Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Someone had to tell Vivian what went on at that beach. Mid out there on the Enterprise with a telescope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

So is it acknowledged anywhere that Mid looks exactly like Benedikta, or do they just leave it floating?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

So is it acknowledged anywhere that Mid looks exactly like Benedikta, or do they just leave it floating?

oh my god we can't do this again

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

oh my god we can't do this again

Sorry I just came into the thread yesterday :argh:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Sorry I just came into the thread yesterday :argh:

I'm specifically referencing a thing a few pages ago where people apparently thought Benedikta and Annabella were the same person

they don't look anything alike

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
All blondes are the same person. Sorry, I don’t make the rules

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

I'm specifically referencing a thing a few pages ago where people apparently thought Benedikta and Annabella were the same person

they don't look anything alike

Agreed. Ummm, not sure what that has to do with it tho. I'm mostly just talking about Mid and Benedikta's similar face and hair, the fact that Mid's mother is a mystery I guess, and that Cid and Benedikta were close at some point in the past. The implication by the game is strong, I'm just wondering if there's anything concrete either way in the lore.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
FFXVI is just anime Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Agreed. Ummm, not sure what that has to do with it tho. I'm mostly just talking about Mid and Benedikta's similar face and hair, the fact that Mid's mother is a mystery I guess, and that Cid and Benedikta were close at some point in the past. The implication by the game is strong, I'm just wondering if there's anything concrete either way in the lore.

I also don't think they look similar.

Also Mid is explicitly adopted.

I guess it's not impossible she's their kid, but if so there's not really anything in the game to support it.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 14, 2023

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

They look nothing alike. I'm sorry that you had to find out this way but you are yet another victim of Goon Face Blindness.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Mid was a war orphan that Cid’s group found and raised. And yeah, I can’t see the similarity.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Captain Oblivious posted:

They look nothing alike. I'm sorry that you had to find out this way but you are yet another victim of Goon Face Blindness.

Cool!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Half of the realm are Cid's exes.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bugblatter posted:

Mid was a war orphan that Cid’s group found and raised. And yeah, I can’t see the similarity.

Thanks, I guess there's a lore entry about it, though I never saw it in all 95 hours. Whoops.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think Cid and Benedikta were an item.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

SettingSun posted:

Someone had to tell Vivian what went on at that beach. Mid out there on the Enterprise with a telescope.

Nah, Vivian is one of those fanfiction writers who writes erotica about her acquaintances. She's working on an epic Goetz/Gav magnum opus slashfic.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't think Cid and Benedikta were an item.

It's not impossible, but there isn't really anything to hint at it either. Cid rescued her and tried to take care of her, as he did with Mid, Clive, and everyone else. Their ages are close enough that they *could* have also had a relationship, but it's purely fan fic territory.

I prefer to think that Cid's no-doubt legendary romantic conquests were separate from his wholesome rescues. He's too good for the old damsel in distress shacking up with the shining night cliche.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Tomes says:

[While her dalliances with Hugo Kupka would appear to be naught but a ruse guided by the hand of King Barnabas, her love for her former Lord Commander Cid was deep and true – and left an equally abyssal hole in her heart when he fled Waloed.]

But yeah, a lot goes unsaid.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think she loved him and he cared about her but y'know not a romance on his part.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Cid slept with everyone

I thought Mid might've been Benedikta's kid at first, but the lack of follow-up on that made me drop that line of thinking, since it seemed like something that wouldn't go unsaid in a game with so much invested in parents.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Cid was one of the best characters in this game, and the quality of your party's banter drops off a cliff once he's gone. "Clive my boy, even life's smallest challenges offer the opportunity to grow and to change!"

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
really? I had like, mid, heh, feelings for cid, I was actually chuckling a bit during his death scene cuz it was playing that kind of annoying cid theme that gets remixed like 4 more times. the only cid related adjacent scene that got me was when Clive destroys the second crystal and he says "are you watching cid?"

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The game needed more Cid. He owns every scene he's in.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Cid was great and has the best vocal performance in the game. He's a big part of why I liked the first third of the game the most.

It was kinda weird how we learn he was a master inventor so far into the game though. Like he's been dead for five years in-game and several hours irl before they ever mention it. I thought I might have missed something, but when I replayed in FF mode there really isn't a mention until Mid is like "Oh yeah, I'm finishing the steamship my dad designed."

