Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

But now Torgal can ride on Ambrosia’s back, so it evens out for him

I'm sad Ambrosia is never acknowledged in the main plot due to being a potentially missable Sidequest unlock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I'm sad Ambrosia is never acknowledged in the main plot due to being a potentially missable Sidequest unlock

This leads me to believe that Ambrosia was never going to be part of the post time skip story and exists as a mechanic to fix a problem with traversal//backtracking being incredibly tedious.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
It seems slightly weird to me how some folks act as if it was completely unambiguous that Clive died in the ending. Especially if they are also of the opinion that Clive dying runs contrary to the theme and message of the game.

I mean, it's certainly one read of the scene, and valid at that, but it is by no means the only one. His hand is petrified, but we do not see it spreading, and while he collapses in the beach, it could just as easily be into unconsciousness due exhaustion as death.

I would otherwise have settled into it being purposefully ambiguous, maybe leaning a bit towards death, but the book in the post-credits scene is such a massive hint that Clive survived, since either he or Joshua wrote it, and Clive was gifted a quill and considered the idea of writing a book on-screen.

And do not give me "well, maybe the Undying wrote the book for Joshua". They wouldn't have dared to publish it under their master's name.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Warden posted:

It seems slightly weird to me how some folks act as if it was completely unambiguous that Clive died in the ending. Especially if they are also of the opinion that Clive dying runs contrary to the theme and message of the game.

I mean, it's certainly one read of the scene, and valid at that, but it is by no means the only one. His hand is petrified, but we do not see it spreading, and while he collapses in the beach, it could just as easily be into unconsciousness due exhaustion as death.

I would otherwise have settled into it being purposefully ambiguous, maybe leaning a bit towards death, but the book in the post-credits scene is such a massive hint that Clive survived, since either he or Joshua wrote it, and Clive was gifted a quill and considered the idea of writing a book on-screen.

And do not give me "well, maybe the Undying wrote the book for Joshua". They wouldn't have dared to publish it under their master's name.

Everyone crying their eyes out would be weird if it was just a fakeout.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If they wanted to unambiguously say that Clive wrote that book, it would have been authored by Clive. But personally I think people overvalue the significance of the stinger. We know hardly any context for it.

I'm in the Clive is dead camp but there's no getting around the fact the ending appears to be deliberately ambiguous.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bewilderment posted:

Jill is apparently 'too strained' but on the flipside Joshua is spewing blood so it's not as convincing an argument as it could've been.

Jill isn't 'too strained'. She is on thr verge of getting the Bearer's curse. Joshua is frail and has a chunk of Ultima in his chest but has rarely transformed and being in Phoenix form heals him temporarily (same way Hugo gets his hands back and Clive can regrow an arm)

They could have written the story different but within the confines of the story Jill is not in great shape for anime battles

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wow the White Dragon in the Bahamut main mission is quite scary on Final Fantasy mode.

Also, that mission is loooong. 2 segments of running through the level and 3 bosses

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I mean, they see Origin go boom and no sight of either Phoenix or Bahamut flying home from there, of course they think all three are dead at that moment, and are sad about it. None of them are aware that Clive didn't die with Origin, and is now lying on beach somewhere, with his hand petrified and slipping into unconsciousness/death.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Maybe in real life, but narratively you'd expect them to hold out hope for as long as possible. Which means not crying literally first thing.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

Maybe in real life, but narratively you'd expect them to hold out hope for as long as possible. Which means not crying literally first thing.

Yeah, combined with the red star literally winking out is like the most narrative "he dead" poo poo ever. Esp while a sad ending song plays.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Do you think Origin is still up there? They never show it plummeting into the sea -- just a cut of Clive washed up on the beach.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

SettingSun posted:

Do you think Origin is still up there? They never show it plummeting into the sea -- just a cut of Clive washed up on the beach.

I mean, that's probably WHY he's washed up on a beach. It collapsed into the ocean

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Jill isn't 'too strained'. She is on thr verge of getting the Bearer's curse. Joshua is frail and has a chunk of Ultima in his chest but has rarely transformed and being in Phoenix form heals him temporarily (same way Hugo gets his hands back and Clive can regrow an arm)

They could have written the story different but within the confines of the story Jill is not in great shape for anime battles

Joshua is suffering from the curse, too. The wound where he sealed Ultima is described as "ringed with stone" after the Bahamut fight, and when Joshua talks about it, he mentions that he's been constantly using the Phoenix's healing powers to prevent that wound from killing him. He may not have transformed much but he's been using his powers basically nonstop for five years.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

One way to read Jill's expression as she looks at the sunrise is that she's decided to have hope that Clive will return (the other way being that she's taking solace in the new dawn, of course).

