Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

First time having this big of an issue just priming. The rattlecan was on its last legs but I’ve used one to the end before without issue. The main thing I changed was having them lined up two deep taped to a cardboard box. Was that too many to prime at once? Was it too hot maybe? Easily in the 90sF (33-36C) here constantly, especially during the driest part of the day when the humidity actually goes down to 60%. Maybe I’m only meant to prime in the winter.

Is this salvageable? Or do I need to strip the worst ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

a fatguy baldspot posted:

First time having this big of an issue just priming. The rattlecan was on its last legs but I’ve used one to the end before without issue. The main thing I changed was having them lined up two deep taped to a cardboard box. Was that too many to prime at once? Was it too hot maybe? Easily in the 90sF (33-36C) here constantly, especially during the driest part of the day when the humidity actually goes down to 60%. Maybe I’m only meant to prime in the winter.

Its a crap shoot, but I have had luck with using a stiff bristled toothbrush to take off the fuzz. doesn't work all the time, if it is still furry./bumpy after just strip it.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

oh, fair. well, hopefully that post is useful to someone, anyhow.

No worries, it was a good effort post. Basically I stopped using my artist acrylics and got mini paints, way too many mini paints, and it has made painting minis way more enjoyable.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

It's most likely the distance you were spraying from since you say they were two-deep. It works best to spray down a line where the nozzle is about 6 to 12 inches away from the mini. Any further away and the paint is drying by the time it hits the surface in a lot of climates which gives you that spray-on-dust effect. It's particularly bad with white primers as they dry out faster than others from the type of pigment required.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Thank you for the tips - I've generally done a slapchop style on larger figures but these are so small, I figured it was silly and any darker areas would end up muddy and indistinct.

This is what I ended up with after a minute or so with some light blue on the carapace and yellow on the orange:

I think I am going to wash the recesses of the flesh with violet, rather than attempt to highlight.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jul 13, 2023

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Thanks y’all, pretty sure it was a distance thing. Gotta go get another can today and try again.

Related, does anyone know a good, cheaper match for Citadel White Scar? 20 bucks for a can hurts my heart.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Thanks y’all, pretty sure it was a distance thing. Gotta go get another can today and try again.

Related, does anyone know a good, cheaper match for Citadel White Scar? 20 bucks for a can hurts my heart.

Halfords White Spray Primer

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It's not glued but it's coming along 🥰

I think I'll make whatever the shield is called white instead of red tho

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

army painter matt white if you want a cheaper rattlecan primer made for miniatures.

krylon ultraflat is cheaper but you need to be careful with it, it's not a hobby primer so you can fill in detail. worst case it is acrylic, so you can remove it without any trouble.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Southern Heel posted:

Does anyone have any tips on making these models pop a bit more? They are white undercoat with contrast paints on top. Generally I’m happy with the palette, although I think it could be blended better, but it just doesn’t seem to have the variation in tone I’m hoping for - it’s all a bit uniform:

I’m pretty happy with highlighting, but I just don’t know how to make it work with contrast paints!?

The minis are getting lost in the bases, try applying a dilute shade or wash to the texture paste to mute it down a bit and then a light dry brush of a sandy color near the outer edges to bring the highpoints back out.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Thanks for the help deciding on the pose for my FemMarine, goons! Decided I would go with this:

The final deciding factor was when a friend who I play against said he didn't like the power fist.

That made me want to go with the power fist pose so I could power fist one of his dudes to smithereens with her.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Spanish Manlove posted:

That's too many coats dude.

You could have saved a lot of time, effort, and brush work by just sponging on colors from dark to light. It would have made a much more interesting texture without brush lines. Or the same thing but with a brush

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dogLPMCOr1c

I don't think I'd actually sat down and watched a Richard Gray video before, but this was really good. I like that he seems to be slightly confused a lot of the time, never remembering the name of any paints, and often straight up saying "don't do this, it's a huge waste of time". It's a good watch, without feeling overly polished.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Cease to Hope posted:

army painter matt white if you want a cheaper rattlecan primer made for miniatures.

krylon ultraflat is cheaper but you need to be careful with it, it's not a hobby primer so you can fill in detail. worst case it is acrylic, so you can remove it without any trouble.

I’ve tried krylon ultra flat and I wasn’t a fan. I’ll look into Halford’s and army painter matte white.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I've got a rattlecan question. When I went out to do some priming, I got a very weak and intermittent spray, which soon stopped. Then the cap started resisting being pushed down, and when I let go, the cap popped off the nozzle. I gave it another try, and paint started leaking from the cap. Perhaps against my better judgment, I tried shaking it while upside down and gave it one more try, but got the same result. At that point, I decided to stop messing around with a pressurized container of gas. Any insight into what might be going on here?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I've got a rattlecan question. When I went out to do some priming, I got a very weak and intermittent spray, which soon stopped. Then the cap started resisting being pushed down, and when I let go, the cap popped off the nozzle. I gave it another try, and paint started leaking from the cap. Perhaps against my better judgment, I tried shaking it while upside down and gave it one more try, but got the same result. At that point, I decided to stop messing around with a pressurized container of gas. Any insight into what might be going on here?