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I though his death gave the game some stakes, and the separation anxiety was so heavily foreshadowed in the run up to the crystal that I wasn't super surprised about it, which I think is thematically consistent with his character's nonchalance about death; what really choked me up was the first time the game contextualized his absence across a long span of time and showed The Oath on the Wall of Memories with that bittersweet music playing.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
We're on the 16th final fantasy and squeenix is still finding ways to make us surprised to learn that Cid made a cool ship

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Cephas posted:

We're on the 16th final fantasy and squeenix is still finding ways to make us surprised to learn that Cid made a cool ship

Oh lol. Well in my defense, this is only the second FF game I managed to finish (and the other is FF7R which isn’t even a full story) so a lot of these known beats are new to me.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I beat the game this afternoon and just read like the first couple pages of this thread. The people wondering if Clive lived or died outed themselves as never have watched/finished Cowboy Bebop.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The conclusion to the Mid airship storyline sucked rear end.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

I beat the game this afternoon and just read like the first couple pages of this thread. The people wondering if Clive lived or died outed themselves as never have watched/finished Cowboy Bebop.

um, bah gawd? I don't even remember what happened at the end of CB and I was a huge mega fan like 20 years ago so vov

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

still blown away at that end boss music

999999 out of 10 imo

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

runaway dog posted:

um, bah gawd? I don't even remember what happened at the end of CB and I was a huge mega fan like 20 years ago so vov

Bang.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I recall that ending perfectly even though I haven’t watched since high school, but it’s distant enough that it didn’t pop to mind until it was mentioned just now.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I guess I do too I just wanted to be snarky, apologies.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

runaway dog posted:

https://youtu.be/uisGgY5MqrE

https://youtu.be/D3zk7fweRrU

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
just watch it for a second
I gotta say that unlike most FF games I didn't ever really feel like Clive's death was on the table so it caught be my surprise. I was also surprised by how brief it was, given how long and fulfilling many of the x.0 and x.3 endings in FF14 have been.

I had this hope the entire time I was playing that Square Enix could build on top of what they've got here, rather than blowing it all up and starting from scratch spending 7-10 years on the next one like they have in the past. The way I was really hoping things would wrap up and unfold was something like:

- You beat the game
- The sky clears up and there's a nice ending
- Your final save lets you do all the sidequests and stuff you missed in the world with its sky restored
- A few months from now, v1.1 comes out and introduces some new hunts and craftable items
- This goes on for another version or two until a more substantial paid DLC is announced and released
- Post DLC there are a few more version updates that add hunts and craftables

So basically like a Monster Hunter game.

In parallel I was hoping the team would start looking into using an improved version of the same engine for FF17, looking into things like switchable party members and so on.

I'm not sure how the first scenario fits into the game given the ending we got, and I'm worried that the lower review averages (and maybe sales, although at least the PS5 exclusivity can be attributed to that) and general post-game reception might make SE overcorrect more than they need to.

Basically I thought it was a really solid first swing at a mainline FF by this time and I really, really hope they get another chance.

sevenflow fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jul 14, 2023

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The review averages and sales are literally the same as FF7R

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
just watch it for a second

Blockhouse posted:

The review averages and sales are literally the same as FF7R

Ah I thought I read somewhere that it was about half of 7R. I guess it ultimately comes down what they both cost and SE's faith in CBU3. Just hoping we get to see a 7->8->9 style engine trilogy here that could be pretty good instead of waiting for the PS6 for the next game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

sevenflow posted:

I gotta say that unlike most FF games I didn't ever really feel like Clive's death was on the table so it caught be my surprise. I was also surprised by how brief it was, given how long and fulfilling many of the x.0 and x.3 endings in FF14 have been.

I had this hope the entire time I was playing that Square Enix could build on top of what they've got here, rather than blowing it all up and starting from scratch spending 7-10 years on the next one like they have in the past. The way I was really hoping things would wrap up and unfold was something like:

- You beat the game
- Your final save lets you do all the sidequests and stuff you missed in the world with its sky restored
- A few months from now, v1.1 comes out and introduces some new hunts and craftable items
- This goes on for another version or two until a more substantial paid DLC is announced and released

In parallel I was hoping the team would start looking into using an improved version of the same engine for FF17, looking into things like switchable party members and so on.

I'm not sure how the first scenario fits into the game given the ending we got, and I'm worried that the lower review averages (and maybe sales, although at least the PS5 exclusivity can be attributed to that) and general post-game reception might make SE overcorrect more than they need to.

Basically I thought it was a really solid first swing at a mainline FF by this time and I really, really hope they get another chance.

That type of ending and progression would be completely out of step with the themes they very purposely spent the entire game trying to get across to the player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

sevenflow posted:

- You beat the game

This is exactly the entire premise of what FF14 is as a game? Like, they really don't need or have or should allocate resources to two AAA live service games at once?

Surely dev time for FFXVII will be a lot quicker without dedicating resources to FFXVI. I don't understand this post at all