Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

20,000 WGA + 160,000 SAG + 340,000 UPS workers* on strike == very cool

*tbd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

Sprinklers work just fine at fire suppression.

You're going to hear your neighbors if you share a wall, that's part of living in an apartment.

My apt. building has bricks between apartments. :cool: Haven't heard a side neighbor in five years.

There was a bad fire once in the apt. on the flip side of mine way before I moved here but the bldg. engineer said mine had no smoke damage.

When I lived in socal I could hear what tv channels my side neighbors were watching.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
This is the end of the line forTV as we know it. The studios are never coming to the table, we're going to get a decade of reality TV and then labor will have no power after that.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I've noticed that netflix has been buying up rights to a lot of foreign tv shows & that's probably gonna accelerate.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Twerk from Home posted:

This is the end of the line forTV as we know it. The studios are never coming to the table, we're going to get a decade of reality TV and then labor will have no power after that.

nah.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Father Wendigo posted:

Studios opening offer: we pay you dick all once to use your likeness in perpetuity for all eternity and you can gently caress off.

https://twitter.com/somebadideas/status/1679573326644097027?t=fE5mlXrfu4QJYXkOOcolFg&s=19

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
They will have to come back in some capacity. The era of bloated blockbuster, Disneys stranglehold and capeshit is starting to come to an end considering how many of their films have flopped or struggled this year. People want some sort of return of mid budget unique original film and television is starting to crawl back. The issue is you cannot treat art like some sort of silicion valley tech bro bullshit, the last 10-12 years of how the industry has been going needs to be erased.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

The net is a bubble guys were right in the end.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Raccooon posted:

I feel like CSPAM has been lol at AI replacing people anytime soon. But, I can see it being possible in like 20-30 years. I can't believe the studio is just openly saying it when they can't do it yet and making it obvious to everyone to ban it now and forever.

Cspam won't make me the himmler of the anti-ai task force either.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Mr Hootington posted:

Yes and it is a way for insufferable people to act like they are above the unwashed masses

let's not pretend cheeseburgers & marvel movies are the pinnacle of human culture

they're treats and slop; it's cheap, commodified food & entertainment for the lowest common denominator

still gonna eat and watch that garbage though

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Greatbacon posted:

let's not pretend cheeseburgers & marvel movies are the pinnacle of human culture

they're treats and slop; it's cheap, commodified food & entertainment for the lowest common denominator

Anything is treats or slop if it used to placate the masses.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

Cspam won't make me the himmler of the anti-ai task force either.

i think you'd make a great himmler

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Death By The Blues posted:

People want some sort of return of mid budget unique original film and television is starting to crawl back.

i'd like this to be true but i just don't know........ Barbie is about to run the box office and while it very well may be good it seems a likely harbinger of the next wave of IP slop, riding on the heels of Blackberry, Air, Flamin Hot, Tetris, Unfrosted: The Pop-Tart Story (coming later this year)..... hell you could even lump the Mario and D&D movies in there

i fear the dawn of the Brand/Product movie is upon us

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

hootler

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

People want some sort of return of mid budget unique original film and television is starting to crawl back. The issue is you cannot treat art like some sort of silicion valley tech bro bullshit, the last 10-12 years of how the industry has been going needs to be erased.

Hollywood has been commodifying art for way, way longer than the last decade. The big, mindless feature film model prints money. A few busts aren't going to get them to pivot to artsy, dialogue heavy original films, they're just going to shove new content into the old model.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Can't wait for the bipartisan Making Of United States Entertainment act that issues taxpayer funded movie ticket vouchers (paid upfront to Disney and others*) that lets you enjoy 3 movies of your choice per year**.

*The money paid to the studios will be treble the amount of an IMAX ticket per use
** Voucher not applicable to IMAX or any premium or opening weekend showings.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
The issue is less the content but more the budgets. Flash, Indiana Jones, Elemental, Ant Man, Shazam, DnD, arguably GOTG 3 either flopping or disappointing means that the model of creating 150-350 million dollars is not viable. Considering how well Asteroid City, No Hard Feelings or Blackening did with their respective budgets and returns, studios will probably gamble less on bloated IPs and focus more on then 5-50 million dollar films.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i'd like this to be true but i just don't know........ Barbie is about to run the box office and while it very well may be good it seems a likely harbinger of the next wave of IP slop, riding on the heels of Blackberry, Air, Flamin Hot, Tetris, Unfrosted: The Pop-Tart Story (coming later this year)..... hell you could even lump the Mario and D&D movies in there

Air didn't do to great considering their budget or Hot Cheetos. Barbie will not succeed because of the brand/product more so a director and or writer now is an aesthetic and if you have that like Greta Gerwig your films will do really well. Even Tetris if streamers reveal their numbers probably didn't do to well.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The issue is less the content but more the budgets. Flash, Indiana Jones, Elemental, Ant Man, Shazam, DnD, arguably GOTG 3 either flopping or disappointing means that the model of creating 150-350 million dollars is not viable. Considering how well Asteroid City, No Hard Feelings or Blackening did with their respective budgets and returns, studios will probably gamble less on bloated IPs and focus more on then 5-50 million dollar films.

