Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

satanic splash-back posted:

That's strange because every one of my character's skills have exact damage numbers and percentage of base damage visible on them (turn on advanced tooltips)

those numbers are sorta fake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

Umm no. Software development doesn't really work like that. Especially when it comes to games. If you want to compare games that have years of "live" development vs. something that just launch, that's fine but people will call you out on it because it is , in fact, not a fair comparison.
Why not? If you are making a sequel, and that sequel has a similar feature as the original, why is it okay to make the same mistakes? Density and deadspace in rifts was something that D3 worked through and got to a mostly pretty decent place, and yet dungeons in D4 have literally the same problems. At a glance, one would think that those learnings should have had some impact on D4 and yet...

Stanley Pain posted:

That being said, D4 is way better than D3 ever was at any point.
lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The developer teams are completely different

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

satanic splash-back posted:

That's strange because every one of my character's skills have exact damage numbers and percentage of base damage visible on them (turn on advanced tooltips)

But that's not the damage they do lol

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Quote-Unquote posted:

The Raiment of the Infinite unique chest absolutely slaps for lightning sorcerer when paired with boots that give you 3 extra dodges and the teleport enchantment that turns dodge into teleport. I do like 300% damage to stunned enemies and raiment sucks enemies in and stuns on teleport - and this includes dodge teleport.

My crit damage with lightning is 180% and I have 85% crit chance while my mana is above 100, which is usually is because crackling energy gives me mana and I'm usually surrounded by it.

Less effective against bosses since you can't stun them, but when they get staggered they just melt.

Raiment is incredible but not for lightning sorc, it's the primo unique for Blizzard sorc because of how the ice spikes on Blizzard can crit and how enemies pulled onto one stack will explode consecutively for ridiculous amounts of damage with the Shatter key passive.

Also the Raiment is great for staggering bosses because the teleports have a stun so they add to stagger meter, usually you can sometimes even outright stun bosses in one volley with 5 quick teleports, frost nova, then using the aspect that makes Fire Shield immobilize and of course once they're staggered they just vanish.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

flashman posted:

They're almost useful for comparing between single hits of a skill or different levels of the same skill

Posted they have exact damage numbers, not that they're right or that they include all the modifiers or are even trustworthy

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Definitely would be nice if we could have some training dummies to test on, eh?

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Aexo posted:

Definitely would be nice if we could have some training dummies to test on, eh?

Just believe in yourself, the numbers and have faith.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Season 1 could just be "the guy standing in front of the anvil at Ked Baru is now the Blacksmith" and I'd pay :10bux: for it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

LifeLynx posted:

Season 1 could just be "the guy standing in front of the anvil at Ked Baru is now the Blacksmith" and I'd pay :10bux: for it.

i hate that guy so much

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

LifeLynx posted:

what's that town with the troll rear end cul de sac right when you port in?

feels like the dev team was having a giggle when designing some of these towns lol

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

flashman posted:

Yeah it is.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Do we know how the suppressor elite affix is broken and if there's any plan on fixing it? Sorry if this has already been asked but I can't find much about it. It's killed several runs having an opponent immune to everything but base damage.

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 13, 2023

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Remember the original Crowd Control mitigation: Fastest Hit Recovery

Loved playing warrior.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

I, too, miss sets that give +40000% damage to skills, rainbows and lively colors, and 2009 era graphics

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Kawabata posted:

I, too, miss sets that give +40000% damage to skills, rainbows and lively colors, and 2009 era graphics

youre taking the piss but if they made a whimsydale themed season pass i would probably buy it

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Kawabata posted:

+40000% damage to skills is what you're doing via stacking the regular damage calendar+crit+vulnerable currently. It's just layers of obfuscation to what's ultimately several builds with minor deviations.

And as a cherry on top D4 is has zero new characters.

Also hating on D3 for rainbows got old before it was even released. Real cool cats were hating on the writing which...

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

youre taking the piss but if they made a whimsydale themed season pass i would probably buy it

They will. And the tears will be delicious.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Items Sets are big "early 2000s era" game design. Snooze!

That said, this legendary affix system doesn't have the same razzle dazzle. It's total rear end to try and find a Good Drop, hope for immediate good luck with the Enchanter, find a high-roll legendary to harvest for the affix, and run the necessary helltides for the macguffins needed to apply affix

all so I can replace by +27% Crit Damage Ring of +13% Conceited with a +29% Crit Damage Ring of +14% Conceited

Loot situation needs some love

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Item sets are fine. D4 has a perfect setup for finnicky crazy OP LOD style builds and letting filthy casuals do crazy poo poo with premade sets in exchange for grind is what modern Diablo should be about.

