Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lobok posted:

First ep of Superman was good, interesting that they're not going with the whole Hercules-in-the-crib version of his origin. They're doling out his powers and strength pretty late.

I guess I'm always going to be a week behind though? Adult Swim posted part 1 only on their YouTube even though both parts aired on TV that day. Apparently it is being offered in a streaming app in my country but the app never works so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ever since the original Crisis on Infinite Earths it's been pretty standard origin that Superman's powers didn't kick in until after puberty. No more Superboy shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Air Skwirl posted:

Ever since the original Crisis on Infinite Earths it's been pretty standard origin that Superman's powers didn't kick in until after puberty. No more Superboy shenanigans.

Not so much the actual Superboy persona, just powers from the get-go. The indelible image of baby Clark from the '78 film lifting up a truck, that kind of thing. I know of some of the origin stories since then but didn't know it was actually the standard. Interesting!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Air Skwirl posted:

That sums up pretty much every single DC direct to video animated movie except maybe Batman Ninja. If Killing Joke had actually tried to emulate Brian Bolland's art, or Long Halloween and Tim Sale they would have been so much better.

Yeah, at least if Long Halloween hadn't been so afraid to use actual black. They made the shadows a bit darker but it doesn't capture how much black there is in that comic.

I thought they were attempting Tim Sale's art style and just failed, but then I saw that Long Halloween is considered part of the "Tomorrowverse" series of DC Animated movies, which have a unified art style.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lobok posted:

Not so much the actual Superboy persona, just powers from the get-go. The indelible image of baby Clark from the '78 film lifting up a truck, that kind of thing. I know of some of the origin stories since then but didn't know it was actually the standard. Interesting!

'78 Superman is pre Crisis.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I know, it's just a memorable image and figured it had a more lasting impact.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And we have another villain confirmation for the series (this one isn’t even from Superman, which I guess means potentially the entire DC universe is fair game for this show):

https://twitter.com/lberzins_voices/status/1677034622905987073

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 13, 2023

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Watched the first episode they put up on Youtube. I liked it, not much that hasn't been said. Boimler is a great choice for Superman.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It's Jack Quaid isn't it? The dude who plays the main dude on the Boys.

Enjoying it so far, though I really hope the Suicide Squad/government/Amanda Waller thing is not the entire driving plot of the first season though, it sure seems like it is but I'm a bit done with that plotline now since it's been the go to for so many things and likely will be again many other times.

I was sorta hoping with the announcement that there's no Lex Luthor in season 1 that they'd do something like Spectacular Spider-Man where they spend the first few episodes talking about "the big man" who runs everything and provides origins for a lot of the costumed villains AND then turns out to be Tombstone and they do something pretty cool with him to boot.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 13, 2023

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's Doomsday, but in a suit.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

I was sorta hoping with the announcement that there's no Lex Luthor in season 1 that they'd do something like Spectacular Spider-Man where they spend the first few episodes talking about "the big man" who runs everything and provides origins for a lot of the costumed villains AND then turns out to be Tombstone and they do something pretty cool with him to boot.

Wait, where was this confirmed?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
That fills in most of the villains in the opening image.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

That fills in most of the villains in the opening image.

So we’ve got Brainiac, Livewire, Slade, Heat Wave, and Mr. Mxyzptlk confirmed so far. Who am I missing?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Rough House and Silver Banshee were confirmed by leaks.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Nodosaur posted:

It's Doomsday, but in a suit.

That would be very funny and great. Especially if he was also voiced by Keith David.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

thebardyspoon posted:

It's Jack Quaid isn't it? The dude who plays the main dude on the Boys.

Enjoying it so far, though I really hope the Suicide Squad/government/Amanda Waller thing is not the entire driving plot of the first season though, it sure seems like it is but I'm a bit done with that plotline now since it's been the go to for so many things and likely will be again many other times.

Unrelated to Superman but also the way Spectacular handled the mystery of the Green Goblin identity was so good. Both Harry and Norman have history of being the Goblin and it keeps you guessing as to whether they're going to do the obvious thing and start with Norman or skip him and go straight to Harry.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Lobok posted:

Unrelated to Superman but also the way Spectacular handled the mystery of the Green Goblin identity was so good. Both Harry and Norman have history of being the Goblin and it keeps you guessing as to whether they're going to do the obvious thing and start with Norman or skip him and go straight to Harry.

"Do you know how easy it is to fake a limp?" :smug:

I have been missing the era of superhero cartoons that didn't talk down to their intended audience (and were thus not infinitely more tedious and annoying for me, a grown-rear end man) and I'm hoping MAw/Supes is not going to be a huge letdown like certain other shows.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fuego Fish posted:

"Do you know how easy it is to fake a limp?" :smug:

I have been missing the era of superhero cartoons that didn't talk down to their intended audience (and were thus not infinitely more tedious and annoying for me, a grown-rear end man) and I'm hoping MAw/Supes is not going to be a huge letdown like certain other shows.

It seems promising so far based on the first two episodes at least

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

God, Norman's explanation of what he did was so chilling. Just. What he did to Harry's leg. His own kid...

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I rewatched Spectacular last year (and intend to do so again with my girlfriend before the new game comes out) and, man, on top of it holding up, it did everything I ever thought of if I were to make a Spider-man cartoon, and better.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
It's the best Gwen Stacy that isn't a Spider-Gwen.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nodosaur posted:

God, Norman's explanation of what he did was so chilling. Just. What he did to Harry's leg. His own kid...