Similar projects have printed money dozens of times. Terrible Shazam movies failing doesn't mean the model is dead, it just means those projects sucked. Even Transformers movies still print money.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

They will have to come back in some capacity. The era of bloated blockbuster, Disneys stranglehold and capeshit is starting to come to an end considering how many of their films have flopped or struggled this year. People want some sort of return of mid budget unique original film and television is starting to crawl back. The issue is you cannot treat art like some sort of silicion valley tech bro bullshit, the last 10-12 years of how the industry has been going needs to be erased.

Dear God please let this be true. :pray:

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
the D&D movie was pretty alright tbh

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

3 of these movies were considered successes

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!
Actors need to get back to work and keep making poo poo nostalgia IP and comic book movies

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
The transformer movie either flopped or did not hit expectations actually

https://screenrant.com/transformers-rise-beasts-box-office-franchise-future/

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Hopefully a bunch of famous actors stumping for unions will make them even more popular.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

3 of these movies were considered successes

https://hypebeast.com/2023/7/warner-bros-dc-comics-the-flash-loses-200-million-usd-worst-box-office-flip-superhero-film-history

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/box-office-report/elemental-the-flash-box-office-bombs-229848.html

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/jul/06/indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny-the-flash-bombed-box-office-harrison-ford

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/ant-man-3-box-office-flop-marvel-disney-1235564875/

https://www.comicbasics.com/ant-man-3-is-officially-the-lowest-grossing-mcu-sequel-ever-time-for-concern/

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a43399338/shazam-2-box-office-flop-explained/

https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/guardians-of-the-galaxy-3-box-office-superhero-fatigue-real/

https://thedirect.com/article/guardians-of-the-galaxy-3-mcu-box-office-drop

https://www.cbr.com/dungeons-and-dragons-honor-among-thieves-box-office-flop-release-timing/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/china-box-office-dungeons-dragons-65-flop-suzume-1235365768/

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The transformer movie either flopped or did not hit expectations actually

https://screenrant.com/transformers-rise-beasts-box-office-franchise-future/

They still made money on it and already have the next two movies lined up. There's only so much they can milk from a particular franchise before people finally grow tired of it. That means they'll eventually be plugging in or rebooting some other franchise.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

It's incredible how quickly it came on too. It feels like the trailer for Air came out like two weeks ago and I was like that's dumb, and then I blinked and it's everywhere now. Does seem like the comic book slop wagon was getting harder to fill so they had to pivot to something else.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

In Training posted:

the last time SAG and WGA we're on strike together ron Reagan was the pres of SGA and used the period to kick a bunch of people off the SAG exec committee by telling the FBI they were commies, and chartering busses to physically break through pickets so scabs could get to the lots, then assist the mafia in torturing the pres of the WGA and dumping his body in the Nevada desert (he survived and came back to the bargaining table pretty shook and acquiesced on most demands)

Lots to look forward to in the coming weeks

Wait what??

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Whoever breaks this actor strike will be president one day, just like Reagan. No way people will tolerate hollyweird on the picket line

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

netizen posted:

It's incredible how quickly it came on too. It feels like the trailer for Air came out like two weeks ago and I was like that's dumb, and then I blinked and it's everywhere now. Does seem like the comic book slop wagon was getting harder to fill so they had to pivot to something else.

there was the Social Network (which was great, prescient, and still holds up) and the steve jobs movie, and i'm sure many other examples before them, but there are about to be so so so many more

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

So Guardians of the Galaxy 3 made your list of spam links twice after grossing more than the original movie, over $800m on a $250m budget. I think you're just looking for things to confirm what you hope to be true.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

They still made money on it and already have the next two movies lined up. There's only so much they can milk from a particular franchise before people finally grow tired of it. That means they'll eventually be plugging in or rebooting some other franchise.

The printer is running out of ink. If it cost 200 million not to mention whatever press and industry cost for it and exhibition and it "only" pulled in 400 it disappointed. In particular more so if it doesn't have legs and crashes the week after debut.

https://www.seibertron.com/transfor...umblebee/47784/

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

People will be avoiding Disney because it's woke

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

So Guardians of the Galaxy 3 made your list of spam links twice after grossing more than the original movie, over $800m on a $250m budget. I think you're just looking for things to confirm what you hope to be true.

Where is the graph showing news headlines have become overall more pessimistic

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I can excuse decades of labor exploitation, but I draw the line at a black mermaid

E: isn't hollywood accounting notoriously opaque? Maybe they're profitable for the right people

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
I'm surprised this thread didn't talk about the tv show I'm A Virgo. It has a strong anti-capitalist/capitalisms relies on violence message. Its free on Amazon Prime.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

the success of mid-budget indie movies like Sound of Freedom shows the american moviegoer is looking to escape IP superhero hell

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Willa Rogers posted:

I've noticed that netflix has been buying up rights to a lot of foreign tv shows & that's probably gonna accelerate.

I feel like the foreign language shows rarely get engagement though. I doubt they can base the model around that. Squid Game being the biggest outlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Willa Rogers posted:

"buying" Not paying for it :D The guy who did Squid Games signed over the all his rights to the show to Netflix, just so that he gained exposure, in the hope that someone would pay him for his next project.