Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Weedle posted:

it's not that far, i've been there before to sort out a shipment for work. how did you get them to let you pick it up there? i keep telling the support people i'm more than willing to do that but so far it hasn't been an option

Have you just tried online? Clicking "track" on my steam deck gets me a page with "MANAGE DELIVERY" which has "hold at location" or "schedule delivery" or "deliver to another address" as options. Mine's supposed to come Saturday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

bus hustler posted:

Have you just tried online? Clicking "track" on my steam deck gets me a page with "MANAGE DELIVERY" which has "hold at location" or "schedule delivery" or "deliver to another address" as options. Mine's supposed to come Saturday.

yeah when i try to do that on the site it doesn't show me any pickup locations. on the app it does show them to me but if i try to set one for this delivery it gives a generic error. no one on the phone at fedex can figure it out either. it really would be so much easier for everyone if i could do that but apparently nobody can

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Macichne Leainig posted:

Weird way to write Explorer.exe friend

Finder is garbage, but in different ways than how explorer is garbage

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Weedle posted:

yeah when i try to do that on the site it doesn't show me any pickup locations. on the app it does show them to me but if i try to set one for this delivery it gives a generic error. no one on the phone at fedex can figure it out either. it really would be so much easier for everyone if i could do that but apparently nobody can

called them again and found out that apparently the shipper can disallow this. thank u valve

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

RBA Starblade posted:

I loving hate MacOS
It's not bad. From a technical perspective. They've got SIP, a file system that was written primarily for SSDs (like F2FS), A non-completely-shite default browser that is the last one that isn't trying to sell you something or hoover up your data.

Recent versions, actually, ever since 10.5 I've been kind of lamenting the decline of the Unix userspace tools. BSD has some great tools, but dropping bash and some of the other GNU tools really makes it hard to use day-to-day. The GUI space is also a mixed bag. Some things are nice, like the continued inclusion of AppleScript and the evolution of Automator into Shortcuts. Window management is ... functional. The really weird poo poo is that the UI is easier to use with their trackpads than with anything else.

Windows just feels like it's becoming the NASCAR of OSes. Anyone with a buck can plaster their trash all over the place and it gets pushed with updates. 11's new Window management is much better, but the rest of the UI is a loving mess. The file explorer is a loving joke, it used to be the standard tool by which all other tools were measured. Yuck. Thankfully, Windows does have Directory Opus, the best file manager bar-none.

Linux is the wild west. It's as cohesive or as disjointed as you make it. And believe me, you'll have a shitload of configuring for oddball poo poo. Want to turn off the wifi when plugged into the Ethernet? Depending on your system, you may have to write a script to do that. Want to autostart a program? There's like 30 different ways to get things to run at startup. Singular consistency is a myth, but with all the options you have, you can mold it into almost anything.

Still, Windows on SteamDeck feels like a massive waste of time, resources and sanity.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Linux is not a desktop operating system, it is a desktop operating system toolkit and you can build very nice things from the pieces if you’re so inclined.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Running the tools to manage thousands of either, I can tell you that supporting MacOS is a nightmare but at least Apple has always been an absent parent who never even pretended they're helpful versus one that constantly lets you down by showing up with cool stuff trying to be a buddy and just almost instantly loving it up and making everything worse, and just arbitrarily changing things around on you year after year.

Short of security audits we leave the Linux weirdos alone though. Go nuts, enjoy your OS K'nex.

EDIT: Hey wait! This sucks! I was staying out of it but got high and put my guard down

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 14, 2023

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Subjunctive posted:

Linux is not a desktop operating system, it is a desktop operating system toolkit and you can build very nice things from the pieces if you’re so inclined.

Whatever the SteamOS pieces are, they work pretty well.

By pretty well I mean the control panel is better but sometimes the right mouse button menu stops working. Eh you win some you lose some.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I am playing Need for Speed Heat way more than I expected on the Deck.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Squiggle posted:

Running the tools to manage thousands of either, I can tell you that supporting MacOS is a nightmare but at least Apple has always been an absent parent who never even pretended they're helpful versus one that constantly lets you down by showing up with cool stuff trying to be a buddy and just almost instantly loving it up and making everything worse, and just arbitrarily changes things around on you year after year.

