Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Having sex with the caregiver that changed your diapers is certainly a choice.

The whole exchange with the bride-to-be was odd to me. She offers...dyes, he offers the capitol of the galaxy and it isn't commensurate? I guess next time send better assassins, Domina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Notes:

- Cleon assassin fight should have had Pace sporting a massive and visible erection

- The new Cleon with the gene changes seems to call for Pace hamming it up even more so I'm in for the season even if the show is bad

- This is the type of sci-fi written by writers who only understand popsci articles written on ilovescience

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Legs Benedict posted:

there’s even a scene where they basically say it out loud

i'm not going to watch it but i'd be interested to read an elaboration on this

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Wafflecopper posted:

i'm not going to watch it but i'd be interested to read an elaboration on this

Gaal and Salvor are looking at a timeline and it splits off into two. One is blue and is whay should have happened, which I suppose is the book. The other is red and has a bunch of nodules representing bad stuff, which is the show.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
so its more in your face than last season where salvor said "psychohistory says one person can change everything!" :lol:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Can't wait to hate watch the living poo poo out of this tonight.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Watching from work....I have completely forgotten the first season but I am down with the Naked Lee Pace Saga.

Who is the decapitated woman Lee Pace is loving? Is she the robot in the I, Robot series?

Couldn't care less about the Saldon plot, just gently caress off.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I really enjoyed this first episode, it's some proper season 2 stuff where we get through the opening and immediately poo poo is happening. I also really like Hari's new character as insane vengeful spirit.

D-Pad posted:

- Cleon assassin fight should have had Pace sporting a massive and visible erection
This is unquestioned, also I enjoyed him shouting at the doctors "WILL SOMEBODY GET ME A SILKEN ROBE SO MY MANHOOD ISN'T SWINGING AROUND". If we have Cleon getting increasingly crazy over the course of the season it's gonna be a fun time if nothing else.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Those rings around Trantor at arbitrary angles look stupid as fuuuuuuuuck

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Data Graham posted:

Those rings around Trantor at arbitrary angles look stupid as fuuuuuuuuck

that didnt bother me so much as like

when the star bridge or whatever got bombed in s1, they talked a lot about how the empire didn’t really have the wherewithal to build big projects like that anymore which felt like a narrative indicator of how decayed the empire had become

here we are 137 years later and it sure looks like they embarked on an engineering project not only on the level of the space elevator in terms of scope but actually far larger than it.

like… okay… seems a bit weird

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Jesus Christ this is the dumbest show

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Jesus Christ this is the dumbest show

yeah it rules

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Legs Benedict posted:

yeah it rules

I mean, we’re contributing to the views and hence more seasons, so maybe we’re the dummies

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

i have hatewatched far worse than this tbh

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

My issue isn’t that it’s bad but that it could be so much better.

Some of the poo poo is just whack.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

stephenthinkpad posted:

Watching from work....I have completely forgotten the first season but I am down with the Naked Lee Pace Saga.

Who is the decapitated woman Lee Pace is loving? Is she the robot in the I, Robot series?

Couldn't care less about the Saldon plot, just gently caress off.

Yes, the robot lady is Daneel from the robot (I don't remember if he's in I, Robot) series of books with Elijah Baley, the detective.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I keep thinking about how there's got to be a making-of crew hovering around just dying to show off how they built these massive awesome sets to do things like Seldon stepping out onto a rotating wall/floor that's up on hydraulics to ensure he's standing at the correct angle, or a camera swooping all around him at high speed in 150 different wild shots in a darkened football stadium that took three weeks to shoot for the opening freakout scene

And then the whole thing is just 150% CGI and setpieces that disappear into distance fog

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Rappaport posted:

Yes, the robot lady is Daneel from the robot (I don't remember if he's in I, Robot) series of books with Elijah Baley, the detective.