Right now it's midway to neither.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Kawabata posted:

You ever notice how the main complaints about D3 are still "sets are bad, there was colour, don't like the graphics"?

It's never something like "rifts are bad, dungeons are way better" or "I love the open world and mount" or "wandering around cities trying to find amenities is so immersive" or "the tree of whispers is just obviously superior to bounties". Maybe you think those! They're definitely stronger arguments than "Diablo 3 had a rainbow in it"!

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

My personal favorite is how the more mature Diablo 4 now resembles an amusement park in both the scale of the map and the now-required GPS tracker.

e: It feels more like WoW than D3 did

Vic fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 14, 2023

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

bio347 posted:

You ever notice how the main complaints about D3 are still "sets are bad, there was colour, don't like the graphics"?

no i havent noticed that

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i don’t like timed completion as an exclusive metric for measuring competitiveness of builds. if someone wants to build a slow tanky character to complete a high level rift rather than one built for high speed, i think that should provide some amount of progression

think like poison builds for clearing ubers in d2 vs smiteadin

having timing available as a metric to measure and compete against is fine, but having it as a primary driving force is not my favorite design

sets are fine for matching some pieces from. i didn’t play d3 when there were builds that didn’t need/want the full set. especially for stopgap gear i liked getting 2 or 3 of one set and 2 or 3 or another to have as alternative/cheap options to fill a needed niche like guaranteed LL for a melee or easy access to AR in D2

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'm very thankful that I didn't play enough D2 or D3 to understand most of the complaints about D4

As an individual game it's very good, but sounds like it has some big feet to fill

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm very thankful that I didn't play enough D2 or D3 to understand most of the complaints about D4

As an individual game it's very good, but sounds like it has some big feet to fill

Late game D3. You know those Blast Wave Shrines in D4? That's a Witch Doctor set in D3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr945XraZck

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

False.. I can swap out an item for example with plus damage and nothing changes

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Vic posted:

Late game D3. You know those Blast Wave Shrines in D4? That's a Witch Doctor set in D3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr945XraZck

holy poo poo d3 looks bad now. i dont remember it looking so dated

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

Verviticus posted:

diablo 4 is not very good

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Verviticus posted:

By dated do you mean a decade old?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Vic posted:

By dated do you mean a decade old?

does the thing i said change in meaning somehow if you substitute your words for mine

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

d2 was an excellent, genre defining game, but d3 was pretty awful. I don't know why some people here hold it in such reverence. it didn't do seasons until after they were done grifting off the real life auction house, the endgame content was even more sparse than d4's for the first 5 or so years, the graphics was like I was traversing a daycare, and the damage scaling was just wack. when I think of d3, I think of super smash brother brawl.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Yeah I thought people were pretty sour on D3

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
You could make big numbers go even bigger very easily so some got a lot of enjoyment out of D3

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Collapsing Farts posted:

I find myself wishing that Blizzard had used the negative reaction to the overall look of D3 to go in a different direction with D4.

What if they had created a stylized, pixel art look for D4 that paid homage to D1 and D2 but using modern resolutions? I'm thinking about something like Valheim's low-fi graphics that are both low-fi and atmospheric in all the right ways but with Blizzard's spit and polish. Also then maybe I would be able to zoom out farther.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Verviticus posted:

does the thing i said change in meaning somehow if you substitute your words for mine

Are you mad at me? I just found it funny you'd say an old game looks old. Don't be mad at me.

Tonetta posted:

d2 was an excellent, genre defining game, but d3 was pretty awful. I don't know why some people here hold it in such reverence. it didn't do seasons until after they were done grifting off the real life auction house, the endgame content was even more sparse than d4's for the first 5 or so years, the graphics was like I was traversing a daycare, and the damage scaling was just wack. when I think of d3, I think of super smash brother brawl.

That's kinda the point. They transformed it from a godawful money grubbing dull grindy poo poo game into an arpg dream (although built on the mess that was already there). That's why the lessons learned on that shitshow being ignored feel weird now.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Vic posted:

Are you mad at me? I just found it funny you'd say an old game looks old. Don't be mad at me.

huh

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

You doing ok?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
"How could anyone have liked Diablo 3!??!?!?!"

I'm amazed how many times people are going to roll in with the scalding hot take of "Actually D3 was bad at Vanilla launch" when everyone who praises D3 is specifically talking about after RoS. Do you think Diablo 2 discussion centers around pre-LoD or... ? When people talk about PoE they mean the beta?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Collapsing Farts posted:

Anyone that only played d3 at launch played a legitimately terrible game. Anyone that came back for the expansion two years later got a very good one that confused to get excellent improvements until this year.

The version that exists in most people's heads itt is the first one because I guess we all stopped forming new memories a decade ago. (I wish that were true, saying it out loud...)