Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

He didn't misread the chart. The chart is cut off in the embed, as WMV noted.

Wages overtaking CPI is a good thing. Not sure why you guys are complaining or looking for some sort of negative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Twerk from Home posted:

Wages actually up means that the Fed is going to punish us some more.

The fed is caught in a Morton's fork - keep punishing workers and banks fail as collateral damage which hurts rich people*, don't punish workers and wages keep increasing which hurts rich people*. We'll see which way they jump.

*they get wealthier slightly slower

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Slow News Day posted:

Wages overtaking CPI is a good thing. Not sure why you guys are complaining or looking for some sort of negative.

Because there's no mechanism in this country to prevent the people who run things from saying "WAGES ARE UP, gently caress IT!" and hammering the price gouging button. Exactly like they did when the reports came out in 2020 that workers were saving too much money, and never stopped doing.

Apr 7, 2003

If you're one of the investors who control 40% of all single family home rentals in this country, or one of the three giant conglomerates that control the food supply, there's zero reason for you to not keep price gouging as wages go up. No one is going to stop you, and any money consumers have left over after covering food and shelter is just money left on the table that could be yours.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SKULL.GIF posted:

No mention of how Tucker's view count on Twitter has also crashed through the floor, of course.

So where the gently caress did those viewers go? If they stopped watching the fox news they didn't follow tucker to Twitter, so what are they doing with that hour of life?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I mean, if CPI increases faster than wages, that means things are getting less affordable.

If wages are increasing faster than CPI, that means things are, at least for the time being, getting more affordable.

Sure, some companies might price-gouge, and they definitely do. But I think we should celebrate the small wins we do get, shouldn't we?

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Slow News Day posted:

Considering the entirely bullshit way they calculate cpi wages aren't actually rising faster you dumb bitch

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

HallelujahLee posted:

Considering the entirely bullshit way they calculate cpi wages aren't actually rising faster you dumb bitch

Ah yes, of course.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Slow News Day posted:

Ah yes, of course.

Do you even have a clue how they calculate cpi and what they omit or are you too focused on genocide denial and rape apologism

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Turtle Sandbox posted:

So where the gently caress did those viewers go? If they stopped watching the fox news they didn't follow tucker to Twitter, so what are they doing with that hour of life?

Uber and Doordash.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

euphronius posted:

instead of food at a grocery store, just buy airline tickets instead

buy an airline ticket and leave america forever

Apr 7, 2003

Slow News Day posted:

I mean, if CPI increases faster than wages, that means things are getting less affordable.

If wages are increasing faster than CPI, that means things are, at least for the time being, getting more affordable.

Sure, some companies might price-gouge, and they definitely do. But I think we should celebrate the small wins we do get, shouldn't we?

If we had a government that prevented business from punishing labor and the marketplace for any perceived gains, yeah, that would be nice

as has been said here before, Bloomberg told the ruling class three years ago that labor had too much money and they're still pissed off about that

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Heres a easy win permaban the genocide denying rape apologist

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Cross posting from the weather thread

Good thing that food is already excluded from the inflation metric

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Slow News Day posted:

it's all bullshit and fake. nobody is getting any material wins out of the graph. it's a fake number. i'm just pointing out jpow wants fake wage number to go down and wolfers says fake wage number up is good.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

when he says 'was' farmland , he means its all submerged by lake tulare reborn.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
We're still draining the entirety of the SPR aren't we? Going to be fun when that bill comes due.

Edit: found the graph and answer 'lol yes and still at a nearly unprecedented rate!' surely this won't be a problem in the near future.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Real hurthling! posted:

when he says 'was' farmland , he means its all submerged by lake tulare reborn.

Oh d'oh right. I already forgot about that. All those disasters just keep on piling up, it's hard to keep track of em

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

I don't even know what ""Bidenomics"" entails aside from 'Number up'. It reminds me of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEU2JKEFmco

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Real Mean Queen posted:

I was at the beer store recently and noticed that the normal-style budweiser cases were covered in harley davidson bullshit.

They're playing on that "ALL AMERICAN HOOAH HOOAH!" branding.

