Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
kinda feel like the more i play of fft the more i hope if we do get a remaster it's a kidn of tactics ogre reborn thing where it goes even further than the psp port in tweaking different stuff, cause i can see where the love for a lot of different aspects of this game comes from but i also feel like it could benefit from just generally rejiggering a lot about it. cant remember if ffta really did any of what i'd want with that beyond simplifying it down a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

kinda feel like the more i play of fft the more i hope if we do get a remaster it's a kidn of tactics ogre reborn thing where it goes even further than the psp port in tweaking different stuff, cause i can see where the love for a lot of different aspects of this game comes from but i also feel like it could benefit from just generally rejiggering a lot about it. cant remember if ffta really did any of what i'd want with that beyond simplifying it down a lot

FFTA is really basically an entirely different beast aside from being a strategy RPG.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I kind of like Lloyd and Wazy's interactions but Wazy really strikes me as the kind of guy you have a good weekend with but a terrible boyfriend!

Lloyd has good interactions with the guys but bad interactions with the gals. Yet all the gals are more into him. Its crazy

Wazy and Randy are the only real options.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Meowywitch posted:

Tell me I'm curious

HECK YEAH SWORDS

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I thought his romance with Elie was decent enough.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

RareAcumen posted:

The only Kurt I know is from Disgaea 1 and I knew that wasn't right.

the thirty-eighth defeinder of earth...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

I thought his romance with Elie was decent enough.

I admit to me she is the character equivalent of plain white bread. She does not have enough interesting traits or character to actually have a feeling about her. She exists. Maybe her interactions with him were good but lord do I barely remember anything about her.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I thought Noel was supposed to be the plain down to earth one with no super weird backstory of the romanceable Crossbell ladies. At least Elie has her granddad.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah idk elie is like. for a game with a party much smaller than cold steel and thus not opening itself up as hard to having those kinds of blander throwaway leads she's somehow the elliot of crossbell. she's kinda important and kinda matters but she and lloyd make up two boring characters in a four person party.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Junpei posted:

I thought Noel was supposed to be the plain down to earth one with no super weird backstory of the romanceable Crossbell ladies. At least Elie has her granddad.

noel is, slightly more interesting for how basic and boring she is. she's at least that in a notable way, elie is just kind of exactly what she seems like she'd be and what she seems like she'd be is not very interesting

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
I feel like Lloyd and Rean are similar in areas where they should be opposites of each other. Lloyd is the hardworking normal-ish guy who can sometimes use deductive reasoning, he should not be oblivious to people's affections towards him. Rean is Special and has literal superpowers, he should not be a down-to-earth leader who is everybody's best friend. Maybe they weren't written with comparisons to each other in mind initially, but it seems like these games ended up so closely tied together that it was inevitable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Noel gets to pull out a rocket launcher and ride around on a motorcycle so she has that going for her.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Greaseman posted:

I feel like Lloyd and Rean are similar in areas where they should be opposites of each other. Lloyd is the hardworking normal-ish guy who can sometimes use deductive reasoning, he should not be oblivious to people's affections towards him. Rean is Special and has literal superpowers, he should not be a down-to-earth leader who is everybody's best friend. Maybe they weren't written with comparisons to each other in mind initially, but it seems like these games ended up so closely tied together that it was inevitable.

I mean, Rean's real defining trait as a character for basically the entire Cold Steel series is depression. He's adopted and he feels like a burden on his family, doubly so because he's a freak and he's terrified that he'll lose control and turn into a monster. Selflessly throwing himself at other peoples' problems is his primary way of coping with that, so of course he's "down to earth" and "everybody's best friend," because if he's difficult to get along with then everyone will realize how awful he is and leave him. Lloyd is oblivious to how others feel about him, but Rean is in denial.

Then they all leave him at the end of Cold Steel 2 anyway, which has nothing to do with him but feels like a rejection anyway. And his super powers immediately get worse and worse until they're mostly uncontrollable, because the super powers are a metaphor for all his difficult emotions. Which is why Cold Steel 3 ends the way it does and why Cold Steel 4 starts the way it does.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I feel like Elie's primary character trait is "love interest" and she's written exactly like you'd expect from that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It turns out I do not like manual mapping at all. Well thank god Etrian Odyssey has a "put the drat walls down for me" option even if I still manually gotta do other parts

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like Elie's relationship with Mariabell.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I've kind of gotten conflicting impressions, but how important is Trails in the Sky 3rd to the overall plot and world? Like I've heard it helps explain some unclear things but also it's not really an important plot episode, and if I can trim out a whole long-rear end JRPG from the Required Play List on that series I kind of think I'd want to.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I've never played Sky 3rd and honestly I don't notice anything I might be missing from it. I assume it introduced some characters but every game introduces a billion characters all the time so it's kind of hard for me to tell which ones are new and which ones might be from 3rd.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The thing you're missing from Sky 3rd is having a great time because its one of the best ones!