Either the nozzle is clogged or there is a clog inside the can. You can try with a different nozzle, if you have one of the same size and style. If you don't you can try soaking the nozzle overnight in a little ipa or cleaning solvent. That is pretty much the extent of troubleshooting you can do with the rattle cans.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Sounds like the nozzle is blocked. As you pressed it down the cap filled with propellant (equalising with the pressure in the can) making it harder to press down, then when you took your finger off the pressure in the cap pushed it up and away. Then paint (mixed with propellant) started being pushed in to the cap when you retried, and that leaked out, liquids being largely incompressible.

You could (and I am carefully choosing my words here) with the cap removed from the can have a prod at the nozzle of the cap from the front and underneath and see if you can clear it manually. You could maybe throw the cap in an ultrasonic cleaner if you have one of those. I usually find it easier to just swap the cap with the cap from another spray can, they are mostly interchangeable.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

IncredibleIgloo posted:

The designer of that miniature, Papsikels, they do a lot of pop culture stuff. Aliens, Terminator, and a lot of Predator. They even have some bizzaro pin-up predator lady models.

They make some really nice not-Xenomorphs. I'm still mad that they got a cease and desist when they previewed their not-Dune line, the figures looked just like the actors - which of course is why they got a C&D. I still wanted them.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

I’ve tried krylon ultra flat and I wasn’t a fan. I’ll look into Halford’s and army painter matte white.

i love it so much, what didnt you like about it?

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Awesome, thanks. I suspected that was the problem, but I didn't have this insight into how to go about fixing it.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

If you are in the UK check out colourforge. Bigger, cheaper cans that are matched to a whole bunch of citadel colours.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

My Spirit Otter posted:

i love it so much, what didnt you like about it?

I only used it for my first minis but I remember it being a fairly dull white. White scar is nice and bright.

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
I had so many issues with rattlecans that I ended up buying an airbrush set up, which is nice cause it’s freezing 6 months out of the year

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Started my magnus

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
That's a really pretty wing.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Pushing the more dark and more light and I think it's working - I washed the bases and drybrushed with a tan colour, added yellow to the orange and (not in this picture) baby blue highlights to the carapac:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Southern Heel posted:

Pushing the more dark and more light and I think it's working - I washed the bases and drybrushed with a tan colour, added yellow to the orange and (not in this picture) baby blue highlights to the carapac:

These look great

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Southern Heel posted:

these are looking fantastic, they are really popping now!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

What are the good gap fillers for plastic minis nowadays? The OP is from 2015 and I never had a good experience with GW liquid green stuff. Never tried the Mr. Hobby recommendation.

Would prefer something that you can use a hobby knife to shave just like you would nubs, if that's possible. For large surface minis I don't mind the types that you can sand, but that is difficult with smaller minis.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

What are the good gap fillers for plastic minis nowadays? The OP is from 2015 and I never had a good experience with GW liquid green stuff. Never tried the Mr. Hobby recommendation.

Would prefer something that you can use a hobby knife to shave just like you would nubs, if that's possible. For large surface minis I don't mind the types that you can sand, but that is difficult with smaller minis.

Have you tried Sprue Goo?

Take a like, I guess a half-empty bottle of Tamiya or the thin plastic cement of your choice, throw in chopped up bits of sprue until you get.. Well, a goo.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Seconding sprue goo, I was cynical about it until I made a bottle and now I have multiple consistencies and use it for everything. It’s incredible for filling gaps. Just gotta be careful spreading it
around, it’s quite sticky.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Thanks for the kind words. I've got most of the Nids painted up, so I figure for a crowning jewel in this army will be a cutesy little Hierophant bio-titan. The problem is, that it's a multi-part model and the joining surfaces have no keys or even flat surfaces. What's the best way to ensure when I'm pinning it, things line up like they should? I feel like I'm going to have to just wing it and then fill back with putty afterward?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Cthulu Carl posted:

Have you tried Sprue Goo?

Take a like, I guess a half-empty bottle of Tamiya or the thin plastic cement of your choice, throw in chopped up bits of sprue until you get.. Well, a goo.

I'm sorry, the stupid harmful poo poo I did with glue as a 10 year old is actually a viable modelling technique now?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Started my magnus

This is excellent!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Shoehead posted:

I'm sorry, the stupid harmful poo poo I did with glue as a 10 year old is actually a viable modelling technique now?

Other than eating it, yes.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Shoehead posted:

Sort of, except it only works because plastic cement isn't glue, it's just a dissolver. If you try using sprue goo on 3d printed resin, for example, it's going to not work nearly as well.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I am very, very surprised today that my order from Chapter Customizer, that I made in May of 2022, is now shipping.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I am very, very surprised today that my order from Chapter Customizer, that I made in May of 2022, is now shipping.

Seriously?

Guess I wont be ordering any transfers from them unless I plan to get around to finishing whatever models I want them on in late 2024

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

Seriously?

Guess I wont be ordering any transfers from them unless I plan to get around to finishing whatever models I want them on in late 2024

Yeah, and this was with a check in email to them about 6 months ago. I ordered some customized shoulder pads as well because it was before I had a 3d printer, so maybe that slowed them down? Unfortunately the models that would use the shoulderpads, Primaris marines, I think I have constructed all the ones I have and just used transfers instead, so won't need the shoulder pads now.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Chill la Chill posted:

Just get Milliput, it's like green stuff except it's easy to work with because it lacks the consistency of old bubblegum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've taken to using chunks of old sprue as test cases for what a paint will actually look like on a miniature.