Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

External Organs posted:

Do you have to unlock transmorgs per class? Or are they all shared throughout the classes.

Transmogs are shared, but not everything will drop for each class (obviously).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Anything dumb like a cheevo that I have to bump off in Season 0 or whatever we're calling this launch state?

Nothing I'm aware of!

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Vic posted:

It's a game they forced to be live service (this is not a battle royale or a MMO) and there's literally nothing about it that would preclude it from launching with a rich variety.

You're talking about this like it's an indie passion project.

it's a seasonal game, most arpg's are seasonal so it's pretty much a given this game was always going to be live service.

I'm treating the game as I would any live service by a publicly traded company. the decision makers only care about making the sales and meeting quarterly deadlines. Activision-Blizzard is particularly grimy and also trying to sell itself to Microsoft so it's completely expected for them to release whatever they had to meet sales metrics. even offline games from AAA studios are often released in lovely unfinished states these days.

with that said, if season 1 goes poorly, I'm probably just gonna bounce off the game until 2024 or 2025, when the devs have figured out what their players like.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Orange Crush Rush posted:

If Unique aren't supposed to be good, then what the hell is the point of them? Like this makes no sense to me lol.

Just because they're not always OP doesn't mean they're not meant to be good.

External Organs posted:

Do you have to unlock transmorgs per class? Or are they all shared throughout the classes.

Shared.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

So what are the must dos before the season kicks off? Shrines and map, obviously, anything else? I'm taking a break for a bit so I'm not burned out when the season drops, buy my main's only 83 or so. Anything I need to be focusing or is it pretty much just shrines and map?

Shrines and map yea, nothing else

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Tonetta posted:

it's a seasonal game, most arpg's are seasonal so it's pretty much a given this game was always going to be live service.

I'm treating the game as I would any live service by a publicly traded company. the decision makers only care about making the sales and meeting quarterly deadlines. Activision-Blizzard is particularly grimy and also trying to sell itself to Microsoft so it's completely expected for them to release whatever they had to meet sales metrics. even offline games from AAA studios are often released in lovely unfinished states these days.

with that said, if season 1 goes poorly, I'm probably just gonna bounce off the game until 2024 or 2025, when the devs have figured out what their players like.

This would require the players to reach anything vaguely resembling consensus as to what they like and lol at that happening. Blizz should probs ignore any feedback that doesn’t appear mostly universal, tbh.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Substandard posted:

I think most of the current uniques suck, but also I'm just shocked that there are so few of them. There are only like 4-5 per class with some things like penitent greaves (one of the few good uniques) that will drop for multiple classes.

On my bone spear necro there are no usable uniques outside of penitent (which are OK just because they are well itemized). I guess you could use the Fists of Fate, but you are giving up a potential +4 to bonespear so it's not a significant damage increase.

Ring of Mendeln is pretty good if you use minions though.

It seems weird I'm supposed to be excited about 1 new unique and 1 legendary aspect per class this season, but whatever. Maybe hearts will be super cool.

I run a BS necro (well, BS plus minions, not pure BS) and the hat that makes your BS drop AOE turds behind it is pretty good.

I gave up on the penitent greaves a long time ago because the slot is better used for a legendary affix. It's a useful utility item, but the opportunity cost of cutting down your number of affixes without a major boost is too much.

edit: deathless visage, that's what the name of the BS hat is.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Vic posted:

Transmogs are shared, but not everything will drop for each class (obviously).

Sweet. Thanks!

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Russad posted:

Transmogs? No, you just needed to get the item to drop. So if you found the hamburger or rainbow sword in prior seasons, you wouldn't be able to transmog them until you picked them up again in the new season.

I must be misremembering. Either way, d4 won't reset mog status.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Cyrano4747 posted:

I run a BS necro (well, BS plus minions, not pure BS) and the hat that makes your BS drop AOE turds behind it is pretty good.

I gave up on the penitent greaves a long time ago because the slot is better used for a legendary affix. It's a useful utility item, but the opportunity cost of cutting down your number of affixes without a major boost is too much.

edit: deathless visage, that's what the name of the BS hat is.

