2 characters is really difficult to work around. Speed tuning is fine, but the second you get slowed or cc'ed then your rotation is completely hosed and she is rendered nearly useless as a buffer.

As excited as I was by her, I just find her to be frustrating and not fun to work around. Tingyun or even Asta are a little more usable for my play style so I think I'll stick to them.

Here's a longer analysis of her by Mr. Pokke: https://youtu.be/N0T0Xv8jYXA

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Help me out with Jing Yuan? He's level 69 now but mostly unchanged. I'm getting better damage out of my Quinque who is built comparably, and that's with Jing getting buffed by Tingyun. Do I need to focus on his traces or relics more? I keep getting frustrated with his performance and I'm ready to bench him, again. Maybe I should just build Dan Heng. :(

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Tae posted:

The supposed balance is that her stats literally don't matter for her buffs so in theory she is easier to build than an asta or tingyun

Or locked behind dupes hard

This is true, but also Asta's buffs don't use her stats. Among the Harmony characters, only Bronya and Tingyun have buffs that scale on stats.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Walla posted:

Help me out with Jing Yuan? He's level 69 now but mostly unchanged. I'm getting better damage out of my Quinque who is built comparably, and that's with Jing getting buffed by Tingyun. Do I need to focus on his traces or relics more? I keep getting frustrated with his performance and I'm ready to bench him, again. Maybe I should just build Dan Heng. :(

Jing Yuan wants his passive ability trace as high as humanly possible. Like 90% of his damage comes from his passive. It's definitely the most important thing to focus on for him. After that, it's relics.

EDIT: Looking at the screenshot, he doesn't want the clown set at all. He ideally wants the lightning set for his main (he's using his skill 100% of the time so it's better attack than the cowboy set) and the crit rate set (which increases followup attack damage) for sphere/rope. Crit damage is better than crit rate for his chest piece since he has a bunch of crit rate built into his kit, and you can do either speed or attack for his boots and plain attack for his rope.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 12, 2023

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Prydwen.gg is a pretty good start to character building. They were the ones that initially posted the sim charts showing his talent eclipsing everything else for overall dps. I think 90% might've been a bit too high but it's overwhelmingly the largest source of his damage for sure.

And yeah the relics. The orb is at 0! The +elemental damage orb is one of the most important relics iirc, up there with your chest slot.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

The 5* artifacts are really starting to pile up, but I'm hit with choice paralysis whenever I think about salvaging them because I'm worried about hidden gems turning to dust. How do I deal with this?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Black Griffon posted:

The 5* artifacts are really starting to pile up, but I'm hit with choice paralysis whenever I think about salvaging them because I'm worried about hidden gems turning to dust. How do I deal with this?

None of that poo poo matters, if it did you would have used it already. Having internalized that truth, turn it to nothing and move on.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Saving my free SU coins to turn them in when the new stages are open

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Walla posted:

well your first problem is that's herta on the light cone and not jing yuan

vvv that one neither!! vvv

Lazy_Liberal fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 12, 2023

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Agreed with most of the prior post stuff about JY. Trace order being Talent > Skill > Ult, and Lightning set/Salsotto are the ideal relic sets but at least giving him proper mainstat leveled relics should do plenty to start. Not sure how much LC matters. I find my JY feels good and he is still in progress.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Also your gloves are just +3, pointlessly losing significant amounts of attack when you should be able to easily get it to at least 9.

Edit: Same with the +lightning ornament (at 0!). You're leaving a ton of damage on the table there. Level both those to 9 and you'll probably gain like 40% more DPS or something.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 12, 2023

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Black Griffon posted:

Some lessons from my year playing Genshin (adapted for Star Rail):
  • Is it DEF/HP mainstat on a set you wouldn't ever use for a Preservation/Abundance/Tank character? Mulch it.
  • Is it a boot with any mainstat other than Speed and you don't have a character with a very specialty build that would need another stat there? Mulch it.
  • Is it a chest with any mainstat other than Crit Rate/DMG, EHR, or Outgoing Healing (for all those healers you will surely be using in the future)? Mulch it.
  • Is it a sphere with any mainstat other than Elemental DMG on a set you wouldn't use on a DPS of any kind? Mulch it.
  • Is it a rope with any mainstat other than ER (maaaaaybe Break for like SW or whatever)? Mulch it.