Hoping folks don't know that budweiser was sold to overseas owners years ago and harley davidson makes their poo poo overseas now.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

NeonPunk posted:

Oh d'oh right. I already forgot about that. All those disasters just keep on piling up, it's hard to keep track of em

Yeah, it turns out we probably should have be doing something to save ourselves. Oh, well. Better luck next civilization.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

NeonPunk posted:

Cross posting from the weather thread

Good thing that food is already excluded from the inflation metric

You know, the team behind the fallout mod for HOIIV unironically had a chart that said all regions when made had to hold to present day population ratios, so California still had to magically be the most populated state. poo poo like this is why I laughed and said gently caress that when I made map additions, the state is a natural loving desert without quaffing the gently caress out of it with the Colorado and international shipping doesn't exist in post apocalyptic 2275.

E: Although they often complain about how many people Mexico has like this and say it should be nerfed so American factions have it easier lmao, they already only get 60% of the manpower due to law nerfs.

StealthArcher has issued a correction as of 16:25 on Jul 12, 2023

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Beached Whale posted:

It really feels like gaslighting when all of the most important things needed to survive are either omitted entirely from the inflation readings for being too "volatile" such as food, or the numbers are so obviously cooked as to be ridiculous like asking homeowners how much they'd charge themselves for rent, and then bundling that into the rent price statistics.

Correct. It's all complete bullshit and I want to cram that water-carrying Wolfers rear end in a top hat right into a dumpster

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

rex rabidorum vires posted:

We're still draining the entirety of the SPR aren't we? Going to be fun when that bill comes due.

Edit: found the graph and answer 'lol yes and still at a nearly unprecedented rate!' surely this won't be a problem in the near future.

I forgot about that, thank you for the update.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

spacetoaster posted:

They're playing on that "ALL AMERICAN HOOAH HOOAH!" branding.

Hoping folks don't know that budweiser was sold to overseas owners years ago and harley davidson makes their poo poo overseas now.

IIRC everyone who thinks bud is too woke went to modello, which is also owned by inbev

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Slow News Day posted:

credulous lib

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Business Gorillas posted:

IIRC everyone who thinks bud is too woke went to modello, which is also owned by inbev

It'd be difficult to avoid inbev brands...

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Slow News Day posted:

I do not agree that we, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them". Please shuffle back to D&D.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

PoundSand posted:

oh this is worse for me because WA gas pricing are spiking through the moon for seemingly no reason. I think we’re the highest average in the nation which is rare as that usually goes to Cali.

CA gas is elevated and rising too. lol I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s not even nominally tied to oil price at this point

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
gonna need to see that wage breakdown among percentiles

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

gas went up like 40 cents this weekend and energy prices falling whatever that means or whatever garbage they claim to calculate hasent resulting in me seeing lower energy bills in fact im expecting close to $350-400 in electric bills next month a 40% increase from last year.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Business Gorillas posted:

Modelo ownership in the US is more complicated than that. Modelo US is owned by Constellation Brands, Modelo outside of the US is owned by AB-Inbev.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mr Hootington posted:

It will work. The companies have more power and money than ever and the public doesn't care this time.
yeah I agree. I posted my possibly doomer predictions several weeks ago. if SAG teams up in solidarity, WGA may succeed but if SAG decides to gently caress them over, I think WGA is dead as the dodo

Xaris posted:

lol definitely

it was a bad analogy but i meant it more in brutally scattered to the winds analogy, though not by government but just by shear corporate power. There's a lot of differences now than back in the mid 2000s with streaming having taken over. there's a lot of non-union production centers in Georgia (entirely non-union because it's GOP state), Vancouver, even New Mexico and poo poo now versus most of it being concentrated in LA where the guild has much more power. its easier than ever to cross the line without having to move a step. they also have a ton of scripts already on file

basically multi-national megacorps with production across the globe can stay solvent even just on Friends and Big Bang Theory re-runs + reality tv dating show slop 10000x longer than a poor rear end writer with $3000/month 1br apart LA rent can stay solvent.

it's also not like content is going to dry up immediately and more of a constriction of new content 12-24 months from now. I'm also skeptical that constant stream of new shiny content is necessary to keep the profits flowin' as long as there is some content coming in. but fuckin' hell, Netflix can just keep throwing lovely korean dating shows and 100 seasons of Love is Blind or 90 Day Fiance and stay solvent. i just got bad vibes about this one working out

hope to be wrong but in any case it's going to be a really really really long strike is my guess. probably much longer than the mid 2000s one at this rate, but who knows. streaming isn't quite as beholden to constantly keeping a schedule of new content to appease everyone that just throws it on for background noise.

