Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Schmeichy posted:

Do you hold and select the "I really don't like this" option to poo poo you don't want on your feed? My tik tok feed is like 99% a combination of cute animal videos, nature stuff, leftie politics, and gay poo poo. If you dislike the sponsored ad stuff you'll also start getting really weird promoted stuff

is there something beyond the standard not interested button? because that one does nothing for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

mad.radhu posted:

I agree that AI is a paper tiger that will never ever ever in a million years live up to the creativity of a human writer - but people love their slop, and if the *only* thing you can watch is AI generated slop, they'll take it.

Eh, cablecutting is already a dire problem and streaming is writing checks it can't cash.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Justin Tyme posted:

Ah yes wages rise x% each month, because some extrapolated percentage is definitely how people engage with reality, people's paychecks are definitely going up by x% every two weeks

Boy wouldn't that be loving nice if it worked that way, to actually benefit from these eggheads celebrating arbitrary numbers you'd need to quit and reapply every month to some other place for x% more and that isn't how it works!!!

last year, the local astronaut-turned-politician sent out a mailer proudly taking credit for a new rule that pegged government pensions and disability to inflation. workers of course were left out.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

StratGoatCom posted:

Eh, cablecutting is already a dire problem and streaming is writing checks it can't cash.

I dunno, i've seen some of the poo poo people waste their time on. we're conditioned over several generations at this point to pay the TV man to have noise and picture in our homes, if quality goes downhill it'll only be a steepening of an already downward curve. the hogs will still pay

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

fknlo posted:

is there something beyond the standard not interested button? because that one does nothing for me

You really have to not watch the thing. Tough for stuff like the tikthots, as you mentioned.

My TikTok algo is spicy and makes YouTube or Instagram look foolish.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Chad Sexington posted:

You really have to not watch the thing. Tough for stuff like the tikthots, as you mentioned.

My TikTok algo is spicy and makes YouTube or Instagram look foolish.

Yeah if you at all indicate you're interested in the slop, it will keep sending you slop

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Hootington posted:

A good portion of people wouldn't care and would prefer it is my guess. Look at the perverts on these forums. Hell some cspam threads constantly post ai generated pictures as thread content.

AI generated Shrek horror toilet movie when?

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Mr Hootington posted:

A good portion of people wouldn't care and would prefer it is my guess. Look at the perverts on these forums. Hell some cspam threads constantly post ai generated pictures as thread content.

The ONLY good call cinci ever made was gassing the AI thread in D&D; should have stayed gassed.

edit:
https://twitter.com/slack2thefuture/status/1678960256586776576

StratGoatCom has issued a correction as of 19:07 on Jul 12, 2023

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

its the summer stupid

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It's mostly language cruft from fifty years ago that hasn't caught up. "Millionaire" has a connotation of meaning "unbelievably wealthy," regardless of actual dollar amount. Nowadays you can't even really retire with just a million dollars.

Ask an Advisor: We're 65, Have $1 Million Saved and $42K in Social Security Benefits. Can We Live on $90K Per Year?

quote:

My wife and I are both 65 years old. She will retire this year and I’ll work until I’m 67. We’ll get about $42,000 in Social Security and have about $1 million in savings. Can we live on $90,000 per year?

A: $90,000 per year is going to be pushing the upper limit of what I’d be comfortable with as a general rule. Whether it will work for you, however, is highly individualized. I’ll give you an overview of some of the things you’ll want to look into before deciding if you are comfortable with spending $90,000 per year.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I wonder how easy it would be to become an AI grifter and get hired into figgiesland just by saying AI a lot.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

skooma512 posted:

I wonder how easy it would be to become an AI grifter and get hired into figgiesland just by saying AI a lot.

just look at nvidia stock

so yea

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Hellworld option is where not only do AIs write the scripts but the "prompt engineer" gets mad when the actors try to make suggestions or improv during filming

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/globeandmail/status/1679105856863100928
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1678816420547756033

like I said, the studios are coping.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
like I said I hope I’m wrong but I have a feeling I’m not. the landscape is horrifically not in favor of writers right now unless SAG suddenly discovers solidarity

it’s possible CBS or a cable network may sign but not streaming writ large. the pigs will pay and it’s not needed for share prices to keep going sky high. if anything, signing would result in share prices plummeting

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer
AI isn't really suited to replace writers in Hollywood. Despite the fact AI can cheaply create millions of terrible movie scripts, those scripts aren't copyrightable without significant human rework, and despite the copywrite issue studios can only film a small handful of movies and shows anyhow. If you're having people rework schlock, you might as well have them write it. Despite those short-term problems if they pursued AI written works, they would be handing over a significant portion of writing to a for profit company as they do not have the tools and knowledge in house. This would give significant bargaining power to those controlling the Hollywood LLVM model, and as of yet these models are not things that can just be moved from one company to another to chase better rates.

