Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I'm surprised this thread didn't talk about the tv show I'm A Virgo. It has a strong anti-capitalist/capitalisms relies on violence message. Its free on Amazon Prime.

I saw the trailer but I only re-up for Prime like once or twice a year

Does this court ruling over the Ripple currency matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

Kia/Hyundai should be sued into the ground for being too cheap to put a loving engine immobilizer in their cars in the loving 2010s

On the other hand seeing The Club make a comeback is v nostalgic

Friend it is now the 2020s.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
lmao and this was announced today

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1679586371864784897

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Death By The Blues posted:

The issue is less the content but more the budgets. Flash, Indiana Jones, Elemental, Ant Man, Shazam, DnD, arguably GOTG 3 either flopping or disappointing means that the model of creating 150-350 million dollars is not viable. Considering how well Asteroid City, No Hard Feelings or Blackening did with their respective budgets and returns, studios will probably gamble less on bloated IPs and focus more on then 5-50 million dollar films.

If a movie makes $10 million in profit, they consider it a flop. Hollywood only wants $billion+ grossing movies.

Lokar
Mar 10, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

This is the end of the line forTV as we know it. The studios are never coming to the table, we're going to get a decade of reality TV and then labor will have no power after that.

people are going start watching more chinese / korean / thai dramas

seriously, every (usually middle aged) woman I know that actually watches scripted TV has wandered into east asian dramas during COVID, especially those on a fixed income - viki and youtube many are free to watch and there are so many, it's impossible to run out

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

smug jeebus posted:

I saw the trailer but I only re-up for Prime like once or twice a year

idk what ripple currency is

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the studio gets like 50-60% of the gross a movie makes

so grossing 600 mill on a 300 budget for example is breaking even (a loss )

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

Fozzy The Bear posted:

If a movie makes $10 million in profit, they consider it a flop. Hollywood only wants $billion+ grossing movies.

Yes and its no longer viable. Disney got greedy after 2019 where they had like 7 films make over a billion. It looks like not one of their films this year will cross one billion (assuming Marvels will flop)

https://variety.com/2020/film/box-office/disney-global-box-office-2019-1203453364/

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

of course I have no idea how the count the streaming rights

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

My daughters apartment complex is offering renewal deals on leases for only $200/month increase in rent! From $1650/month to $1850/month for a one bedroom!
Don’t worry, month to month is only $3,000!

They chose to move a bit further away from where they currently are and save $600/month.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Yes and its no longer viable. Disney got greedy after 2019 where they had like 7 films make over a billion. It looks like not one of their films this year will cross one billion (assuming Marvels will flop)

https://variety.com/2020/film/box-office/disney-global-box-office-2019-1203453364/

Ok

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Twerk from Home posted:

This is the end of the line forTV as we know it. The studios are never coming to the table, we're going to get a decade of reality TV and then labor will have no power after that.

The current US economy is built around foundational cornerstones of insanity like cryptocurrency, AirBNB, Hollywood, criminally murderous healthcare and exploitative useless education peddling.

I don't think it would ever be just Hollywood not working for more than a few months. There are entire cities that exist just to service the entertainment industry in really specific and immediate ways. Caterers that sell $$,$$$ per month now make nothing. Maybe Brad Pitt can post on twitter about the struggle for three entire human centuries in comfort but the 99% of people affected by this are huge for the economy at the state level in several places.

The only thing that makes us not have new Movies/TV for a prolonged period of time is if the economy deteriorates to the point where it isn't possible or isn't considered a priority.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Losing my mind with glee because the Hollywood pedophiles are finally getting what's coming.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
I currently work in film in Toronto and our entire industry is basically Americans coming up here to film. Gives me time to work on my projects and try to get my feature made. However, gonna be poor for a while lol. Last year in May we had like 40 productions start up this May because of the strike it was 4 and now its zero.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
US firefighters raise concerns over looming pay cut

quote:

With wildfire season under way in the United States, the federal government is facing a potential exodus of wildland firefighters over a major pay cut that could go into effect in a few months.

Funding in President Joe Biden’s 2021 infrastructure law gave a temporary pay boost to thousands of firefighters on the climate front lines – but the money is set to run out in the coming months, which could push many to quit, experts warned.

quote:

Rachel Granberg, a wildland firefighter based in Washington state with eight years of experience, has already seen multiple colleagues leave their jobs in the past year or so.

“Even with the infrastructure money, they were still fed up – and one of the guys had been fighting fires for 19 years,” said the 37-year-old, whose statements reflected her own opinions and not those of her agency.

Although wildland firefighters welcomed the temporary pay rise, many have been labouring for years for salaries that they say do not adequately reflect the rigors of their work.