———————————-

yeah SAG going in would be very good for both and perhaps get good double-contracts. if SAG sits out.. well... i'm a bit pessimistic.

although i'm not so sure about people not seeing any new content and cancel for a couple of reasons:
a) there's still a huge subscriber base that just puts on for background noise / netflix n chill / or to eat dinner with the TV on to avoid talking to your bitch partner and annoying kids and will just continue to pay for it no matter what
b) streaming apps are really good about shuffling content and controlling what people see to trick them into almost anythings
c) and it's not like the content pipeline will end so they technically will keep getting NEW ARRIVALS! loaded. they'll keep having plenty of TLC-rear end drama/dating shows/reality tv/game shows, foreign licensed english/indian/france/russian/korean/japanese/whatever shows to flood the main page.

twitch isn't even really in the same realm and is still super duper niche, but definitely youtube is the biggest competitor.

I think the loss of ZIRP may significantly hurt scripted shows more than we know, and already I think we're seeing pullback now that ZIRP is gone, although that's just conjecture. Netflix hardly even continued a show past the first or second season even years ago. seems like cutting to the chase and not even bothering with a first season would be even more profitable.

but well like I said, i hope they succeed.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 16:53 on Jul 12, 2023

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice
the misery index is such a funny idea, "these arcane economic numbers say people should be happy! it makes no sense they aren't!!"

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

RealityWarCriminal posted:

gonna need to see that wage breakdown among percentiles

yeah and the axes are already loving skewed because he's looking at only Urban consumers and then only All Average Private wages, it's incredible how people just don't read or look at things

me, a good Economist: "Average = mean, also, there are no public employees, and people only buy things in cities"

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Always hated Bud Lite vs other cheapass adjunct lager

Has this like gross sweet aftertaste for me for some reason

Anyways I'm surprised that a bunch of extremely online chuds had any material impact on its sales- wonder what happened there

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Yes. Oil prices and gasoline prices have gone lower because the usa oil companies and usa government are flooding the market with an unprecedented amount of oil.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Always hated Bud Lite vs other cheapass adjunct lager

Has this like gross sweet aftertaste for me for some reason

Anyways I'm surprised that a bunch of extremely online chuds had any material impact on its sales- wonder what happened there

Most boycotts fail because the thing being boycotted is difficult to substitute or has some kind of network effects. Macrobrew lager is really uniquely homogeneous, in that for every bud light tap or case on a grocery shelf, there is a near identical substitute product available right next to it that costs the same.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

Yes. Oil prices and gasoline prices have gone lower because the usa oil companies and usa government are flooding the market with an unprecedented amount of oil.

oh so you want russia to win in ukraine???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

is pepsi ok posted:

TikTok's super secret algorithm literally just shows you more of the stuff that you like watching.

from way back, but my TikTok is only marginally like this. things I physically hit the like button on may or may not make it into limited rotation for a short time. that random video clip from saving private Ryan I watched 8 seconds of? that’s now 70% of the videos I’ll see for the rest of the day. then it’s a rotation of golf, Tesla, crypto, gym, truckerlife, etc… and you can only block a certain number of hashtags and it just seems to disregard that anyway. then the rest of it is onlyfans ads because I’m apparently incapable of not looking at a nipple and there goes the feed again even though I’ve never hit the like button on any of those.

In economics news, as someone that’s been shopping for a new commuter car for a while, the used market is pretty clearly coming down. nowhere near pre pandemic levels but it’s happening and cars are sitting even with massive price cuts.