AI is a huge minefield for executives who just need to starve out the writers using the same tools they have been using for centuries. Situation now is the execs know audiences like terrible rehashed bullshit and the bar for writing it is much lower than WGA provides and charges for.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Xaris posted:

like I said I hope I’m wrong but I have a feeling I’m not. the landscape is horrifically not in favor of writers right now unless SAG suddenly discovers solidarity

it’s possible CBS or a cable network may sign but not streaming writ large. the pigs will pay and it’s not needed for share prices to keep going sky high. if anything, signing would result in share prices plummeting

They were on about the exact same poo poo the last strike, and it's a bad time for them anyway; this thread often takes certain outfits too closely at their word.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
you’re right there’s absolutely nothing different from 2007 and 2023. end of history ftw

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
99% of the entertainment being produced has scripts that sound like an AI generated them. This is not to say the WGA is wrong. In fact, it means they need more money and more support to not be overworked and to be allowed to write well. gently caress the studios.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

[Doomsday Bidenomics]

Big Bad Idiot
Jun 27, 2023

by vyelkin
Sag will probably strike starting tomorrow morning and negotiations will resume within a few weeks after that.

Meanwhile WGA hasn't even gotten a counter offer and a few execs were quoted in articles as aiming for resuming negotiations in late october

SAG isn't going to say "please talk to WGA before talking to us" but what they do negotiate will set a standard. DGA negotiated too quickly

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Number

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Awful. I knew they were doomed after the terrible rebrand but this is so fast. Sapporo really managed to sink them like a, well, like an anchor.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Great Prime Day deals on climate arson

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

mad.radhu posted:

This is where I remember that one of the things that made the execs walk away from the table outright was when WGA asked for restrictions on the use of AI

the future of entertainment is having Paramount Plus Bot generate you a TV show that is literally genuinely just slop in a trough, zero substance visual Soylent devoid of any human value

From listening to the Going Rogue podcast the Directors Guild of America, whose deals with the studios has traditionally been used by the WGA because the DGA usually just deals with them on their own and that makes the WGA lose all leverage, already got a ban on "generative" AI that might replace workers.

AI seems to just be a distraction. It all comes down to sharing revenue from streaming and trying to attach some sort of residuals to the model. Which the studios are apparently willing to burn everything down about.

Listen to the Going Rogue podcast

Big Bad Idiot
Jun 27, 2023

by vyelkin
WGA brought talent agents to heel just a few years ago they are a pretty tough org and at some point the entertainment industry will need something to draw more subscribers/ticket sales

unless they can put stuff like Tiger King into theaters, which maybe they can

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Thank you, consultants!

Big Bad Idiot
Jun 27, 2023

by vyelkin

Shageletic posted:

From listening to the Going Rogue podcast the Directors Guild of America, whose deals with the studios has traditionally been used by the WGA because the DGA usually just deals with them on their own and that makes the WGA lose all leverage, already got a ban on "generative" AI that might replace workers.

AI seems to just be a distraction. It all comes down to sharing revenue from streaming and trying to attach some sort of residuals to the model. Which the studios are apparently willing to burn everything down about.

Listen to the Going Rogue podcast

its also about how some shows only have like 6 episodes and 18 months between seasons and so don't want to staff a lot of writers. Or how writers who worked on development don't become staff.

But the writers don't want to see the old model of writing being an actual career instead of a gig job for the passionate (i.e. trust fund kids who don't need real paycheck and the naive and exploitable excited to break in) go away

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
economics is a science

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Weird how it feels like every industry is lead by complete psychos with zero long-term plan and everyone is shrugging saying "hopefully someone figures something out"

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Business Gorillas posted:

Weird how it feels like every industry is lead by complete psychos with zero long-term plan and everyone is shrugging saying "hopefully someone figures something out"

The long term plan is always "crush labor"

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Vox Nihili posted:

Thank you, consultants!

lmao that's just landshark's logos and colors

fuckin "STEAM BEER" lol

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Business Gorillas posted:

What about "if we destroy the union we never need to negotiate again" isn't a long term plan

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
without a union their profits will go to infinity so it is worth bankrupting themselves to do it, since then after everything collapses they'll make infinite profits

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

FlapYoJacks posted:

99% of the entertainment being produced has scripts that sound like an AI generated them. This is not to say the WGA is wrong. In fact, it means they need more money and more support to not be overworked and to be allowed to write well. gently caress the studios.

The other night a friend and I watched some Simpsons for the first time in probably over 10 years and it would be completely believable if you said it was written by an AI trained on the previous 33 years of episodes

Big Bad Idiot
Jun 27, 2023

by vyelkin

apatheticman posted:

economics is a science

the dismal science

Big Bad Idiot
Jun 27, 2023

by vyelkin
if theatrical releases die for another year then many theaters will die and the studios will be left without one of their major facets of marketing and sales lol

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Xaris posted:

you’re right there’s absolutely nothing different from 2007 and 2023. end of history ftw

bread keeps getting more expensive and now I hear they’re loving with the circuses? you seem like a history knower, has this ever come up before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
meh, the biggest “Hollywood” studios are overdue for a bust cycle. they’ve been shoveling billion dollar garbage out the door for well over a decade and even the rubes cant muster up the will to see the 45th marvel movie or whatever

we intentionally stagnated pop culture for the benefit of the market and hopefully the condors have come home to roost