Enjoy your Microsoft Entra ID!

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Be sure to check out the free Aperture Desk Job. It took me way too long to remember that existed, and it's a nice introduction to the platform.

Aperture Desk Job is a superb demo for the Steamdeck.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Subjunctive posted:

Enjoy your Microsoft Entra ID!

:mad:

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Anyone install the unofficial patch for Vampire Bloodlines on the deck? Wondering how it runs.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
While it’s tempting to try and install Windows 11 on my Deck, I’d be giving up all that sweet, sweet optimization that’s built into SteamOS. Replacing SteamOS with Windows doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Anyone here tried SteamOS 3.5? Are the new scaling modes (stretch/fill etc.) actually worth looking forward to?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don’t know what Big Picture Mode was like when they originally rolled it out years ago and why it had such a bad reputation. But the current version is basically just the Steam Deck UI and I’m perfectly fine with that. It’s ideal for me, even.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Admittedly I haven't used Desktop mode very much on my Steam Deck but from the brief amounts I have it seems like it would take very little work to get it to handle 99% of the things the average Windows user would want out of a Desktop PC environment(so more or less Internet Browsing, basic Media functionality, and basic Office functionality) assuming you have a keyboard and mouse to use with it as well as a dock of some form for extra USB ports and connecting to a TV or Monitor, like if something screwed up my current laptop my deck could fill the role reasonably well till I got it fixed or replaced

Also on the Destiny talk, I would legitimately be willing to buy a PC port of the first game if it were to ever happen

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

RandolphCarter posted:

Anyone install the unofficial patch for Vampire Bloodlines on the deck? Wondering how it runs.

I tried installing the GOG version that has the patch already installed but I couldn’t get it working on Lutris. I need to try it again

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Would hope that something that runs on Source would work well on the Steam console.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

njsykora posted:

I am playing Need for Speed Heat way more than I expected on the Deck.

same but NFS Underground 2

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

tater_salad posted:

is it still the best NFS? i stopped bothering to even try after the first ~live service~ one

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Truga posted:

is it still the best NFS? i stopped bothering to even try after the first ~live service~ one

Need For Speed is like Kirby or Zelda games where if you ask NFS fans what the best is they'll give you a dozen different answers. The really well liked ones are generally NFS3, Underground 1+2 (I prefer 1), Most Wanted 2005, ProStreet, Hot Pursuit 2010, Most Wanted 2012 (EA stop reusing names dammit) and some people will make an argument for Heat to be among them too.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the pc version of porsche unleashed was really good too

Weedle
May 31, 2006

has anyone gotten their deck to play grand prix legends

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

tater_salad posted:

Same but Forza horizon 4. I bought it in the sale and it's been pretty fun. I bought the not latest nfs (heat?) when it was 3 dollars but it didn't really hook me. My only complaint is that some of the seasonal junk is tied to teaming up and I'm not sure if there's many players online or if sleep mode isn't allowing me to reconnect to servers or something. I'm not able to find matches and it just times out.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 14, 2023

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

AgentF posted:

Would hope that something that runs on Source would work well on the Steam console.

Obligatory * as it was built (barely) in an alpha version of Source — iirc its release was delayed to the date of HL2’s release bc HL2 contractually had to be the first Source game to be out there. Steam left it behind almost immediately.

Also by that time Troika had been dissolved and the programmers were desperately patching as wildcat laborers, smdh. It’s a testament to the fan base that it’s functional at all.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

Same but Forza horizon 4. I bought it in the sale and it's been pretty fun. I bought the not latest nfs (heat?) when it was 3 dollars but it didn't really hook me. My only complaint is that some of the seasonal junk is tied to teaming up and I'm not sure if there's many players online or if sleep mode isn't allowing me to reconnect to servers or something. I'm not able to find matches and it just times out.

Yeah I tried this on Xbox streaming and can't do it. I don't wanna rebuy it and do all the poo poo I've done again.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Also, if you somehow missed it over the past almost-10-years, GTA Online is a pretty good racer with a TON of car poo poo in it.