Warden posted:

It might not be relevant but the lyrics to the song "My Star" (the one that plays over the ending while Clive is on the beach and everyone's crying) very strongly suggests he never returns. It's a very "My Heart Will Go On" song about keeping a loved one's "flame" alive in the singer's heart while bidding them farewell. It's easy to read that as being from Jill's perspective as she mourns Clive.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
In XVI-2 Clive shows up knowing Instant Transmission and then dies of a heart attack at age 36

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

If there's any story continuation to this I will eat an ostrich shank

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah I'd be very surprised to see any sort of sequel or post-story DLC. As much as I joke about what a sequel could entail I don't think there'll be one. This is the kind of ending, at least for the world itself (if not for the characters), that's more powerful without a continuation I think.

If there's any DLC I'd expect it to either take place during the story (like new hunts or a new side story or something) or be a prequel.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

ImpAtom posted:

She was in good enough shape to fight like 5 behemoths and a horde of Akashic

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I crave an X-2 style sequel. It can even star Jill.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

If there's any story continuation to this I will eat an ostrich shank

I just feel I should point out that the last Final Fantasy game that didn't have either a sequel or a patched-in altered ending was FF9 which was 23 years ago.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

YoshiP seemed kind of surprised people wanted DLC didn't he?

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
so maybe I'm dumb but why was Dion able to control bahamut for origin? wasn't in established like a few hours earlier that "while yes they can summon their eikon after clive absorbs it, they couldn't control them and they became enraged"

CharlestonJew posted:

She was in good enough shape to fight like 5 behemoths and a horde of Akashic

I laughed at that part, like what was it Jill, Gav and a few more? against "the entire army" of akashic and an akashic behemoth, when only an hour before you fight just a normal behemoth, and everyone acts like it's a huge deal, and while it wasn't hard or anything, it did take a significant mythos level beating I just don't see any of the gang being able to even approach, and yet you get back like noice good job team, oops you missed this one shambling zombie

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 12, 2023

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

runaway dog posted:

so maybe I'm dumb but why was Dion able to control bahamut for origin? wasn't in established like a few hours earlier that "while yes they can summon their eikon after clive absorbs it, they couldn't control them and they became enraged"

He has the will of a warrior

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

YoshiP seemed kind of surprised people wanted DLC didn't he?

Look, I like YoshiP, he can claim that but there's a giant fuckoff door you can't enter where Clive has unique dialogue going "Wow, I sure wish I could go in there and explore." There is no way they didn't at least plan for DLC.

runaway dog posted:

It isn't really established. The only two people we see Eikon after are Benedikta (who was so mentally hosed up that transforming actually fractured her psyche into Egis that persisted after her head got seven'd) and Hugo (who was so mentally hosed up he turned into a giant devil creature.) The only thing we're really told is that once you lose your Dominant power that transforming becomes a lot riskier. Dion just didn't give a poo poo as he'd already said goodbye to his boyfriend and blamed himself for the city disaster so he was willing to risk it.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Look, I like YoshiP, he can claim that but there's a giant fuckoff door you can't enter where Clive has unique dialogue going "Wow, I sure wish I could go in there and explore." There is no way they didn't at least plan for DLC.

It isn't really established. The only two people we see Eikon after are Benedikta (who was so mentally hosed up that transforming actually fractured her psyche into Egis that persisted after her head got seven'd) and Hugo (who was so mentally hosed up he turned into a giant devil creature.) The only thing we're really told is that once you lose your Dominant power that transforming becomes a lot riskier. Dion just didn't give a poo poo as he'd already said goodbye to his boyfriend and blamed himself for the city disaster so he was willing to risk it.