Yeah it's OK I guess. I had it for a little while, but it doesn't have + Max Life or + CDR so I'm not using it now. Crit for bone skills and +Max Essence is pretty good though! If I got a max roll one I'd probably give it a shot.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

bio347 posted:

IMO it's entirely fair to compare the state of a game that's a sequel to a game with over a decade of development (which was itself a sequel to a game that now has like two decades of dev) to those predecessors, because everyone probably should've learned something at some point!

Like. I don't think there's any excuse for dungeons to just be bad rifts when we've got ten years of rift development to look at! Hell, I'd argue that the Durance of Hate is more exciting and interesting than some D4 dungeons are.

I agree, it's mind boggling as to why not just lift the systems that worked straight from the previous title, especially the user requested ones that they added later on in development.

in my opinion, Activision-Blizzard is completely out of touch with what their players actually want and have been since the launch of sc2, because they have a decades-long cash cow in WoW and are no longer subject to failure. the people making the important decisions on how the games function have probably never played previous titles, nevermind worked on them. Hopefully they return to form if that sale to Microsoft goes through.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

unattended spaghetti posted:

This would require the players to reach anything vaguely resembling consensus as to what they like and lol at that happening. Blizz should probs ignore any feedback that doesn’t appear mostly universal, tbh.

I feel like the playerbase has made some universal complaints (such as monster pack size, lategame being empty, storage space, resistances, teleporting to nightmare dungeons) that the devs have already addressed individually. unfortunately, the answer we got on a lot of it was to wait for season 2, which they'll probably drop the ball on some of it, and then readdress it in season 4 or whatever.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

Oh I didn’t know what the price was

I just assumed

You loving clown.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

euphronius posted:

Oh I didn’t know what the price was

I just assumed

do you get paid to show your rear end like this or is it a kink

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Tonetta posted:

I feel like the playerbase has made some universal complaints (such as monster pack size, lategame being empty, storage space, resistances, teleporting to nightmare dungeons) that the devs have already addressed individually. unfortunately, the answer we got on a lot of it was to wait for season 2, which they'll probably drop the ball on some of it, and then readdress it in season 4 or whatever.
Yeah sorry I should clarify that methods for fixing the things that players do agree on should probably be disregarded. My bad. Not even touching resistances with a billion foot pole. Heh.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Assume just makes an rear end out of you and me

:smug:

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

A lot of them fundamentally change a skill in a way that basically unlocks a new style of gameplay, or massively augments one you're already using. I've mostly played necro so it's the one that I know the equipment, but off the top of my head there's one that makes your corpse bomb turn into suicide skeletons that naruto run at an enemy before blowing up, on that makes your bone spear spam AOE explosions as it flies, one that makes corpse explosion also kick off the four closest bodies as well, one that gives your minions a 10% chance to have their attacks be explosions, and one that makes your darkness skills also freeze enemies.

It's the sort of thing where you're going to want that modifier on your skill, but if you don't need it for your build there's likely to be a better legendary you can toss on, especially since you're going to be juggling affixes to try and figure out what synergizes with your weird unique modifier anyways.

This is a good take on uniques, I reckon.

They have two components - regular affixes which are fixed on unique items but pull from a shared pool with regular items, and unique affixes which are, obvi, unique and which compete with aspects.

The unique affixes should mostly do what Cyrano says - something unique that transforms a skill or provides a novel effect that's not available elsewhere or only available elsewhere in a significantly weaker form. Something to compete with an aspect in a way that changes the fundamental play of the build in some way. Mostly, the uniques do this bit well in the design of the modifiers based on my limited experience and review. Where they go wrong more often is that many unique affixes are numerically tuned well enough that they're usable and many others (more, frankly) are numerically tuned way too low. Different classes have it better or worse on both these axes. The fireball bounce one comes to mind, or frankly most sorc uniques, as affixes which are well designed but have garbage tuning. That said, plenty of the unique affixes have issues that aren't just numerical tuning. So this is two problems with uniques.