And also at this point in galactic history robots are a myth that like 5 people know about but I guess everyone does now lol

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

MarcusSA posted:

My issue isn’t that it’s bad but that it could be so much better.

Some of the poo poo is just whack.

Basically it shouldn't be called Foundation.

But I always thought the Foundation novels were pretty weak so no big loses.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

Basically it shouldn't be called Foundation.

But I always thought the Foundation novels were pretty weak so no big loses.

Yeah pretty much.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

what the gently caress even is this show

they just hop from one easily-solved gibberish sci fi problem to another. I'm not even gonna call it technobabble.

absolutely gonna keep watching

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The robot girl uses nanomachines to fix herself. Pretty sure she didn't do it in S1.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Just don’t worry about what happened in season 1.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
harry seldon and the hottie powered time cube.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

stephenthinkpad posted:

The robot girl uses nanomachines to fix herself. Pretty sure she didn't do it in S1.

she repairs some internal damage using them in s1

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Legs Benedict posted:

yeah it rules

This show is so loving dumb and bad

I'll be tuning in next week

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
I just saw it. Amazing how Salvor Hardin manages to poo poo all over her "parents", the loving people that carried her to terms, fed her, clothed, her, taught her everything she knew, only to have her meet Gaal and go "I'm your daughter, I always knew it." Sure Goyer, just poo poo right on the fact that those two people apparently had no influence on her live whatsoever...

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
show could just be nude cleon strutting around yelling at people and banging immortal robot mommy and id watch it

actually that would be an improvement cause the rest of it sucks

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Yep, for me this is the Cleon show starring Lee Pace.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

DropsySufferer posted:

Yep, for me this is the Cleon show starring Lee Pace.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Dusk Cleon "you shouldn't be wheeling your robot nanny"

Day Cleon "A. Some other Cleon also did it, and B. actually she was wheeling me :smug:"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Gaal/Salvor plot is definitely the weakest, especially now that they no longer are moored to any specific plot. Also I guess we're supposed to be at the point of the story where the Foundation is acting as a religion except we don't really get to see it because we spent all our time with characters not actually at the Foundation.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Are the people from the foundation from last season dead now? Maybe they shouldn't wait two years between seasons for shows that are already impossible to follow.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Are the people from the foundation from last season dead now? Maybe they shouldn't wait two years between seasons for shows that are already impossible to follow.

That's pretty much how the book goes, it jumps from crisis to crisis with X years in between. There's really no character continuity to speak of other than hologram Hari Seldon.

So naturally the show throws that out the window.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Yes, it has been 138 years since last season so all the Foundation people are dead except for Gaal and Salvor.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

muscles like this! posted:

The Gaal/Salvor plot is definitely the weakest, especially now that they no longer are moored to any specific plot. Also I guess we're supposed to be at the point of the story where the Foundation is acting as a religion except we don't really get to see it because we spent all our time with characters not actually at the Foundation.

Sure do love a plotline centered around "one character is vaguely mad at another character for reasons that don't make any sense and are nobody's fault and therefore can't be resolved satisfactorily"

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

That's pretty much how the book goes, it jumps from crisis to crisis with X years in between. There's really no character continuity to speak of other than hologram Hari Seldon.

So naturally the show throws that out the window.

They replaced the tape recording Seldon with extreme cyberpunk altered carbon Seldon to rile up Isaac Asimov in the grave.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The problem with an active Seldon means you don't get that fun moment where they go to watch a recording to see what he says about the Mule and he stars talking about an unrelated thing.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

Which is a huge problem of the show. "Empire" and Trantor anchor the viewer more to the show than the Foundation, the thing that is front and center in the books. I don't even mind that this side of the story is so prominent, it's obviously the best part of the show but it really highlights how much they dropped the ball on the rest.
And yeah Gaal/Salvor are both a black hole of charisma and just so generic/blank. The script obviously doesn't help them and while I don't enjoy bashing actor performances they are definitely a part of the problem too (Gaal has imo more potential, I think she could work with better direction but Salvor is just bad).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

That was... actually fine. Folks are being pretty hyperbolic about how bad it is, I was expecting much worse.

