Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Aware posted:

Guyaniel Incognitiardo

Called it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos
I'm happy that Danny is back, he's a good lad.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I'd like to hate on RBR for its masochistically cutthroat HR department, but have there been many drivers they axed who went on to do great things elsewhere? I guess Albon maybe right now but that's only a partial season so far?

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Even with Albon, they helped him get the Williams seat and he’s still contracted to RB with an option to go back.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I'd like to hate on RBR for its masochistically cutthroat HR department, but have there been many drivers they axed who went on to do great things elsewhere? I guess Albon maybe right now but that's only a partial season so far?

does DJing count?

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
When you have one of the best cars on the grid its pretty much a given that any driver you axe isn't going to do great things as judged by the team they left

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
pretty excited to have 2 (+1 honorary) aussies on the grid next race!

although as much as I like Ricciardo it will be unquestionably funny if Yuki outperforms him and the Alpha Tauri kills his comeback chance

even if his tyre test was good in the RB19 that doesn't mean he's going to be a natural at adapting to Nyck's handmedown shitbox

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Cirofren posted:

even if his tyre test was good in the RB19 that doesn't mean he's going to be a natural at adapting to Nyck's handmedown shitbox

I'd love to see Ricciardo back and doing well, even if it is for a Red Bull team, but this is my thinking as well - can't help but feel skeptical that he's going to be able to deliver to the sort of performance that Red Bull are looking for thanks to the mix of coming in cold mid-season and having to drive an Alpha Tauri.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
So we know for a fact that Danny can drive some decent cars fast but other decent cars not fast. We know the AT is a piece of poo poo but does it have Danny's special sauce?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That Red Bull junior drivers program sure is producing a ton of drivers who will never get an F1 team contract

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Windmill Hut posted:

:australia:

get Doohan on the grid

2024 F1 grid with Piastri, Lawson, Ricciardo and Doohan. I can see it. It's beautiful.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

They should do a f1 losers race but only a single one. don’t make a whole series out of itbut anyways put de vries, grosjean, mazepin, latifi in there. See what Maldonado is up to. See which one of them is the slowest

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

If you say that’s just Indy car I’m gonna lose it

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

ethanol posted:

If you say that’s just Indy car I’m gonna lose it

It's actually called 'The ABB FIA Formula E World Championship'

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

They let anybody off the street into that mess I want specially f1 losers

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
Doesn't look great for FE that their one champion promoted to F1 got booted halfway through the season lol.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
Danny's McLaren years were awful, but was he really a binman before that? He was a bit error prone and sorta went hot or cold, but in the first bunch of years when Merc was dominant it felt like Danny Rick's good weekends were the only thing keeping the seasons from being a one-team show.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl

Nowher posted:

Doesn't look great for FE that their one champion promoted to F1 got booted halfway through the season lol.

And former champion JEV, who was so forgettable in F1 no one mentioned him as one of the other failed Red Bull drivers today.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

And former champion JEV, who was so forgettable in F1 no one mentioned him as one of the other failed Red Bull drivers today.

I always felt like the "JEV was offered a F1 seat after wining FE but turned it down" stuff was exaggerated for FE promotion but if there's truth to it he certainly made the right decision to stay there and keep getting paid and winning races.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Arc Hammer posted:

That Red Bull junior drivers program sure is producing a ton of drivers who will never get an F1 team contract
25% of the grid is Red Bull Academy drivers.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Nowher posted:

Nelson Piquet Jr.
Sebastian Buemi
Jean-Eric Verne
Lucas di Grassi
Stoffel Vandoorne

and now Nyck De Vries.

That's a pretty rough collection of failed Formula 1 dreams.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Lucasar posted:

Danny's McLaren years were awful, but was he really a binman before that? He was a bit error prone and sorta went hot or cold, but in the first bunch of years when Merc was dominant it felt like Danny Rick's good weekends were the only thing keeping the seasons from being a one-team show.

He was pretty good in the red bull, although he was a clear number 2 to baby Max. His theory was that the McLaren was a weird car to drive and that Lando had an advantage because he was going in blind rather than having to unlearn habits he'd already developed. Getting away from McLaren will probably do him good. But as Gasly and Albon showed, the red bull is not the alpha tauri, so he could struggle in the alpha tauri too. Who knows. All we can say for sure is that Perez is a binman.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Simplex posted:

Nelson Piquet Jr.
Sebastian Buemi
Jean-Eric Verne
Lucas di Grassi
Stoffel Vandoorne

and now Nyck De Vries.