Biden took steps in 2021 to raise the minimum wage for federal wildland firefighters to $15 per hour after criticising the $13 per hour rate some had been making as “ridiculously low”.

Going to need more prisoners to make up the shortfall in firefighters.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

OhFunny posted:

US firefighters raise concerns over looming pay cut

Going to need more prisoners to make up the shortfall in firefighters.

Good thing we have millions of people increasingly delinquent on debts

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

smug jeebus posted:

probably not, appeal is almost certainly guaranteed

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Paying people $15/hour to fight wildfires is unbelievably American

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

We'll all be able to celebrate Bidenomics in our Bidenvilles.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I currently work in film in Toronto and our entire industry is basically Americans coming up here to film. Gives me time to work on my projects and try to get my feature made. However, gonna be poor for a while lol

Do you ever watch Joel Haver's youtube videos, and his thoughts on the film industry?

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/MarketWatch/status/1679607499681411073?s=20

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Lokar posted:

people are going start watching more chinese / korean / thai dramas

seriously, every (usually middle aged) woman I know that actually watches scripted TV has wandered into east asian dramas during COVID, especially those on a fixed income - viki and youtube many are free to watch and there are so many, it's impossible to run out

These get popular in the oddest places. I hear women really like them in Iran and Saudi Arabia

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2016/04/665_198617.html

It's kinda cool to know the stuff my dad and grandparents would watch on the OTA korean/asian broadcaster is enjoyed worldwide.

My god do they chew the scenery though. I know when it's on because a Korean lady will just be losing her poo poo crying, every episode.

Big Bad Idiot
Jun 27, 2023

by vyelkin

Vox Nihili posted:

Sprinklers work just fine at fire suppression.

You're going to hear your neighbors if you share a wall, that's part of living in an apartment.

I never heard any neighbor living for years in concrete apartments in asia

you're a loving liar and I'm calling you out

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Would be nice if the model switches back to making a lot of low budget movies instead of $300 million superhero movies

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Vox Nihili posted:

Sprinklers work just fine at fire suppression.

You're going to hear your neighbors if you share a wall, that's part of living in an apartment.

Sprinklers aren't really intended for fire suppression, at least not, in the sense of saving the structure. They're really just meant to buy time for the people to evacuate.

Because everything can be rebuilt, now at only 4x the original cost!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

There have always been high priced blockbusters. It has always been a part of hollywood.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

I don’t know anyone who is keeping up with the Marvel shows, there’s been what 10 in the last two years?

Big Bad Idiot
Jun 27, 2023

by vyelkin
i got a film I'm writing I'm gunna pitch it when the strike is over I need about 5 mil wish me luck

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/07/13/disney-ceo-iger-opens-door-to-unloading-tv-assets.html

Oh boy can't wait for all the content to shuffle around streaming platforms again

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

FlapYoJacks posted:

Friend it is now the 2020s.

I drive a hyundai from 2012 lol

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

did paul rudd get butt implants?

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

So much team building

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

smug jeebus posted:

I can excuse decades of labor exploitation, but I draw the line at a black mermaid

E: isn't hollywood accounting notoriously opaque? Maybe they're profitable for the right people

I think men in black is somehow still losing money

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

Vox Nihili posted:

A few busts aren't going to get them to pivot to artsy, dialogue heavy original films, they're just going to shove new content into the old model.

i mean that's literally how the new hollywood movement started, with sword and sandal epics and big cinemascope musicals flopping left and right in the early 60s

the film industry's always had these boom and bust cycles about every 15 years or so as the current consistent moneymaker eventually loses steam

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/JohnDellaporta/status/1678871616472883200

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Vox Nihili posted:

Paying people $15/hour to fight wildfires is unbelievably American

I could easily believe it

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

striking is illegal now
*awooo*

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Blackberry, Air, Flamin Hot, Tetris, Unfrosted: The Pop-Tart Story (coming later this year)

I must live under more of a rock than I thought because I refuse to accept that any of these are real

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

They can make all the slop they want like Pop tarts or whatever, no star, no eyesballs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The hope from the management side is that a federal mediator would be seen as a neutral third party to help move the sides toward a compromise that would be more acceptable to the union’s rank-and-file members if it flowed through a mediator.

Sources close to the negotiations say the AMPTP representatives and member company leaders are frustrated at what they see as SAG-AFTRA’s intransigence. There’s a strong feeling that a militant minority in the union is having outsize influence on the negotiating strategy, with no regard to the heavy toll that a strike would take on actors as well as other unions and myriad businesses that bank on production-related work.

“We’re negotiating with ourselves and we’re not getting anywhere,” the source said. “How can a mediator hurt?”