After that, the next lowest hang fruit are the substats. Do you have multiple of a desirable mainstat on a set-piece but most of the subs are poo poo like HP/DEF or flat ATK? Mulch the shittier ones.

Tree Reformat fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 12, 2023

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Lazy_Liberal posted:

well your first problem is that's herta on the light cone and not jing yuan

:c00lbert:

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
Is JY's speed supposed to be in the toilet like that?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
probably not but I haven't done much relic farming yet that entire set was a one and done kinda thing I lucked out on. I've been exposed!

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Also speed boots are fake

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

Basically this:

Mulva posted:

None of that poo poo matters, if it did you would have used it already. Having internalized that truth, turn it to nothing and move on.

If you ever feel on-the-fence about it, then it's not good enough. You'll likely drop another one at least as good before you start feeling like you'll miss it.

The only exception is that I do save a mainstat HP%/DEF% piece if (and only if!) it has good crit/cdmg/spd substats on it. We will have to see how well Blade turns out in practice with his HP scaling, but the leaks show that there will be other HP (and probably DEF?) scalers in the future.

Another word of advice coming from Genshin -- mulch early and mulch aggressively. The more you let your relics pile up, the more tedious of a chore it becomes to sift through everything in the future.

Also CDMG chests are fake

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, that's an improvement from Genshin: being able to just mulch crap tier relics to exp juice. Genshin also had a 5* recycle system, but if you start bumping up on the artifact inventory limit, you have to start trashing relics or dump them into another artifact, which feels Real Bad if you don't have a halfway decent one for that purpose.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Tree Reformat posted:

Yeah, that's an improvement from Genshin: being able to just mulch crap tier relics to exp juice. Genshin also had a 5* recycle system, but if you start bumping up on the artifact inventory limit, you have to start trashing relics or dump them into another artifact, which feels Real Bad if you don't have a halfway decent one for that purpose.

Speaking of which, are item caps the same as they are in Genshin? I'm not going to bumping up against them anytime soon in HSR but in Genshin I'm constantly bumping against them and it's pretty annoying

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I'm struggling to level and trace my 2 teams. Who has credits?

But yeah, most of my relics are absolute poo poo. I really need to start farming but I've been focusing on building 2 decent teams and getting their levels and traces together. I also can't seem to settle on a main for my second team.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

facepalmolive posted:

Also CDMG chests are fake

They really are. I have more energey regen ropes than crit damage chests, and I almost never spend stamina on SU.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I desperately need a lightning CDMG chest on my Jing, he's at 60% crit rate with 50% crit damage using an ATK chest. I think I'm going to burn all future self-molding synths on it.

I'm building a Yukong team right now, Luocha/Yukong/Welt/Clara was my idea, with her using S5 Planetary Rendezvous -- but after watching Dreamy's video I'm tempted to try incorporating Pela somehow. 80k ults is pretty insane for a Harmony character.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Thanks for mulching advive, I'll Get Mulchin'.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Welp, Asta is now level 80, E6, and with maxed out traces. I have beaten the game.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

I used my resins on 2x crit damage chest, and 1x crit rate chest

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Walla posted:

I'm struggling to level and trace my 2 teams. Who has credits?

But yeah, most of my relics are absolute poo poo. I really need to start farming but I've been focusing on building 2 decent teams and getting their levels and traces together. I also can't seem to settle on a main for my second team.

Take your slots with the correct mainstat to +9, it's cheap and a big boost. That'll hold you awhile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
Is this moc10 easier than 8-9 or is it just my team comps?