Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It was a fun race. But future races if they happen will probably be lovely like everyone expected. Lots of stuff lined up to make it a fun race. From the wet track to the tire barriers that eat cars, it's a perfect mix for a fun race.

Also cool that a 1st timer won the race. Nascar should say gently caress the rules and give him a spot in the playoffs.

I don't think SVG could even take a spot in the playoffs up this year, his day job is still running at that time and in the thick of their own run-in (including Bathurst).

also I think the tire walls would've been there and made for some fun chaos regardless, it's just with the rain it meant everyone had to work a lot harder on the loud pedal to keep from breaking traction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Dat Reddick save :aaa: , and Bell moving up wow

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bubba and MTJ must have asked Ferrari for advice today.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Rain delay exactly as I get dinner haha perfect! Great racing, as entertaining as the truck race was.

edit: whelp :owned:

Virgil Vox fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 10, 2023

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Welp.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I mean, I can't really fault NASCAR for making the decision to call it. That storm system is going to be hovering over Atlanta well into tomorrow morning.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Timby posted:

I mean, I can't really fault NASCAR for making the decision to call it. That storm system is going to be hovering over Atlanta well into tomorrow morning.

Yeah, that wasn't a shock. The problem was loving stupid strategy calls on the 23 (and 19) leading to loving Byron winning.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That's the best Atlanta race I've seen in awhile, last really good one I saw there was an IROC race lol.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

last years Atlanta was pretty exciting too [at least stage 1-2 I didn't catch the final]

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Atlanta turned out better than I thought but I still miss the tire chewing and end of runs being 3-4 seconds slower than the start.

Glad Cup has figured out how to do this track without it chewing up tons of cars.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Keeping the cars together all on the lead lap is key, once the cars spread out and you don't know who's on the lead lap or not it gets too boring, and that's how most Atlanta races were.

Now it's like a mini Daytona with less wrecks, NASCAR hit it out of the park with this package, I might even drive the 8 hours to see a race if they keep it up.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Keeping the cars together all on the lead lap is key, once the cars spread out and you don't know who's on the lead lap or not it gets too boring, and that's how most Atlanta races were.

Now it's like a mini Daytona with less wrecks, NASCAR hit it out of the park with this package, I might even drive the 8 hours to see a race if they keep it up.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Give that date to Atlanta. It's a chaos race, and imagine the :circlefap: if Chase wins a regular season championship at home.

RING DA SIREEEEEEN

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Having all three lanes being viable and a clearly defined out of bounds helps a lot. The lappers can dive down out of the way and not have to worry about holding someone up since everyone is on the lead lap for the most part.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I am going to my first NASCAR event on Sunday (Crayon 301). I'm a new fan and have been watching videos on learning the sport and how to watch it and the strategies. I was just wondering if anyone had advice for my first live event, any tips, tricks, things I should expect, things to watch out for, things to do, etc. Any advice welcome!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
double hearing protection

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Bring and program your scanner or... Rent one.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

tater_salad posted:

Bring and program your scanner or... Rent one.

I bought a scanner for it (this one: https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-BC125...aps%2C94&sr=8-3 )

how do I program it to be able to tune in?

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Look Ma! I caught a Fwaggle!

Kvlt! posted:

I bought a scanner for it (this one: https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-BC125...aps%2C94&sr=8-3 )

how do I program it to be able to tune in?

If you have windows there is software from Uniden that you can download that will allow you to fairly painlessly program your scanner.

http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/BC125AT
(That website looks sketch as gently caress, but the "PC Programming Software" BC125AT_SS is what I have used to set up my BC125AT scanner.)

I matched the channel number on the scanner with the car number so you can just type a channel number in and find that driver. I put secondary channels starting at 100. So, for example, the primary Daniel Suarez channel would be 99 and secondary channel for Suarez would be 199.

These links should tell you the relevant frequencies to program:

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/NASCAR

https://www.speedwaydigest.com/index.php/scanner-frequencies/nascar-cup-series-frequencies

Howard The Dork fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 14, 2023

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Howard The Dork posted:

If you have windows there is software from Uniden that you can download that will allow you to fairly painlessly program your scanner.

(That website looks sketch as gently caress, but the "PC Programming Software" is what I have used to set up my BC125AT scanner.)

https://www.speedwaydigest.com/index.php/scanner-frequencies/nascar-cup-series-frequencies

There's actually a GitHub that has the bearcat files it saved me like an hour of manually typing it into the program.

https://github.com/jim-edwards/NascarScanner/tree/main/Uniden%20BC125AT

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

tater_salad posted:

There's actually a GitHub that has the bearcat files it saved me like an hour of manually typing it into the program.

https://github.com/jim-edwards/NascarScanner/tree/main/Uniden%20BC125AT

Oh my god. That would have saved me so much time.

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Oh also SRX on ESPN at 9ET tonight.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Howard The Dork posted:

(That website looks sketch as gently caress, but the "PC Programming Software" BC125AT_SS is what I have used to set up my BC125AT scanner.)