It's also not very important to the overall narrative. The main protagonist is never that important again and the whole plot is just an excuse to explore his deal. It's good though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
3rd isn't important but like. honestly if what you're playing trails games for is specific importance to the wider plotline that's not as much of the reason you should play them as people act like it is.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I like Elie's relationship with Mariabell.

any character can be made more interesting by being tied to an insane lesbian

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

The Colonel posted:

3rd isn't important but like. honestly if what you're playing trails games for is specific importance to the wider plotline that's not as much of the reason you should play them as people act like it is.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The thing you're missing from Sky 3rd is having a great time because its one of the best ones!

It's also not very important to the overall narrative. The main protagonist is never that important again and the whole plot is just an excuse to explore his deal. It's good though.

Y'know what, entirely fair. I was looking at the size of the overall series by now and my brain went, "Oh god, what can I jettison," but I should probably consider it more a matter of enjoying things along the way instead of wanting to get to the end/catch up.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
You’ll know whether to play 3rd when you finish SC. If you see the credits and are desperate to spend more time with the characters, play 3rd; if not, don’t. (It will still be there later if you decide to go back, after all.)

There are a lot of Trails games, so realistically you aren’t going to play them one after another anyway. Enjoy your time with them!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The Colonel posted:

If you play romhacks, look up Laggy Fantasy Tactics. It's a pretty exceptional rebalancing of the game. (It gives the jobs more inherent abilities to better differentiate them, removes a lot of do nothing skills, makes everything cost way less, changes the jobs of like 1/3 of the enemies so not every battle is against four knights.)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

disposablewords posted:

Y'know what, entirely fair. I was looking at the size of the overall series by now and my brain went, "Oh god, what can I jettison," but I should probably consider it more a matter of enjoying things along the way instead of wanting to get to the end/catch up.

Reasons to play Sky 3rd.

If you want to know how Schera and Aina became besties and drinking buddies

If you want to know how Kloe joined the student counsel and became pals with the other minor characters in that school

If you think a short story about the relationship between the mayor and her maid from that market town would be neat.

If you want more Anelace.

It's a game about fleshing out minor details and just spending more time with these characters in less dramatic scenarios. It's very rewarding if you like the party and the minor cast but if you weren't too into them it's probably fine to skip.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

The Colonel posted:

nah, as one example if anything ffta encourages MORE just random walking around between map points because the mission system isnt too different from fft errands but now theres also laws meaning how you choose to walk around lets you game combats. kinda annoying in that respect

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

If you want to know how Schera and Aina became besties and drinking buddies

This is, of course, an important side story for all the Kurt fans in the audience.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Atelier Marie Remake is out today

Dunno why, but I do like the art style, even if I recognize that this is probably not an ideal place to drop into the Atelier series (I played Ayesha and Ryza maybe for an hour each; both were alright but didn't really grab me)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Meowywitch posted:

Tell me I'm curious
towa: she wants to take care of him
emma: she likes being able to relax around him
laura: swords
fie: swords? (the question mark is important)
alisa: she wants someone whos nice but also doesnt back down
musse: well she makes this clear enough herself

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

disposablewords posted:

I've kind of gotten conflicting impressions, but how important is Trails in the Sky 3rd to the overall plot and world? Like I've heard it helps explain some unclear things but also it's not really an important plot episode, and if I can trim out a whole long-rear end JRPG from the Required Play List on that series I kind of think I'd want to.
i mean if you're looking at the series like homework instead of a thing you play to have fun then you can skip all of them if you want. thats not a 'get out scrub' thing i just mean you shouldnt really be looking at stuff like that imo

sky 3 isnt that long and i like it a fair bit so id recommend playing it if you liked sky 1 and 2

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Endorph posted:

towa: she wants to take care of him
emma: she likes being able to relax around him
laura: swords
fie: swords? (the question mark is important)
alisa: she wants someone whos nice but also doesnt back down
musse: well she makes this clear enough herself

towa is my favorite even tho i havent played any of these games

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Meowywitch posted:

towa is my favorite even tho i havent played any of these games

towa is very small

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man Reverie just made it clear why Noel is better.

Elle: Is Sad, needs hugs.
Noel: Practiced riding a motorcycle in secret so that when Lloyd is trapped in an exploding factory she can do a sick-rear end jump through the flames, do a wheelie, grab him and throw him on, and then drive out through the flames while shooting rubble to keep it from falling on them.

One of those characters is much cooler!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

laura sitting down with a pen and paper and listing the eligible bachelors she knows, then ordering them by sword ability

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

nrook posted:

laura sitting down with a pen and paper and listing the eligible bachelors she knows, then ordering them by sword ability

Fie is at the top

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

TBH ever since Cold Steel 1 I thought Rean and Laura bonding over swords was the cutest relationship.

Edit: Also I would say she cares less aboit sword ability and more sword commitment.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 13, 2023

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Fie is at the top

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

nrook posted:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
rean's best girlfriend is jusis and i will never be convinced otherwise. yes yes i know crow!!!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Crow just isn't around as much to get as strong a bond

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Laura reminds me of Raquel from Wild Arms 4 and I hope she's awesome when I get to the Cold Steel series in 5 years at this rate