I kinda just saw that a blackthorne is a giant curmudgeon and was the type to put a sign on his room that says keep the gently caress out or get slapped with the side of a greataxe.

also aww, I like that take, felt bad for Joshua when Dion bit it cuz I could tell he was sweet on him.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

He has the will of a warrior
hell yes :izwf:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

runaway dog posted:

I kinda just saw that a blackthorne is a giant curmudgeon and was the type to put a sign on his room that says keep the gently caress out or get slapped with the side of a greataxe.

also aww, I like that take, felt bad for Joshua when Dion bit it cuz I could tell he was sweet on him.

hell yes :izwf:

No, not that one. There's one in that one area of the Blight near Phoenix Gate which Clive says looks like a Fallen ship.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

No, not that one. There's one in that one area of the Blight near Phoenix Gate which Clive says looks like a Fallen ship.

oh poo poo right I totally forgot about that.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
You know, if the rumours about Leviathan DLC content and "something in the water" near Northreach are correct... maybe Clive fell into the ocean and was saved by Leviathan? That's my wild theory for the day.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Dion has the power of being completely gently caress-all suicidal, it lets him do whatever is necessary to find his glorious death.

His quest with Harpocrates hurt because Harpocrates knew, the second Dion asked him to hold onto the flower, that Dion wasn't planning to come back, and you could see it in his body language.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

lines posted:

You know, if the rumours about Leviathan DLC content and "something in the water" near Northreach are correct... maybe Clive fell into the ocean and was saved by Leviathan? That's my wild theory for the day.

I like it. Excellent call back. I'd definitely roll with it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jetrauben posted:

Dion has the power of being completely gently caress-all suicidal, it lets him do whatever is necessary to find his glorious death.

His quest with Harpocrates hurt because Harpocrates knew, the second Dion asked him to hold onto the flower, that Dion wasn't planning to come back, and you could see it in his body language.

Yeah, there is no chance Dion was coming back unless Joshua sucker-punched him and dragged him back. I figure even if by some miracle he survived he would pull a Shadow and hang out in the ruins as they collapsed.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I can definitely buy that they were OK with Jill fighting normally (maybe even semi-priming in an emergency), but absolutely, 100% uncool with her priming. That is consistently shown to take way, way more out of Dominants.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah it seems like Dominants are much, much more resistant to the Crystals' Curse than normal Bearers when it comes to just using elemental magic, but semi-priming and priming really takes it out of them. They demonstrate that pretty clearly with Cid. He can fling lightning around no problem, but every time he semi-primes or primes he coughs up blood. Which makes sense, channeling the amount of aether required to prime would probably insta-petrify anyone other than a Dominant.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

Yeah it seems like Dominants are much, much more resistant to the Crystals' Curse than normal Bearers when it comes to just using elemental magic, but semi-priming and priming really takes it out of them. They demonstrate that pretty clearly with Cid. He can fling lightning around no problem, but every time he semi-primes or primes he coughs up blood. Which makes sense, channeling the amount of aether required to prime would probably insta-petrify anyone other than a Dominant.

Yeah, and in comparison Clive gets tuckered out but seems to take Ifriting much better, but he hits his limit with Raise.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, and in comparison Clive gets tuckered out but seems to take Ifriting much better, but he hits his limit with Raise.

I'm picturing Barnabus showing up in the finale with his creepy high pitched voice "is mythos tired?!"

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

lines posted:

The frozen wave and Origin are nowhere close to each other, like literally on the other side of the continent. Also it's there before the end of the game

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

runaway dog posted:

I'm picturing Barnabus showing up in the finale with his creepy high pitched voice "is mythos tired?!"

That reminds me, Barnabus’s actor really needed to make a final decision about how his character pronounced “mythos” at some point. Different characters from different lands can have different accents, but that one dude flip flopping…

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Bugblatter posted:

That reminds me, Barnabus’s actor really needed to make a final decision about how his character pronounced “mythos” at some point. Different characters from different lands can have different accents, but that one dude flip flopping…

I noticed him saying "myeathos" after clive said it like that, it's like he was like "oh poo poo am I pronouncing that wrong, lemme just casually say it right from now on" but then forgot

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

RatHat posted:

The frozen wave and Origin are nowhere close to each other, like literally on the other side of the continent. Also it's there before the end of the game

I... didn't say it was. Just if Leviathan is somehow Around... it's a wild theory!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Myüthos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My theory:

Leviathan was lost because it got teleported to the world of FFXIV where the Warrior of Light beat it up so they could get a Torgal minion and a Jill dress.