Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

TBH it's outrageous that the vatican is allowed to have sovereignty. What about the priceless historical records that are too embarrassing to the church to release??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Coolguye posted:

the swiss guard use mp5s now

How many divisions does the Pope have?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Sir John Falstaff posted:

How many divisions does the Pope have?

it's 100 dudes

1 commandant, 3 general officers, 15 NCOs, a chaplain, the rest of them are all grunts

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

and about twenty extra dudes who are actually Camorra in disguise

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

lol, but you do not under any circumstances gotta hand it to erdogan

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Real Russians know that Putin is a NATO shill

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Coolguye posted:

it's 100 dudes

1 commandant, 3 general officers, 15 NCOs, a chaplain, the rest of them are all grunts

https://wordhistories.net/2019/08/23/how-many-divisions-pope/

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
the swiss guard should coup putin.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

grumplestiltzkin posted:

lol, but you do not under any circumstances gotta hand it to erdogan

Yeah he sucks immense rear end. But I'm very happy having him face north and troll a much worse version of himself. Rather than anything he does when he faces south or east.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Strategic Tea posted:

TBH it's outrageous that the vatican is allowed to have sovereignty. What about the priceless historical records that are too embarrassing to the church to release??

It's a sweet little country though. I went to go see the Pope speak on a Sunday in Peter's Square. Packed. Tons of fans with different Saint flags and stuff, like a big sporting event. Songs. Food vendor carts on the outskirts of the big crowd. Great way to run a country IMO.

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010

redshirt posted:

It's a sweet little country though. I went to go see the Pope speak on a Sunday in Peter's Square. Packed. Tons of fans with different Saint flags and stuff, like a big sporting event. Songs. Food vendor carts on the outskirts of the big crowd. Great way to run a country IMO.

Yeah, the country run by a cartel of pedophiles and their collaborators sounds pretty fun :jerkbag:

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

BlancoNino posted:

Yeah, the country run by a cartel of pedophiles and their collaborators sounds pretty fun :jerkbag:

It's this.

Also don't forget which cool group was the very first ones to sign treaties with (checks notes) the literal Nazis. (checks notes again, wider eyed) And Mussolini's fascist regime.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-ato/3734466-russians-move-units-to-zaporizhzhia-to-hold-land-corridor-to-crimea-fedorov.html

quote:

Russia is increasing the number of its troops in the occupied territory of Zaporizhzhia region in order to hold the land corridor to Crimea.
Melitopol Mayor Ivan Fedorov said this on the air of the national telethon "United News", Ukrinform reports.

"In recent days, we have seen new units arrive. In the village of Obilne, which is literally 5 km from the temporarily occupied Melitopol, units from South Ossetia are settling in. In Mykhailivka, civilians are being evicted from a private house to accommodate the military. In Melitopol, barracks were set up on the basis of a distillery," said Fedorov.

He added that Russia is moving the military to hold the land corridor to Crimea, which they are actively using.
More and more reinforcements are being sent to the front, it seems

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

the kids are okay.

remember to enable the sound

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

zone posted:

In Melitopol, barracks were set up on the basis of a distillery," said Fedorov.

That's helpful <checks map>

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

BlancoNino posted:

got bad news for most modern states founded within the last 300 years mate

let people enjoy taking a dumb trip as a small sop in the face of overwhelming awful poo poo, everything sucks everywhere to a degree. if youre getting mad about the vatican then idk try and think about the time they put a dead pope on trial and re-executed him or the time the fourth crusade got derailed and a bunch of catholics invaded themselves before everyone involved got excommunicated by a very pissed off pope. at the end of the day, the chances are that whatever country youre from was also founded by a cartel of pedophiles or slave masters, or worse, the dutch :v:

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 11, 2023

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Sedgr posted:

Putin gets croaked...I bet we see the elusive smiling Buda

looks like alternative universe Wil Wheaton

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

The giant platforms give him a tactical height advantage!

[Tottering on his oversize heels]
"It's over, Vladimir! I have the high ground!"

Esplanade fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 12, 2023

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Most posting last few days hasn't touched on the war much so thought I do a tl;dr update. It's pro Ukraine accounts and must have geolocated/footage. I've given up on trying to decipher russian stuff because it's 50 Leopards blown up and trust me bro with zero evidence.

Russia have pushed out a bit from Kremmina towards Tors'ke. Limited footage but lots of boom
Russia got loving wrecked in Adiivka trying to counter attack. Footage everywhere
Ukraine back in the western edge of Bakhmut. Could just be a dash in for a photo op
Ukraine encircling Bakhmut north and south and now holds the high ground in south so has arty fire control. Klishchiivka I think is the place.
Ukraine still slowly moving south in zapa region. Lots of mine clearing footage, a few fire fights etc but they moving.
Russia has given up for now trying to re-take the Kherson east bank landing despite numerous failed attempts

e - this info could be anywhere from 1h to 72 hours old!