This is coming from not-a-car-guy, but I love that game for the vastly different things you can do in it, not the least of which is become a virtual car guy, through and through.

Plays great on the deck too.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

With Baldurs Gate 3 coming out soon, does anyone have any impressions of how early access played? I suppose I could always Moonlight it or something since it's turn based if the deck can't do a great job natively.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Early access is an extremely poor representation of games like that IMHO so I don't think it would be a great indicator of how it performs.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Harlock posted:

With Baldurs Gate 3 coming out soon, does anyone have any impressions of how early access played? I suppose I could always Moonlight it or something since it's turn based if the deck can't do a great job natively.

Runs fairly well on medium settings.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don’t know what Big Picture Mode was like when they originally rolled it out years ago and why it had such a bad reputation. But the current version is basically just the Steam Deck UI and I’m perfectly fine with that. It’s ideal for me, even.

"Oops I accidentally pressed the PS/Xbox button while picking up my controller and a jittery laggy splash screen took over the monitor. Let's see, there's a way to close all this somewhere in the corner... gently caress it I'll go over to my keyboard and hit alt+F4."

Big picture is fine. Compared to other game and emulator Windows frontends, it's fine. Controller works.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Giggy posted:

Are there any easy guides on how to go about torrenting :filez: for a new steam deck user?

It's not about the downloading but earlier on in my post history (click the ? under my name) I posted a big bulleted list about how to install non-Steam games in a way that works well with the Dreck.

Though at this point I mostly just buy stuff from Steam because it's so dang easy.

Good jorb, Gabe.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Say what you will about storefronts but Valve making Proton open source and continuing to work on it is pretty frickin' cool and I hope they keep doing that

Xpforr
Sep 7, 2022

So I’m about to start FONV and I wanna install mods, would Vortex Mod Manager be the best/only option? I was googling earlier but was getting mixed results on how to install mods on the SD

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I can't get battle.net to update on my steam deck. It keeps telling me there is an update and redownloading and then will never appply it when it restarts. As of now Diablo 4 still updates and works fine but I assume battle.net is going to break it eventually. Has anyone figured out how to do this? I originally installed it with Lutris. I tried reinstalling it and it installed a newer version that will also not update.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
speaking of Destiny: anyone run Destiny 2 on a Windows SD card (where both OS and game are on the card)? How dreadful is the performance? Some day I might get an SSD upgrade and dual boot but curious if this would work in a pinch, since I have the SD card already so it wouldn't cost anything.

want to catch up to the last couple seasons of story (last thing I saw was amanda dying), but stuck away from home for a couple weeks. Last time I was here I used GeForce Now and it was playable but rough, even on my good wired connection - something about Destiny's weird custom engine really does not like to stream video, like the frame rate limiter causes lots of tearing and jitter (I remember it being a mess trying Steam Remote Play as well).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

speaking of Destiny: anyone run Destiny 2 on a Windows SD card (where both OS and game are on the card)? How dreadful is the performance? Some day I might get an SSD upgrade and dual boot but curious if this would work in a pinch, since I have the SD card already so it wouldn't cost anything.

want to catch up to the last couple seasons of story (last thing I saw was amanda dying), but stuck away from home for a couple weeks. Last time I was here I used GeForce Now and it was playable but rough, even on my good wired connection - something about Destiny's weird custom engine really does not like to stream video, like the frame rate limiter causes lots of tearing and jitter (I remember it being a mess trying Steam Remote Play as well).

Yeah I did. It’s fine but windows is gonna take 100 years to load and if you aren’t consistent with loading into windows on the regular you’ll have a bunch of bullshit updates and stuff that will start.

It only takes about 30-45 min to do it so just try it for your self and see. It’s easy to get setup.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
https://www.codeweavers.com/blog/mjohnson/2023/7/13/why-fixing-pooshooter-toilet-invaders-on-proton-was-definitely-not-a-waste

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Steam Deck: fixing PooShooter: Toilet Invaders was definitely not a waste