Felipe Massa did FE for a season

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

The man’s most lasting contribution being the trivia tidbit that Max’ three letter timing tower abbreviation used to be ‘VES’ because VER was taken.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

How can we forget dan ticktum.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Simplex posted:

Nelson Piquet Jr.
Sebastian Buemi
Jean-Eric Verne
Lucas di Grassi
Stoffel Vandoorne

and now Nyck De Vries.

i feel like 3 time WEC champion Sebastien Buemi doesn't belong in this list even if the only thing people remember about his time at Toro Rosso was when his front wheels inexplicably exploded off his car at the end of the China main straight

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

Simplex posted:

Nelson Piquet Jr.
Sebastian Buemi
Jean-Eric Verne
Lucas di Grassi
Stoffel Vandoorne

That's true, but all these guys were outed as F1 binmen and moved to FE.

I'm pretty sure Nyck is the only person win FE championship first and then get promoted right?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

De Vries murdered Latifi and didn't even have the decency to be good. It's just loving rude.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

masterpine posted:

It's actually called 'The ABB FIA Formula E World Championship'

Meanwhile the series where good f1 drivers go after their time is done is called NASCAR

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Simplex posted:

Nelson Piquet Jr.
Sebastian Buemi
Jean-Eric Verne
Lucas di Grassi
Stoffel Vandoorne

and now Nyck De Vries.

Coming to Sky/F1TV next year.....The Ultimate Driver. A collection of failed binmen share a house and compete in a series of skill challenges and races to earn a spot in the Red Bull reserve team. Hosted by Buxton. Or better yet, it's hosted by Horner and they are competing for the number 2 Red Bull seat and Perez is forced to participate as well.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jul 12, 2023

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Vergne won Formula E twice
Buemi has won a ton with Toyota in WEC and also won a season of Formula E
Hartley went back to Toyota in WEC to success
Albon is still in Formula 1
Gasly is still in Formula 1
Seb Bourdais has gone back to be successful in the U.S. in IndyCar and sports cars, but he wasn't really a Red Bull junior in the same way

others are kinda bin men, including noted American binman Scott Speed

SwiViwS
Nov 19, 2006
C'est vert

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Coming to Sky/F1TV next year.....The Ultimate Driver. A collection of failed binmen share a house and compete in a series of skill challenges and races to earn a spot in the Red Bull reserve team. Hosted by Buxton. Or better yet, it's hosted by Horner and they are competing for the number 2 Red Bull seat and Perez is forced to participate as well.

Will there be fireworks to signal the rest when someone cheats?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

SwiViwS posted:

Will there be fireworks to signal the rest when someone cheats?

Yes and the winner of each challenge gets immunity from having to build car parts or work in catering for a week.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

the cars are all leftover Caterhams from 2014

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
TUD

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Simplex posted:

Nelson Piquet Jr.
Sebastian Buemi
Jean-Eric Verne
Lucas di Grassi
Stoffel Vandoorne

and now Nyck De Vries.

Some people still think Stoffel Vandoorne is good. Food for thought.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
How much is Are Dan allowed to drive the AT car for purposes of learning its feel and driving style? Is there a limit to familiarization hours?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Cimber posted:

How much is Are Dan allowed to drive the AT car for purposes of learning its feel and driving style? Is there a limit to familiarization hours?
Unless AT has some of their 2-3 hours of promotional filming time left, none outside of the sessions in race weekends.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Halo14 posted:

I’m sorry, who the fk is Nyck de Vries?

Welcome back Are Dan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Cimber posted:

Essentially none. If they hadn't done a filming day or if he had been able to hop in that for the tire test they could have but otherwise that's totally off the table to be driving the current car.

We know he was fitted for a seat in the car earlier in the year, ostensibly in his role as reserve for both Red Bull and AT. As far as is reported he's not done any time in the AT simulator that we've heard of, I guess one question would be is if they are able to setup the Red Bull simulator for the AT if he's been doing any work in that instead of all the time he's apparently been doing on the actual RB sim.