I think it's foolish to expect this show not to waste its potential. It's got a terrible follow through with its interesting ideas, but this episode at least was not the terrible stuff yet.

Were Trantor's huge rings a silly waste of resources? Yes! In the text of the show, no less! It was actually a neat concept and a natural evolution of the falling Empire. They lost their (quite practical) space elevator last season, and their inability to rebuild it was potentially a huge sign of weakness and decay. So in the next couple centuries what did they do? Harness all their resources to make a mega project 10 times more visually impressive! No one could look at that and think that Empire can't direct its resources however it pleases! Except... they directed it to that project because they were afraid of being seen as weak.

That's a cool concept! Good job, Foundation, the dumb rings around Trantor are visually cool, and conceptually nuanced! You found a way to put something that's dumb but looks cool into your show in an organic way that tells the story you're trying to tell! A+ on the dumb rings!

Hari navigating the 4D maze was almost good. I liked the bit where he was hitting stuff in every direction- we're shown (in a kind of abstract way) that he's trapped in a little triangle bubble. And then he's like, "wait a minute, there's another direction" and he's climbing out of a triangular hole. He remembered that there was another direction. That's kind of cool, but a bit abstract and hard to follow, so I understand if that was just meaningless shapes for most people. They did their best to present it as meaningless shapes, after all.

We didn't see much about Terminus, but what we saw was promising. To reiterate: this show is all about squandering promise, so if it goes nowhere I won't be surprised, but the haven't squandered it yet. I like the little shipping container village is now a small city with prominent space ports. I like that the Warden, a title that a weirdo loner once held, is now the name for the chief of their military. There was a little emblem of the Vault on that mayor guy's collar, and they were speaking reverently of the prophet. Interesting social developments have happened! This is teasing good stuff!

It's really good that they jettisoned everything from Terminus from last season. We're supposed to be getting a vast arc of history, and that's how you're gonna get one- drop everyone and move on. Revisit a setting centuries later without anyone you still know kicking about, but the structures and society they help shape still kicking and progressing. Blank slate Terminus is the good poo poo. (Potentially. If they miss, which is plausible, even likely, at least they were aiming in the right direction.)

The inherently, conceptually conservative Cleons dealing with a dying Empire by making bold, new plays has always been interesting, and continues to be. The ninja assassins were dumb in execution though, in exactly the way you'd expect from this show.

I might actually like what they're doing with the Prime Radiant. A sufficiently advanced equation is basically a computer program, and a computer program being conscious is something we've imagined before. Why not an equation? I like that Hari carefully explained that only the equations of those women, not some engram of the memory of them, made it into the Prime Radiant. What was speaking to him was pure math, sufficiently complex to have a will. Sure, why not? Is it hard sci-fi? Nope. Is it Asimov? Not really. Is it neat? Kinda? I'm willing to roll with it at least.

Of course, to me, given this show's values, I'm pretty sure that (speculation, not based on the books) the writers understand Math to be the pure nature of the universe... and if they're saying the pure nature of the universe has a consciousness and a will they're obviously talking about one potential being: God. Hari is a prophet. He may think he's reached his conclusion based on math, but it is in fact a loving God that he has discovered, inherent to the universe, and Hari is Her prophet.

All the characters dealing with believing in or doubting Hari's Plan are blatantly people dealing with the incomprehensibility of God's Plan in the real world, with the ultimate message being that you just need to have faith, even if you don't understand where things are going. In fact, all you need is faith.

The subtitles actually capitalize "Plan", by the way.

Is that Asimov? gently caress no. This ain't Asimov at all. It's anathema to Asimov's worldview.

Is it bad? Eh. It's a powerful theme, interestingly transposed into a sci-fi setting. I'm interested in seeing where it goes.