Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
The first volume or so of Helck has a very weird vibe, so if the anime is hard to pin down that could just be the source material. It isn’t bad or anything, but I definitely bounced off it at least once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

Endorph posted:

what on earth is that av

in my defense I didn't buy it for myself, I just said that Musk's mom had "evil GILF energy" and got probated for it and someone thought it was funny

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
redeem yourself bocchi bandit, save this poster

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
Summoning all Piwi avatar havers...

I'm pretty happy with the adaption so far besides the usual "how long will this be?" concerns inherent to adaptions. There's an official English release of the manga volumes too now I might pick up: https://www.viz.com/read/manga/helck-volume-1/product/7312

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Caught up with Summer anime yesterday and I have to say, while my first foray into GoHands' work left me grossed out at the future of anime integrating CGI, the second episode of The Girl I Like Forgot Her Glasses wasn't AS terrible and the story/art apart from the smooth, rounded CGI background is actually quite cute. The Masterful Cat is Depressed Again Today has such an odd premise that just goes with the weird camera angles and funny-looking CGI. All in all, interesting enough to keep both going.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

nrook posted:

The first volume or so of Helck has a very weird vibe, so if the anime is hard to pin down that could just be the source material. It isn’t bad or anything, but I definitely bounced off it at least once.

Yeah, I don't know if it's like bad or anything. it's only been one episode. But it's a very incongruous combination of vibes to bring together in one show. Maybe they'll pull it off, maybe not. I guess I'll see.

It's hard to laugh when you've got this ominous sensation that Helck is about to murder everyone in cold blood, ya know?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What if you approached it as black comedy?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Megafunk posted:

Summoning all Piwi avatar havers...

I'm pretty happy with the adaption so far besides the usual "how long will this be?" concerns inherent to adaptions. There's an official English release of the manga volumes too now I might pick up: https://www.viz.com/read/manga/helck-volume-1/product/7312

It's 2 cours back to back

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Helck episode was good, glad to see we might get a competent, if not exceptional adaptation. Vamilio's (Vermillio?) and Helck's voice actors are both fit for the role which is the thing I was hoping for the most.

The other thing is I hope the anime ditches all the Piwi focus cause he sucks and never should have been as prominent in the manga as he was.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pan Dulce posted:

Caught up with Summer anime yesterday and I have to say, while my first foray into GoHands' work left me grossed out at the future of anime integrating CGI
gohands are not in fact the future of the industry

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
You say that, but they are animation production to advance.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Go hands, more like NoHands cause it might have been made that way

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Anime has been using CG for decades though.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Waffleman_ posted:

Anime has been using CG for decades though.

And it's even been good in a decent number of cases!

CG technology has actually gotten pretty impressive in recent years, the challenge is using it well. If you just throw CG people or mechs or whatever on screen it usually looks cheap, so you actually do have to use proper direction and have good scene composition and properly emphasize motion and impact... Which isn't all that different from the things you need to do in traditional 2D animation (though CGI stuff has to be handled very slightly differently). If Gohands has a track record for off-putting, bad looking stuff that's on them more than its on CG, correlation and causation and all that.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
The Baki cg got really weird at times

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There's plenty of subjective ways to view the use of CGI in animation. The big one for me is in composition. If the CGI works with the rest of the image it's fine but if it doesn't it sticks out like a sore thumb.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
I liked the old series Initial D janky car cgi

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Wonder how many manga artists still do regular ink. Drawing pad is probably the norm now (and you can tell too)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GateOfD posted:

Wonder how many manga artists still do regular ink. Drawing pad is probably the norm now (and you can tell too)
apparently the march comes in like a lion artist hadnt done any drawing on a computer in their entire life until they were commissioned to design a character for fate/grand order

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

3d can look kind of out of place but i really don't think that's 1/4th as important as everyone else seems to

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
why 3D when 2D is already the best dimension

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

every dimension is equally good in my heart

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dimension X is the cool dimension

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

GateOfD posted:

airing next season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJaRegMCbNQ

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
MF Ghost

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the bang dream anime airing this season did a pov episode that would have been way harder with 2d. like possible but more of a burden on a tv budget. the og im@s anime did a pov episode but it cheated a lot more

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/4GamerNews/status/1679452494303477760?s=20

Nier will finally be airing the last three episodes on the 23rd

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

gonna be reading it as MotherFucking Ghost the whole time...
looks great

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/4GamerNews/status/1679452494303477760?s=20

Nier will finally be airing the last three episodes on the 23rd

A) that's 4 episodes not 3, and B) that's just finishing the first cour, it's supposed to be 2 cours long :shepface:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

GateOfD posted:

gonna be reading it as MotherFucking Ghost the whole time...
looks great

...it's not?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Julias posted:

A) that's 4 episodes not 3, and B) that's just finishing the first cour, it's supposed to be 2 cours long :shepface:

gently caress and I even had it as four the first time

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

GateOfD posted:

My favorite Jank CGI cars were the ones in the old 00s Black Jack series. There's ones from I think an OVA episode which seriously looked like it popped out of an early PSX game.

And they have a prolonged car chase they focus on throughout the episode. It's very funny.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

marumaru posted:

...it's not?

"MF" stands for "Most Fast"

marumaru
May 20, 2013

lol

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
MF Ghost was the tentative title for a cancelled Casper reboot starring Samuel Jackson

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Arc Hammer posted:

There's plenty of subjective ways to view the use of CGI in animation. The big one for me is in composition. If the CGI works with the rest of the image it's fine but if it doesn't it sticks out like a sore thumb.

There’s logic to this. No one minded the cg in Blue Sub 6 because the anime people walking around and the cg underwater submarine battles were never on screen at the same time.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Great Cleric is pretty amusing.
finally got around to ep1.

Hitting the jokes better than the other lazy cleric girl in the adventurer show.
Great Cleric is fine because she keeps the facade up for her job.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

every dimension is equally good in my heart

Dimension W wasn't particularly great.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Dimension W wasn't particularly great.

Its first few episodes were really good iirc before it fell off, so it has a place in my heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
the W stands for (dead) Wife