Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

anime was right posted:

twitter api costs are astronomical. between twitter and reddit, social is toast. i cannot stress this enough: it is going to become a wild west land where nazis run everything and no one wants to touch it with a 420 foot pole. corporations and advertising will not persist as entities on social at this rate.

good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

social media balkanization ftw

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

it's like one of those "release snakes to get rid of the mice, release mongoose to get rid of the snakes, release bears to get rid of the mongoose" kind of situations

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

the hopeful endgame being that bears ultimately rule the internet

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Lol the actual endgame is that zuck controls everything and lets his PR team handle all questions instead of fronting being a psychopath.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Malloc Voidstar posted:

when did he add the fake date to his account

demongirl.gay

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

genuine question does 4chan still exist? someone told me a while ago that the ownership was trying to keep down the nsfw stuff to make the site more advertiser friendly since that worked out so well for tumblr

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

I don't know poo poo about cars but even those old metal trash cans were galvanized. Does tin not stick to stainless steel or someshit?

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man

Can't wait for these to start hitting shops in half a decade, gonna be really fun

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Zeroisanumber posted:

I don't know poo poo about cars but even those old metal trash cans were galvanized. Does tin not stick to stainless steel or someshit?

*screaming in metallurgy*

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

genuine question does 4chan still exist? someone told me a while ago that the ownership was trying to keep down the nsfw stuff to make the site more advertiser friendly since that worked out so well for tumblr

It does. They sort of split the site in 2 so you can’t click the NSFW boards from the safe side. It didn’t work. They got dropped by more ad networks after the Christchurch shooting iirc, so god knows what dregs advertise there now.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Zeroisanumber posted:

galvanization adds a pretty significant amount of weight, 10-15%

rust in car bodies is typically handled by painting the body, it's the reason cars are painted, the cosmetic side is just a bonus

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

RealityWarCriminal posted:

galvanize? tin? to stainless????

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man

FirstnameLastname posted:

galvanization adds a pretty significant amount of weight, 10-15%

rust in car bodies is typically handled by painting the body, it's the reason cars are painted, the cosmetic side is just a bonus

If you paint over rust, the rust is still there. If you've ever seen bubbling paint, that's usually due to rust or corrosion underneath

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

I also don't know poo poo about metallurgy.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
it's a guilty pleasure when cspam gives car takes its always so innocently uninformed
it reminds me of my little brother thinking that the exhaust pipes pushed a car forward

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

chassis frames tend to be dipped in paint. not sure for those unibody stampings tho.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Poco posted:

If you paint over rust, the rust is still there. If you've ever seen bubbling paint, that's usually due to rust or corrosion underneath

oops i meant handled as in prevented, not treated

surface rust can be sanded off but if it's penetrated past the surface the only solution is to cut out all the rusted parts, it's metalcancer

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

rodbeard posted:

demongirl.gay
it was free and i didn't have a better idea before the coupon expired :shrug:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Zeroisanumber posted:

stainless steel in car frames is not used as it's too expensive. I think you can galvanize (with zinc, not tin) stainless steel but it would be pointless, as stainless already has better corrosion resistance.

Firstname mentioned the weight of galvanizing but it also flakes really easily

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Elon letting them rust like that made me lol in the same way that I did when some dog-brained moron over in SE Asia shut off the a/c in the department store he owned to save a few bucks during Covid and ruined his entire stock of goods because crazy humidity in an enclosed space caused massive amounts of mold to grow on everything.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
it really depends on the specific properties of the steel. i hope elon is using corten steel though, that would actually be interesting

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
see if you can galactivate these rusted nuts

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

stainless steel in car frames is not used as it's too expensive. I think you can galvanize (with zinc, not tin) stainless steel but it would be pointless, as stainless already has better corrosion resistance.

Firstname mentioned the weight of galvanizing but it also flakes really easily

So he just let a shitload of expensive frames rot for nothing? Perfect. No notes.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

it doesn't look like much rust and you can clean it off before painting :shrug:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

wemgo posted:

it really depends on the specific properties of the steel. i hope elon is using corten steel though, that would actually be interesting

if you ever want to dye blue coveralls red, this is the way to go

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

UFOTacoMan posted:

see if you can galactivate these rusted nuts

the year is 2037. a graveyard of cybrtrks sits abandoned in a texan scrap yard. it’s eerily quiet, save for the odd gust of wind jangling long forgotten pairs of rusted truck nutz…

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

it doesn't look like much rust and you can clean it off before painting :shrug:
that sounds like it could cost money; better just paint the rust

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Poco posted:

People never believed me when I would tell them this at the parts store during the college years because, why would their grandpa father uncle cousin lie to them??

Truck fender flares were so bad about this in the 80s and you'd just be painting holey shards after a while

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Zeroisanumber posted:

stainless resists corrosion way better than galvanized steel. also you can't weld tin to steel, or anything

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Fox will continue to focus on Twitter and Truth even if only Nazis post there, and those opinions will continue to poison discourse

But yea lots of people are just gonna burn out of Twitter-style social media

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Zeroisanumber posted:

So he just let a shitload of expensive frames rot for nothing? Perfect. No notes.

my cities skyline has a couple skyscrapers currently rotting away half finished for years now because the money ran out. some dumb car frames seem like peanuts compared to that

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Poco posted:

those are victory bubbles

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Poco posted:

reported

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 72 days!

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/SaeedDiCaprio/status/1679177972874461210?t=Y5p8ZF5imq66LMKBm_2U0w&s=19

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

thats cspam on its way to twitter to read the epic elon musk tweets

bigstupidjellyfish
Oct 25, 2010

according to this, it won't hide your likes on the tweets themselves, just the list of liked tweets on your profile. I imagine this will be changed in time, because 1.) people will figure out a way to look up all the nazi/lolicon posts elon has liked anyway, and 2.) entirely hiding the usernames of people who liked a tweet will allow him to inject tons of fake likes to fake engagement without having to use a botnet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
thank you for hiding twitter likes elon musk sir now the world is safe