The third problem has to do with the regular affixes. They should be a solid B tier set of affixes for that slot for the build the unique enables. If a unique goes in a slot for a build that has cooldown recovery as the most important affix in that slot with life second, it should have an ok cdr roll at least. Possibly a top tier cdr roll but no life. Having neither is just not good enough, and this is the state of many uniques. But if they were as good as perfectly rolled rares, you'd either have to tune down the power of the unique mods too much or accept the sort of poo poo state of affairs where many or all builds become just a race to assemble the correct set of unique items. I would hate that, myself.

I think these are distinct criticisms of unique item design and when people talk about uniques being bad I'm always curious which of these three things they care about most. Are they saying the unique affixes themselves are bad, the numbers on them (possibly combined with the skill base numbers) are bad, or the regular affixes are bad? I mean, ideally all these things would be fixed, I get that. But I am curious where you'd focus first - fixing unique affix design, fixing unique affix tuning, or fixing regular affix selection.

Nanohahn
Jul 1, 2005

Why, I do believe I spy a president in that there dune.

satanic splash-back posted:

If you can't beat him by now the problem is in your gear choices or skill synergies. Or you keep standing still for his big hits. Boots with extra dodge charges help a lot for that.

Damage reduction % (both plain and close combat for most characters), +life, crit chance, vuln damage, crit damage.

I had been paying attention to skill synergies, crit chance and crit and vulnerability damage, but yeah, probably not enough.
Gained a level, switched to a Penetrating Shot build and he went down pretty smoothly.

American McGay posted:

I’ll power you through. zachhammer#1325

Thanks for the offer!

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

I like my WW barb and am kinda bummed I’ll “have” to stop for the season before getting bored or hitting 100. Actually excited for my next alt, but kinda bummed it will be seasonal and so be missing renown SP/paragon and a bank of crafting mats out the gate.

But I am an addict, and Diablo has been my drug of choice since middle school. So I’m not gonna pretend I’ll skip season 1 or anything silly like that.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

lol, looks like the UI rounds differently depending on what screen you're on.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

coelomate posted:

kinda bummed I’ll “have” to stop for the season

Highly relatable, as my HC character has found (almost all) Altars & Map Areas, and I don't want to RIP until that renown situation has become permanent

What a janky (but appreciated) fix lol

Also I'm pretty sure we are going to be ludicrously powerful out of the gate. Level 1 with +68 to primary stat and +5 skill points??

Not the same as starting with an actual bank of mats (and I'll forever miss the ability to Kanai Cube three passive abilities at Level 1), but I'm expecting a fast start!

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

I can't wait until it turns out the patch notes for the July 18th patch are just written in 72 point font

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Literally every skill and aspect in the game adjusted by plus or minus 2%.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Basic skills buffed by another 10%, you heard it here first!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Did we ever figure out if ONLY jewelery gets Malignant Sockets, or if it was jewelry ONLY gets Malignant Sockets?

And other gear can like... Get malignant or classic sockums

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Highly relatable, as my HC character has found (almost all) Altars & Map Areas, and I don't want to RIP until that renown situation has become permanent

What a janky (but appreciated) fix lol

Also I'm pretty sure we are going to be ludicrously powerful out of the gate. Level 1 with +68 to primary stat and +5 skill points??

Not the same as starting with an actual bank of mats (and I'll forever miss the ability to Kanai Cube three passive abilities at Level 1), but I'm expecting a fast start!

I had a preview of this when I played my barb up to about lvl 30 after hittting the 70s doldrums on my necro and yeah, it's loving nuts early on and then starts to plateau around lvl 20 or so.

edit: by plateau I mean that the difference isn't as night and day. Obviously you're better with 25 skill points than 20, but early on it's much more impactful.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

I can't wait until it turns out the patch notes for the July 18th patch are just written in 72 point font

Lawyer formatting.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

LMFAO!!!!!

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

pork never goes bad posted:

The third problem has to do with the regular affixes. They should be a solid B tier set of affixes for that slot for the build the unique enables. If a unique goes in a slot for a build that has cooldown recovery as the most important affix in that slot with life second, it should have an ok cdr roll at least. Possibly a top tier cdr roll but no life. Having neither is just not good enough, and this is the state of many uniques. But if they were as good as perfectly rolled rares, you'd either have to tune down the power of the unique mods too much or accept the sort of poo poo state of affairs where many or all builds become just a race to assemble the correct set of unique items. I would hate that, myself.