Had he not been able to convince Spidey he totally would have let Harry take the fall for him.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Seems the Suicide Squad Isekai anime isn’t the only comic adaption Japan has in the works:

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1679763789825339393

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Polygon Pictures has made so many middling projects that their name alone was enough to kill my anticipation for this'un

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

what the gently caress is going on with that cartoon

it was announced two years ago
https://www.marvel.com/articles/tv-shows/spider-man-freshman-year-disney-plus

and showed some concept art last yeaer
https://collider.com/spider-man-freshman-year-images-sdcc-disney-plus/

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah I heard it's just supposed to be a cartoon not anime.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I dig that aesthetic if they can get it to move right. Not so much into the idea of including other superheroes, that feels like it'd confuse things.

Black Norman Osborne is An Idea, I guess. There's clearly some kind of complicated plan for Pete's school life, but I have some personal feelings wrapped up in Spiderman's original version of being an isolated antisocial nerd who ended up expressing himself by mouthing off at villains during fights.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Oh, that explains why my first thought was why they were reusing the logo from the last series. I thought it had already come out and I just hadn't heard anything about it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Larryb posted:

Seems the Suicide Squad Isekai anime isn’t the only comic adaption Japan has in the works:

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1679763789825339393

I wonder if these are getting greenlit because of the writer's strike? I'm pretty sure animation writers are WGA, no idea if translation writers are and voice actors are necessarily SAG so you could maybe do a dub of a Japanese cartoon when you couldn't do an American cartoon.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The show has probably already been written

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
From what I can tell Suicide Squad is being produced entirely in Japan first, but the Spider-Man show could just be PP handling the animation side.

Honestly if this is all stuff that has just been settled on in the last few months or so it's a bit hosed up that they announced the series as early as they did!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So if this Spider-Man show has been in development for at least two years now why are they suddenly announcing it again like it’s new?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
probably cuz 99% of possible viewers aren't as terminally online as us

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Polygon Pictures simply put a press release on their site about it
https://www.ppi.co.jp/news_release/ppipr20230714/

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

site posted:

probably cuz 99% of possible viewers aren't as terminally online as us

Also judging from people even in this thread, people had probably forgotten the show was ever an announced thing, so it can't hurt to try and build that hype back up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

The show has probably already been written

1) I actually doubt that, if it was already written the only reason they wouldn't have announced would be they weren't planning on making it, and also tv shows are constantly re-written during production or in the months leading up to it. Like even without the strike it's pretty clear they weren't going to make a season 2 until after The Marvels came out, and Disney has shown a huge willingness to tinker with movies based on reactions to previous movies.
2) Even if that were true, there's no one who can be in it.
3) Depending on how long these strikes last, I bet pretty much every single studio is going to completely revamp what their future release schedules are going to be, so they aren't going to announce anything until they know the exact date they can have writer's writing and actors in front of a screen.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Back to Superman, I just watched the third episode. I was sort of expecting Heat Wave to be next given the recent tweet but Intergang was good too.

I’m really hoping Clark reveals his identity to Lois and Jimmy sooner rather than later since he literally lives with the latter and the former already suspects he’s (or at least Superman’s) full of crap

In regards to Lois, I’ve gotta say that Alice Lee is really good for what’s apparently her first voice acting job

Also if the Wikipedia article is correct, we’ve got a few more confirmed characters for the series now: Lana Lang, Parasite, and Supergirl

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 15, 2023

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I've been skipping around the old DCAU shows, and man. I know Superman TAS doesn't getting as much love as BTAS for obvious reasons. But The Late Mr. Kent is such a good loving episode.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

I've been skipping around the old DCAU shows, and man. I know Superman TAS doesn't getting as much love as BTAS for obvious reasons. But The Late Mr. Kent is such a good loving episode.

The ending is so loving dark.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the city of Metropolis ends up being more of a character in S:TAS than Gotham was in B:TAS. The retro-futurism comes across as more subtle than Gotham's retro noir, and there's kind of a whole metaplot about the police being unable to deal with the proliferation of high-tech superweapons, first from Luthor, then from Darkseid. Clark Kent being a reporter puts him in a position to show the audience how the people in the rest of the city have more lives of their own when they're not being menaced. There are even entire episodes that center around superman doing good in ways other than just punching villains (which B:TAS did mention now and then that Bruce Wayne had charity, but it was seldom in focus).

S:TAS villains are also a lot more self-assured. They aren't angst-ridden tragic figures like most of the villains in B:TAS, they're usually just power-hungry jerks, so with their stories much simpler, that gives more plot time to other things.

Gaz-L posted:

The ending is so loving dark.

It was a weird thing to stick into a cartoon, but the episode is also all about trying to exonerate somebody else being threatened with the death penalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Worlds Finest 3 parter is also technically part of Superman's series instead of Batman, and its amazing. Best teamup ever. That scene where the two meet is fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJURV-vbQEU

The episodes of Superman I think are really worth watching are those animated by TMS (there's a list here https://dcau.fandom.com/wiki/TMS_Entertainment,_Ltd. ) They really did a great job on elevating tv animation. You can feel a real difference in the quality of the acting and action in these episodes. And the two parters Apokalips...Now and Legacy are both worth checking out just to see how Darkseid brings the series to a climax. Sadly those weren't animated by TMS so the animation is only serviceable.