I matched the channel number on the scanner with the car number so you can just type a channel number in and find that driver. I put secondary channels starting at 100. So, for example, the primary Daniel Suarez channel would be 99 and secondary channel for Suarez would be 199.

Thank you so much!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Howard The Dork posted:

Oh my god. That would have saved me so much time.

Yeah I was like 30% through programming and then somehow I stumbled on it and was like omg.... Huge time saver. I tried to buy him a beer but there's not an option to donate.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

maffew buildings posted:

double hearing protection

...but also get as close as you can to the track for the start or a restart and just molest those virgin ears. Just one time.

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

mischief posted:

...but also get as close as you can to the track for the start or a restart and just molest those virgin ears. Just one time.

100% You gotta raw-dog those decibels for a start at least once.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

dear god do not do this

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

WHAT?

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Kvlt! posted:

Thank you so much!

If you have a scanner that lets you freely program car numbers and are attending multiple races, consider coming up with a system to keep similar car numbers across multiple series organized.

I typically use the car number and its one or two digit form for Cup, then a number to differentiate the other series (i.e., if you have multiple races with the #24, I do 24 for Cup, 247 Truck (7 looks like a T on my display, 248 Xfinity (8 looks like B, used to be the Busch Series), 249 was what I used for the Rolex Series (9/R).

I also use the same number repeated three times (i.e. 999, 000) for race control and the radio and TV broadcasts so I can push it to quickly access their feeds.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

maffew buildings posted:

dear god do not do this

This person is incorrect. 100% get the full effect without hearing protection for a lap or two - you won't regret it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

^^ yeah for a lap or two it's cool and loud but after awhile you end up with your ears in pain. we did an Xfininity & Nascar weekend.. my FIL whose response is "I'll just take out my hearing aids because I'm very deaf without them" Decided it was a good idea to go to walmart and get earmuffs for the next day.

CBJSprague24 posted:

If you have a scanner that lets you freely program car numbers and are attending multiple races, consider coming up with a system to keep similar car numbers across multiple series organized.

I typically use the car number and its one or two digit form for Cup, then a number to differentiate the other series (i.e., if you have multiple races with the #24, I do 24 for Cup, 247 Truck (7 looks like a T on my display, 248 Xfinity (8 looks like B, used to be the Busch Series), 249 was what I used for the Rolex Series (9/R).

I also use the same number repeated three times (i.e. 999, 000) for race control and the radio and TV broadcasts so I can push it to quickly access their feeds.

That scanner has the ability to put names on the channels.. and the Github I linked is nice enough to have the driver names etc on it.

I moved to that scanner after using a lesser scanner at an IMSA race (and having to punch in all the numbers manually) and promptly returning it to walmart because it sucked to not have car numbers/names displayed.. and the PC programming wasn't working and Uniden would not support it because it was an older model that I just purchased from the store that they were still selling.
(the real answer was that the get it into PC mode was not intuitive, and all they had to tell me was, no you have to turn it on AFTER you plug it into the PC and it would have worked), if you plug it into the PC turned on all it does is charge.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jul 14, 2023

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

SRX was pretty rad, but once again the weather this year brought an early end to what was shaping up to be a really fun race.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

tater_salad posted:

^^ yeah for a lap or two it's cool and loud but after awhile you end up with your ears in pain. we did an Xfininity & Nascar weekend.. my FIL whose response is "I'll just take out my hearing aids because I'm very deaf without them" Decided it was a good idea to go to walmart and get earmuffs for the next day.

When I went to Talladega last year even the ancient redneck dude sitting next to me had massive earmuffs. At idle the engine noise is just about tolerable but at full throttle gently caress that.

Also tinnitus sucks don't play with your hearing.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

seriously, do not gently caress around without hearing protection. one time exposure can cause hearing damage and not everyone is physiologically the same. a couple laps might just be a fun experience for some people and it might be permanent damage for others. tinnitus and hearing loss sucks really loving bad.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i generally put plugs in halfway through a cup race (if at all), but the previous post is probably good advice.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I'm 47, have two hearing aids and have had tinnitus for 30 years.

Put your drat muffs on.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

maffew buildings posted:

... one time exposure can cause hearing damage and not everyone is physiologically the same...

This is valid point.

I've been attending races of all types for 30+ years - since I was a kid - and I never wore hearing protection until ~ten years ago. The same goes for concerts - mostly heavy metal - and I'm one of the lucky ones. I don't have tinnitus and my hearing is still above normal, so I guess I've been blessed.

Regardless of my luck, as I've gotten older, I would recommend hearing protection for anyone at a race or concert. You don't want to gently caress with your hearing.

But, man, that first full green lap is unlike anything you'd think it'd be. Obviously, the choice is yours.

Do it! :D

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

what level of dB protection yall recommend? 25dB ok?

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I use 3M FM radio headsets that are about 25dB. But I also have tinnitus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Kvlt! posted:

what level of dB protection yall recommend? 25dB ok?

I used the basic NRR 32 earplugs that your roll up before putting them in your ear. They worked very well for me when I used them (without headphones) while sitting in the front row out of turn four at Dover.

And FYI: You should be able to buy hearing protection at the track.

Nit Wit Dog Shit fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 16, 2023