Tai fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 12, 2023

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

Zippy the Bummer posted:

the swiss guard should coup putin.

I know poots isn't technically head of the Russian church but this would definitely qualify as can the Vatican make Jihad a crusade

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Vaginaface posted:

I know poots isn't technically head of the Russian church but this would definitely qualify as can the Vatican make Jihad a crusade

Popes were the ones who called the crusades so yeah. Crusades were specifically a Catholic thing, and targeted Orthodox Christians sometimes (including Russia!).

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the fourth crusade being little shits was one of the grand underlying reasons why the byzantines fell

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

God bless the gifmakers and their gifs!

Ripperljohn
May 13, 2014

beer_war posted:

Pictured: Austrian neutrality.

Actually, for those who don't know, it's worth expanding on. That's Karin Kneissl, former Austrian Foreign Minister (2017-2019) under Chancellor Sebastian Kurz and then a member of the "we're totally not Nazis, trust us" FPÖ. After her career in politics, she joined RT as a guest columnist and the board of directors at Rosneft.

This is a very poo poo summary of what was going on and i might summaries that entire loving clownshow once i’m sober, but as far as neutrality is concerned, we will never join NATO cause our military is the joke it’s intended to be and it’ll stay that way for as long as there’s no interest at throwing money at it.

As for Kneissl, she was supposed to be an independent “expert” during the asylum “crisis” that Kurz used to get into power and only turned out to be batshit-putin-fangirl after she left office.

Or at leat that’s how i remember it, that handkiss pic is from her wedding, it was weird af back then and she’s since divorced iirc, all of that was a very weird time for us.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

EorayMel posted:

Do...those exist?

They were supposed to be deployed in the Fulda Gap as a measure of last resort if I remember right.

I also hear willo will sit on one next Tuesday.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I forget Austria exists sometimes.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

HonorableTB posted:

I forget Austria exists sometimes.

They have kangaroos, right?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

McGavin posted:

Yes actually

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45407767.amp

Dangeresque
Dec 6, 2008

McGavin posted:

No, you're thinking of wallabies.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
is austria like a german belarus? the only thing i know about austria is that its where the terminator is from and apparently their accent sounds sweet

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

HonorableTB posted:

is austria like a german belarus? the only thing i know about austria is that its where the terminator is from and apparently their accent sounds sweet

arnie's voice would be awesome no matter what accent he had tbqh

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

HonorableTB posted:

Austria is to Germany as New Jersey is to New York.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

redshirt posted:

Austria is to Germany as New Jersey is to New York.

Who is new jerseys hitler?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Coolguye posted:

arnie's voice would be awesome no matter what accent he had tbqh
I do feel bad for the Austrians who hate that his voice is so strongly associated with Austria internationally, I am sure it would make me very sad if everyone thought all Americans sounded like, say, Lindsay Graham or Sarah Palin

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Tai posted:

Most posting last few days hasn't touched on the war much so thought I do a tl;dr update. It's pro Ukraine accounts and must have geolocated/footage. I've given up on trying to decipher russian stuff because it's 50 Leopards blown up and trust me bro with zero evidence.

Russia have pushed out a bit from Kremmina towards Tors'ke. Limited footage but lots of boom
Russia got loving wrecked in Adiivka trying to counter attack. Footage everywhere
Ukraine back in the western edge of Bakhmut. Could just be a dash in for a photo op
Ukraine encircling Bakhmut north and south and now holds the high ground in south so has arty fire control. Klishchiivka I think is the place.
Ukraine still slowly moving south in zapa region. Lots of mine clearing footage, a few fire fights etc but they moving.
Russia has given up for now trying to re-take the Kherson east bank landing despite numerous failed attempts

e - this info could be anywhere from 1h to 72 hours old!

I wish I knew more about what was happening. It seems like you either get accounts like NOELreports reposting any pro-Ukraine rumor they can find or people just shrugging and admitting that they don't have a full idea on what's going on.

Russia can play to its strengths by being on the defense while Ukraine seems held to western expectations that are unrealistic given the equipment limitations Ukraine is dealing with. I want to believe it's going to pan out for Ukraine, but I'm not sure the west has given enough aid to make that work.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Oh Wagner's coming back to Ukraine.

loving yikes.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Dr. Quarex posted:

I do feel bad for the Austrians who hate that his voice is so strongly associated with Austria internationally, I am sure it would make me very sad if everyone thought all Americans sounded like, say, Lindsay Graham or Sarah Palin

See you say that, but Toto Wolf exists so frankly Austria has only itself to blame.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

HonorableTB posted:

Yeah they're like USA's Arkansas.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Who is new jerseys hitler?

Trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lmao