Knowing which affixes a build will want to prio per slot (aside from the general top choices) is not going to be easy to guess for blizzard guess before they make the item, and there may be 2 builds that want the same unique but have different stat priorities.

The easiest solution is to keep it basically as it is and allow players to reroll an affix like they do for every other piece of loot. You are very unlikely to get your perfectly rolled unique, but you can at least go for the top affix in that slot.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The Raiment of the Infinite unique chest absolutely slaps for lightning sorcerer when paired with boots that give you 3 extra dodges and the teleport enchantment that turns dodge into teleport. I do like 300% damage to stunned enemies and raiment sucks enemies in and stuns on teleport - and this includes dodge teleport.

My crit damage with lightning is 180% and I have 85% crit chance while my mana is above 100, which is usually is because crackling energy gives me mana and I'm usually surrounded by it.

Less effective against bosses since you can't stun them, but when they get staggered they just melt.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

wuffles posted:

Knowing which affixes a build will want to prio per slot (aside from the general top choices) is not going to be easy to guess for blizzard guess before they make the item, and there may be 2 builds that want the same unique but have different stat priorities.

The easiest solution is to keep it basically as it is and allow players to reroll an affix like they do for every other piece of loot. You are very unlikely to get your perfectly rolled unique, but you can at least go for the top affix in that slot.

At the minimum things like attack speed on whirlwind gloves just shouldn't be there. And while I get that the meta will shake out as players explore, I think Blizzard could have definitely done a better job than they did with the regular affixes on the uniques.

I'm not sure whether I like rerolling mods on uniques but I can't tell if that's me being grognardy and opposing change for its own sake or not. So now I kinda hope they do it so I can see how it feels!

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

wuffles posted:

Knowing which affixes a build will want to prio per slot (aside from the general top choices) is not going to be easy to guess for blizzard guess before they make the item
Actually, it would probably have been really easy to determine that everyone wants crit and vuln stats, because they intentionally designed them to be the only independent multiplicative stats. And it would be very easy to know that everyone wants resource stats, because generator/spender gameplay sucks. And so on.

e: I guess those are the general top choices, but like. Why not just use them?

bio347 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 13, 2023

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

bio347 posted:

Actually, it would probably have been really easy to determine that everyone wants crit and vuln stats, because they intentionally designed them to be the only independent multiplicative stats. And it would be very easy to know that everyone wants resource stats, because generator/spender gameplay sucks. And so on.

This lol, it's not hard.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I know we're joking about Blizzard devs and all but I think we should expect those who make a system to understand how it generally works. I could understand if they don't have the data you get from letting millions of people brute force test as well as theorycrafters run wild but anything else is suggesting they design by guessing, lol.

It'd be great if they got rid of total joke stats like shrine duration and +4 seconds of +10% damage on elite kill too. "But we need bad affixes so good affixes have more value." Nah, just make more good affixes??? poo poo, toss Overpower chance in there and stuff. Or make Resistances work?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG posted:

do you get paid to show your rear end like this or is it a kink

People should admit when they make mistakes imho

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Gwaihir posted:

This lol, it's not hard.

Tbf in terms of presentation it sure looks like it is.

euphronius posted:

People should admit when they make mistakes imho

No fuckin doubt.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

bio347 posted:

Because that's boring.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

bio347 posted:

probably because it would be idiotic to invalidate all other items in the game by making uniques BiS for every slot like your extremely high IQ posts are suggesting

The Ol Spicy Keychain fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 13, 2023

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Doomykins posted:

It'd be great if they got rid of total joke stats like shrine duration and +4 seconds of +10% damage on elite kill too. "But we need bad affixes so good affixes have more value." Nah

actually yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

what if there was a compromise where uniques were pretty good and compete with tightly rolled yellows

tbqh if the only consistent use of a Unique is to enable a new playstyle then take them off gear and make them super aspects or a glyph socketable or something. I'm not sure why "woah I got a super rare piece of armor oh the passives are bad this sucks" is a grognard take in the genre about "woah a super rare item sweet I'm stronger" dopamine highs.